SEC has 9 team projected to go to the NCAA Tourney | The Boneyard

SEC has 9 team projected to go to the NCAA Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This to me should not happen. You have Missouri and Arkansas with loosing records in conference Then you have Kentucky 8/8 and Georgia 9/7 per Charlie going. I disagree. Then you look at LSU Tenn loosing to unranked teams in the SEC tournament. I think the Selection Committee needs to take another look at who's going. If Kentucky because of their tournament run goes with a conference record of 8/8 and their great showing in the conference tournament is used to put them in then what about Miami in the ACC tournament finals do they go too????

How much are the early losses going to have an affect on the NCAA seedings???

No conference imo should have teams with won lost records not above 50%, should never be considered for the NCAA tournament no matter what they do in their conference tournaments unless they win it all. Now look at the Big East. Your gonna tell me that DePaul Creighton and Marquette with winning records in conference and with over 20 wins during the season dont deserve to go to the NCAAs based on the SEC. Why is Charlie trying to convince people that all these SEC teams have earned on spot in the NCAAs when LSU and Tenn lost to unranked teams in their conference tournament and the others dont have a winning record in conference?????????

NO NO NO they dont go .

IMO the SEC is a little over rated as are some other conferences and the Big East is being dumped on

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This to me should not happen. You have Missouri and Arkansas with loosing records in conference Then you have Kentucky 8/8 and Georgia 9/7 per Charlie going. I disagree. Then you look at LSU Tenn loosing to unranked teams in the SEC tournament. I think the Selection Committee needs to take another look at who's going. If Kentucky because of their tournament run goes with a conference record of 8/8 and their great showing in the conference tournament is used to put them in then what about Miami in the ACC tournament finals do they go too????

No conference imo should have teams with won lost records not above 50%, should never be considered for the NCAA tournament no matter what they do in their conference tournaments unless they win it all. Now look at the Big East. Your gonna tell me that DePaul Creighton and Marquette with winning records in conference and with over 20 wins during the season dont deserve to go to the NCAAs based on the SEC. Why is Charlie trying to convince people that all these SEC teams have earned on spot in the NCAAs when LSU and Tenn lost to unranked teams in their conference tournament and the others dont have a winning record in conference?????????

NO NO NO they dont go .
I think that the universities should have the Athletic Directors insist on changes to the selection process. The first change is that no team with a losing conference record can become an at large bid team, they can only be an automatic qualifier by winning the conference tournament. If they do that then it would force teams to either get better or put all the chances on the conference tournament.

I have no problem with a team that has an 8-8 record and does good in the conference tournament, those loses could be to only top teams in their conference, that doesn't mean they're not a good enough team to qualify for the tournament.

I also believe that the tournament should have a limit on how many teams can have in March Madness. There are a lot of other decent conferences out there that could have 2 teams in it, but never do because the P5 always seem to have 4 to 9 teams each year. This year there is 31 at large bids expected to go to the P5. That is almost half of the available slots, and when you add in the 5 AQ's it is 36 teams which is over 50% of the slots. Maybe the NCAA should limit it to no more than 35% of the slots be allocated to the P5.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. The men's team in 2010-2011 were 32-9. They were 9-9 in conference. They also won it all.
Irrelevant to the point being made, since they won their conference tournament. One can easily imagine that had they not improved late to the point of being able to win their conference tournament, neither would they have been good enough to win the NCAA tournament. As it was their late blossoming enabled them to win both.

Though I am more with @MSGRET anyways. I think the cutoff should be .500 (which would still have qualified the men in 2011), not above .500.

Reaction Score
Wow. Charlie Creme (South Carolina/Kentucy half time show) just said that he has to wait and see how the Mid-Major conference tournament ends up but he does have nine SEC teams going in.....Holy smokes!! I know that it is a "projection", but I do agree that I can not see how the NCAA committee would place Missouri and Arkansas in the NCAA over DePaul & Marquette. That would be a slap in the face to DePaul and Marquette. I believe that DePaul and Marquette are in the Dance. I don't care what Charlie Creme says. :D

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Missouri has a win over South Carolina and a road win at Florida. The sheer quality of those two wins goes a long way toward overcoming the quantity of their losses.

Arkansas has a win over LSU. There aren't many teams on the bubble that have a win that good (except Missouri, of course).

DePaul has a road win at Kentucky, which has appreciated in value in the past few days, but at this point that's the only non-bubble team that DePaul has beaten.

Marquette's resume is even weaker than DePaul's. They looked awful in their significant preseason games (vs. Colorado and Georgia) and their best wins are over Creighton and ... DePaul.

I have a feeling that no one on this board was complaining back in the heyday of the old Big East when 8 or 9 BE teams would get bids.

Reaction Score
Wow. Charlie Creme (South Carolina/Kentucy half time show) just said that he has to wait and see how the Mid-Major conference tournament ends up but he does have nine SEC teams going in.....Holy smokes!! I know that it is a "projection", but I do agree that I can not see how the NCAA committee would place Missouri and Arkansas in the NCAA over DePaul & Marquette. That would be a slap in the face to DePaul and Marquette. I believe that DePaul and Marquette are in the Dance. I don't care what Charlie Creme says. :D
Have you looked at their resumes side by side ?
It’s easy to abstractly say team X should or shouldn’t make the tourney. Harder to have evidence to support that assertion.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Filter on SOS, strength of schedule

Reaction Score

NO NO NO they dont go .

IMO the SEC is a little over rated as are some other conferences and the Big East is being dumped on
Well, Kentucky has the automatic bid…

Reaction Score
The ACC is projected to have 8 teams with Florida State on the bubble as the 9th team. The Selection Committee chairperson is Nina King, the Director of Athletics at Duke, an ACC team. I'm not accusing her of bias, but the perception is suspect.

Reaction Score
The ACC is projected to have 8 teams with Florida State on the bubble as the 9th team. The Selection Committee chairperson is Nina King, the Director of Athletics at Duke, an ACC team. I'm not accusing her of bias, but the perception is suspect.
Oy ve
Folks like to see boogeymen everywhere

Reaction Score
Missouri has a win over South Carolina and a road win at Florida. The sheer quality of those two wins goes a long way toward overcoming the quantity of their losses.

Arkansas has a win over LSU. There aren't many teams on the bubble that have a win that good (except Missouri, of course).

DePaul has a road win at Kentucky, which has appreciated in value in the past few days, but at this point that's the only non-bubble team that DePaul has beaten.

Marquette's resume is even weaker than DePaul's. They looked awful in their significant preseason games (vs. Colorado and Georgia) and their best wins are over Creighton and ... DePaul.

I have a feeling that no one on this board was complaining back in the heyday of the old Big East when 8 or 9 BE teams would get bids.

DePaul also has a loss to Texas A&M.

While I’m not sure the SEC should have 9 teams, if you’re not in a P5 conference and want to have a legitimate case for the tournament you HAVE to schedule a rather challenging non-conference schedule and win. As a BE team or any non P5, your opportunities for resume boosting wins are just few and far between.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
DePaul also has a loss to Texas A&M.

While I’m not sure the SEC should have 9 teams, if you’re not in a P5 conference and want to have a legitimate case for the tournament you HAVE to schedule a rather challenging non-conference schedule and win. As a BE team or any non P5, your opportunities for resume boosting wins are just few and far between.
Yes, but the loss on the road to TAMU is still technically a Quad 1 loss and wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't also lose to Seton Hall (Quad 3), and twice to Marquette. Getting blown out by Marquette on a neutral court is a terrible "parting look" for the committee to get.

Nothing wrong with how DePaul schedules. TAMU was expected to be good and indeed they looked good for the first month or so of the season, until they lost to a horrible TCU team and then pretty much imploded thereafter. DePaul lost close games to both Arizona and Notre Dame; if they win either of those games they're probably safe. They did get a win in their regular series with Northwestern (another team right on the bubble) but the bubble teams seem to have lots of wins over fellow bubble teams.

Reaction Score
This to me should not happen. You have Missouri and Arkansas with loosing records in conference Then you have Kentucky 8/8 and Georgia 9/7 per Charlie going. I disagree. Then you look at LSU Tenn loosing to unranked teams in the SEC tournament.
No attack @Tonyc but Kentucky took down SC for the title today. They go to the dance with or without Charlie's endorsement. ;)

Reaction Score
Yes, but the loss on the road to TAMU is still technically a Quad 1 loss and wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't also lose to Seton Hall (Quad 3), and twice to Marquette. Getting blown out by Marquette on a neutral court is a terrible "parting look" for the committee to get.

Nothing wrong with how DePaul schedules. .
Disagree. Their nonconf sked has some clunkers. Nichols TX Southern one other.
A tougher sked would help their resume.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I actually saw her in the hallway on Thursday at the tournament.... If I knew she was the Chairperson again this year I would have slipped her a few $20's and asked if she could manage to get that 9th ACC team in. :oops:

Reaction Score
I actually saw her in the hallway on Thursday at the tournament.... If I knew she was the Chairperson again this year I would have slipped her a few $20's and asked if she could manage to get that 9th ACC team in. :oops:
That's funny! Whatever it takes!!

Reaction Score
the conference is the best in basketball, not an outrageous decision. Look how the conference did out of conference, they won games vs other conferences. That's like punishing an Sec team in a bowl game saying, oh they went 6-6 yea in the Sec with Bama/Lsu/Florida/Georgia/Auburn.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
the conference is the best in basketball, not an outrageous decision. Look how the conference did out of conference, they won games vs other conferences. That's like punishing an Sec team in a bowl game saying, oh they went 6-6 yea in the Sec with Bama/Lsu/Florida/Georgia/Auburn.
There is a difference between football and basketball when it comes to bowl games and March Madness. Almost every team that has a .500 record in football gets into a bowl game, it doesn't matter what conference you play in. Where as in basketball there a teams that are over .500 record in both conference and the season and they don't get in. I'm sorry if you can't have at least a .500 record in conference play then the only way you should be able to qualify for the tournament is win the conference tournament.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

There is talk around these parts that the ACC is the best conference this season.

Reaction Score

Nothing wrong with how DePaul schedules. TAMU was expected to be good and indeed they looked good for the first month or so of the season, until they lost to a horrible TCU team and then pretty much imploded thereafter. DePaul lost close games to both Arizona and Notre Dame; if they win either of those games they're probably safe. They did get a win in their regular series with Northwestern (another team right on the bubble) but the bubble teams seem to have lots of wins over fellow bubble teams.

Yeah, they schedule okay. But the “others” in the BE could probably take a page out of Belmont’s book. They played Ole Miss, Arkansas, Georgia Tech, UCF, Auburn, and Louisville in nonconference and in other years typically schedule tough. They lost all but one of those but they were pretty competitive in all but one, so the games were a lot closer than the scores indicated. South Dakota State and South Dakota are two others that typically schedule really tough. When your chances for big wins are few, you have to at least give yourself a chance in nonconference.

For Marquette and DePaul, I’m just not sure their nonconference was strong enough because if you don’t win any of those, you’d really have to bank on running the table in conference. You leave such a small margin of error. And sometimes, if you aren’t in P5, running the table or close to it still isn’t quite enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is talk around these parts that the ACC is the best conference this season.
Well Georgia did take out the ACC tournament and regular season champ on their home floor if that means anything.

Reaction Score
would that be the teams of Georgia Tech, Duke that spiraled to end the season? Or the irish who were losing 31-3 at home to Louisville? And South Carolina won AT Nc st. I'll stick with the Sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom