Say something nice about Bob Diaco | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Say something nice about Bob Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My contribution:

For Those About to Rock is a great song.
In his final meeting with DB and SH....

"Bob it was a pleasure knowing you, good luck in all your future endeavors. Here is your check for $2,000,000.".... Handshake

Reaction Score
He is a solid defensive coach and (for awhile) he was a breath of fresh air after the reign of the energy vampire. I wish him the best.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Without going through all the responses, he ran a clean program and made sure kids were getting an education.

Losing sucks for us fans but there is always a new batch of recruits and new hope. For the players, they still have a life to live beyond their college playing days.

Reaction Score
He was good about rewarding walk-ons with schollies. liked that, a lot. I tend to believe the poor culture within the facilities was reversed. Jim Rome liked having him on his show each year which was good national PR for the program...until all the on-field stupid stuff Trumped it.

Reaction Score
He came in with a lot of flash and hype, had some good ideas (the ConFLiCT is great, f the haters), and was very generous with his donation to the school

Ultimately though he was a lot of sizzle and no steak.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
His car Lexus GS-F was a beautiful piece of machinery..

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm sure he's great in an interview.

Reaction Score
He wasn't PPGDL !

But in all sincerity, i really do think he tried hard, in his own way, to get us to a good place. Unfortunately his plan to get us there was bat-nuts crazy, and he refused to budge on it despite the fact that not only wasn't it working, but it was having the reverse effect on the scoreboard. His ego was so big that he just couldn't get out of his own way.

He will likely learn a lesson from this, as he is probably at one of his professional low-points right now. I hope, for his own sake, that he will "bend" the way our defense always did during his tenure.

Reaction Score
He donated a good amount of cash to the university last year (I don't remember the details). He made an effort to visit fans in Fairfield County, Boston area and NYC. Following the bowl season a lot of us thought he would be the one to turn this program around-some even thinking we could be AAC contenders in 2017. I loved the guy's enthusiasm but it became way too much #fishcake

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I still have never watched his introductory press conference, but I understand that it was quite exceptional.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He donated a good amount of cash to the university last year (I don't remember the details). He made an effort to visit fans in Fairfield County, Boston area and NYC. Following the bowl season a lot of us thought he would be the one to turn this program around-some even thinking we could be AAC contenders in 2017. I loved the guy's enthusiasm but it became way too much #fishcake
If RE could acquire a small (very small) amount of BD's personality it would be great.

BD did realize the importance of cultivating a fan base and football culture (RE too often griped that we didn't have it here) and did a lot of the right things (more style than substance however) to begin building it. Unfortunately he was a bit detached from reality and once he was informed that results were necessary, he became completely unhinged.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think Diaco will get another crack at being a head coach in the future, and if he can put his ego aside and be willing to delegate and work with assistants who might steal the spotlight once in a while, he'll probably be successful. If that's the case, the crazy press conferences and creative rivalries (or whatever else he comes up with) will become positives instead of negatives. Sadly, he tried to micromanage and couldn't delegate, and when it came time to revamp the staff he was too inflexible to work with Jerry Kill, and that killed Diaco's career.

I still think if he had hired an actual OC instead of a journeyman assistant like Verducci, and been willing to learn from in-game mistakes, he would have been on track to winning 7-8 games (which is now the expectation for Edsall). And if he had people on staff who could actually recruit kids with P5 offers, there would start to be a legitimate buzz in the media and all of the Civil ConFLiCT and the red pants and quotes would start tilting from national laughing stock to a success story, even snowballing nationally if - IF - he put UConn in a position to compete for a conference title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom