SBNATION: 2022-23 Big East Women’s Basketball Summer Check-In: Connecticut Huskies | The Boneyard

SBNATION: 2022-23 Big East Women’s Basketball Summer Check-In: Connecticut Huskies

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"The Huskies suffered the most losses in nearly two decades and still had a season that most teams can only dream of having. They’ll probably be better next year."

"We do have to attach the tiniest of question marks to Juhasz here, as her season was ended in the NCAA tournament because of an injury."

"UConn will have to suffer along with “only” the #4 and #5 ranked players according to ESPN. Ayanna Patterson, a 6’2” forward from Indiana, gets the top billing by a hair over Ice Brady, a 6’3” forward from California." Lou Lopez-Senechal "Her time in the MAAC was capped with her third straight First Team all-conference honors and the Player of the Year trophy"

Outlook: "There is an easy argument to be made that UConn is going to be better in 2022-23 than they were in 2021-22. Yes, I realize that they went to the national championship game last season. I stand by my statement."

After thought: "Oh, and then there’s Amari DeBerry, a former top 20 prospect who played just 83 total minutes as a freshman last year."

Reaction Score
... and this question is what keeps me going during this interminable summer. Thank you, Amari, for providing something for all of us to wonder about.

Reaction Score
To me , biggest question coming in, is will Amari continue to be considered an ‘afterthought’, or will she be motivated to deliver on her touted potential.
She is the Husky I'm rooting for the most. She brings us something so very important to a traditional UCONN offense, a big who can pass and create plays for everyone else, from the high post.

Dolson was masterful at this and even though Gabby was 5'11", she was our center and was immaculate from the high post as well. ONO did a great job at this too, but we just haven't had the shooters in her four years to really make it look as pretty as possible. This year, we have the shooters. Hopefully Amari can bring it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We are going to be a guard oriented team this year. I mean we have Bueckers and Fudd (along with Ducharme and Muhl). Those are our "superstars". We just need our bigs to be "good". 2 or 3 out of Juhasz, Edwards, Patterson and Brady and we'll be fine. Getting stuff from Griffin and Senechal will be icing on the cake.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To me , biggest question coming in, is will Amari continue to be considered an ‘afterthought’, or will she be motivated to deliver on her touted potential.
She has a switch. We’ll have to wait until the holiday break to see if it has been “flipped” yet. Her performance or lack thereof in those games against top ranked teams in the first two months of the season will tell the tale. I’m rooting for Amari big time.

Reaction Score
We are going to be a guard oriented team this year. I mean we have Bueckers and Fudd (along with Ducharme and Muhl). Those are our "superstars". We just need our bigs to be "good". 2 or 3 out of Juhasz, Edwards, Patterson and Brady and we'll be fine. Getting stuff from Griffin and Senechal will be icing on the cake.
Don't forget Lou! (you didn't...) She should be in the major time mix, as she was the MAAC player of the year and has four years in D1...

However, I hope a bunch of defenses forget about Lou from time to time.... Particularly SC...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't forget Lou! (you didn't...) She should be in the major time mix, as she was the MAAC player of the year and has four years in D1...

However, I hope a bunch of defenses forget about Lou from time to time.... Particularly SC...
Not sure about "major time". She's probably gonna be depth at guard. (granted we don't have a lot of that this year) If she gets "major time" , not sure that will be a good thing. Probably would mean injuries.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Dorka will be amazing! She and Caroline have a special connection on the court which will spread to the other guards. She will average 9+ rebounds and 8-10 points per game. She will hand out 3-4 assists per game. :D:cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
There are so many possibilities with the personnel on this roster. Everyone can play up to or exceed their potential, or not. UConn can completely blow teams away or be blinded by the bright lights. We won't know until they are confronted with a legitimate test by a top 5 team. Will they ball, or will they fall? How they play will tell us what we've got, and what we can look forward to. "Handle hard better." I'm betting we ball out!!! :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score

I'm not worried or concerned about Lou. She's played 4 years of D1 ball. She won't be scared or intimidated by anyone. It's the players with no college playing experience that I'm concerned about.

Reaction Score
Typically. I will not assert my bias on any player until I see her in REAL games. However, with Geno's critiques of Ameri and words of not praise, but the fact is DeBerry is still here--that alone says --Geno has seen more than something in this kid. So, unless my reading of the tea leaves is imperfect, I'd bet my old electric honda that Geno finds a way to play her in REALLY Big game. I'll be that loud cheer you hear as she enters the game.
We may shout and cheer all the freshmen, they deserve it for just getting the UConn jersey, but if any of the Newbee's are as good as Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Edwards--as freshmen, I'll wager the townhouse on another NC. I never ever say NC before the season begins. Never. (ok once)

Reaction Score
I'm not worried or concerned about Lou. She's played 4 years of D1 ball. She won't be scared or intimidated by anyone. It's the players with no college playing experience that I'm concerned about.
Paige, Azzi, CAROLINE, Edwards, Nika--were thrown at the beasts and not only survived but thrived. RARE,
RARE, RARE. I usually follow the same path you have taken, I am, after all your fan. But there is something in the air this year. Something the Freshmen and Sophs have glowing around them that seems to say--I can't say it but it begins and ends with NC. Have I just come down with @Tony C Virus???

Reaction Score
It is a pretty good team. In fact, I love this team. But I'm not sure they really match up to any of the Stewie/Tuck teams. But maybe they don't have to in order to win an NC. I mean, that's a pretty high bar.

Just thinking of the 2016 team, which may have been the weakest of those years, they had Gabby and Napheesa coming off the bench. Just putting aside comparing starting 5s, that's two rotation players who would start this year. Can Caroline and Lou do what those two could? There are moments when Caroline looks like she could grow into the spot Napheesa occupied. I'd love it if Ayanna and Ice and Amari could become awesomely good. But they may still be one year away from full awesomeness.

Reaction Score
Paige, Azzi, CAROLINE, Edwards, Nika--were thrown at the beasts and not only survived but thrived. RARE,
RARE, RARE. I usually follow the same path you have taken, I am, after all your fan. But there is something in the air this year. Something the Freshmen and Sophs have glowing around them that seems to say--I can't say it but it begins and ends with NC. Have I just come down with @Tony C Virus???

I ask myself the same thing. The symptoms are there. ;)

My optimism is based on the last 2 classes. Five freshman players in the last 2 seasons played key roles. Bueckers, Edwards, Mühl, Fudd & Ducharme. It was more than them "contributing". They all had games where they were the key player. And now they have experience. There has been nothing lost through graduation that hasn't been replaced by a better prospect. That's the only caveat, "prospects". I'm confident that both Brady and Patterson will play and it's all a matter of how well and how much. I thinks it's reasonable to think that at least one of them will make significant contributions and a good chance it will be both. Bueckers will see to it.

Reaction Score

My optimism is based on the last 2 classes. Five freshman players in the last 2 seasons played key roles. Bueckers, Edwards, Mühl, Fudd & Ducharme. It was more than them "contributing". They all had games where they were the key player. And now they have experience. There has been nothing lost through graduation that hasn't been replaced by a better prospect. That's the only caveat, "prospects". I'm confident that both Brady and Patterson will play and it's all a matter of how well and how much. I thinks it's reasonable to think that at least one of them will make significant contributions and a good chance it will be both. Bueckers will see to it.
You nailed the contributing thing. It was an amazing year for me, I loved that kids who normally sit long period got to show what made them GENO prospects. I'm so dang proud of this group. Another less courageous group may have folded under the constant stress and strain.

I understand the new kids (all) have great reps to live up to, that for Uconn has been a mixed bag. Some have become superstars and some have become "who is that??" I do like the future for this team, can you spell NC?

On "nothing lost to graduation", I think that is a "wait and see". CW, Chrystn Williams was a very needed player these past 3 years. She was the only one to drive and score. Yes, she mentally missed some games, but I always attribute that to not feeling well. ONO, wasn't Boston, or Stewie, or Tina---it was stupid of me to ever think that! However, she was greatest Olivia Uconn has ever had. She'll be missed.

Reaction Score

It’ll all come down to the last 10 days of the season.
While - top to bottom- this is an awesome collection of talent- how UCONN plays “D”, boxes out and rebounds from the 4/5 spots (or if possitionless basketball is the label) upfront is where, in the end, it will be won or lost.
Can’t do it with only guard play.
Need to bang, box, intimidate and sweep the boards upfront.
Otherwise- another near miss.
JMHO

Reaction Score
Can’t do it without guard play either. All the banging in the paint won’t get us anywhere without great guards. Oregon and Tennessee are case studies for this. Both long and strong, but when the guards faltered they collapsed.

We need Paige Azzi Caroline and CD to unleash Dorka Aaliyah Ice Ayanna down low.

Reaction Score
I agree. I also wonder why Paterson is almost never mentioned, yet Ice Brady is everywhere. And Patterson is at least as highly rated. I am not complaining mind you.. Or suggesting anything. I hope both are super great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom