Scrubs looked better than starters tonight | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Scrubs looked better than starters tonight

Reaction Score
I had hoped that it was "just" personal issues that needed to be dealt with.
[ ]
Doesn't seem to look good.
Geno keeps saying he hopes to have a resolution "in a few days." You'd think he was leading the delegation to reduce nuclear tension on the Korean Peninsula.

Reaction Score
I think using "scrubs" is both age-related (going back to the Gipper-era), yet also relating to the autocratic-era of coaching (where there was coach, quarterback, cascading downward, and a team consisted of stars and scrubs.

That era is so long-gone, especially here with our women, essentially one of the lone (sometimes lonely) pure example of the future of team-work.

We use the word "bench" to talk about those that start and those that add energy to our game after the start. But please, nevermore scrubs.

Geno and CD, somehow, knew this way back and brought it to our cow field University, raising us up to visionary teamwork status.

I was so struck by Crystal's words recently about her side-line interactions with Geno. Paraphrasing, Crystal explained: "I share with Coach what i see. Coach shares what he sees. Then we figure things out, what to try, what to avoid." That one interaction caught the ballgame of good sideline coaching, no matter the sport or endeavor. Yes!

I agree, SVCBeercats, it's in the definition. But that paradigm has shifted, and UCONN women's basketball stands as a shining example of how to achieve magnificent team-work, as well as what you can achieve together, as a team or as a nation.

Scrubs used to imply less-than or not good enough. Yet the truth is, from Molly to Lou, that each of our women are always striving to achieve their own golden game. And in that golden game, there are no stars, no second-string scrubs. Every women plays as an equal. Each player strives to be able to help the team more, in their own way. That's how they earn playing time. Not one of them is less-then any other.

Just like back when enlightened women were called "nuns" and the poor were scorned, our language uplifts our culture, and thereby helps our team achieve more.

And yes, our bench really turned on tonight! Most likely because Geno & CD drove home in each of them a vision of what they could contribute best, better than anyone else on the floor.

Wow Nan, do you ever sleep? I agree the original use of the word was unfortunate. I also believe it was not intended to be disrespectful in any way. What surprises me is some of the response this seems to have inspired. Just don't get it. People. Make. Mistakes. Finally, what is "disrespectful" in one person's eye may not be to another person or group of persons - maybe an age or cultural deal. Whatever. But lets not get into the whole "micro-aggression" world here. Could have been handled better by mods IMHO.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow Nan, do you ever sleep? I agree the original use of the word was unfortunate. I also believe it was not intended to be disrespectful in any way. What surprises me is some of the response this seems to have inspired. Just don't get it. People. Make. Mistakes. Finally, what is "disrespectful" in one person's eye may not be to another person or group of persons - maybe an age or cultural deal. Whatever. But lets not get into the whole "micro-aggression" world here. Could have been handled better by mods IMHO.
you-better-watch-your-microaggressions-bro.jpg

Reaction Score
I also believe it was not intended to be disrespectful in any way.

Sorry, AugustaTC. I was only thinking out loud, not trying to overblow things.

Do not mean any aggression in any way. Times (and language)'re a changin' for us all, is all.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That is interesting because I was looking at the box score before I logged on and was thinking that it appears that Geno only has confidence in 6 players, since after the normal six player rotation no player got more than 6 minutes...in a 36 point blow-out win. But I understand that players can look good in minimal playing time and make an impression.

Reaction Score
Kara Wolters on the SNY postgame speculated that Megan Walker is in Geno's doghouse. She played the last three minutes. In fact, we only used 6 players until , maybe 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Weird.
Megan had shown some real game progress these last two weeks. Lets hope this improves.

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Bottom line. Consistency and confidence in practice means more to Geno than some positives in game play. which is all that we see. His post game presser left little doubt that he is at this stage, generally disappointed in the freshman class as a whole. We may just have to be patient and wait for the sophomore bump.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
One can track down an accepted definition of a lot of words that at no point should be used in polite or even somewhat impolite company.

People who are complaining about the use of scrub never played team sports certainly not competitive team sports. You know like scrubs. :rolleyes:;)

Reaction Score
Sorry, AugustaTC. I was only thinking out loud, not trying to overblow things.

Do not mean any aggression in any way. Times (and language)'re a changin' for us all, is all.

Hey, I totally understand....like a lot of us on BY I grew up in a vastly different time. I know I'm gonna say things now and again I might like to take back (hopefully only once in a while) just cuz language has changed, acceptability is different and the PC police are changing the rules so often I've given up even trying to keep up, and VERY OCCASIONALLY because I started typing before I fully engaged what's left of my brain. And in such circumstances I hope I'll be gently corrected by Nan or whoever.

Reaction Score
Kara Wolters on the SNY postgame speculated that Megan Walker is in Geno's doghouse. She played the last three minutes. In fact, we only used 6 players until , maybe 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Weird.
Megan had shown some real game progress these last two weeks.
These are freshman. They all spend a good bit of their season in the dog house and riding out a turbulent up and down first season. Everyone from DT to Maya to Stewie have all gone through the same exact thing and are happy for it. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
was you a scrub when you played?

Most players started as scrubs. In high school basketball and football I was a scrub for my freshman and sophomore years. But I worked hard and was fortunate to have been born with a fair amount of innate athletic ability. Unfortunately not enough to be a pro. As a junior and senior I was a starter. As for baseball I became a starter (right field initially later a pitcher as well) in my freshman year and all following years. Genetics and an intense nature I believe was inherited from my Mother's family which included two small college All-American football uncles and an All-American DI basketball uncle who actually played for three years in the NBA as a scrub. In college I was a starter for four years in baseball and was a scrub/starter on the bowling team. I split the fifth man position with another fellow depending on the lane conditions. If the lanes were lightly conditioned I started. If the lanes were heavily conditioned, I was a cheer leading scrub and proud to be part of a team that twice qualified for the NCAA bowling tournament.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
That is interesting because I was looking at the box score before I logged on and was thinking that it appears that Geno only has confidence in 6 players, since after the normal six player rotation no player got more than 6 minutes...in a 36 point blow-out win. But I understand that players can look good in minimal playing time and make an impression.
Geno has explained his rationale for this in more detail that he usually goes into about such matters. He said it again after last night's game.

He said previously that he doesn't believe in giving freshmen significant minutes until they earn it in practice, because if he does that, then "there's no coaching them" when they get to be juniors and seniors. They get the idea that they will play whether they practice well or not, and he believes that he can't coach them if they think that.

He said last night that the freshmen seem unable to put together 3 consecutive good practices, and until they do that, "they won't play". He acknowledged that they played well at the end of the game, and he said he was frankly surprised by that (presumably based on their practices).

It's hardly a surprise that consistency is not a strong point of freshmen in this program or any program. What may be different at UConn is that Geno is both able (without jeopardizing game outcomes in most cases) and willing to penalize inconsistency by limiting minutes until the freshmen learn to be consistent.

As I recall, both Napheesa and Gabby had the same problem as freshmen, and look at them now. Kia Nurse never had that problem, apparently, and Lou had it to a lesser degree than Napheesa, Gabby, or apparently any of this year's freshmen. Stewie and Moriah were that way as freshmen, but Morgan Tuck never was.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I agree, SVCBeercats, it's in the definition. But that paradigm has shifted, and UCONN women's basketball stands as a shining example of how to achieve magnificent team-work, as well as what you can achieve together, as a team or as a nation.

UCONN is also a shining example of how tough love and a harsh tones can mold players into a team. And you have no concern about Geno's blue language and soul crushing insults which are far worse than the term scrub? This discussion is much ado about nothing. I liked playing against sensitive folks it was so easy to get into their heads and destroy their game.

Reaction Score
People who are complaining about the use of scrub never played team sports certainly not competitive team sports. You know like scrubs. :rolleyes:;)

Was a scrub most of my life. Which is why I enjoy upgrading the term.Head bang:D

Reaction Score
Geno also told the story that in practice the freshmen were playing 4 on 1 and still turned the ball over twice. And he told the freshmen that in the college football national championship the kids that won that game in front of such a large audience were just like them - freshmen - so why can't the coaching staff get even 4 minutes out of them?

Reaction Score
in the college football national championship the kids that won that game in front of such a large audience were just like them - freshmen ...

Yeah, and read the press on that second half. The first string quarterback was totally supporting the freshman who took his place, which the freshman was totally thankful for during the game. Great moment in team sports and coaching.

Reaction Score
In Geno's own words from the post game presser. Looks like an answer one way or another should come soon.

I am so sorry to hear this from Coach Geno. I don't know what's going on, but it's sad. Turmoil in the life of a young person can be so painful. And being young makes it even more difficult to handle.

Fingers crossed for AEH and for the team. I hope whoever can help and reach out at UConn is doing so.

Hoping for the best....

Reaction Score
which are far worse than the term scrub? This discussion is much ado about nothing.

I enjoy your posts. Just a frank discussion here, not meant to harm or foul.

Beauty, and the value of a discussion, is in the eye of the beholder, no?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom