SEC has 9 team projected to go to the NCAA Tourney | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SEC has 9 team projected to go to the NCAA Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s kinda hard to determine who is better when you’re arguing ACC vs SEC because some of the teams that finished at the top in the SEC (with the exemption of Tennessee and SC) didn’t really have the most challenging OOC slates.

Unless I’m overlooking, there also weren’t that many SEC vs ACC matchups with top teams this season to begin with. I know UGA, Auburn, Tennessee, and SC had a couple but I can’t really think of any others. But some of those were common matchups. I think both UGA and Auburn played GT, with GT splitting those 1-1.
GA also beat Notre Dame on a neutral court. However, Louisville did beat Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Is the NCAA tournament committee and certain conference promoting ESPN paying attention? Probably not sadly.
What is there to pay attention to? Their losses to Fordham, USC, and St Johns? The OT win over Toledo?

Their best win is Princeton.
They went 4-4 against Dep Marq Vill Crei.

A big reason they went 11-2 down the stretch is 7 games against Gtown Xav Butl, three really bad teams.

I hope they do well in the WNIT but the idea that they’re disrespected is hogwash.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seton Hall coach Anthony Bozzella had some thoughts in the post game presser last night:

"But we're all frustrated because we felt we had a golden opportunity in front of us. But we have a really talented team, that takes a lot of pride starting with the point guard on my left, and we're going to come back and be really good. We finished the season 11 of our last 13. The lack of respect we receive from the national media and honestly from everyone around is really disgusting and disappointing.
I don't understand how we can win 11 of 13 and no one talked about us being one of the best teams. We lost to Creighton in double overtime and we lost to Villanova in a close game. We beat Villanova before we got here. We beat Creighton yesterday. We've beaten Princeton, which is a Top 25 team in the country. We've beaten Toledo, which only has four losses, is a top 60 team in the country. We won at DePaul.
And all everyone did is talk about everybody else. It's disgusting and disrespectful. And those people that look at the net and don't (expletive) cover women's basketball anymore. You have to watch the teams play.
If we're only going to watch a number, we don't need anybody out there. We don't. If you're going to watch a number then don't cover the game. Cover the game and watch the teams play. We have a damn good team, and the lack of respect we got was disgusting."

Seton Hall Pirates Postgame Media Conference
Here'a an idea, Bozzella.

How about, if you have such a talented roster with the likes of Park-Lane, Cooks and Espinoza-Hunter and you want to be recognized as a really good team, how about NOT losing by 19 to Fordham, by 14 to USC, by 13 to St. John's and by 12 to UCF?

Dude acts like he deserves a medal for playing spoiler to bubble teams. SMDH. When your NET is in the 90s that means you weren't good enough

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Use NET when it pleases...diss it when it doesn't...the SEC has three teams in Top 10 NET...five in Top 20...six in Top 30...nine in Top 60...

Reaction Score
Use NET when it pleases...diss it when it doesn't...the SEC has three teams in Top 10 NET...five in Top 20...six in Top 30...nine in Top 60...
I agree with the fact that people use these things to bolster their position (as I am here) . There are only 36 at-large bids in the tournament. Each conference gets one automatically which I support even though it often seems like a silly idea. My problem is when someone decides that a single conference "deserves" 9 bids. That takes 8 from the at-large pool. So that suggests the rest of the entire country has only 28 teams that were not conference champions (who are often underdogs having a great run to get an extra bid for their conference). That is ridiculous and does nothing to promote the women's game and hurts it everywhere else. Using the information above I would prefer 5 teams but can justify 6 as there is 6 in the top 30. Not 9. Remember we are talking 36 spots to fill not 68.

Plebe

Reaction Score
My problem is when someone decides that a single conference "deserves" 9 bids.
But no one is "deciding" that a conference deserves X number of buds. Each team's resume is evaluated on an individual basis. It's not like someone sits in a room and divvies up bids per conference like they were seats in the US House of Representatives.

Again, the old Big East routinely got 8 or 9 bids in the NCAA tournament. That wasn't because someone predetermined how many bids the Big East "deserved". It just shook out that way based on each team's body of work in a given season.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
No one "decides" that a conference deserves 9 bids. Teams are evaluated on their own.
So lets say a team went 16-0 in regular season conference play and has a half way decent OOC loses in the 2nd round of the conference tournament. Are you saying that a team that can't even get to .500 in their conference should be ahead of that team. Don't tell me they are evaluated on their own, the Power 5 get an automatic 5 teams and then they look at the others.

A couple of years ago I believe it was Dayton was excluded from the tournament and all heck broke loose. I believe that was one of the main reasons why the NCAA adopted using the NET. Many coaches and conferences said that NET wouldn't help even the field, it would only help the P5 conferences and they were right.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
What is there to pay attention to? Their losses to Fordham, USC, and St Johns? The OT win over Toledo?

Their best win is Princeton.
They went 4-4 against Dep Marq Vill Crei.

A big reason they went 11-2 down the stretch is 7 games against Gtown Xav Butl, three really bad teams.

I hope they do well in the WNIT but the idea that they’re disrespected is hogwash.
Your opinion, his that his team is disrespected. Honestly if ESPN didn't own certain conference networks would they promote those over every other?

Reaction Score
The Big East has 5 or 6 really good teams. After listening to the Seton Hall coach go off it got me to research why the Big East teams didn't get more respect. It is pretty easy to tell why after checking the data. They have good won/lost records. They pass the eye test. The problem is scheduling. Tons of teams with 0-2 records against ranked teams (read UConn). How do you expect the world outside of the Big East to think about you when you don't play ranked teams? One part is their schedule of 20 games + COVID. They, for the most part, chose to schedule record helpers rather than ranked schools. UConn has a strong OOC schedule every year. Makes you stronger and earns respect even if you lose hard fought games. Like the Smith-Barney adds of the past - you want respect you have to "earn it".

Reaction Score
My statement is true, ESPN owns the SEC and ACC networks.
You didn’t say ESPN - you said “the news media.”

Boston is the POY in the SEC.
And hardly earth shattering to say she’s NPOY. The only possible competitor is Clark.

And how exactly does this “promotion” work? Are the analysts instructed “don’t say what you believe; just make up good stuff about the SEC/ACC” ?

Are you seriously arguing that Lobo, Landers, Creme, Peck, etc all receive such orders. ?
And in all these years NOT A SINGLE analyst has ever left the network and said “I was forced to promote these conferences and to hell with objectivity.”

Not
One

But sure it’s all a conspiracy against YOUR team.

Reaction Score
Conferences getting 9 teams in the tourney bring back memories when the Big East ruled the NCAA Tourneys, truly the Beast of the East. In 2011 the Big East garnered 9 bids, with West Virginia with an 8-8 conference record received a #9 at-large bid.

1646676446102.png

Plebe

Reaction Score
The Big East has 5 or 6 really good teams. After listening to the Seton Hall coach go off it got me to research why the Big East teams didn't get more respect. It is pretty easy to tell why after checking the data. They have good won/lost records. They pass the eye test. The problem is scheduling. Tons of teams with 0-2 records against ranked teams (read UConn). How do you expect the world outside of the Big East to think about you when you don't play ranked teams? One part is their schedule of 20 games + COVID. They, for the most part, chose to schedule record helpers rather than ranked schools. UConn has a strong OOC schedule every year. Makes you stronger and earns respect even if you lose hard fought games. Like the Smith-Barney adds of the past - you want respect you have to "earn it".
You're right that some of the other BE teams need to improve their OOC scheduling, but it's not like we have no data on them against noteworthy OOC opponents revealing their overall level of quality.
  • Marquette got creamed by both Georgia (a borderline top 25 team) and Colorado (not a top 25 team but an NCAA tournament team).
  • Villanova was beaten soundly by Maryland and Princeton but did narrowly beat Oregon State (a fellow bubble team).
  • DePaul got destroyed by TAMU (a team not even postseason-eligible) but did get a good win at Kentucky. They were competitive with but ultimately lost to Notre Dame and Arizona.
  • Creighton got a nice road win at Arkansas and came up just short against Nebraska. They lost to South Dakota but beat South Dakota State (playing without its best player).
  • Seton Hall won over Princeton but lost by double digits to UCF, Fordham and USC.
  • St. John's went to a holiday tournament and placed 8th out of 8 teams by losing to Penn State, Charlotte and UCLA.
  • Providence lost home games to Boston College, UMass and Rhode Island (all of them bubble-ish teams).
I won't bother mentioning the records of Georgetown, Xavier and Butler.

Overall, notwithstanding a few decent wins here and there, not a compelling case.

Reaction Score
You are certainly right with your data. Of course I don't know, and don't know if you do either, if any other things came into play in those games. UConn lost some games they likely would have won with a full team for example. some of those losses look quite bad but I still am in favor of the BE teams scheduling those games in an attempt to get better. I want the BE to be a powerful and respected conference. Unfortunately Georgetown, Xavier, and especially Butler don't help the image. Most every conference has bottom dwellers that the other feed on. I know Maryland was a highly ranked team early and has been a huge disappointment lately (I don't know why). Villanova early in the season was without Maddy and lost some games then but are much better now. When that game occurred it might have been a different result than compared to now. I'm a big BE advocate and I want to see those games and have the teams get more exposure with better teams. I know Seton Halled had huge virus issues earlier. Hopefully the losses will become wins in the next few years as I see the conference getting better and has even during this year.

Reaction Score
One more thing that hurts teams trying to get better is the way conference scheduling work currently most OOC games must happen early in the season. Many use them to tune up good teams, others to pad their records. Teams that have recruited well are at times forced to play these good opponents have to play before their team has a chance to gel. I saw another post suggesting two time periods with no conference scheduling - one before the conference schedule and another in the middle. I wish that could be the norm so both can happen. Get god games when both are at their best for a true look at what they have. UConn seems to like playing their great OOC games later in the season for this reason.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
You didn’t say ESPN - you said “the news media.”

Boston is the POY in the SEC.
And hardly earth shattering to say she’s NPOY. The only possible competitor is Clark.

And how exactly does this “promotion” work? Are the analysts instructed “don’t say what you believe; just make up good stuff about the SEC/ACC” ?

Are you seriously arguing that Lobo, Landers, Creme, Peck, etc all receive such orders. ?
And in all these years NOT A SINGLE analyst has ever left the network and said “I was forced to promote these conferences and to hell with objectivity.”

Not
One

But sure it’s all a conspiracy against YOUR team.
Who pays them? Where did Landers coach, Peck? Sorry for not directly mention the network that broadcasts the SEC games, the WCBB tournament and owns the SEC and ACC networks.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Conferences getting 9 teams in the tourney bring back memories when the Big East ruled the NCAA Tourneys, truly the Beast of the East. In 2011 the Big East garnered 9 bids, with West Virginia with an 8-8 conference record received a #9 at-large bid.

View attachment 74102
And that was too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member