Scrubs looked better than starters tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Scrubs looked better than starters tonight

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Was a scrub most of my life. Which is why I enjoy upgrading the term.Head bang

It doesn't change reality. Everyone is a scrub in some endeavor but a starter in other endeavors, hopefully life. Sports is just one facet of life. Once our formal schooling is over sports is a rather unimportant facet of life for the vast majority of us. For example being a starter as a parent is much more important. Doing volunteer work is being a starter. Enjoying your life's work is a form of starting. Forming lasting loving relationships is all about being a starter. Sports in America is overblown in its importance.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wow Nan, do you ever sleep? I agree the original use of the word was unfortunate. I also believe it was not intended to be disrespectful in any way. What surprises me is some of the response this seems to have inspired. Just don't get it. People. Make. Mistakes. Finally, what is "disrespectful" in one person's eye may not be to another person or group of persons - maybe an age or cultural deal. Whatever. But lets not get into the whole "micro-aggression" world here. Could have been handled better by mods IMHO.
Wasnt me that wrote the post you’re replying to. I like my sleep

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last night was the first time this year that I have impressed with the "reserves' " intensity and application in their play the last 4-5 minutes of the game. They moved the ball well, they did not turn it over, and they played decent defense. They can't come in and play cautious, timid or scared. They have only a few minutes to show Geno and staff how far along they've come. If they continue to play as they did last night, I'm sure their minutes will increase. Geno liked what he saw from the bench last night, and I'm sure he wants to see more of it, and so do we.

UCF gave UConn the kind of game they needed. The Golden Knights made the Huskies work, and play hard. They didn't come in and lie in a corner in a fetal position, nay. They came out and competed hard and aggressively. They weren't there to kiss UConn's rings or anything else. I enjoyed watching them play. I don't believe there is any reason they can't continue to play with the same level of intensity and resolve as they did last night.

Admiral Chester William Nimitz (1885-1966), was Commander in Chief, United States Pacific Fleet (CinCPac), for U.S. naval forces and Commander in Chief, Pacific Ocean Areas (CinCPOA), for U.S. and Allied air, land, and sea forces during World War II. One of his more famous quotes was, “When you’re in command, COMMAND!!”

I'm using the thought that inspired that quote to express a similar thought or concept relative to UConn's reserves......
If you call/think yourself a basketball player, THEN PLAY!!

Don't play scared. Don't play timid. Be aggressive and play without fear. Make sure there's a bit of a "rough edge" in your game, and some junkyard dog in your attitude and approach. Grrrrrrr. :cool: Several players come to mind (there are many others) that came in as freshmen with an attitude. Diamond DeShields, Taurasi, Nykesha Sales, Chennedy Carter (T A&M), Renee Montgomery, etc. I'm sure you can think of many others. They arrived on campus day 1 ready to kick A**, and take names. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Spent the end of the first half and most of the second half waiting for Walker to get on the floor. 3 minutes for her is ridiculous. I know she can rebound, pass, and shoot, so must be the defense, eh.? Coombs is pretty good, too. Some of the starters looked tired at times; UCF made them work hard. So why...... oh, forget it.

Reaction Score
It doesn't change reality. Everyone is a scrub in some endeavor but a starter in other endeavors, hopefully life. Sports is just one facet of life. Once our formal schooling is over sports is a rather unimportant facet of life for the vast majority of us. For example being a starter as a parent is much more important. Doing volunteer work is being a starter. Enjoying your life's work is a form of starting. Forming lasting loving relationships is all about being a starter. Sports in America is overblown in its importance.
Good God SVCB give it up please. :) Your penchant to cram the word scrub down peoples throats is silly. This post in particular makes you sound as wacky as our last football coach.
There are several factors you overlook here the first the forum you are on. ;) This is a very sensitive, defensive crew, I speak from first hand knowledge. I made a post some time back referring to a player tossing up bricks and got hammered. I explained it was a common basketball term to no avail & let it go.

My guess is most here get the point your term was commonly used in the day. It is simply something this fan base will not be comfortable with as they realize most of the players on the UConn bench would be starting for a lot of D1 teams. They work just as hard in practice and they do the same in the class room. There are no scrubs on this team only supporting players. Go back to the post Molly's Second Three and see if there was not a player going bug wacky (oops old term) all off the bench.

Geno has carte blanche on what he can call the players the fans not so much. They are the adopted daughters / grand daughters of the fan base. It's not hard to learn new words for certain situations. Think of what many are saying here in the context of going to a woman's basketball game to watch a friends daughter play. You are sitting next to him in the bleachers, she has not seen the floor and now, game in control with 3:30 to go the coach puts her in the game.
You gonna give him a big shoulder bump and say glad to see he is putting in the scrubs? No attack just say'n.....

Reaction Score
Good God SVCB give it up please. :) Your penchant to cram the word scrub down peoples throats is silly. This post in particular makes you sound as wacky as our last football coach.
There are several factors you overlook here the first the forum you are on. ;) This is a very sensitive, defensive crew, I speak from first hand knowledge. I made a post some time back referring to a player tossing up bricks and got hammered. I explained it was a common basketball term to no avail & let it go.

My guess is most here get the point your term was commonly used in the day. It is simply something this fan base will not be comfortable with as they realize most of the players on the UConn bench would be starting for a lot of D1 teams. They work just as hard in practice and they do the same in the class room. There are no scrubs on this team only supporting players. Go back to the post Molly's Second Three and see if there was not a player going bug wacky (oops old term) all off the bench.

Geno has carte blanche on what he can call the players the fans not so much. They are the adopted daughters / grand daughters of the fan base. It's not hard to learn new words for certain situations. Think of what many are saying here in the context of going to a woman's basketball game to watch a friends daughter play. You are sitting next to him in the bleachers, she has not seen the floor and now, game in control with 3:30 to go the coach puts her in the game.
You gonna give him a big shoulder bump and say glad to see he is putting in the scrubs? No attack just say'n.....
If the Boneyard had a 'love' button instead of merely 'like' you would have earned for this comment.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Good God SVCB give it up please. :) Your penchant to cram the word scrub down peoples throats is silly.

Excuse me while I uncram my throat of all the silly substitute words for scrub. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kara Wolters on the SNY postgame speculated that Megan Walker is in Geno's doghouse. She played the last three minutes. In fact, we only used 6 players until , maybe 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Weird.
Megan had shown some real game progress these last two weeks. Lets hope this improves.
I'm guessing that Meg had a bad practice or two, and Geno was sending a message. I expect to see Meg much earlier in the game within the next 1-3 games.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
thanks... that's what I was about to say to @SVCBeercats since they don't "start"

In fact in the sports culture in which I played, if someone used the term scrubs for all of the non-starters it was understood the players who played substantial minutes were not part of the insult/tease. Everyone knew this including the coaches. It was not a term used every day only when you wanted to tease someone or to motivate a player of potential to become committed to working harder in practice. In football even when I started some times I would be referred to as a scrub by the coach. I had a hard time practicing contact drills at full speed against my teammates/friends. So I caught hell for it.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
But not usually members of the regular rotation, like Z and Megan

Actually, yes! You are correct. If a player played substantial productive minutes, they were not included in a general scrub pronouncement. It was understood they were excepted. For the most part scrub was a tease to rile someone or a motivator for a player of potential who was not making the effort.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Right!!?? Why do u call them scrubs???
UhOh flashback. Our JV game jersey for football at Fitch did not have Fitch on them. Where it would have said Fitch it said "SCRUBS" My football career was short lived. On November 1 I was on the court playing hoops.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
But not usually members of the regular rotation, like Z and Megan

Correct. "Scrubs" applied to those who got into the game for the final minutes(s) or so when the outcome had already been decided. Otherwise, they would not play. Got in to "mop up."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom