SBNATION: 2022-23 Big East Women’s Basketball Summer Check-In: Connecticut Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SBNATION: 2022-23 Big East Women’s Basketball Summer Check-In: Connecticut Huskies

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure about "major time". She's probably gonna be depth at guard. (granted we don't have a lot of that this year) If she gets "major time" , not sure that will be a good thing. Probably would mean injuries.
Lou is competing for minutes at the two positions (SG &SF) where every other player (Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey) is recovering from surgery or injury. If Lou is starting or playing major minutes (> 20 MPG) that would probably mean lingering or new injuries, but it could also mean she much better than I (we?) thought.

Reaction Score
Not sure about "major time". She's probably gonna be depth at guard. (granted we don't have a lot of that this year) If she gets "major time" , not sure that will be a good thing. Probably would mean injuries.
the Maac has arenas that fit at most 4100, they are not power 5. Not even close to playing in the Big east.

Reaction Score
Wonder if she knows that most, if not all, of Husky Nation is just itching to start howling “LOOUU!” again.
In the arena and at home.
Just give us a reason.
Curious to see what this bunch can do healthy and playing together from the first tip off in November to the last quarter in April.
Maybe the team of destiny this year. Not Henderson, either.
I’ve never seen UCONN win a NC.
Please, let us have this

Reaction Score
Predict Geno goes much of the year with an attaching, motion offense made up of 3 guards and two bigs. First time in several years that Huskies will have the depth to go at full speed entire game. If true, having 4 strong guards will be needed - everyone will likely get signficant minutes.

Reaction Score
I agree. I also wonder why Paterson is almost never mentioned, yet Ice Brady is everywhere. And Patterson is at least as highly rated. I am not complaining mind you.. Or suggesting anything. I hope both are super great.

Some of it may be due to Brady being from S Cal. while Patterson played in Indiana.

Reaction Score
Predict Geno goes much of the year with an attaching, motion offense made up of 3 guards and two bigs. First time in several years that Huskies will have the depth to go at full speed entire game. If true, having 4 strong guards will be needed - everyone will likely get signficant minutes.

I agree. But then I had that opinion last year. My opinion is stronger this year, mostly because of Bueckers' leadership skill.

Reaction Score
It’ll all come down to the last 10 days of the season.
While - top to bottom- this is an awesome collection of talent- how UCONN plays “D”, boxes out and rebounds from the 4/5 spots (or if possitionless basketball is the label) upfront is where, in the end, it will be won or lost.
Can’t do it with only guard play.
Need to bang, box, intimidate and sweep the boards upfront.
Otherwise- another near miss.
JMHO

As much as I hope for a title what I really want are 35 or so outstanding performances. I learned from golf that victory celebrations are nice but the important thing is the experience of playing, from the smell of freshly mowed grass in the morning or the uniquely pleasurable sound of a ball falling into a cup.
I'll let the players keep their goals to themselves. I never liked those Spartans who were told to come home victorious or dead.

Reaction Score
the Maac has arenas that fit at most 4100, they are not power 5. Not even close to playing in the Big east.

I doubt Lou is expecting major minutes. My suspicion is that she is looking for a pro career and a year of UConn coaching is priceless in that regard. What she is for UConn is an insurance policy. I'm confident that Geno was very sure of her ability to contribute to offer her a roster spot.

Reaction Score
I doubt Lou is expecting major minutes. My suspicion is that she is looking for a pro career and a year of UConn coaching is priceless in that regard. What she is for UConn is an insurance policy. I'm confident that Geno was very sure of her ability to contribute to offer her a roster spot.
Oh I agree with you 100%, but some ppl already overrating another player saying she is going to challenge Ducharme for minutes which is just laughable. When healthy Ducharme was one of the best players on the team, still say taking her out of the lineup cost the team a shot at the ntl title. They probably still don't win, but with her in the lineup they were a better team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
the important thing is the experience of playing, from the smell of freshly mowed grass in the morning or the uniquely pleasurable sound of a ball falling into a cup.
Don't know if you are going to get that at Gampel or the XL. :cool:

Might get a musty, sweaty smell and a swish of a ball through the net though. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When I say we are going to be guard oriented this year, it's not because of numbers. It's because our 2 best players are guards. They are going to probably carry a lot of the scoring load.

But in reality we are a little short on guards this year. Hence why Geno went to the Portal. Geno normally plays with 3 guards and 2 P/Fs. Quite often 4 and 1 in the past (probably won't see a lot of that this year).

So this year we have 5 guards (The Kid, Fudd, Muhl, CFD, and Senechal) for 3 spots.
5 P/Fs (Juhasz, Edwards, DeBerry, Patterson, Ice) for 2 spots.
And Griffin who's kind of a tweener, although she has mostly, so far in her career, played in the 4/5 rotation.
So really we are kind of looking at 5/6 players for Backcourt/Frontcourt rotations.
We may end up with some 4/5's playing the 3 about as much as the 1/2's. ??? We'll see.

Next year we should be more balanced, bringing in 2 guards and a wing (so far).

Reaction Score
Don't know if you are going to get that at Gampel or the XL. :cool:

Might get a musty, sweaty smell and a swish of a ball through the net though. ;)
There's something to be said about hearing that swish though, especially when the shot is pure.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Since Major minutes is hard to quantify, I would simply say Lou is expecting she will be part of the main rotation of players. Unlike a new entering freshman who can bide her time and work her way into the rotation, a 1 year player has to prove it quickly. I expect her to have an impact near a Caroline (perhaps without some of the heroics?) From all I have heard, she is an aggressive offensive player, a good shooter and no deer in headlights phenomenon

Reaction Score
Absolutely not a deer in the headlights. She got elbowed in the face by Ebo in the Texas game, and came back in a few mins later with a face bandage. Vic said he wasn’t sure how the game would have turned out if she’d played the entire time.

Reaction Score
Can’t do it without guard play either. All the banging in the paint won’t get us anywhere without great guards. Oregon and Tennessee are case studies for this. Both long and strong, but when the guards faltered they collapsed.

We need Paige Azzi Caroline and CD to unleash Dorka Aaliyah Ice Ayanna down low.
I did not speculate that we could.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Absolutely not a deer in the headlights. She got elbowed in the face by Ebo in the Texas game, and came back in a few mins later with a face bandage. Vic said he wasn’t sure how the game would have turned out if she’d played the entire time.
I think that quote was from one of the TX assistant coaches personally to her friend Morgan Valley and is certainly eye opening

I doubt Vic would say something that would make his team sound more vulnerable

Reaction Score
When I say we are going to be guard oriented this year, it's not because of numbers. It's because our 2 best players are guards. They are going to probably carry a lot of the scoring load.
Paige clearly is our best player, but are we so sure Azzi (or did you mean Ducharme) is #2? I'm intrigued immensely by Caroline's abilities, and I'm hoping that once she is finally 100% healthy, her shooting will return to her normal level. With her height and ability to score inside, she can be deadly.

We are really strong at guard, and I'm really eager to see how our forward/centers will perform this year. They are the key to the next championship.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige clearly is our best player, but are we so sure Azzi (or did you mean Ducharme) is #2? I'm intrigued immensely by Caroline's abilities, and I'm hoping that once she is finally 100% healthy, her shooting will return to her normal level. With her height and ability to score inside, she can be deadly.

We are really strong at guard, and I'm really eager to see how our forward/centers will perform this year. They are the key to the next championship.
I am thinking Azzi will be the next KML with maybe a bit more playmaking and defense but less rebounding.

Can Caroline reach Katie Lou status?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Paige, Azzi, CAROLINE, Edwards, Nika--were thrown at the beasts and not only survived but thrived. RARE,
RARE, RARE. I usually follow the same path you have taken, I am, after all your fan. But there is something in the air this year. Something the Freshmen and Sophs have glowing around them that seems to say--I can't say it but it begins and ends with NC. Have I just come down with @Tony C Virus???
Hope springs eternal this time of year. I’m rolling with Geno and the Huskies until they give a reason not to.

Reaction Score
Patterson was too old to be in the last international team so Brady did well there and got a lot of notoriety. I'm also hoping both are as good as I hope they will be!

Reaction Score

I think she is going to surprise a lot of people. She can flat out shoot. At Fairfield every team keyed on her. She is going to have a lot more room on the floor and Paige will get her the ball. She won’t average 19, but she is going to hit the three at a very good clip. Plus she is a natural born scorer. Lou, Azzzi, and Caroline are going to punish teams from 3, as can Paige.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Can’t do it without guard play either. All the banging in the paint won’t get us anywhere without great guards. Oregon and Tennessee are case studies for this. Both long and strong, but when the guards faltered they collapsed.

We need Paige Azzi Caroline and CD to unleash Dorka Aaliyah Ice Ayanna down low.
hmmm. and what about Nika? easy to overlook it seems.

after two years being a sparkplug, an exquisite passer and, according to geno, a true leader of the huskies, it seems odd that she's often overlooked.

strange dynamics at play in the BY.

Reaction Score
hmmm. and what about Nika? easy to overlook it seems.

after two years being a sparkplug, an exquisite passer and, according to geno, a true leader of the huskies, it seems odd that she's often overlooked.

strange dynamics at play in the BY.
I like Nika just fine. But I was talking about offense, not defense. She created offense from her exquisite defense. However, in the half court set, she is not our biggest asset.

Has she been an exquisite passer? At times, and especially on the break. But she's also picked up her dribble in the lane often enough and then looked around in a panic for someone to save her from a 3 second call. I think she's reduced the number of these lane-errors, but she hasn't eliminated this sort of thing from her game. Part of the problem -- and this has been discussed to death already -- is that she's not a great finisher at the rim. This gives her fewer options once she enters the lane. I was glad to hear her say she was going to work on this aspect of her offense. It bodes well for the future.

Reaction Score
To me , biggest question coming in, is will Amari continue to be considered an ‘afterthought’, or will she be motivated to deliver on her touted potential.
Tina Charles took a lot of heat from Geno, but ultimately blossomed from that pressure. Could Amari benefit from that kind of attention? It would be a shame if Amari doesn't meet her 6'5" athletic potential. Otherwise, why recruit her, as a comedic bench warmer?

Reaction Score
Dorka will be amazing! She and Caroline have a special connection on the court which will spread to the other guards. She will average 9+ rebounds and 8-10 points per game. She will hand out 3-4 assists per game. :D:cool:
If Dorka averages 10,10,& 3 or better and the rest of the team play to their potential, this will be a historic season! One that will “live in famy” as we like to say in our family! I won’t make a prediction but, let’s just say I won’t be surprised if our NC total is sitting on even numbers next season. Clearly, SC and Stanford are problems that will have to be dealt with, but hopefully, this time we won’t go into the final (if we are fortunate enough to get there) with one hand tied behind our back! Come on, November!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rawdawg35

Top Bottom