SEC has 9 team projected to go to the NCAA Tourney | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SEC has 9 team projected to go to the NCAA Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well Georgia did take out the ACC tournament and regular season champ on their home floor if that means anything.

But ACC bottom Feeder Duke came within 9 points of the REGULAR season Champion of the SEC.. :eek:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
would that be the teams of Georgia Tech, Duke that spiraled to end the season? Or the irish who were losing 31-3 at home to Louisville? And South Carolina won AT Nc st. I'll stick with the Sec.

Hey.... I didn't say the ACC was the better conference... I'm just reporting that people around here are saying the ACC is the best conference.

Reaction Score
Hey.... I didn't say the ACC was the better conference... I'm just reporting that people around here are saying the ACC is the best conference.
well if the Acc gets 8 or 9 teams let me know, because the Sec will.

Reaction Score
Oy ve
Folks like to see boogeymen everywhere
Laurie Strode
“It was the boogeyman.....”

Loomis
“As a matter of fact it was”

I wish I knew how to edit the film clip and put it into this reply. Forgive me. I am a dinosaur using an iPhone.

Reaction Score
would that be the teams of Georgia Tech, Duke that spiraled to end the season? Or the irish who were losing 31-3 at home to Louisville? And South Carolina won AT Nc st. I'll stick with the Sec.

It’s kinda hard to determine who is better when you’re arguing ACC vs SEC because some of the teams that finished at the top in the SEC (with the exemption of Tennessee and SC) didn’t really have the most challenging OOC slates.

Unless I’m overlooking, there also weren’t that many SEC vs ACC matchups with top teams this season to begin with. I know UGA, Auburn, Tennessee, and SC had a couple but I can’t really think of any others. But some of those were common matchups. I think both UGA and Auburn played GT, with GT splitting those 1-1.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
the conference is the best in basketball, not an outrageous decision. Look how the conference did out of conference, they won games vs other conferences.
No doubt!

I was particularly impressed at how Ole Miss dominated Belmont, Kentucky dominated DePaul, Florida dominated Towson and George Mason, Missouri dominated Missouri State, Arkansas dominated Creighton and UCF, Alabama dominated Tulane, Mississippi State dominated Troy, Texas A&M dominated TCU, and Auburn dominated Old Dominion, Georgia Southern and Little Rock.

Perhaps you can knit them a banner that says "SEC #1 Unanimous".

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Missouri has a win over South Carolina and a road win at Florida. The sheer quality of those two wins goes a long way toward overcoming the quantity of their losses.

Arkansas has a win over LSU. There aren't many teams on the bubble that have a win that good (except Missouri, of course).

DePaul has a road win at Kentucky, which has appreciated in value in the past few days, but at this point that's the only non-bubble team that DePaul has beaten.

Marquette's resume is even weaker than DePaul's. They looked awful in their significant preseason games (vs. Colorado and Georgia) and their best wins are over Creighton and ... DePaul.

I have a feeling that no one on this board was complaining back in the heyday of the old Big East when 8 or 9 BE teams would get bids.
The Big East would get teams in the Final Four and win multiple National Championships, the SEC has how many? When was that?

Reaction Score
No doubt!

I was particularly impressed at how Ole Miss dominated Belmont, Kentucky dominated DePaul, Florida dominated Towson and George Mason, Missouri dominated Missouri State, Arkansas dominated Creighton and UCF, Alabama dominated Tulane, Mississippi State dominated Troy, Texas A&M dominated TCU, and Auburn dominated Old Dominion, Georgia Southern and Little Rock.

Can’t forget how LSU dominated FGCU and how Vanderbilt dominated Middle Tennessee and Arkansas-Little Rock :D:D

Reaction Score
No doubt!

idk some schools have trouble beating Miami, Boston College, and even winless Uva in conference, maybe we shouldn't talk about other conferences until that stops happening.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Disagree. Their nonconf sked has some clunkers. Nichols TX Southern one other.
A tougher sked would help their resume.
Three Quad 4 opponents in the OOC. If you look at the other bubble teams' resumes, all of them played at least that many Quad 4 games. It's not the thing that makes or breaks DePaul's case for a bid. It comes down to how they performed in the significant games they had. Florida State, another team right near the cut line, played like 6 of those teams.

Reaction Score
Can’t forget how LSU dominated FGCU and how Vanderbilt dominated Middle Tennessee and Arkansas-Little Rock :D:D
or Arizona winning over Louisville in the opener, my favorite win of the wbb season :)

Reaction Score
Three Quad 4 opponents in the OOC. If you look at the other bubble teams' resumes, all of them played at least that many Quad 4 games. It's not the thing that makes or breaks DePaul's case for a bid. It comes down to how they performed in the significant games they had. Florida State, another team right near the cut line, played like 6 of those teams.
DePaul played 16 Q3 & Q4 games. Florida St 10. Even MIssouriSt only played 14.

When you're in a conference with a chunk of dead weight, you need a stronger OOC.
The average NET of their wins is 171, far worse than most bubble teams.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
As a UCONN fan, I find it very difficult to be critical of any other league, when you look at the league we are in!

Plebe

Reaction Score
The Big East would get teams in the Final Four and win multiple National Championships, the SEC has how many? When was that?
That's a non sequitur. The AAC had a team reach the Final Four six years in a row, including 3 national championships, but that doesn't mean the AAC should've had more teams in the tournament.

The Big East teams other than UConn that reached the tournament made it on the merits of their own individual resumes. They weren't just handed the bids because they happened to be in the same conference as UConn.

Reaction Score
There is talk around these parts that the ACC is the best conference this season.
the conference is the best in basketball, not an outrageous decision. Look how the conference did out of conference, they won games vs other conferences. That's like punishing an Sec team in a bowl game saying, oh they went 6-6 yea in the Sec with Bama/Lsu/Florida/Georgia/Auburn.
Massey has the Big 12 and Pac 12 ahead of both SEC and ACC. I don't know his methodology, but it's not just based on out of conference win percentage.

Reaction Score
The arguments in the thread sometimes anger me as much as the Seton Hall coach was after their game today. He is absolutely right. People talk about quad wins - if your conference is not respected you get dumped into quad 3 even with great records. Like with stocks past performance is not a guarantee of future success. So what happens - they stick a team into the tournament to push their narritive as a 16 and surprise the #1 beats them. That coach also said that those trashing the BE think UConn is not a top team and they are just stupid. I get sick of seeing the SEC not only supposedly taking over women's basketball with their dollars but this board also. No complaint about SC. They schedule UConn every year and those are great games. In SEC/BE play one or the other wins. Doesn't mean the other conference sucks. Use the eye test. End of rant.

Reaction Score
Massey has the Big 12 and Pac 12 ahead of both SEC and ACC. I don't know his methodology, but it's not just based on out of conference win percentage.
Pac 12 I won't debate that if people feel that, I said next season Pac 12 will be far and away the best conference. Big 12 is a bit harder to judge because only 10 teams.

Plebe

Reaction Score
idk some schools have trouble beating Miami, Boston College, and even winless Uva in conference, maybe we shouldn't talk about other conferences until that stops happening.
What are you even talking about. That has nothing to do with what I said or with the topic of the thread.

Reaction Score
As a UCONN fan, I find it very difficult to be critical of any other league, when you look at the league we are in!
this right here, which is why you can't judge what UConn is going to do in the tournament. Playing bunch of schools that are under 500 and have no chance of being competitive. To put it in perspective this are some of the records of the schools Uconn has played the past month before the big east tournament.

11-17 11-19 10-19 8-17, and 3 teams that are not going to make the tournament. Villanova made the final and is in the bubble meaning that if they don't win they are out. Somehow Creighton who loses to Seton Hall LOL, is a "9 seed." Expect them to be one and done in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I've said it elsewhere, but on the women's side, the BE's schedule size is a big detriment. It's 20 conference games when there are no forfeits/cancellations. With the exception of the PAC-12, I believe all the P5 conferences run 18 or 16 game schedules.

When you have as much deadweight as the women's BE, running a home-and-home against every other conference team is a double whammy. You take a SOS hit from the weaker teams, and you have two or four fewer slots to schedule decent OOC competition.

If the league were strong, like the men's BE or the PAC-12, it wouldn't hurt so much. But ultimately I'm of the opinion that no conference should have more than 18 games. You want as many OOC games between strong teams as possible to gauge where the teams and conferences stand.

If I had a magic wand to completely remake basketball schedules, I'd mandate a maximum conference schedule of 16, and also set aside certain periods during the year where conference games can't be scheduled. I'd have one such period at the beginning of the year, and a second in late Jan. or early February, each of three weeks in length. This should have the effect of starting the conference season earlier, while allowing teams to schedule some nice OOC games in the 2nd half of the season without worrying about it interfering with conference games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
DePaul also has a loss to Texas A&M.

While I’m not sure the SEC should have 9 teams, if you’re not in a P5 conference and want to have a legitimate case for the tournament you HAVE to schedule a rather challenging non-conference schedule and win. As a BE team or any non P5, your opportunities for resume boosting wins are just few and far between.
I just like to point out that the P5 is a football designation that isn’t relevant for basketball. But yeah, strength of schedule matters.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
That's a non sequitur. The AAC had a team reach the Final Four six years in a row, including 3 national championships, but that doesn't mean the AAC should've had more teams in the tournament.

The Big East teams other than UConn that reached the tournament made it on the merits of their own individual resumes. They weren't just handed the bids because they happened to be in the same conference as UConn.
The resume of the SEC is bolstered by the news media financially invested in the SEC. Has the National Player of The Year Been voted on yet? No but during yesterday's SEC final broadcast Boston was declared the NPOY. Same broadcast group has stated that SC's seeding wouldn't change even after losing to an unranked team. As a fan I would rather watch multiple teams from mid majors make the tournament than 9 years from self proclaimed and media proclaimed best conferences. When the best conferences start winning multiple National Championships multiple teams from the bottom of those conferences put in the tournament advancing every year far into the tournament then I will possibly change my opinion. Why in in basketball only is not the SCurve followed with no exceptions. It is done that way in other NCAA sports?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Seton Hall coach Anthony Bozzella had some thoughts in the post game presser last night:

"But we're all frustrated because we felt we had a golden opportunity in front of us. But we have a really talented team, that takes a lot of pride starting with the point guard on my left, and we're going to come back and be really good. We finished the season 11 of our last 13. The lack of respect we receive from the national media and honestly from everyone around is really disgusting and disappointing.
I don't understand how we can win 11 of 13 and no one talked about us being one of the best teams. We lost to Creighton in double overtime and we lost to Villanova in a close game. We beat Villanova before we got here. We beat Creighton yesterday. We've beaten Princeton, which is a Top 25 team in the country. We've beaten Toledo, which only has four losses, is a top 60 team in the country. We won at DePaul.
And all everyone did is talk about everybody else. It's disgusting and disrespectful. And those people that look at the net and don't (expletive) cover women's basketball anymore. You have to watch the teams play.
If we're only going to watch a number, we don't need anybody out there. We don't. If you're going to watch a number then don't cover the game. Cover the game and watch the teams play. We have a damn good team, and the lack of respect we got was disgusting."

Seton Hall Pirates Postgame Media Conference

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Seton Hall coach Anthony Bozzella had some thoughts in the post game presser last night:

"But we're all frustrated because we felt we had a golden opportunity in front of us. But we have a really talented team, that takes a lot of pride starting with the point guard on my left, and we're going to come back and be really good. We finished the season 11 of our last 13. The lack of respect we receive from the national media and honestly from everyone around is really disgusting and disappointing.
I don't understand how we can win 11 of 13 and no one talked about us being one of the best teams. We lost to Creighton in double overtime and we lost to Villanova in a close game. We beat Villanova before we got here. We beat Creighton yesterday. We've beaten Princeton, which is a Top 25 team in the country. We've beaten Toledo, which only has four losses, is a top 60 team in the country. We won at DePaul.
And all everyone did is talk about everybody else. It's disgusting and disrespectful. And those people that look at the net and don't (expletive) cover women's basketball anymore. You have to watch the teams play.
If we're only going to watch a number, we don't need anybody out there. We don't. If you're going to watch a number then don't cover the game. Cover the game and watch the teams play. We have a damn good team, and the lack of respect we got was disgusting."

Seton Hall Pirates Postgame Media Conference
Is the NCAA tournament committee and certain conference promoting ESPN paying attention? Probably not sadly.

Reaction Score
It’s kinda hard to determine who is better when you’re arguing ACC vs SEC because some of the teams that finished at the top in the SEC (with the exemption of Tennessee and SC) didn’t really have the most challenging OOC slates.

Unless I’m overlooking, there also weren’t that many SEC vs ACC matchups with top teams this season to begin with. I know UGA, Auburn, Tennessee, and SC had a couple but I can’t really think of any others. But some of those were common matchups. I think both UGA and Auburn played GT, with GT splitting those 1-1.
NC State loss to both SC and GA on their home court but only had 1 loss in the ACC. Tennessee went to Blacksburg and defeated Va. Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom