Sarah Strong is a Husky! (Part 2) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sarah Strong is a Husky! (Part 2)

Reaction Score
Don't overestimate Koval. She is big and slow. If she cooks UConn this season, then UConn's front court will be lacking the talent we think they have.
Koval and Heckel got beat on their home court by Morgan and Woliczko of Mitty HS whose big was Woliczko at 6’2”. Koval and Heckel played well, but not well enough.

Reaction Score
I had sent to the other poster but same applies. If Geno feels his team is too small against a certain opponent - fine but I meant overall. Because you don't start a certain specific lineup just to match up with one or two teams. Otherwise UCONN might not have ever for example played Paige at PF this past year.

Also, you made a point about Prosper? She is 6'2. She shot 35% last year from the floor. She is Sarah's height. Sarah is the #1 recruit and possibly same height so why the concern over Prosper?

As for the freshman Koval, you really think Ice has minimal shot to defend the younger Koval by two years?

Cheli's HS teammate, Woliczka(sic), 6'3 and thinner than Brady, had a great game against Koval and LIL this past season in the post season tournament. Mitty had one 6'3 player and Cheli at 6'2 and beat Koval's team which had 3 McDAA's. Height is over-rated.
Why is it that I often read about the weaknesses of UConn recruits and how other teams' top recruits are flawless and ready to dominate? I suspect that if Koval had picked UConn I would be reading about how slow she moves and her lack of an outside shot. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Koval and Heckel got beat on their home court by Morgan and Woliczko of Mitty HS whose big was Woliczko at 6’2”. Koval and Heckel played well, but not well enough.
Woliczko is easily one of the most talented players in the nation right now though. Her aggressive play and vertical make up for the 2 inch height deficit on Koval.
Cheli's HS teammate, Woliczka(sic), 6'3 and thinner than Brady, had a great game against Koval and LIL this past season in the post season tournament. Mitty had one 6'3 player and Cheli at 6'2 and beat Koval's team which had 3 McDAA's. Height is over-rated.
Why is it that I often read about the weaknesses of UConn recruits and how other teams' top recruits are flawless and ready to dominate? I suspect that if Koval had picked UConn I would be reading about how slow she moves and her lack of an outside shot. :rolleyes:
not flawless, but Koval isn’t a bad player by any means.

Also she has a decent 3 point? Anyone saying she has no outside shot is just a casual watcher.

Reaction Score
Woliczko is easily one of the most talented players in the nation right now though. Her aggressive play and vertical make up for the 2 inch height deficit on Koval.
Never said otherwise. I was merely anticipating @Alydar's excellent remarks about many BYers' excessive fascination with height as the exclusive measure of great teams and players. Some of Geno's greatest teams had no one over 6'3", and other teams loaded with tall players didn't win NCs. More important than having a super-big at the 5 is having a bunch of strong kids at the 4 and 3. And even more important than that is having the self-discipline needed to play excellent team defense.

Reaction Score
Don't overestimate Koval. She is big and slow. If she cooks UConn this season, then UConn's front court will be lacking the talent we think they have.
Watching the McDonald’s game or scrimmage can’t remember but Koval was one of the few that stood out to me. She looked great to me. I hate Notre Dame as much as anyone and I can remember being disappointed that we didn’t recruit her or maybe she wasn’t interested. Either way, she looked like she will be a pain in our butts during her time in college. She looked better than good to me and her point guard going to USC wasn’t far behind. I fully expect both to be household names in college sooner rather than later.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Edwards is gone which opens up a spot in the middle.
@Tonyc, Also our power forward of a year ago has been moved to a different position. that opens up 2 slots on the starting team, but bumps at least one of the 2 sophomores into a non-starting role. People are sleeping on Ice. I understand the excitement of two uber-athletic newcomers can be exhilarating, but I find it hard to sleep on an ALL- Big East Tournament freshman headed into a sophomore bump. I feel (barring the I word) we will roll into January with a 4-headed monster in the front court augmented by the incredible Aubrey.

For my own diabolical reasoning, I hope neither Aubrey or KK Start. Just so I can see the faces of the opposition when they appear as a duo at the scorer's table.

Reaction Score
IMO here’s where every player is versatility wise:
PB: 1-3
KK-1
Chen-1 (maybe 2?)
Morgan: 1-4
Q: 2-3
Ice: 3-4
Jana: 4-5
Allie: 2-3
Ash: 2-3
Azzi: 2
Caroline: 2-3
Sarah: 2-4
Ayanna: 3-? Haven’t seen enough of her.

UCONN’s roster is full of people who can go basically anywhere. There’s a lot we could do with the lineups. I assume Sarah will definitely stay in the forward role, and occasionally stretch out to a SG type of player.
This is interesting and I agree with your comment about the versatility for this roster. I agree with quite a few but my version would have a few differences.

I think Paige has to be 1-4, because although the 4 is far from her best position, she still was one of the best 4's in the country last year out of necessity.

Chen I think is very much a 1/2 not a maybe 2, and brings a somewhat unique two point mid=range game to the guard position.

I might add the 4 for Q and Caroline. Q because her rebounding/shot blocking numbers are actually better than the much bigger Ice, even though she obviously doesn't have the bulk to bang with a post up 4. Caroline because she does have decent size for a 4 and can score inside not just from the perimeter. The 3 is her best spot though.

For Ice I would drop the 3 and add the 5. Might be too slow to defend the 3. She can play the 5 and will likely have to this year, but doesn't bring as much rebounding/shot blocking as you would like there.

You didn't mention Aubrey who is a 3/4, I think is better at the 4 and will likely play there more when she returns.

Overall a lot of possibilities, but because the talent is lopsided toward the perimeter positions, some players will probably be asked to play a bigger position than might be ideal for them, because we need more help there.

Reaction Score
This is interesting and I agree with your comment about the versatility for this roster. I agree with quite a few but my version would have a few differences.

I think Paige has to be 1-4, because although the 4 is far from her best position, she still was one of the best 4's in the country last year out of necessity.

Chen I think is very much a 1/2 not a maybe 2, and brings a somewhat unique two point mid=range game to the guard position.

I might add the 4 for Q and Caroline. Q because her rebounding/shot blocking numbers are actually better than the much bigger Ice, even though she obviously doesn't have the bulk to bang with a post up 4. Caroline because she does have decent size for a 4 and can score inside not just from the perimeter. The 3 is her best spot though.

For Ice I would drop the 3 and add the 5. Might be too slow to defend the 3. She can play the 5 and will likely have to this year, but doesn't bring as much rebounding/shot blocking as you would like there.

You didn't mention Aubrey who is a 3/4, I think is better at the 4 and will likely play there more when she returns.

Overall a lot of possibilities, but because the talent is lopsided toward the perimeter positions, some players will probably be asked to play a bigger position than might be ideal for them, because we need more help there.
Aubrey is a perfect fit for Sarah (every player is near a perfct fit for her). Aubrey can set picks and look to score or offensive rebound on one side then at the other guard the quicker 3/4 at the other end.

Reaction Score

I knew I forgot someone.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi as only a SG? I think she could play some 1 or 3 if needed. I’d like to see her win the National SG award, though.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Azzi as only a SG? I think she could play some 1 or 3 if needed. I’d like to see her win the National SG award, though.
I'd love to see that happen, but I'd settle for her getting through the year with her knees under her.

Reaction Score
We know from 2 years ago that she can play PG. She did it against Texas and NC St and Iowa and Duke. Technically, she shared the point with Nika. With Sonya Morris hounding her, she showed she can do it just fine. But what you mainly see in games like that, when Nika's there too, is what Geno gains by having Azzi play PG. It's a high energy position, and maybe you just don't want to use her up that way. The same is true of Paige. She can play PG and is really good at it. But she does a bunch of things she's really good at. Maybe if you have KK and Kaitlyn available, not to mention Azzi and Morgan, you let them cover the PG and let Paige do other Paige things. The SG and the Wing can initiate the offense, or make the brilliant pass just as well as the PG in Geno's scheme.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom