SC Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Try to find a little grace, huh? Don’t blame Dawn because UConn played poorly
So right. As if SCar and their talent will just disappear next year. That ain't gonna happen.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Congratulations to South Carolina. Salutes to Danger, she looked like an All American tonight. To my UConn BY friends, do not hang your heads, UConn has 3 losses but the losses were to elite teams. This year there are several teams that can win the NC and UConn is one of those teams. Go Huskies!
You southern gentlemen make me feel selfish and foolish. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Just too small. Three losses to bigger teams.

Disagree, not good enough in their own minds. Outside of obviously Dangerfield and IMO, Ono, they all played scared. Griffin and Makurat I get, unfortunate but understandable. Walker and especially Willams I don’t. Indicative of Williams play was the play Ono fouled out on. One on two, Ono played defense but fouled. Williams retreated to the other side of the basket to cover no one and watch.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield again carried the team offensively. I wish she could knock down some shots at the start of big games to settle things down for everyone else. But this performance should help get her name on the wall.

Walker played a bit better tonight but she isn’t a player that is capable of carrying a team. Last year she was a solid role player, and I think that’s where she is most comfortable.The most frustrating thing is her decision making. She has to be better.

The perplexing player to me is CW. Last year she had a huge game at ND, hit some threes down the stretch against Baylor, and was a major reason why we got to the final four. She even played well against ND In the final four. So this year I thought she was going to have a first team AA type campaign. She looked ready to play huge early against Baylor, but her season long shooting woes have seemingly crumbled her self confidence. A true finesse player, she gets completely taken out of games by her own confidence and others physicality. I hope she can figure it out because to me she is the difference.

Now that we have faced our big tests, my eyes say this is an elite eight team. I think they have the pieces to make a run, but it doesn’t look like they have the belief.

Reaction Score
Now Antonelli giving SC way too much credit. Our shooting was so disappointing again. Don't be too cocky Staley. UCONN is having an off year. They will be back next year and it will be very different.
Does she ever look at the box score before talking? UConn tied SC in rebounds AND in offensive rebounds. If UConn shot the same % as SC, they win.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Crystal and Olivia showed up, Megan and CW did not.
What about Anna? I think she was held scoreless again. Also, Aubrey...
We ARE a better team than this but I guess maybe not in big, pressure games.

Reaction Score
Sad to say, but our "stars" CW and MW do not show up in big games. CD is the only one who plays big in big games.... So many missed layups (even by CD) as has been the case all year... Anna was a non factor, surprisingly... I'm not sure if it's politically correct, but this team lacks "cajones"... :)

Reaction Score
Meg and Christyn have to get it together for the team to succeed. The Gamecocks brought the pressure on D. Crystal played like Crystal. She’s the heart of the team. Anna needs to stop hesitating and shoot the ball. Several occasions where they could have made a short runner but passed to someone who was defended. Plenty of games left to improve. Let’s get it!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A picture is worth a 1000 words

1581386230203.png

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Size killed us???? Stats say otherwise: exactly the same rebounding numbers. Also 15 turnovers, another stat that has haunted us all season, very much a function of an offense that again turned static. Might also mention missed layups and air balls, especially from Christyn.

Reaction Score
I expected some lean years after Stewart graduated. I just did not anticipate 5 years in the wilderness or longer.
Lean years? I mean you do remember that the first two years after they left town we lost on prayer buzzer beater shots in the national semi-final? A 111 game win streak, 99 game home winning streak, 36-1 two years in a row, and 35-3 last year and another final four appearance. Almost any other fan base and program would kill for that.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to South Carolina. Salutes to Danger, she looked like an All American tonight. To my UConn BY friends, do not hang your heads, UConn has 3 losses but the losses were to elite teams. This year there are several teams that can win the NC and UConn is one of those teams. Go Huskies!
We need to play with that tenacity and aggressiveness that miss state plays with. Impressed with how you guys played SC. Vic is a great coach. Always puts a team with decently ranked players but not Elite and makes them contend against the best.

Reaction Score
I said in the prediction post that I hoped things were now fixed. It appears they were not. Crystal, the senior, played like it. I thought Liv was very good just fouling out in garbage time. Ania looked like a deer in the headlights. Was afraid to shoot which caused a hitch in her rhythm so when she did shoot it had no chance. I can't believe how poor the hands are on this team. Can't control loose balls. They just try too hard and that causes them to be tight. CW again was missing in action. Aubrey needs more time. Is becoming like Molly was - will not shoot. I must have screamed 20 times at the TV to just shoot the #$%#$%@# ball. It might go in or get a rebound and score. Again not a lot of useful movement. I give SC credit for causing a lot of that. Got to have the will to win. Saw it in Crystal and at times in Liv. Not anywhere else unfortunately.

BTW I still love the team. Still hope it gets worked out. Seed doesn't matter. Still a top 10 team and one most teams will not want to play in the tournament. GO HUSKIES.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Definitely congrats to SC. Beyond that what it there to say? I think the graduation of a lot of seniors from the top teams will make us look better than we are next year. I love our girls but I'm realistic about where our team is. There's A LOT of doubt and uncertainty and it can be contagious... We are not competitive, our girls do not believe they have what it takes to compete at the highest level. They are very aggressive and celebratory against mediocre teams and are very passive against real competition. It reminds me of what coach once said about "false confidence", we have another example of it tonight and what it looks like when it's tested. I pray it doesn't carry over to next next year and they find a way to move beyond it. It makes the game very hard to watch, their aura, disposition... Its just all in their body language and game. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the SC game:
  • A few bright spots in this game. Liv played hard against Boston putting in 39 tough minutes. Crystal again looked like the only Husky who didn’t forget how to shoot the ball. UConn battled all the way to the end, but the Gamecocks were clearly the better team.
  • If I told you before the game that UConn would hold SC to only 11 pts in the 1st qtr, Husky fans would have been ecstatic. If I also told you that UConn would score only 2 pts, Husky fans would have thought I was crazy. UConn’s struggles shooting the ball in big games are hard to explain and difficult to watch.
  • SC wasn’t a whole lot better starting out, except for Ty Harris, who continues to play outstanding basketball for the Gamecocks. But SC found their rhythm and although UConn started to shoot a little better, it was clear that baskets were going to be hard to come by for the Huskies all night long.
  • I was worried about our freshmen heading into a big game against an athletic team, on the road in front of 18,000 fans. Clearly, the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. Hopefully, Anna & Aubrey learned a few things tonight and they will be much more composed the next time they face a team of SC’s caliber.
  • For the first time in many years, UConn will not have any signature wins over top 5 teams heading into the Big Dance. So long as the Huskies continue to take care of business in the AAC, they still look like a 2 seed, and maybe that gets them a good draw with an outside chance to make it back to their 13th straight FF. But right now, UConn does not appear to be able to stay with the top 3 teams in the country.
  • Finally, BIG CONGRATS to Swin Cash for being named to the WBB HOF.
Just another horrible game! They played scared, except for Dangerfield. They deserved to lose scoring only 2 points in the first quarter. They only beat 2 teams in the top 20:and they were both in the lower part. this team doesn’t deserve a number one seed.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I don't think Crystal is First Team but she should make some level of All-American.

The game plan was solid. They were getting shots early.

When they finally got their bearings, fatigue got them. I am sure that though that nobody on the bench could have provided minutes.

I don't think I have ever seen a UConn player as obviously shaken as Anna was.

When you are down, you need to press to speed up the game. They can't without the energy.

As good as Crystal has been, Harris, Sabrina and Cooper were really good against the Huskies.

How can Boston play with that much poise? She had it in USA Basketball also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom