Saylor Poffenbarger in Transfer Portal [merged thread] | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Saylor Poffenbarger in Transfer Portal [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not to bash Saylor or anything but I knew she would eventually transfer just didn’t know it’ll be this soon. You have a skilled 6’3 and a super athletic 6’1 player coming in. Toomey seems to be leading UConn way. Azzi and Caroline seem to be getting a lot of minutes. I think she just didn’t want to be buried on the beach. But to talk about UConn as if all these great former and current players didn’t go through college life at UConn and made out to be awesome woman is just mind blowing. I’m not buying that at all but also wish Saylor the best.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If she had been playing or thought she had a chance to play a significant amount of minutes she wouldve stayed. Lets face it. With our roster full of top players, and with more top players coming in next season who are coming here to play not sit. Saylor is a very very good player and came here early last season to get a jump on those coming in this season IMO. IMO she came here to be ready in hopes of getting play time this season. She got hurt and didnt play and IMO saw the writing on the wall. Shes good enough to play at another top school and I believe thats why shes leaving. Nothing else written means much so I'll leave it at that. Take a look at our roster and we have alot of kids ranked in the top 10 who expect to play and Geno has to find time for them or they too will leave. Thats why we're 9 deep right now and thats why our chemistry against Arkansas didnt look as good as we're used to seeing because all those kids need to play. Looking at where we're at now we are playing 9 deep. Basically we have 4 positions Saylor could play because she aint playin center. Looking at next season we have Paige Azzi Nika and Caroline. Then Edwards Griff Mir and Patterson Ice playing positions other then the center/post. Next season the post will be Dorka DeBerry and Piath. We are deep at every position with really good players. Saylor would get minutes next season but how many compared to playing for another school where they have less competition for playtime. Saylor will be top 6 player at most other schools. I think she is a very good player, who wants to play and she will at most other schools. She will get offers from alot of other schools that are top 25 in the country and she will play more minutes then she does at UConn. One other point. We dont know who else will commit or transfer to UConn over the next year or two. You can bet who ever does will be a top 5-10 player who will want to play right away and that too will take minutes away from everybody else. Saylor is a very good player and wants to play/start sooner then UConn can offer her so imo this is whats best for her. Good Luck Saylor.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the family jumped at a UCONN offer before fully considering all factors.
Lol I’m sure they spent years thinking about this decision and evaluating, but sure based on 1 or 2 posts/comments you can conclude that they didn’t give it due diligence.

Btw what will powerball be this week?

Reaction Score
It's not surprising that someone on the team decided she would have better luck with playing time elsewhere. The Huskies are loaded and it's not going to change in the near future. She will hopefully find herself in a better position to play and excel at her next stop. From the sound of it she has the potential to do well.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but did you hear Kara W go off on this topic Sunday? "What happens when you have two kids on a team getting paid? Does that start affecting who you pass to?" Not the popular position but she's a hard no.

I'm with Kara. IMO it is only a matter of time before something like this happens, whether at UConn or somewhere else. Envy is never pretty.

Reaction Score
But wouldn't Saylor have had much more opportunity to play in a year or two? We lose, what, three players, perhaps four, next year? And she isn't the typical UConn transfer, who is mediocre and moves to a lower-talent team (Penn State, Wisconsin, Boston College) to get more minutes. She was a top talent and a big, capable of shooting three's. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Being from Frederick County, and only a few miles from Middletown, this is pretty disappointing news but not surprising given the overall situation of injuries and potential playing time.

I did have a Carnac moment when I looked back at the "Saylor eligibility" thread, I wrote "Dollars to donuts and credits aside, she will not be listed as a So. on the roster come January." ;)

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm with Kara. IMO it is only a matter of time before something like this happens, whether at UConn or somewhere else. Envy is never pretty.
... and how long before NIL tentacles get into recruiting? It's a real can of worms.

Reaction Score
Being from Frederick County, and only a few miles from Middletown, this is pretty disappointing news but not surprising given the overall situation of injuries and potential playing time.

I did have a Carnac moment when I looked back at the "Saylor eligibility" thread, I wrote "Dollars to donuts and credits aside, she will not be listed as a So. on the roster come January." ;)

Curious that her mom mentions the lack of social life at UConn. I mean, this kid grew up in Frederick, Maryland! Hello!! Not Manhattan exactly! It's a recent developing town whose biggest draw in the past had been its proximity to the site of the Battle of Antietam. UConn is closer to metro Hartford than Frederick is to Washington, D.C.

But disappointing to lose such a fine talent, and so soon. Hope she heals soon and finds her center again.

Reaction Score
I wondered if Geno called Shea to give her a heads up before the news was released. I think it would really piss off VolNation if she eventually chose Vandy. I think that would be a great choice for Saylor as Shea could really use her help, plus the best academics, vibrant city, and a very good BB conference.
I doubt any LV fan would care LOL . Go to vandy , their not winning anything anytime soon LOL.

Reaction Score
Two cents: sometimes it’s as simple as chemistry with teammates.
Covid year was tough on team bonding in general. If a player just isn’t feeling it and is kind of a fifth wheel in a group or (dare I say it) clique, it can affect her feeling of belonging. IMO this is what happened with Angela Dugalic at Oregon. Just saying …

Reaction Score
Why is her mother complaining about social life when her kid enrolled in college in the middle of a global pandemic? Many students were taking classes remotely. Maybe that is why classes did not seem as engaging but this was normal procedure nation wide. No there were not going to be big parties in December or January when she arrived, its winter break! No matter what school she went to she would have had strict protocol so that teams wouldn't catch the virus. Whatever college she transfers to, if she had gone there last year in the middle of a pandemic I bet she would not be happy there either. So take shots at UConn on the way out I guess.

Reaction Score
Lots of people are saying “fine talent” “sharpshooter” etc etc etc. I wish her luck however, we did NOT see her play at a high college level. Sometimes great HS players do not become great college players. We’ve seen that a few times. I know she was injured but some are laying the praise on a little thick.

Reaction Score
Lots of people are saying “fine talent” “sharpshooter” etc etc etc. I wish her luck however, we did NOT see her play at a high college level. Sometimes great HS players do not become great college players. We’ve seen that a few times. I know she was injured but some are laying the praise on a little thick.
I think she and the coaches attributed her shot being off to a back injury and significant pain, an injury with which she is still dealing. I don't think her shooting ability pre-injury was doubted by the coaching staff.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If she had been playing or thought she had a chance to play a significant amount of minutes she would've stayed. Lets face it. With our roster full of top players, and with more top players coming in next season who are coming here to play not sit. Saylor is a very very good player and came here early last season to get a jump on those coming in this season IMO....She got hurt and didn't play and ... saw the writing on the wall. She's good enough to play at another top school and I believe that's why she's leaving.

It's not surprising that someone on the team decided she would have better luck with playing time elsewhere. The Huskies are loaded and it's not going to change in the near future. She will hopefully find herself in a better position to play and excel at her next stop. From the sound of it she has the potential to do well.

I'm pretty much in agreement/alignment with these two comments. UConn will obviously be fine and, in the right place, so will Saylor. Good luck to her.

My only addition to these is that the loaded roster and competition for playing time are hard enough: Geno's preference for a short bench accentuates it. There's only 200 minutes in a game and he usually rides with his starters and a few subs for most of those minutes. That's just the way it is. If you can't see PT this season or not much next, maybe time for another court?

(BTW, MM was the same way with the short rotation. Thus far, Niele has been playing 9 of her 10 scholarship players regularly, but I'm sure that tightens up by the all-ACC part of the schedule.)

Reaction Score
Why is her mother complaining about social life when her kid enrolled in college in the middle of a global pandemic? Many students were taking classes remotely. Maybe that is why classes did not seem as engaging but this was normal procedure nation wide. No there were not going to be big parties in December or January when she arrived, its winter break! No matter what school she went to she would have had strict protocol so that teams wouldn't catch the virus. Whatever college she transfers to, if she had gone there last year in the middle of a pandemic I bet she would not be happy there either. So take shots at UConn on the way out I guess.
Ironically I know someone from the same area as Saylor who is a freshman this semester at UConn. He says it's very hard to meet people and to find places to get quality food. Mostly just buys something from the cafeteria at the school, but Storrs is a small location. I'm sure Saylor first came to Uconn for basketball reasons, but when you're not getting playing time everything else seems gigantic. The location (I hear it gets cold and snows all Winter) the things to do around the city. If she wants to go to another place that is more vibrant like some suggest Nashville, or even La then she has the right too.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not to bash Saylor or anything but I knew she would eventually transfer just didn’t know it’ll be this soon. You have a skilled 6’3 and a super athletic 6’1 player coming in. Toomey seems to be leading UConn way. Azzi and Caroline seem to be getting a lot of minutes. I think she just didn’t want to be buried on the beach. But to talk about UConn as if all these great former and current players didn’t go through college life at UConn and made out to be awesome woman is just mind blowing. I’m not buying that at all but also wish Saylor the best.
What 6'1" player is coming to UConn next season?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I just read this article. Didn't sit well with me this part of the statement from her Mom.
I think people are taking mom's quote too personally. I don't think she meant to bash the school. Maybe Saylor wanted more of a life outside of the basketball program. Maybe Saylor plans on going pro in something other than basketball. The intersection of schools in the Venn diagram of good academics and top shelf women's basketball programs is quite small. We're talking maybe a handful or two of schools at most, so throw in a third factor like the social scene and your list quickly gets pared down to just a few schools in the entire country. Prospective recruits have to prioritize and weigh different factors. It is hard for me to believe that a recruit and family visited Storrs, and came away thinking it would have the things that a bigger school and college town would offer. I remember Stef in what was basically her farewell address with Bria after the 2014 championship said something like this with respect to coming to Storrs. As for how this impacts the program, it's not like we missed out on another top recruit because Saylor took that spot, and there haven't been too many (or any? besides EDD) transferees that went on to have a consequential basketball career, and some even end up transferring again (e.g. DJB, Lexi, etc.). So we wish the Poffenbargers well, and life in the Huskies WCBB program goes on with a slightly more manageable roster size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom