Saylor article - critics take note | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saylor article - critics take note

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
hmmm maybe this explains why Saylor seemed so stiff and slow. not writing her off, but she didn't show anything in her limited minutes. i dont care much about the missed shots; she just looked very stiff and slow to me. but maybe the back was an issue. i cant read the above article but i assume it eludes to a back and/or leg issue based on the responses from others.
She had been with the team for ONE WEEK before her first game. People were bemoaning the rest of the team only having a couple of months to prepare for the season rather than the usual 4-5. This girl had one week. She hadn't played basketball since the previous March. Of course she looked stiff and slow, nobody can learn UConn basketball in a week.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sm
hmmm maybe this explains why Saylor seemed so stiff and slow. not writing her off, but she didn't show anything in her limited minutes. i dont care much about the missed shots; she just looked very stiff and slow to me. but maybe the back was an issue. i cant read the above article but i assume it eludes to a back and/or leg issue based on the responses from others.
It’s a free article, no subscription required

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Geno is paying attention to what Tara is doing and give at least ten-twelve players meaningful minutes.
Mayb he should follow the Colorado coach since she beat Stanford once Geno hasn’t beat them in awhile

Reaction Score
"Red sky in the morning, Saylor takes warning." Do you guys think she does anything different if she sees a red sky in the morning?

Reaction Score
Hopefully Saylor will be back at 100% by the end of the summer.

Any negative perceptions could be erased in a matter of minutes.

Speaking of minutes, that is an issue for her and almost everyone on the team. As in, not enough of them. But having watched six player “rotations” in recent years, I couldn’t be happier.

I was never a great athlete but I played three sports and at times I played through injury and pain in all three, including a lower back injury where I could barely move on the basketball court before shutting it down for almost a month. I also played healthy. Huge difference. I would not have wanted to be judged based on my (lack of) performance playing while injured.

So let’s cut Saylor some slack. (That’s a sailing term, right?)

Go Saylor!
Yes, as in "Take line 1 to the capstan, take in lines 2 and 3 and slack line 4!" Preparing to get underway....

Reaction Score
All I know about Saylor is what I saw last year and it wasn't very impressive. So, while I am rooting for her (and all of the players) I'm reserving judgement and not making any prediction about her until I see it on the court. Words mean nothing. Show it. Just do it!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am not worried about her skills.MilfordHusky’s opinion is good enough for me. I am worried about the health of her back. if she is 100% by the start of the season, watch out.
Thanks! Saylor has extreme versatility, much like Caroline. I knew it was going to be tough for her last season, but I expected a better shooting percentage and more inside play. I give her a total pass due to her stress fracture. If she can get 100% healthy, you'll see why Geno was so interested. She's a great kid with good size and a very talented glue player.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Thanks! Saylor has extreme versatility, much like Caroline. I knew it was going to be tough for her last season, but I expected a better shooting percentage and more inside play. I give her a total pass due to her stress fracture. If she can get 100% healthy, you'll see why Geno was so interested. She's a great kid with good size and a very talented glue player.
Any guess about how long the back has been bothering her?

Reaction Score
With Saylor it's simple.

1-- If she hits her perimeter shots consistently and she plays good enough defense-- she'll play.
or
2-- If she doesn't hit her perimeter shots, but if she is defensive dynamo like Aubrey (or Nadev Henefeld back in the day) but is a good passer and good ft shooter,--she'll play.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

For much of the time she was at UConn.

“I’d been having pain since February but just played my way through it,” Poffenbarger said. “In April when we got back from the tournament it was getting worse.

“I’m doing a lot of rehab, a lot of leg strength rehab. It takes time, so it’s been really hard on me.”

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
For much of the time she was at UConn.

“I’d been having pain since February but just played my way through it,” Poffenbarger said. “In April when we got back from the tournament it was getting worse.

“I’m doing a lot of rehab, a lot of leg strength rehab. It takes time, so it’s been really hard on me.”
Thanks for the response. Why not surgery if she has been in pain that long?

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Saylor big time, just like I'm sure all UCONN fans are. However, she was given a decent amount of opportunity to produce on the floor last season. She averaged more minutes than Piath or Autumn playing in 12 games and was less effective overall than either of them. She went 1-11 from 3, and 2-15 overall.

There were several others who jumped from HS to college mid season - notably Olivia Miles and Talia Van Oelhoffen. Olivia played 6 games and averaged 9 PPG. Talia was core player for Oregon State, played in 13 games and averaged over 11 PPG.

Both of those players were higher ranked that Saylor. Both of them were on teams with less talent. Both played way more minutes. But Saylor simply looked like a fish out of water, while the the other 2 kids hit the ground running. And most of the games she played in was against lesser competition (ie. not playing vs. SC, Tennessee, etc.).

Having a stress fracture in her back can certainly explain her performance, poor kid. I'm certainly not writing her off, and am hoping she's a key contributor this year. But given the talent on this team, and the fact that at her "position(s) (ie. 3-4)", I suspect not only will Caroline be ahead of her on the depth chart, but also Christyn, Evina, Mir, Aubrey, Liya and possibly Dorka.

I know Christyn and Evina are not necessarily 3's or 4's, but if UCONN starts Nika and Paige or Paige and Azzi, Christyn and Evina are effectively playing the 3 and 4 respectively.

Plus coming back from an injury will put her behind everyone now, even tho she came to college early. I hope she comes back slowly so that when she does get out on the court, she can go 100% and hopefully show what she's capable of.
Possibly Dorka????? She was all Big 10 as a sophomore and you place Mir and Aubrey above her??? I have no clue how such an opinion is even possible.

Reaction Score
Sm

Im in the UK and it will not allow me to read it. it says it is 'unavailable due to legal reasons', presumably bc i dont reside id the usa. thanks

Reaction Score
She had been with the team for ONE WEEK before her first game. People were bemoaning the rest of the team only having a couple of months to prepare for the season rather than the usual 4-5. This girl had one week. She hadn't played basketball since the previous March. Of course she looked stiff and slow, nobody can learn UConn basketball in a week.

I realise she had been with the team for a short period of time. I am pretty sure it was longer than a week before GA put her in.

It wasn't the 'learning' that I was referring to. Of course you can tell the difference when somebody might not understand the offense as well, although this is contrary to many opinions here that GA will not allow those to play who don't understand that offense. You can see a hesitation. But that is NOT what I'm referring too. Overall, her movements in general looked stiff and slow to me. At that age, you don't need to play BB every day to look quick and fluid.

If she had back issues or leg issues, this would be much more likely the reason why she looked stiff in slow in ALL of her movements and not just a hesitation where she wasn't sure where to go on what to do on offence and defence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sm

not free. Says you need to be a subscriber.

Thank you for reading!​

Please purchase a subscription to read our premium content. If you have a subscription, please log in or sign up for an account on our website to continue.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I realise she had been with the team for a short period of time. I am pretty sure it was longer than a week before GA put her in.

It wasn't the 'learning' that I was referring to. Of course you can tell the difference when somebody might not understand the offense as well, although this is contrary to many opinions here that GA will not allow those to play who don't understand that offense. You can see a hesitation. But that is NOT what I'm referring too. Overall, her movements in general looked stiff and slow to me. At that age, you don't need to play BB every day to look quick and fluid.

If she had back issues or leg issues, this would be much more likely the reason why she looked stiff in slow in ALL of her movements and not just a hesitation where she wasn't sure where to go on what to do on offence and defence.
She had to quarantine for 10 days due to COVID restrictions before practicing or playing.

Joined team Jan. 15

First game was Jan. 31

Some people are really determined they’re not going to like Saylor.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Saylor's versatility is the key. She can play 2 - 4 and spent most of her time in the paint on defense in HS (12.7 rebounds and a couple of blocks per game)
Go back and watch the USA basketball tapes if you want to see the real Saylor. Good shooter, willing and talented passer, uses her high basketball IQ to anticipate and disrupt on defense.

She wasn't under the radar in HS and had multiple offers from big schools. MD was on her early and offered before Geno. Really good player and great team mate. This is a super talented, deep UConn team and we just need to be patient.

Reaction Score
She had to quarantine for 10 days due to COVID restrictions before practicing or playing.

Joined team Jan. 15

First game was Jan. 31

Some people are really determined they’re not going to like Saylor.
Im not sure if you are trying to say i dont like Saylor.

for the record, i DO like Saylor which is why i am so relieved to hear that she had back problems last year (as weird as that sounds) which would explain more than anything, her stiff and slow movements.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Possibly Dorka????? She was all Big 10 as a sophomore and you place Mir and Aubrey above her??? I have no clue how such an opinion is even possible.
I was referring to the position Dorka plays - ie. even tho she has range, at 6'5", she really is a 5. Don't think there's a time when Saylor would need to play the 5 unless Liv, Dorka and Liya fouled out. But... I wasn't listing depth chart, but rather position players who I think would/could be ahead of Saylor...

Phew - I hope that explanation absolves me from your wrath! ;)

Reaction Score
Hoping Saylor comes back strong and doesn’t have recurring injuries.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the response. Why not surgery if she has been in pain that long?
Nice to see all the "Holiday Inn Express" MD's have logged in. From what the article says, she has a stress fracture in her back. To call it a broken back is a bit of an overstatement IMO. For more info on spinal stress fractures, read this: What is a Stress Fracture of the Spine? - . As is usual with backs, surgery is about the last thing you want to consider.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hopefully, Geno is paying attention to what Tara is doing and give at least ten-twelve players meaningful minutes.
Geno does not need to look to Tara to learn how to handle a rotation. Geno will not be "giving" the players minutes, these UCONN WBB players will be earning their minutes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From the article:

I’d been having pain since February but just played my way through it,”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom