#firegeno

#uconnpuneet

Reaction Score
2 points in the first quarter?!?!?

Like, just one basket?

Seriously???

#firegeno

#uconnpuneet
A lot of missed shots, some pretty easy, and a few turnovers too. Maybe the worst quarter of UConn basketball in 30 years... and they were only down 9.

Reaction Score
I will add my comments:

1. I think we learned what it must be like for fans of, say, E. Carolina when they play UCONN. You are never in the game and, most of the time, you are embarrassed for the players.

2. 2 points in the first quarter for UCONN. We got to see history. That's a plus. Do you think someone will make UCONN tee- shirts with a big number "2" on it?

3. I'm going to take the heat for this one, but; Christen Williams has to be the worst player ever to be given the award of POY in high school. I think she missed 5 lay-ups and, of course, her outside shots were zeros, usually hitting nothing. I fully expect her to be a bench player next year.

4. Dangerfield is the last hero of the great UCONN terms we have all known for the passed two decades. But she can't do it all by herself. When she leaves, we begin from scratch.

5. The shine even went off of the Polish star tonight, and I was shocked by how poorly Ania played. She couldn't hold on to the ball; she looked slow; her shot was not there, and she just faded away.

6. The team was lifeless. Every loose ball went to SC, and UCONN had one fast break. When it looked as though UCONN did have an opportunity, they never could convert. They just passed the ball aimlessly around, hoping someone could do something.

7. Aubrey looks like she has only played basketball in the driveway with her baby brothers. Do they even have a coach at Ossining High? Did you all notice when Aubrey had an open look and, instead of shooting, she just threw the ball away? I think the university might be better off if she took her great athleticism to the track or volley ball teams. She does not belong in a Division I basketball game.

8. Megan still just throws the ball away, absolutely destroying any possibility of momentum, and she is not particularly good at creating her own shot. She makes some of the most "telegraphed passes" I have seen since the the coverage of moon landing. And often those passes, if they are not to the other team, are to no one. She does not belong in any discussion for All American status.

9. Olivia looked like she was out there to play. She battled hard and made a few nice plays. She can't make a free throw for love or money. And everyone knows that they can disregard any shot she lines up from deep. Maybe in another lifetime. But, along with Crystal she gave her all.

10. Please don't anyone tell me we will have a bounce back game on Sunday ( or whenever our
next game is ). Beating some wounded duck like SMU or Tulsa does not even give this team the opportunity to do that. Those teams do not belong in Division I. I fear that our players begin thinking they are better than they are due to that level of competition. Thank the gods of basketball that UCONN is moving away from that next season.

So, if this is a measuring stick, we all know exactly where it is now placed. This team will likely still be,
at worst, a third seed in some location not near Connecticut. But I think the door closes immediately after the first round. And it could close in game one if we get up against a hot team.

There are not any good excuses for what happened today. You have now seen this year's team.
Very astute observations. I couldn't agree with you more about your assessment of CW--her mental wheels have completely come off this year and with what we have coming in next year (including Westbrook) I'd agree that CW along with MW should have to compete to start next year. In fact, all the starting five spots except ONO perhaps should be up for grabs. Clearly, neither of these two are alphas--they are so obviously tentative, at times lazy and completely lose their composure at the drop of a hat--they show no leadership whatsoever. Perhaps my tone and tenor are a bit of an overreaction, fueled by the completely listless, embarrassing play of both once more against a top team. Geez, OK, even if the top three have better talent, at least compete with them--don't dog it out--TONIGHT, we got nothing but dog play from both CW and MW... If you're shooting is off, OK, then make a hustle play, go hard for the ball--don't accept and embrace defeat so easily and readily... 2 points in an entire quarter?

And you can't blame their pathetic shooting woes simply on the great D of Ore, Baylor or SC: they're getting wide open shots, and my God, the uncontested layups... If I were Geno, I'd use the remainder of the season to prep the freshmen for next year and reward Molly and Kyla for their longevity and servitude.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I think it is in her head that she needs to get the ball to other players in order for the team to function. She wasn’t that open that it demanded a shot but she needs to try. Meg scores as many points as she does because she takes shots that perhaps she shouldn’t but if she doesn’t, who will?
Yep.....when she misses a shot or 2, she hesitates when open, and looks all around for someone to pass to.

Reaction Score
Very astute observations. I couldn't agree with you more about your assessment of CW--her mental wheels have completely come off this year and with what we have coming in next year (including Westbrook) I'd agree that CW along with MW should have to compete to start next year. In fact, all the starting five spots except ONO perhaps should be up for grabs. Clearly, neither of these two are alphas--they are so obviously tentative, at times lazy and completely lose their composure at the drop of a hat--they show no leadership whatsoever. Perhaps my tone and tenor are a bit of an overreaction, fueled by the completely listless, embarrassing play of both once more against a top team. Geez, OK, even if the top three have better talent, at least compete with them--don't dog it out--TONIGHT, we got nothing but dog play from both CW and MW... If you're shooting is off, OK, then make a hustle play, go hard for the ball--don't accept and embrace defeat so easily and readily... 2 points in an entire quarter?

And you can't blame their pathetic shooting woes simply on the great D of Ore, Baylor or SC: they're getting wide open shots, and my God, the uncontested layups... If I were Geno, I'd use the remainder of the season to prep the freshmen for next year and reward Molly and Kyla for their longevity and servitude.
They went up against a bigger, stronger team and lost. They had the weight of UConn history on their shoulders, so I give them a break. If you think they are really this bad, you haven’t been paying attention. The problem is that I am not sure they were prepared emotionally for the game. Hard practices and Xs and Os don’t prepare them for going up against vastly superior teams. Geno should have told them after 1st quarter forget the score, play like your in the driveway back home, let it fly, and enjoy yourselves. I don’t care if you lose by 100 but I want to see a little joy.
I would reverse what you said. If you really think they are good, you haven't been paying attention. "They weren't prepared emotionally?" Give me a break. Where we do agree is " they were going up against a vastly superior team." That's what i just got finished saying in my post, which you disagreed with.

Reaction Score
DePaul is our best win. They are currently a #4 seed, and hopefully they'll hold up down the stretch.

After that is a big dropoff: Tennessee is probably an 8 seed right now, and Ohio State and Oklahoma are bubble teams.

It's such a bifurcated resume. I agree that a 3 seed is more likely, but maybe if enough other teams have bad losses, they'll gift UConn a low 2 seed.
I think UCONN will get a three seed based, to a degree, on their historic pedigree.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that the rest of the AAC schedule will not be a slumber party and the Tournament may not be so dull and uninteresting, this team is a question mark now and we still have a big bulls eye on our back for the rest of the AAC.
And it is one more milestone for this team to trash.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
A lot of missed shots, some pretty easy, and a few turnovers too. Maybe the worst quarter of UConn basketball in 30 years... and they were only down 9.
I missed the game. And I can't imagine what most fans were going through watching it.

Reaction Score
Nobody stays on top forever. It’s time for another school to stand on top of the mountain of WBB. It’s not the end of the world. UConn will still field a team.
I believe we begin again, starting next season.

Look at our recent recruiting success ( or lack thereof );

1. There is one senior from that class who is a starter.
2. There is one junior remaining ( though a top rated player)
3. There are two sophomores ( both highly rated players )
4. There is one freshman ( not so highly rated )
5. And they signed a player from Europe ( not rated ), or they wouldn't have a starting five.

Next year, there are lots of reasons for optimism;

1. I think Olivia will improve a lot.
2. I think Westbrook can be a star
3. I think Ania will be much better
4. I think Megan will remain a solid player.
5. I am shocked by the lack of contribution from Williams, and she might well be a bench player next year.
6. I think Aubrey is limited, and will be a useful bench player.
7. The recruiting class, and the one following, will return UCONN to greater glory.

But this loss is not easily forgotten. The players didn't play. The system wasn't executed. The team just went through the motions. They didn't fight. They stood around and gave up. We have been plagued all season by sloppy play and turnovers. Tonight, committed by everyone, including our best player ( Crystal ).

Reaction Score
Okay so we're 16-18 points behind this supposed holy trinity of WCBB this season (SC, Baylor, Oregon). Can we make up this deficit come NCAAT time? I sure believe we can even if Geno at this moment doesnt think so. I refuse to be a Debbie Downer and go along with this next season this and that nonsense. There is still basketball to be played and time to figure it out. I stand by my conviction that we can pull off something special in March. Not letting go of this season until the final whistle or buzzer goes off. Go Huskies!!! #alwaysbleedUCONNblue

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
One of the three, Baylor, Oregon, or SC will lose before they get to the Final Four. I believe it can be counted on. For some reason, UConn has made a number of teams look better than they actually are.

Reaction Score
Some interesting stats not just of tonight's game, but of all 5 of the top-25 ranked opponents that CT has played this season:

First off, your top players this season have been Walker, Williams, Dangerfield, and Nelson-Ododa. They are your team's top scorers. In the other 18 games other than DePaul, Baylor, Tennessee, Oregon, and South Carolina, the offense has been:

Walker: 20.6 ppg (.500) FG%
Williams: 16.4 ppg (.496) FG%
Dangerfield: 14.7 ppg (.489) FG%
Nelson-Ododa: 11.6 ppg (.544) FG%

In the 5 top-25 games:

Dangerfield: 19.8 ppg (.456) FG%
Walker: 13.4 ppg, (.317) FG%
Williams: 10.0 ppg, (.318) FG%
Nelson-Ododa: 9.4 ppg, (.500) FG%

Dangerfield is a first-class warrior. A true leader as a senior should be. When the games get tougher she steps up her game. Unfortunately for whatever reasons both Walker and Williams have faded in the top games of the season.

Also, I look at Walker's production efforts in the games:

DePaul: 10-20 FG, 1-3 3PFG, 22 pts, 13 reb, 7 ast, 0 blk, 0 stl
Baylor: 5-20 FG, 3-8 3PFG, 18 pts, 8 reb, 3 ast, 0 blk, 2 stl
Tennessee: 3-15 FG, 2-5 3PFG, 9 pts, 6 reb, 1 ast, 0 blk, 1 stl
Oregon: 3-16 FG, 2-9 3PFG, 8 pts, 7 reb, 3 ast, 0 blk, 2 stl
South Carolina: 5-11 FG, 0-4 3PFG, 10 pts, 8 reb, 3 ast, 0 blk, 1 stl

Walker took 40 shots against DePaul and Baylor and scored a total of 40 pts in those games, but only took 42 shots in the next 3 games, scoring 27 total points

Williams' production is similar:

DePaul: 6-15 FG, 1-4 3PFG, 13 pts, 11 reb, 1 ast, 0 blk, 1 stl
Baylor: 8-17 FG, 0-5 3PFG, 21 pts, 9 reb, 1 ast, 0 blk, 0 stl
Tennessee: 4-14 FG, 0-1 3PFG, 9 pts, 7 reb, 0 ast, 0 blk, 3 stl
Oregon: 2-9 FG, 1-3 3PFG, 5 pts, 4 reb, 0 ast, 0 blk, 0 stl
South Carolina: 1-11 FG, 0-1 3PFG, 2 pts, 5 reb, 2 ast, 1 blk, 1 stl

Stronger efforts in the first 2 games, with 32 shots and scoring 34 total points, but only 34 shots in the next 3 games, scoring a total of 16 points in those games.

I think the issue right now is leadership in the bigger games, when there's a greater attrition. Beyond Dangerfield of course....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Okay so we're 16-18 points behind this supposed holy trinity of WCBB this season (SC, Baylor, Oregon). Can we make up this deficit come NCAAT time? I sure believe we can even if Geno at this moment doesnt think so. I refuse to be a Debbie Downer and go along with this next season this and that nonsense. There is still basketball to be played and time to figure it out. I stand by my conviction that we can pull off something special in March. Not letting go of this season until the final whistle or buzzer goes off. Go Huskies!!! #alwaysbleedUCONNblue
If the team's own coach genuinely doesn't believe that the team is capable, the battle is over before it's begun.

It's always been Geno's MO to motivate players by facetiously saying things like "You'll never __" or "You're the worst __ in the country," This year, I don't get the sense that he's being facetious.

Reaction Score
I though Liv all around played pretty well tonight. She forced Boston into five three pointers, she came into this game with zero attempts.

Much different from Oregon (at times) and Baylor games where I felt Liv pretty much got dominated, but then again, she was only going up against a freshman.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Dawn Staley, her team and all of Gamecock Nation. I have nothing to add to what other posters are saying. We all saw the game. We all saw the same thing. I've said this before, I'll share it one last time this season: "When people or teams show you who they are, believe them".

After the first 10 minutes, the Huskies were never quite in the game. This exposed a cold hard truth, at this point of the season, or perhaps this year overall, THIS UConn team isn’t quite able to compete with or beat the country’s elite teams. On to South Florida on Sunday.
Which brings up another question! Will the coaching staff be able to get this team’s confidence back in time to beat South Florida? You know they are going to smell blood in the water. The Huskies better bring a better attitude and forget tonight’s debacle or one of the most amazing records in Women’s Basketball history could fall!

Plebe

Reaction Score
You have been unnecessarily spicy lately. This will probably be my last time responding to anything you post.
I apologize if it didn't come across well, but surely you can appreciate that your message doesn't either.

Reaction Score
If the team's own coach genuinely doesn't believe that the team is capable, the battle is over before it's begun.

It's always been Geno's MO to motivate players by facetiously saying things like "You'll never __" or "You're the worst __ in the country," This year, I don't get the sense that he's being facetious.
Be that as may be, he still has to coach the rest of the season and go along with what happens. I'm not going to frustratingly wane over our adversities and I'm sure not going to surrender my optimism. I understand everyone is flustered, frustrated, or whatever it is they're feeling and feel free to differ its okay but I'm not giving up on this group.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
No worries Plebe. It's always good to be made aware of the rules which I bypassed.

Reaction Score
Several BY'ers have responded to my question with the same basic answer, “Anyone.” Here’s why I think that’s a bad idea.

Clearly Christyn had a bad game. The options to replace her were the freshmen, who played like deer in the headlights, or any of the other bench players (Kyla, Molly, Evelyn or Touly). IMO, it would have been unfair to any of the bench players to throw them to the wolves. What exactly is gained by, say, putting Kyla out there when she cannot possibly match up against the speed and athleticism of SC?

I think Geno had to stay with Christyn, let her experience all the bad that comes from playing badly in a loss, and hope that the bad taste that comes from it reaches into her heart, allowing her to find a new level of play she didn’t know she had in her.
Next year will be interesting. If Paige is the point guard, Westbrook could be the two guard. Her sophomore year was certainly better. Nika is also not planning on playing mop-up minutes.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Be that as may be, he still has to coach the rest of the season and go along with what happens. I'm not going to frustratingly wane over our adversities and I'm sure not going to surrender my optimism. I understand everyone is flustered, frustrated, or whatever it is they're feeling and feel free to differ its okay but I'm not giving up on this group.
Well, I do appreciate and envy your optimism -- I need more of that in my life lol! Of course I want this team to get better and fulfill its potential, compete with confidence and end on a high note. Let's hope it happens.

Reaction Score
Beginning with unrealistic expectations is sure to result in disappointment. Bottom line, that is what most fans and even the media did with respect to this present Uconn team. The same was done with CW and the overestimation of her abilities played a major role in the unrealistic expectations of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom