Scrubs looked better than starters tonight | The Boneyard

Scrubs looked better than starters tonight

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
They played with a lot of energy, had good ball movement, and played well defensively. Very encouraging. There will be games when we need some of them to perform well.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The new legs in the game was too much for the tired UCF players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Bob and Deb called them the second tier.

They looked better than normal, and the starters looked a little off. Strange!!

Reaction Score
No Lexi tonight? What’s up with the missing Hunter?
Apologizes, if I’m out of the loop.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
No Lexi tonight? What’s up with the missing Hunter?
Apologizes, if I’m out of the loop.
In Geno's own words from the post game presser. Looks like an answer one way or another should come soon.

Reaction Score
In Geno's own words from the post game presser. Looks like an answer one way or another should come soon.

I had hoped that it was "just" personal issues that needed to be dealt with.
[ ]
Doesn't seem to look good.

Reaction Score
They played with a lot of energy, had good ball movement, and played well defensively. Very encouraging. There will be games when we need some of them to perform well.

By the tone of this thread, I took it to mean that the bench played a lot. Disappointed to see the box score and it was only 6-5-3-3 minutes for the 4 of them (and one of those 3s was Megan!).

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
A friendly reminder....just because Geno had a comment it doesn't mean people are free to start a whole new set of speculations. Please just let it go through it's natural life cycle and an answer in announced.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
th

Reaction Score
Ever want to ask the mods to change a word for you? ;)

By the tone of this thread, I took it to mean that the bench played a lot. Disappointed to see the box score and it was only 6-5-3-3 minutes for the 4 of them (and one of those 3s was Megan!).

Agree with this although the first one off the bench lead the the team in scoring and 2nd in rebounding, this in 18 min. I prefer "the bench" to "the scrubs".
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/010918.html
Had no opportunity to view the game so piecing it all together. Now to wonder what is up with Lexi, one can only hope for the best...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Scrubs?

Per Merriam-Webster
Definition of scrub
1 a : a stunted tree or shrub
b : vegetation consisting chiefly of scrubs
c : a tract covered with scrub
2 : a domestic animal of mixed or unknown parentage and usually inferior conformation : mongrel
3 : a person of insignificant size or standing
4 : a player not belonging to the first string

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Calling women who earned a scholarship to play basketball at UConn and who subject themselves to the incredible demands of that program “scrubs” is incredibly disrespectful. Full stop.

It is a term used throughout sports. If a player does not like being referred to as a scrub, then the player has the option of improving and becoming a starter, first stringer. You notice Geno's success comes with a certain lack of touchy-feely jazz? You notice the other teams which focus on touchy-feely jazz are really bad? There was not a lot of touchy-feely jazz when Pat Summitt ruled the WCB. I'll bet there is not a lot of touchy-feely jazz in Muffet McGraw's practices. Being called a scrub isn't the worst thing that will happen to them in life. I once watched a practice video where Geno repeatedly referred to Heather Buck and Kiele McLaren as dumb asses as in stupid, brainless. Scrub doesn't sound so bad. Eh? Coaches call players much worse than scrub. Scrub doesn't concern me as much as the use of dumb ass. (No, I can't find the video. I suspect it was expunged.)

Per Merriam-Webster
Definition of scrub
2 : a domestic animal of mixed or unknown parentage and usually inferior conformation : mongrel

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It is a term used throughout sports. If a player does not like being referred to as a scrub, then the player has the option of improving and becoming a starter, first stringer. You notice Geno's success comes with a certain lack of touchy-feely jazz? You notice the other teams which focus on touchy-feely jazz are really bad? There was not a lot of touchy-feely jazz when Pat Summitt ruled the WCB. I'll bet there is not a lot of touchy-feely jazz in Muffet McGraw's practices. Being called a scrub isn't the worst thing that will happen to them in life. I once watched a practice video where Geno repeatedly referred to Heather Buck and Kiele McLaren as es as in stupid, brainless. Scrub doesn't sound so bad. Eh? Coaches call players much worse than scrub. Scrub doesn't concern me as much as the use of . (No, I can't find the video. I suspect it was expunged.)

Per Merriam-Webster
Definition of scrub
was you a scrub when you played?

Reaction Score
Per Merriam-Webster
Definition of scrub

One can track down an accepted definition of a lot of words that at no point should be used in polite or even somewhat impolite company.

Reaction Score
Scrubs?

I think using "scrubs" is both age-related (going back to the Gipper-era), yet also relating to the autocratic-era of coaching (where there was coach, quarterback, cascading downward, and a team consisted of stars and scrubs.

I agree, SVCBeercats, it's in the definition. But that paradigm has shifted.

And yes, our bench really turned on tonight! Most likely because Geno & CD drove home in each of them a vision of what they could contribute best, better than anyone else on the floor.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom