Schedule PC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Schedule PC

Reaction Score
The ECAC tournament went by the wayside in the late 70's. As far as I am concerned, PC became irrelevant to me when Dave Gavitt passed. And this is coming from someone who used to go to the Providence Civic Center to watch the Friars in the mid and late 70's.
The ECAC tournament was for a tournament bid but after the BE it made no sense.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Compare Drummond's role with Detroit to Dunn's on Chicago. One is an NBA All Star and the other is a bench guy.

UConn MBB is a brotherhood. The disrespect matters. My guess is Calhoun would use this as a motivational tool, if he still was coaching. Players get this.
Wow, what an original analogy...

Ok, let's follow that through to it's logical conclusion...In a familial context, "brotherhood" not only indicates a shared blood relationship of mother and father, but also of the same generation. In real life, siblings can be decades apart in age, but in college basketball, a generation is about years. Six at the very most and with special circumstances.

Drummond played for UConn in 2011-12
Drummond played for Jim Calhoun (Ollie was an assistant).

Not one Senior, nor Grad Transfer on the 2017-18 team (let alone whatever team would play this proposed grudge match in the future) ever played for Jim Calhoun.

Different Generations.
Different "Fathers."

Drummond is a distant cousin at best. His day job is also halfway across the country. Don't you think the current team has bigger fish to fry?

But I get it. Drummond spend six months in Storrs, six years ago, so...

C

Chief00

Wow, what an original analogy...

Ok, let's follow that through to it's logical conclusion...In a familial context, "brotherhood" not only indicates a shared blood relationship of mother and father, but also of the same generation. In real life, siblings can be decades apart in age, but in college basketball, a generation is about years. Six at the very most and with special circumstances.

Drummond played for UConn in 2011-12
Drummond played for Jim Calhoun (Ollie was an assistant).

Not one Senior, nor Grad Transfer on the 2017-18 team (let alone whatever team would play this proposed grudge match in the future) ever played for Jim Calhoun.

Different Generations.
Different "Fathers."

Drummond is a distant cousin at best. His day job is also halfway across the country. Don't you think the current team has bigger fish to fry?

But I get it. Drummond spend six months in Storrs, six years ago, so...

Tell that to Calhoun - Andre is 100% part of the brotherhood - period!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Tell that to Calhoun - Andre is 100% part of the brotherhood - period!

I don't know the man. You tell him I said so.

I have no problem with developing a multi-year series with Providence College. It's a better than decent idea, given the perception of the teams' respective conferences. My point is that there are other and, "quite frankly," better reasons than a quasi-Mexican standoff between members of principle subjects' entourages out of the pages of West Side Story upon which to base it.

C

Chief00

I don't know the man. You tell him I said so.

I have no problem with developing a multi-year series with Providence College. It's a better than decent idea, given the perception of the teams' respective conferences. My point is that there are other and, "quite frankly," better reasons than a quasi-Mexican standoff between members of principle subjects' entourages out of the pages of West Side Story upon which to base it.
Guys who played in 1987 are part of the brotherhood. An NBA all star who nearly averaged a double/double his freshman year (2012) marked by Coach being out for NCAA punishment and illnesses and our PG having an NCAA related absence, certainly has membership!
Another thing I will add is that Calhoun's instincts were to allow Andrew Bynum to play in his charity game - but he was talked out of it because it did not play well with ex UConn players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Hey, I have an idea. Why don't we just make our OC Schedule Georgetown, Cuse, Nova, PC, Pitt, BC and St. John's every single year? Would that make people happy?

C

Chief00

Hey, I have an idea. Why don't we just make our OC Schedule Georgetown, Cuse, Nova, PC, Pitt, BC and St. John's every single year? Would that make people happy?
That would give us 3 or 4 interesting OOC home games each year - add in an 2 OOC national teams - and you have a good plan.
A counter factor is we have to just play the cupcakes at home and give them a payday but now that our average attendance is maybe 8k - it may make more sense to charge more and get 15k fans for XL.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That sound from up above was the point going over your head. Look behind you.

C

Chief00

That sound from up above was the point going over your head. Look behind you.
Agree, whatever elusive point concealed in your posts went completely passed me - because I read some version of nothing.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Monumental maybe in your eyes only or maybe 5 years ago, but not today. They are an improved team, a local NE team from a major BB conf, solid competition and a better draw than some of the other OOC games on our schedule. I don't see any logical reason why we shouldn't want to play them.

Pee Cee plays in a mid major conference. The new Big East is not a major conference (P5). They don't even sponsor football.

I have no problem with playing the Friars occasionally, but it does us more harm to lose that game than it does them, due to the relative historic statures of the two programs. It would make more sense for us to schedule URI.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Agree, whatever elusive point concealed in your posts went completely passed me - because I read some version of nothing.
Holy cow. It could not have been move clear if it was in bold type and different color !!! I'll give you a hint. I explained my point directly after I wrote:

My point is...

C

Chief00

Pee Cee plays in a mid major conference. The new Big East is not a major conference (P5). They don't even sponsor football.

I have no problem with playing the Friars occasionally, but it does us more harm to lose that game than it does them, due to the relative historic statures of the two programs. It would make more sense for us to schedule URI.
Makes sense to add both to the mix. Now we just need to staged a fight at Shrine to hype the URI game.

C

Chief00

Holy cow. It could not have been move clear if it was in bold type and different color !!! I'll give you a hint. I explained my point directly after I wrote:
Think you are overmatched and your bus pass to the minor leagues is in the mail.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Think you are overmatched and your bus pass to the minor leagues is in the mail.
You apparently don't want to debate the any longer, I see. In that case, your opinion means as much to me as your bus pass.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

You apparently want to debate the any longer, I see. In that case, your opinion means as much to me as your bus pass.
Wow, just noticed you have twice as many messages as me and, quite frankly, I don't remember any of them before this thread.

Reaction Score

Never said PC was in a major P5 conference, but in a "major BB conference" which I consider the BE to be. It's hard to drum up interest or develop rivals with teams like Tulane, Tulsa, etc whereas PC is a NE school and a former BE rival. Let's bring back that rivalry. It would benefit both teams.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Never said PC was in a major P5 conference, but in a "major BB conference" which I consider the BE to be. It's hard to drum up interest or develop rivals with teams like Tulane, Tulsa, etc whereas PC is a NE school and a former BE rival. Let's bring back that rivalry. It would benefit both teams.

There's no such thing as "major BB conferences". You're either P5 or mid major, period. It's about the money. We are in a mid major conference. The new Big East has had such pathetic TV ratings its games have occasionally been beaten by women's games in the same time slots. There's nothing "major" about the Big East. Only football matters and they don't have it.

UConnNick

Reaction Score

You may think you know what you're talking about but you don't. Historically, URI is a former arch rival of ours from the Yankee Conference era. We have likely played them more often (well over 100 games) than any other opponent. They're also on the upswing and garnering national attention with Hurley there. I believe they also made a nice NCAA run last season. I couldn't care less how many times Cooley has beaten them.

I didn't indicate we shouldn't play you. I have no problem with that, but it does us little good to win the game. We have more in common with URI, a flagship state university in very close proximity that used to be our main rival, vs. a small catholic college which was a big part of the reason why we now find ourseleves in a mid major conference, thanks to the PC mafia conference administration that ran the old Big East into oblivion by favoring the small catholic BB schools over the football schools. We do you a favor by playing you. It helps legitimize your program and does little for us. It doesn't do us much good if we win because we're expected to. 4 > 0 and all. You're perhaps presently equal with URI, no better or worse, in terms of national stature.

And you have almost 3,000 posts on another team's fan message board and I'm the idiot? That makes it look to me like you've got an obsession with us.

Reaction Score
i know i’m prob in the minority but i LOVE the posts from chief. the reaction of all the other arm chair jockeys on here is priceless
You're not alone it's downright amusing how he plays these guys and gets them legit angry. I'm 100% positive stair master gets notifications every time he posts and Chief couldn't give less of an F

Husky25

Reaction Score
Wow, just noticed you have twice as many messages as me and, quite frankly, I don't remember any of them before this thread.
And somehow I slept just fine last night. Good day.

Reaction Score
There's no such thing as "major BB conferences". You're either P5 or mid major, period. It's about the money. We are in a mid major conference. The new Big East has had such pathetic TV ratings its games have occasionally been beaten by women's games in the same time slots. There's nothing "major" about the Big East. Only football matters and they don't have it.

So your logic is don't schedule a BB game unless that school also has a football team or is it don't schedule them if losing that game could harm our image. I have no problem playing URI, but why you want to exclude PC because you don't like the new BE is strange.
I guess we should not play G/town or Nova either. :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom