Saylor Poffenbarger in Transfer Portal [merged thread] | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Saylor Poffenbarger in Transfer Portal [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I read the quote as basically she was bored. Storrs isn't Austin or Chapel Hill or Ann Arbor or Gainesville or Madison, so if the night life and/or social scene is a priority, UConn is definitely not the place to be.
Growing up in Middletown and Frederick is not the epitome of night life unless she was around in the late 80s when members of Kix came to town and hung out at a bar that I frequented.

Reaction Score
Mom feels the need to bash Uconn on the way out? Good riddance.
And Covid wasn't part of that? Come on... time to ignore this thread if this is the sort of reasoning being put out by her camp....

Reaction Score
Or maybe she's simply saying what her daughter told her.

UConn isn't for everybody and everybody isn't for UConn.

Good luck Saylor.
Her mom should realize UConn is not a party school.

Reaction Score
I think the reality of her basketball situation (health and a realization of how many good players there are in college vying for very few pro opportunities) made her realize that she was not going to be a WNBA caliber player and that it was time to find another life path. A path that may include basketball, but basketball is not going to be her major. Given that, it will be interesting to see where she ends up.

Reaction Score
I think people are taking mom's quote too personally. I don't think she meant to bash the school. Maybe Saylor wanted more of a life outside of the basketball program. Maybe Saylor plans on going pro in something other than basketball. The intersection of schools in the Venn diagram of good academics and top shelf women's basketball programs is quite small. We're talking maybe a handful or two of schools at most, so throw in a third factor like the social scene and your list quickly gets pared down to just a few schools in the entire country. Prospective recruits have to prioritize and weigh different factors. It is hard for me to believe that a recruit and family visited Storrs, and came away thinking it would have the things that a bigger school and college town would offer. I remember Stef in what was basically her farewell address with Bria after the 2014 championship said something like this with respect to coming to Storrs. As for how this impacts the program, it's not like we missed out on another top recruit because Saylor took that spot, and there haven't been too many (or any? besides EDD) transferees that went on to have a consequential basketball career, and some even end up transferring again (e.g. DJB, Lexi, etc.). So we wish the Poffenbargers well, and life in the Huskies WCBB program goes on with a slightly more manageable roster size.
I agree, but I don't think it was necessary for her to say that. She could have just said that she weighed her options and felt it was best for her to move on. Done. Her reasoning may be true for her, but not for everyone. UConn is a great place and everyone who has attended school there loves it that I know of (and I have known plenty of graduates, including my boss.)

Reaction Score
Amy Poffenbarger's comments were confusing. Acedemics not engaging? Didn't have the opportunity to meet others? Huskies traveled throughout the US, had a diverse group of players, and got visiters from around the US and world. Not worth alot of commentary but seems like she was trying to justify her daughter's change and didn't have the proper words.
I agree with you, and I believe Amy Poffenbarger is disappointed that her daughter’s playing time would be significantly decreased. Any parent would. But my mom wouldn’t whine about my reduced role in the team. She would’ve told me to dig deeper and work harder, so that the coach has to play me. I was raised with the idea that it didn’t matter how big your role was. It was how you performed in that role that won you accolades. Even if that role was sweeping the floor.

Reaction Score
Ayanna Patterson. You don’t know the girl that can Dunk with 2 hands and windmill like Vince Carter lol
I have seen her two handed dunks. Very Impressive.

Do you have links to any windmill dunks or in-game dunks? I briefly surfed for some but didn't see any.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree, but I don't think it was necessary for her to say that. She could have just said that she weighed her options and felt it was best for her to move on. Done. Her reasoning may be true for her, but not for everyone. UConn is a great place and everyone who has attended school there loves it that I know of (and I have known plenty of graduates, including my boss.)
What?
Did you boss play basketball?
You do realize that because of the requirements of playing basketball Saylor was not as able to enjoy the many good things about UCONN and was part of her decision to leave leave right?
Does your definition of everyone include Megan Walker and Sadie Edwards?

Centerstream

Reaction Score
The last two players that were doing the 3 point high fives have transferred...kiss of death??? :):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The last two players that were doing the 3 point high fives have transferred...kiss of death??? :):rolleyes:
Maybe they should stop doing the 3 point high fives. I have no idea if it is actually the case, but to me the appearance is that the low person on the "totem pole" gets that assignment. If a player interprets it that way, it could easily lower their confidence.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe they should stop doing the 3 point high fives. I have no idea if it is actually the case, but to me the appearance is that the low person on the "totem pole" gets that assignment. If a player interprets it that way, it could easily lower their confidence.
Not the case because Maya Moore and Stewie have come out of games and led this celebration. It's a great tradition and a way for the player not in the game to stay engaged with what is going on on the floor.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
In Saylor's case I thought she was doing it because she was an injured freshman. But I am only guessing.

Reaction Score
Lots of people are saying “fine talent” “sharpshooter” etc etc etc. I wish her luck however, we did NOT see her play at a high college level. Sometimes great HS players do not become great college players. We’ve seen that a few times. I know she was injured but some are laying the praise on a little thick.
That’s why I think it’s a waste of time for fans to constantly refer to a kid’s HS ranking as some kind guarantee the kid will be great or that a school has the best recruiting class as in “we’ve got 4 #1s so we’re loaded and will dominate for the next few years.” That ranking means nothing once those kids get to a college campus. There are maybe 3-5 kids a year that a good evaluator can tell will be serious impact players early or right away. After that it’s just a guessing game, some will develop and others won’t. And at a top 5-10 program some won’t be able to handle the competition.

Reaction Score
Not the case because Maya Moore and Stewie have come out of games and led this celebration. It's a great tradition and a way for the player not in the game to stay engaged with what is going on on the floor.
I see your point, just not sure I can agree

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but did you hear Kara W go off on this topic Sunday? "What happens when you have two kids on a team getting paid? Does that start affecting who you pass to?" Not the popular position but she's a hard no.
Sorry, but that argument is ridiculous. In minor league baseball, there are players who signed for five million dollars alongside teammates who signed for one thousand dollars. I have never heard a word about resentment, in print or otherwise. Pitchers don’t throw at someone’s head because they make a lot more money.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Saylor. Not sure if she knew her mom was going to make that kind of quote. Of course between here and twitter, Saylor will now be receiving the black lash for it. As an adult I think her mom should have said nothing or made a gracious statement and moved on. Not going to bash Saylor for it, because she didn’t say it so I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt.

UConn isn’t for everyone and I’m glad she realized that sooner than later. Her minutes she would have gotten this year can go to developing a different player that wants to be here and improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom