SC Postgame Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CW or Crystal Dangerfield? Crystal Dangerfield should be because she is every bit as good as any other point guard in the country. She might have Sabrina's assist numbers if the other players for UConn would take/make their shots.

Reaction Score
Don’t have much to add but feel the need to support our team.

Felt before the game that Anna would be overwhelmed by the moment, the 18000 rabid fans and the SC quick defensive players but she is still a favorite and looking forward to watching her development.
Olivia showed a lot of courage and gave her all and proud of her.

Reaction Score
The problem on offense is they stand around too much. UConn's offense starts with moving and cutting. There hasn't been enough of that. Crystal played great, and Olivia played hard but was outnumbered.

Reaction Score
Many appear to be writing off UConn as a No. 1 seed. Even allotting top seeds to Baylor, South Carolina and Oregon, can't the Huskies still earn the fourth No. 1 seed? It seems that the other teams in contention for a No. 1 seed--NC State, Mississippi State, Louisville, Stanford, UCLA, et al--all have difficult conference and conference tournament games remaining and all could lose another game or two.

If UConn completes the regular season without any more losses and wins its conference tournament, might that not be enough to earn the fourth No. 1 seed?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I think they can. as of today my last number one seed is between Stanford and UConn with the nod going to Stanford if they lose just one more game.

Reaction Score
But Lauren Cox didn’t play. Big difference.

I'm not all that sure that Cox playing against South Carolina would have made much of a difference. From my perspective, Baylor did not lose to USC because of a lack of presence in the post, and Baylor did not beat CT because of Cox's presence in the post.

Against the Gamecocks, Baylor played with the Gamecocks in the paint without Cox. The Gamecocks won the rebounding stats 43-29, but only won the points-in-the-paint battle 44-40, and Baylor won the 2nd-chance points 13-12. Offensive rebounds was Baylor 15 - USC 11.

It was the overall shooting that made the difference: Baylor shot 35-22-50, compared to USC shooting 53-31-70, and again it was Harris who led the way with 20 pts. Boston had a strong game of 20 pts and 13 rebs, but Cox playing wasn't a sure bet that she'd contain Boston - no one else really has yet. The Gamecocks won the defensive rebounding battle 32-14 because Baylor couldn't hit the side of a barn with their shooting that game. Cooper and Landrum were a combined 8-27, and even Smith who had 18 pts was 9-22. A lot of one-and-done shooting from the Bears that day.....

Against CT, it was a different story for Baylor's offense. Smith and Cooper scored 47 of their 74 points, shooting a combined 17-32 (.531). Cox scored 16 pts, but she was 6-15 for the game, and only had 6 rebounds - 2 in the 2nd half, which was when Baylor pulled away. Baylor's shooting numbers were 45-33-81 compared to CT's 29-31-63.

Cox is a very talented player, but honestly I think the factors in the two games were USC shooting better than Baylor, and Baylor shooting better than CT, not so much Lauren Cox's presence or absence. Queen Egbo is averaging the same numbers as Cox this season in fewer minutes, and she played against Boston, and Boston had no problem with her.....

Reaction Score
I might be a little bit off on the attendance. What I was specifically referring to was the first two rounds of last season’s NCAA tournament, when Iowa outdrew every other WBB program in the country, including our Huskies.

Iowa's Carter-Hawkeye Arena is in Iowa City, and holds just a bit over 15K. Hilton Coliseum is in Ames, IA, home to Iowa State, and holds just under 14.4K......

Reaction Score
I bristle at the idea that Cox makes South Carolina anunderdog, but I don't mind acknowledging that she makes Baylor better and it will be a different game next time if the teams meet.

I think we did get Egbo in foul trouble and Cox is a better passer, so that could change things.

Of course, the prior game was during South Carolina's worst offensive stretch of the season. I think we're better on that end now than we were then by a significant factor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Iowa's Carter-Hawkeye Arena is in Iowa City, and holds just a bit over 15K. Hilton Coliseum is in Ames, IA, home to Iowa State, and holds just under 14.4K......
Thanks. I get the 2 confused.

Reaction Score
I'm not all that sure that Cox playing against South Carolina would have made much of a difference. From my perspective, Baylor did not lose to USC because of a lack of presence in the post, and Baylor did not beat CT because of Cox's presence in the post.

Against the Gamecocks, Baylor played with the Gamecocks in the paint without Cox. The Gamecocks won the rebounding stats 43-29, but only won the points-in-the-paint battle 44-40, and Baylor won the 2nd-chance points 13-12. Offensive rebounds was Baylor 15 - USC 11.

It was the overall shooting that made the difference: Baylor shot 35-22-50, compared to USC shooting 53-31-70, and again it was Harris who led the way with 20 pts. Boston had a strong game of 20 pts and 13 rebs, but Cox playing wasn't a sure bet that she'd contain Boston - no one else really has yet. The Gamecocks won the defensive rebounding battle 32-14 because Baylor couldn't hit the side of a barn with their shooting that game. Cooper and Landrum were a combined 8-27, and even Smith who had 18 pts was 9-22. A lot of one-and-done shooting from the Bears that day.....

Against CT, it was a different story for Baylor's offense. Smith and Cooper scored 47 of their 74 points, shooting a combined 17-32 (.531). Cox scored 16 pts, but she was 6-15 for the game, and only had 6 rebounds - 2 in the 2nd half, which was when Baylor pulled away. Baylor's shooting numbers were 45-33-81 compared to CT's 29-31-63.

Cox is a very talented player, but honestly I think the factors in the two games were USC shooting better than Baylor, and Baylor shooting better than CT, not so much Lauren Cox's presence or absence. Queen Egbo is averaging the same numbers as Cox this season in fewer minutes, and she played against Boston, and Boston had no problem with her.....
Cox' presence or lack of it is felt in every aspect of Baylor's game. I cant recall the point different between Baylor and South Carolina, somewhere between 14-18? She can make up that difference between them. Her scoring will probably be the smallest impact on the score. Her defense will probably hold Boston to her average and not 20. Her ability to facilitate is going her biggest asset to Baylor. You said it yourself that South Carolina shot better than Baylor. Their offense runs through Cox a lot of the times. She gets a lot of hockey assists that dont show on the stat sheet.

I want the matchup to happen again. I'd take Baylor. Cox is a senior that is hungry for another NC. She is a game changer at both ends of the floor, and her stats dont need need to be inflated to prove that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Cox' presence or lack of it is felt in every aspect of Baylor's game. I cant recall the point different between Baylor and South Carolina, somewhere between 14-18? She can make up that difference between them. Her scoring will probably be the smallest impact on the score. Her defense will probably hold Boston to her average and not 20. Her ability to facilitate is going her biggest asset to Baylor. You said it yourself that South Carolina shot better than Baylor. Their offense runs through Cox a lot of the times. She gets a lot of hockey assists that dont show on the stat sheet.

I want the matchup to happen again. I'd take Baylor. Cox is a senior that is hungry for another NC. She is a game changer at both ends of the floor, and her stats dont need need to be inflated to prove that.
To piggyback on your comments about Cox, we need only think back to last year’s championship game. Baylor had a comfortable 12 pt lead over ND at the half when Cox was injured. Without Cox in the 2nd half, the Lady Bears hung on by their finger nails to beat the Irish by a single point.

Reaction Score

It would be a basketball game between two similarly talented programs if it happened. Can't say who would win.

I think Oregon is probably the team to beat, so I don't know that South Carolina will see Baylor again.

It'd be more fun to get Oregon for sure.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
CD was outplayed in the complete game all 3 losses, by all 3 point guards.

Reaction Score
CD was outplayed in the complete game all 3 losses, by all 3 point guards.
Disagree, DANGER scored 16 (Baylor) 19 (Oregon) and 28 (South Carolina) points in those three games. She was the UConn player that showed up when playing elite teams. To me this young lady is an All American player!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
For all of the newer Gamecock fans; way back when the Boneyard wasn't giving some of you enough respect/love over your newly won National Championship.
In response to one SC poster I posted this.

And one day a Gamecock's fan tombstone may read.....

Here I lie broken hearted
An SC fan, now departed
Our NC deemed a twist of fate
The Boneyard would not validate

:rolleyes:

Consider yourselves validated.

Reaction Score
I do see your point as to the overestimation perhaps done for the entire UConn team, however not in the case of CW: I'd say when you are the HS Gatorade POY as were Maya Moore, Tina Charles, Candace Parker, Katie Lou Samuelson, Kaleena Moequeda-Lewis, Breanna Stewart, Brianna Turner and most recently Azzi Fudd--I think what is expected of CW's contribution to the team is quite reasonable expectation and not unrealistic....
That would depend on the assumption that the Gatorade player of the Year would become a player who was in the category of Stewart, Moore, Tina Charles, and Parker. They were basically high impact players who could be and were the main cog who could carry their teams. There is a difference between a really good support player a go-to top dog ( or Husky). The closest player to CW, in that respect, was KML. She was actually more of a support player than CW. Put her on the present team and she would have a far less positive impact. KLM was probably the most overrated player in that respect. Skill wise, at the college level and even more, as a professional, she was/is very one dimensional. She does on thing well- shoot three's.

KML had the advantage of playing on a team that could make good use of her skill while also mitigating her weaknesses. Put KML on the present team and no way does she make AA. Her skill can easily be negated by someone playing her close, which would happen if she did not have multiple teammates who were also offensive threats.

I remember when there was a discussion on this board about the relative merits of KML and KLS before KLS saw the court. Having watched both in high school, I thought there was no comparison between the two. KLS had a far greater skill set and had the advantage in both height and mobility. I always thought KML was vastly overrated coming out of high school and did not think her skills would translate. She was just fortunate to land with Uconn that only needed her shooting from the wing.

The reason I bring up KLS is that she is the perfect example of a support player who can succeed on the right team. CW is not as one dimensional as KML. She has many skills, but those skills combined do take her to the level of a Moore, Charles or Parker with respect to the impact she would have on her team. We can not always assume a player's impact on their team will match their rating at the previous level. My evaluation of KLS was based on my observations of her play in high school and how I felt her skills would translate to the next level and not her rating. I also watched CW play in the under 18 worlds 3x3 which is what led me to believe she was not a really high impact player at the college level.

Even her class rankings were somewhat deceptive. It was, by many, considered a weak class. That along with the fact that no one player ever held the top rating consistently throughout the ranking process the last few years. CW basically ended up number one by default. Her showing at the McDonalds game gave a false sense of what she would consistently do. The point of this lesson is that we need to not put too much value on high school basketball ratings. They are not always right. And bottom line - the expectations of CW based on her being the Number one recruit were not valid. Using her rating as justification for inflated expectations does not justify those expectations but only rationalizes them. It is always prudent to wait before making assumptions about things that have not transpired. I remember posters not using the word " if" but rather the word " when" in describing what both CW and Uconn would accomplish. The spoke of possibilities like they were a certainty.

Nothing wrong with making mistakes and having our preceptions turn out wrong. The thing is to learn from our mistakes. When we rationalize them in saying they were justified that leans into the direction of not learning. The real mistake was that we placed too much credence in ratings not that our perspective turned out wrong. The latter was only the result of the former.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Disagree, DANGER scored 16 (Baylor) 19 (Oregon) and 28 (South Carolina) points in those three games. She was the UConn player that showed up when playing elite teams. To me this young lady is an All American player!
Baylor Tea Cooper 27points 5 assists CD 2 assists
Oregon Sabrina 10 pts 9 assists. CD 2 assists
SC Harris 19 pts 11 assists. CD 25 pts 2 assists
especially in the Baylor and SC games at the beginning when defense stops and taking control by the point guard was needed Cooper and Harris set the tone.
CD is a check of a player but not an All American

Reaction Score
especially in the Baylor and SC games at the beginning when defense stops and taking control by the point guard was needed Cooper and Harris set the tone.

Let me get this straight. Crystal three top point guards 63 to 56 and that’s your evidence that she is not a top point guard. Got it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. In order, which of these pg’s is surrounded by the best players? How might that affect their assist total?

Also, I note that you omit Crystal’s point totals for the Baylor and Oregon games, and you got her point total for SC wrong. I guess that was just an inadvertent error. For the record Crystal put up 16, 19 & 28 pts respectively.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I always thought KML was vastly overrated coming out of high school and did not think her skills would translate. She was just fortunate to land with Uconn that only needed her shooting from the wing.

Good thing for her she did more than just shoot from the wing for UConn.

Reaction Score
This post pretty much sums up this year's team. I agree with everything you just said. I am also disappointed in CW.

Next year is a whole other story.

Reaction Score
Guess we just disagree, I would take CD over Cooper or Harris. Agree on Sabrina as the top guard but I think the pros selecting for the WNBA will agree with me CD over both Cooper and Harris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom