Say something nice about Bob Diaco | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Say something nice about Bob Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like the chairman of the board used to sing, he did it his way.

Reaction Score
I liked him Sunday through Friday.
He's also leaving behind the RKG's.

RE doesn't have to clean up a program.
He's got a lot work to do, for us to get back to respectability, but the players seem like good kids.

Reaction Score
I think the guy's heart was in the right place. At the very least, I think he brought in a good group of young men that he truly cares about. The donation was very generous. The press conferences were fun for a while. If it weren't for the on-field results, we would have loved his quirks. Unfortunately for him, the results matter (a lot).

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He was a necessary first step after PPGDL. He got the players back in shape and had the needed enthusiasm. Unfortunately he brought nothing,nothing of use to the field on Saturday afternoons. Our best offense was BS running no huddle two minute drills and playing based off rooster and balls. His idea of exciting was two or three ill timed trick plays a game instead of a steady variety. RE's job is to get dudes playing football at a 7-9 win a year level and make the job desirable for a top young coach when he steps down.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I come to bury Ceasar, not to praise him. This thread is three pages in a little over a day. You can go back three months and not find three pages of positive posts about HCBD.

Reaction Score
He ran a clean program. While he put an embarrassing product on the field, his players did not embarrass us off the field and by all accounts were solid in the classroom.
Addition: It certainly helps that Randy doesn't have to walk in and change the culture of how the players behave on and off the field. He doesn't need to clear a lot of bad apples out of the locker room as he apparently did at MD. Diaco certainly had the players working hard in the classroom and on the practice field and dedicated to succeeding, unfortunately the path he put them on to achieve that success was so incredibly off base. But he didn't leave Randy a disaster that would require overhauling the current roster due to off-field or attitude issues.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
He did not retain GDL on his coaching staff at UConn when hired. Does that count as a positive?

Sorry if this has since been addressed, but I didn't read the rest of the thread to see if it was.

This can't count as a positive because FHCBD didn't have the option to retain him. GDL and PP were fired together.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He came he saw he gloated he did nothing he's gone
Good Luck FHCBD

C

Chief00

He was good about rewarding walk-ons with schollies. liked that, a lot. I tend to believe the poor culture within the facilities was reversed. Jim Rome liked having him on his show each year which was good national PR for the program...until all the on-field stupid stuff Trumped it.

Chief00 timeout from party - as a school we need to start signing more talented recruits to scholarships rather than wasting them on walk-0ns. Makes for a nice Jeff Jacobs column - but we need talent not nice.

C

Chief00

I think Diaco will get another crack at being a head coach in the future, and if he can put his ego aside and be willing to delegate and work with assistants who might steal the spotlight once in a while, he'll probably be successful. If that's the case, the crazy press conferences and creative rivalries (or whatever else he comes up with) will become positives instead of negatives. Sadly, he tried to micromanage and couldn't delegate, and when it came time to revamp the staff he was too inflexible to work with Jerry Kill, and that killed Diaco's career.

I still think if he had hired an actual OC instead of a journeyman assistant like Verducci, and been willing to learn from in-game mistakes, he would have been on track to winning 7-8 games (which is now the expectation for Edsall). And if he had people on staff who could actually recruit kids with P5 offers, there would start to be a legitimate buzz in the media and all of the Civil ConFLiCT and the red pants and quotes would start tilting from national laughing stock to a success story, even snowballing nationally if - IF - he put UConn in a position to compete for a conference title.

Lots of "Ifs"

Reaction Score
Something nice..
He had 2 wins in 3 years against FBS schools with winning recods.
Had 3 wins barely against FCS SCHOOLS.

Reaction Score
Chief00 timeout from party - as a school we need to start signing more talented recruits to scholarships rather than wasting them on walk-0ns. Makes for a nice Jeff Jacobs column - but we need talent not nice.
I didn't realize that, bringing in talented players on scholarship, thanks for pointing that out, very insightful . Scholarships open for a variety of reasons. Coaches don't have to but I think its nice to award a deserving kid if only for one year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline