Scouting UConn-Illinois | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Scouting UConn-Illinois

Reaction Score
Both of DC's first half fouls were on him and were incredibly stupid. Fortunately, neither hurt us, and hopefully he will realize how important it is for him not to do things like that.

Certainly they’re on him but no matter, because he can do that he shouldn’t be in the game at that point as we have the lead and the 2nd half is more important. DC with 1 is so much better heading into the 2nd half than 2, it’s huge. Didn’t hurt us as you said but it really could today!

Reaction Score
Honestly I blame Danny for DCs 2nd foul end of first half. No reason to bring him in at 2 minutes with 1 foul knowing he’s just not smart enough at times not to reach or stay away from fouls like that. I mean he has one and Ledee has 2 keep it that way the 2nd half is more important at that point.

But he and Stephon need to stay away from foul trouble and we need referees that don’t blow fast whistles either way. Castle to give Shannon headaches and a little Diarra to get under him as well. Homask needs to be held in check too no going for ball fakes and just keep him in front of you.

Good news is they need to guard is too! Palms getting sweaty as I type already! Lol
On the other hand, wasn't that a "house money" situation? If he has 1 foul with 2 minutes left and you bring him in, he's not at risk of significantly losing PT if he picks up a 2nd. Give ourselves a chance to take advantage of the matchup for a few minutes.

I agree that we'll benefit from a loosely-called game. Our defense is more aggressive, we can't afford Clingan foul trouble, we want to be able to bang on the offensive glass, and Illinois isn't a tough clutch-and-grab sort of defense.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind having Newton matched up on Domask and drawing a charge or two when he tries that booty ball s___.

Reaction Score
Surprised at the concern for Castle on Shannon on the Yard. Castle has repeatedly shown that he can contain the opposition's top scoring threat. Irrespective of their offensive play style. As long as he locks in and moves his feet (which he does) he'll be fine-esp. with DC waiting in the paint to clean things up if needed. I would not be surprised if Steph picks up some charging fouls while guarding Shannon. This match up will obviously be one of the keys to the game.

I'm going with our guy on this match up even though Shannon will get some buckets. Shannon hasn't played against too many NBA- ready defenders like Steph this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love the Field of 68 content, but Goodman continues to be Goodman. You can tell he's so eager for us to lose, and gives commentary as if he's trying to will it to happen. Raving about Illinois as a matchup problem, poo-pooing the unique defensive prowess of Castle to slow down Shannen. "If Illinois brings their A game and UConn doesn't bring their A game, UConn goes home." He's so desperate for it to happen.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I love the Field of 68 content, but Goodman continues to be Goodman. You can tell he's so eager for us to lose, and gives commentary as if he's trying to will it to happen. Raving about Illinois as a matchup problem, poo-pooing the unique defensive prowess of Castle to slow down Shannen. "If Illinois brings their A game and UConn doesn't bring their A game, UConn goes home." He's so desperate for it to happen.

Goodman is probably tired of UConn steamrolling opponents, so he likes to go against the grain.

Reaction Score
UConn is unlikely to post Clingan more than a handful of times. Or at least to throw him the ball in the post to score more than a handful of times. He isn’t Edey, who demands the ball in the post, but more of a rim running big who can post

UConn is more likely to run dribble handoffs, slip-screens, and regular pick and rolls where they try to get Clingans defender having to choose between giving up the lob or challenging the layup. If the guards defender goes under then Cam or Newton may pull from deep. I guess Illinois could try and trap on the hedge but UConn is a pretty good passing teams and that would put Illinois into scramble mode.

Rodger’s is an interesting player. He’s easily Illinois best defender but he’s worse than Andre Jackson offensively. If he doesn’t play Illinois already questionable defense gets worse. I assume if he doesn’t than Illinois would play Goode more with the other four starters because Dianja isn’t shooting either.

Five out all offense would be interesting. Illinois is one of three teams that does concern me bc Illinois is capable of going Creighton on offense, though I’m not sure they have the players to do what Creighton did on defense. . The other two would be potentially in the championship game.
I would quibble with the characterization of Rodgers as Illinois’ best defender. He is a great rebounder and a versatile defender in terms of being able to guard 1-4, but make no mistake, Shannon is Illinois’ best defender and it isn’t particularly close.

Illinois’ staff is heavy into analytics and Underwood has been pretty open this year about setting lineups based on offense and not defense. Illinois is going to think about this game as a math problem. The goal will be to take away three point shots and free throws for UConn. I know that sounds way easier said than done, but that’s the defensive philosophy. And at times it will seem like a layup line for UConn.

Meanwhile, I think everything Illinois does in this game - from matchups to schemes - will be predicated on getting Clingan out of the lane. It’s our only chance to win.

Reaction Score
Surprised at the concern for Castle on Shannon on the Yard. Castle has repeatedly shown that he can contain the opposition's top scoring threat. Irrespective of their offensive play style. As long as he locks in and moves his feet (which he does) he'll be fine-esp. with DC waiting in the paint to clean things up if needed. I would not be surprised if Steph picks up some charging fouls while guarding Shannon. This match up will obviously be one of the keys to the game.

I'm going with our guy on this match up even though Shannon will get some buckets. Shannon hasn't played against too many NBA- ready defenders like Steph this year.
My Illinois perspective: if UConn keeps Illinois from getting into transition, Shannon is eminently guardable in the half court, and Castle is certainly capable of slowing him.

Where Shannon is absolutely unguardable is in transition, and the best way for UConn to prevent that is to score the basketball.

Reaction Score
My Illinois perspective: if UConn keeps Illinois from getting into transition, Shannon is eminently guardable in the half court, and Castle is certainly capable of slowing him.

Where Shannon is absolutely unguardable is in transition, and the best way for UConn to prevent that is to score the basketball.
Illinois has to play D. We can get up and down the floor with the best of them. We have found that the ball moves faster by passing vs ball dominant dribbling. Castle has been pretty unguardable in transition as well.

Will be curious to see if you guys have transition D. If not. Could get ugly. Gonna sign off on the back and forth. Should be a great game.

Reaction Score
I would quibble with the characterization of Rodgers as Illinois’ best defender. He is a great rebounder and a versatile defender in terms of being able to guard 1-4, but make no mistake, Shannon is Illinois’ best defender and it isn’t particularly close.

Illinois’ staff is heavy into analytics and Underwood has been pretty open this year about setting lineups based on offense and not defense. Illinois is going to think about this game as a math problem. The goal will be to take away three point shots and free throws for UConn. I know that sounds way easier said than done, but that’s the defensive philosophy. And at times it will seem like a layup line for UConn.

Meanwhile, I think everything Illinois does in this game - from matchups to schemes - will be predicated on getting Clingan out of the lane. It’s our only chance to win.
Shannon ball watches and loses focus on defense. May not happen with this magnitude of game, but make no mistake, that is death against UConn.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
We snapped out of our earlier 3P Northwestern malaise last game.
If we have any problems we slow Illinois down with mid court defense with Castle on Shannon.
The rebounding edge should be ours with Clingan's quick hands, not to mention Newton and Castle.
Clingan should dominate inside if he stops the finessing and uses his power to drive the ball home.

Reaction Score
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm guessing we'll start with Clingan on Rodgers. Illinois will take Rodgers out and put in Goode. And we'll switch Clingan back to Hawkins and it'll be a race to outscore the other team.

Reaction Score

We all hate Goodman but you have to see this for what it is. Because of last year and because of the final score of our games here in the tourney so far, the discussion around UConn has just become “how can the next team have any shot of beating them?” It’s not that they necessarily want it to happen, but for sure they want to see a team truly challenge us so our game isn’t always a boring finish

Reaction Score

His schtick is as the contrarian. It’s how he gets engagement.

Reaction Score
Clingan and Castle getting through half with 1 foul is critical, Diarra could help out on Shannon (as Kenny Smith says) he gets up in you despite his smaller size, and even Stewart could help out he can pick up fouls. You won’t stop Shannon but slow him down and get him tired and frustrated.

Reaction Score
Jay-Will said he thinks Illinois is the team most likely to beat us of all the teams left...He didn't say they would, just they have the best chance of the remaining teams. I might have to agree with him...what say you?

Either way, we are Dooomed
i'm just happy to play a team that appears to be up to the challenge and maybe beat us? who knows but it's gonna be an exciting game and I'm all about it. Plus side: this way no one can say we had this easy road yada yada yada

Reaction Score
Clingan and Castle getting through half with 1 foul is critical, Diarra could help out on Shannon (as Kenny Smith says) he gets up in you despite his smaller size, and even Stewart could help out he can pick up fouls. You won’t stop Shannon but slow him down and get him tired and frustrated.
Counterpoint. Shannon has to play D. If he gets in foul trouble and has to sit. He can't score.

Reaction Score

Honestly would’ve preferred Iowa State for sure. Should be a very fun match up and watching the coaching match up will be very interesting.

Reaction Score
Stewie has a big game tomorrow. He is going to play more because of their size. Tomorrow we see UConn’s present and future combine and we level up…..as we ride into the final four.

Who sits? Unless we have foul trouble, I expect Stevie to play his normal amount of minutes. If he makes a positive impact, thats gravy for us.

Reaction Score
I have watched about 5 Illinois games the last month or so and I don’t remember Shannon really posting up much at all. That’s why Diarra can be a big factor on him when needed. Also, Diarra is strong in his own right for his size. The big thing to stop is transition as others have said, Shannon is one of the best players i’ve seen in a while in transition.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have watched about 5 Illinois games the last month or so and I don’t remember Shannon really posting up much at all. That’s why Diarra can be a big factor on him when needed. Also, Diarra is strong in his own right for his size. The big thing to stop is transition as others have said, Shannon is one of the best players i’ve seen in a while in transition.
I have a strong suspicon Diarra is going to have a number of steals this game.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Very tough matchup. Hard for DC to play drop coverage when Hawkins shoots 41% and Guerrero 45% from three. DC will have to avoid fouls and make the chip shots. Team will have to avoid live ball turnovers and rotate back hard on missed shots. Fight the hubris, so we are doomed, clearly DOOMED!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom