Sarah Strong is a Husky! (Part 2) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sarah Strong is a Husky! (Part 2)

Reaction Score
I want to see the kid who pushes Ash out of the starting lineup. Could it happen? Maybe. Could it be a healthy Azzi? Maybe and then again maybe not.
I suspect Azzi will do exactly this. But it will only be temporary. 23-24 was the Ashlynn Shade class. And in 25-26 and 26-27 she will anchor the team next to Sarah and Jana. I expect her to have a great career.

And folks will look at the stats years later and wonder why she had a sophomore fall-off, having forgotten about what injuries did to the team. They’ll try to use it as evidence against the “sophomore leap.” But those of us who were there on St Crispin’s day will remember what was done in Storrs in those years!

Reaction Score
I watched the game in which Allison Feaster led the upset of Stanford in the first round of the tournament, and I'm not sure what I expected to see. Was Allison big and strong or quick and nimble, a beast on the boards or a perimeter shooter with a feathery touch? She's all of these, and at 5'11" what you really see is another Gabbie Williams. A superb athlete who is capable of muscling up with anyone, outrunning anyone outshooting anyone. She knew how to carry her team without rubbing their noses in it. She led the NCAA in scoring this season with 28.2 pts/g.

I suspect Sarah will be a very slightly different player from her mom. She'll be the superb rebounder, maybe a slightly better shooter and passer, and the same hustle and humility.

Reaction Score
It is clearly ideal to not need them immediately, and bring them along slowly in most cases. Last year that plan got high-jacked by injuries and we had to play them. This year the roster suggests we can do that with the perimeter freshmen, Allie and Morgan, but upfront we pretty much need to start Sarah and Jana from the start. There are no healthy options that have performed at a high level (at least yet), although we could go small ball, and ultimately Aubrey gives us a top option at the 4 when she returns.
Sarah and Jana also haven't performed at a high level in college yet.

Reaction Score
I watched the game in which Allison Feaster led the upset of Stanford in the first round of the tournament, and I'm not sure what I expected to see. Was Allison big and strong or quick and nimble, a beast on the boards or a perimeter shooter with a feathery touch? She's all of these, and at 5'11" what you really see is another Gabbie Williams. A superb athlete who is capable of muscling up with anyone, outrunning anyone outshooting anyone. She knew how to carry her team without rubbing their noses in it. She led the NCAA in scoring this season with 28.2 pts/g.

I suspect Sarah will be a very slightly different player from her mom. She'll be the superb rebounder, maybe a slightly better shooter and passer, and the same hustle and humility.

I expect Sarah to at leats be an Honorable Mention All_Amercian this year.

And why shouldn’t she be in terms of expectation? We all saw what the frosh did last year between Juju, Hidalgo, and Booker. SO why can't Sarah? We've all seen many (though not all ofc) #1 recruits in our program perform very well their frosh year. We’ve all seen Sarah's head-to-head vs Edwards along with the 30th ranked 6'5 recruit in which both she was outstanding/better than both. And how many #1 recruits would have had a 5th year senior elite All-American to play alongside them in which the team needs scoring (they lose Edwards)?

Add these up - we should expect that she is going to be very, very, very good.

Reaction Score

And why shouldn’t she be in terms of expectation? We all saw what the frosh did last year between Juju, Hidalgo, and Booker. SO why can't Sarah? We've all seen many (though not all ofc) #1 recruits in our program perform very well their frosh year. We’ve all seen Sarah's head-to-head vs Edwards along with the 30th ranked 6'5 recruit in which both she was outstanding/better than both. And how many #1 recruits would have had a 5th year senior elite All-American to play alongside them in which the team needs scoring (they lose Edwards)?

This is exactly the same reason I expect great things from Morgan. She played against the top teams in the country this season and was superb. She doesn't fill the same obvious need for Geno as Sarah does, so her path to playing time will be a little narrower. But she will get there, if not this season, then the next.

Reaction Score

Somebody has said this before, but Sarah is the best player in the class undoubtedly, only Joyce comes close to her in talent, and Sarah still edges her out.

Think about it. She's a top tier rebounder, and the way she positions herself in the paint only helps her out. She can easily push anyone out of the way down there, even if they're bigger than her. She's aggressive under the basket, and wants the put-back or the lay in. She can stretch the floor and isn't limited to just 4-5 feet around the basket, kinda how like Dorka was, although she is much more of a perimeter threat, which forces the defense to expand and not crowd in the paint. This gives a lane for fast guards like KK and Chen to drive into and score easily. This wasn't possible with AE for a while because her shot didn't become consistent until this year and even so it was still a bit rocky.

Worth noting that against Joyce/with Joyce both in HS matchups and in the MCDAAG, she out rebounded her. 17-9 in HS, 10-3 in the MCDAAG. Both post players, but one is much better at positioning and aggression for the ball. Against SC this season, with Sarah, I doubt the rebounding margin will be a major problem for us.

Provided she plays confident and adjusts well like Juju and Hidalgo, and gets stats like 20 PTS/9REB a game, I say she could make Second Team AA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is exactly the same reason I expect great things from Morgan. She played against the top teams in the country this season and was superb. She doesn't fill the same obvious need for Geno as Sarah does, so her path to playing time will be a little narrower. But she will get there, if not this season, then the next.
I feel Morgan will see a lot of time off the bench because she can sub in for anyone but the center. She's a slasher, rebounder, facilitator, and can shoot from the arc or the midrange. Her drive to the basket doesn't appear wild like KK's does at times, she seems very calm and collected on the court and rarely looks panicked, a sign of strong mentality. Her utility as a guard or a forward is especially rare for Geno, because as he stated, he hasn't had many 6'2 guards who can rebound in quite a while.

Out of the 4 rookies, I predict PT time wise, Sarah gets the most and a starting position eventually, Kaitlyn earns a start spot from the get go, Morgan sees 15-20 minutes every night, and Allie sees 10-15.

Reaction Score
Kaitlyn earns a start spot from the get go...
I don't think so, if by "the get go" you mean the first few games in November-December. But I won't be surprised if she ends up as the starting PG eventually.

Reaction Score
Somebody has said this before, but Sarah is the best player in the class undoubtedly, only Joyce comes close to her in talent, and Sarah still edges her out.

Think about it. She's a top tier rebounder, and the way she positions herself in the paint only helps her out. She can easily push anyone out of the way down there, even if they're bigger than her. She's aggressive under the basket, and wants the put-back or the lay in. She can stretch the floor and isn't limited to just 4-5 feet around the basket, kinda how like Dorka was, although she is much more of a perimeter threat, which forces the defense to expand and not crowd in the paint. This gives a lane for fast guards like KK and Chen to drive into and score easily. This wasn't possible with AE for a while because her shot didn't become consistent until this year and even so it was still a bit rocky.

Worth noting that against Joyce/with Joyce both in HS matchups and in the MCDAAG, she out rebounded her. 17-9 in HS, 10-3 in the MCDAAG. Both post players, but one is much better at positioning and aggression for the ball. Against SC this season, with Sarah, I doubt the rebounding margin will be a major problem for us.

Provided she plays confident and adjusts well like Juju and Hidalgo, and gets stats like 20 PTS/9REB a game, I say she could make Second Team AA.
I love this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know about South Carolina - each game different etc circumstances different but I love this post.

Much much more than your take on "PB."

Great post!!!!

Reaction Score
I love this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know about South Carolina - each game different etc circumstances different but I love this post.

Much much more than your take on "PB."

Great post!!!!
Okay I admit I misworded it. I tried to clarify it in the thread.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There is a lot of great speculation in this thread. I have to wonder if Geno will not start some of his starters from this years FF team. These kids have chemistry and played well enough to make the FF. Edwards is gone which opens up a spot in the middle. Most likely that spot will be filled by someone with out alot of experience. Ice has a year under her belt. Jana is 6'5 and said to be very athletic. Those coming back from injury, well we dont know if theyre ready to start. The freshman have no experience and will need time. Sarah is a special talent and I would think she will be one of the first off the bench along with Chen. If healthy Azzi has to start. She's just to good not to. I know some of you are thinking we need rebounders and bigs under the basket and your right. JMO Geno will play those who are ready and those who show him they can execute and play within his system.

I believe Morgan and Allie will need time to learn to play within Genos system. They will get playtime and learn. Caroline Azzi Yanna and Jana are coming back from injuries. Are they ready to play and how many minutes can they give and be effective.

We know Ash KK Paige and Ice have experience. How much has Ash KK and Ice improved? We dont know. There are alot of pieces to the puzzle and nothing is a givin except Paige will start. If healthy and ready Azzi will start.

Geno is big on team chemistry continuity and playing together. KK Ash Paige and Ice have shown that. Now we have to see who is healthy, who is ready to play, and how they will fit into the missing pieces of the puzzle.

What Geno did to this team last year was really unbelievable. Now he has to fit the missing pieces of the puzzle in and work with everybody else to make fit in too

Reaction Score
There is a lot of great speculation in this thread. I have to wonder if Geno will not start some of his starters from this years FF team. These kids have chemistry and played well enough to make the FF. Edwards is gone which opens up a spot in the middle. Most likely that spot will be filled by someone with out alot of experience. Ice has a year under her belt. Jana is 6'5 and said to be very athletic. Those coming back from injury, well we dont know if theyre ready to start. The freshman have no experience and will need time. Sarah is a special talent and I would think she will be one of the first off the bench along with Chen. If healthy Azzi has to start. She's just to good not to. I know some of you are thinking we need rebounders and bigs under the basket and your right. JMO Geno will play those who are ready and those who show him they can execute and play within his system.

I believe Morgan and Allie will need time to learn to play within Genos system. They will get playtime and learn. Caroline Azzi Yanna and Jana are coming back from injuries. Are they ready to play and how many minutes can they give and be effective.

We know Ash KK Paige and Ice have experience. How much has Ash KK and Ice improved? We dont know. There are alot of pieces to the puzzle and nothing is a givin except Paige will start. If healthy and ready Azzi will start.

Geno is big on team chemistry continuity and playing together. KK Ash Paige and Ice have shown that. Now we have to see who is healthy, who is ready to play, and how they will fit into the missing pieces of the puzzle.

What Geno did to this team last year was really unbelievable. Now he has to fit the missing pieces of the puzzle in and work with everybody else to make fit in too
I am not in favor of starting Azzi at all until she shows one month maybe two she can be healthy. She has been hurt 4 of the past 5 years and the COVID year wasn't much of a season when she was healthy. I'd let her ease back in-- and if you start her - if she does need a game off you're affecting the starting lineup. I'd let her come off the bench to start the season.

And it's highly doubtful Geno is going to start Paige as the PF - so who else should start at the PF spot other than Sarah? UCONN started two freshmen last year. No reason why they can't start Sarah this year.

She is likely the best of all the post players – so I say start her. Plus I believe she will be fantastic from the get-go. :)

Reaction Score

The thing about Watkins and the other two is that their teams made them the focus of their offenses. Strong likely won't have 35 pt games and so the media hype won't be as intense. I do think she is at or above the level of the other three.

Reaction Score
Sarah and Jana also haven't performed at a high level in college yet.
As has been pointed out Jana has practiced with and played against some of the best WCBB players in the country for a little more than a full semester. UConn won't be a shock for Jana. The only thing missing for her is actual game time.

Sarah won't have the advantage that Jana has. Hopefully that's not a big deal.

Reaction Score
And it's highly doubtful Geno is going to start Paige as the PF - so who else should start at the PF spot other than Sarah? UCONN started two freshmen last year. No reason why they can't start Sarah this year.

She is likely the best of all the post players – so I say start her. Plus I believe she will be fantastic from the get-go. :)
Game 1, I think that Jana will start, she is the only real Center the team has.

As far as Power Forward it will be either Sarah, Ayanna or Ice. Which ever of those three that proves the most in practice coming into it will start Game 1.

He will have three guards starting, Paige and two others. Which two? Same as with the forward above; which of them is going to make it impossible not to start her!

From then, staying the Starter(s) in future games, we will have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
Game 1, I think that Jana will start, she is the only real Center the team has.

As far as Power Forward it will be either Sarah, Ayanna or Ice. Which ever of those three that proves the most in practice coming into it will start Game 1.

He will have three guards starting, Paige and two others. Which two? Same as with the forward above; which of them is going to make it impossible not to start her!

From then, staying the Starter(s) in future games, we will have to wait and see.
If Jana stats - great. But imo the team doesn't need to start a true center. IMO you need to play your best basketball players (ofc within reason). Height takes a backseat to this. So, if she beats out Brady-- great. And I have no idea what to expect from Ayanna.

And I just think Sarah has all the goods and is so perfect for the PF - I feel she is a lock to start (maybe not game 1 - sometimes Geno might play his coaching games for whateever valid short-term reason.). She appears to do everything so well - she is everything you look for in a natural PF that is also a probable efficient scorer and very good natural rebounder.

Reaction Score
If Jana stats - great. But imo the team doesn't need to start a true center. IMO you need to play your best basketball players (ofc within reason). Height takes a backseat to this. So, if she beats out Brady-- great. And I have no idea what to expect from Ayanna.

And I just think Sarah has all the goods and is so perfect for the PF - I feel she is a lock to start (maybe not game 1 - sometimes Geno might play his coaching games for whateever valid short-term reason.). She appears to do everything so well - she is everything you look for in a natural PF that is also a probable efficient scorer and very good natural rebounder.
I mean it depends on the team we play. If we’re playing a team like ND who has multiple tall forwards and centers, we need height in the starting lineup. Else we get cooked by Koval and Prospre right off the bat.

Reaction Score
I mean it depends on the team we play. If we’re playing a team like ND who has multiple tall forwards and centers, we need height in the starting lineup. Else we get cooked by Koval and Prospre right off the bat.
I had sent to the other poster but same applies. If Geno feels his team is too small against a certain opponent - fine but I meant overall. Because you don't start a certain specific lineup just to match up with one or two teams. Otherwise UCONN might not have ever for example played Paige at PF this past year.

Also, you made a point about Prosper? She is 6'2. She shot 35% last year from the floor. She is Sarah's height. Sarah is the #1 recruit and possibly same height so why the concern over Prosper?

As for the freshman Koval, you really think Ice has minimal shot to defend the younger Koval by two years?

Reaction Score
I had sent to the other poster but same applies. If Geno feels his team is too small against a certain opponent - fine but I meant overall. Because you don't start a certain specific lineup just to match up with one or two teams. Otherwise UCONN might not have ever for example played Paige at PF this past year.

Also, you made a point about Prosper? She is 6'2. She shot 35% last year from the floor. She is Sarah's height. Sarah is the #1 recruit and possibly same height so why the concern over Prosper?

As for the freshman Koval, you really think Ice has minimal shot to defend the younger Koval by two years?
Oh is she that short? Thought she was 6’4, maybe that’s Marshall? She moved though.

I didn’t mention Ice? Not sure why she’s getting brought up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we will see at least some (Notre Dame) games with Jana at center, Ice at PF, and Sarah at the small forward spot. They will be joined by Paige at PG and Azzi/Ash at SG! Everyone seems to have Sarah penciled in as the power forward and I do believe she will play minutes there but she is such a well rounded player that I think we will see her play a lot of minutes at the three. Think about this lineup! Morgan at the point, Paige at the two, Sarah at the three, Ice at the four and Jana at the five! That would be a pretty big team! Geno is gonna have (assuming a healthy roster) more options than he can shake a stick at!

Reaction Score
I think we will see at least some (Notre Dame) games with Jana at center, Ice at PF, and Sarah at the small forward spot. They will be joined by Paige at PG and Azzi/Ash at SG! Everyone seems to have Sarah penciled in as the power forward and I do believe she will play minutes there but she is such a well rounded player that I think we will see her play a lot of minutes at the three. Think about this lineup! Morgan at the point, Paige at the two, Sarah at the three, Ice at the four and Jana at the five! That would be a pretty big team! Geno is gonna have (assuming a healthy roster) more options than he can shake a stick at!
IMO here’s where every player is versatility wise:
PB: 1-3
KK-1
Chen-1 (maybe 2?)
Morgan: 1-4
Q: 2-3
Ice: 3-4
Jana: 4-5
Allie: 2-3
Ash: 2-3
Azzi: 2
Caroline: 2-3
Sarah: 2-4
Ayanna: 3-? Haven’t seen enough of her.

UCONN’s roster is full of people who can go basically anywhere. There’s a lot we could do with the lineups. I assume Sarah will definitely stay in the forward role, and occasionally stretch out to a SG type of player.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Don't overestimate Koval. She is big and slow. If she cooks UConn this season, then UConn's front court will be lacking the talent we think they have.

Reaction Score
Don't overestimate Koval. She is big and slow. If she cooks UConn this season, then UConn's front court will be lacking the talent we think they have.
Wasn’t she reported to be really agile or something because of her ballet training? Her footwork was supposed to be impressive.

She’s also a stretch big who can shoot a three, so we absolutely need height to defend her if she goes to the outside.

I was saying she’d only cook UCONN from the start if there’s no height in our starting lineup.
If Jana and Sarah are out there, good luck Koval.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom