OT: - Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jazzy Davidson was all over the place the first few minutes.

This Mexico team is really bad but sure are involved physically.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sarah made a nice bounce to Heckel on fast break. She also hit another 3 from the top of the key. On offense, she moves instinctively to balance the floor.

Will the USA win by 100?

Reaction Score
We can debate what experienced is gained here, but they need a mercy rule. And a running clock. We looking like bullies without trying.

Reaction Score
As usual these AmeriCup tournaments are a waste of jet fuel. And playing full court, trapping man to man with a 65-70 point lead? Bush league by Moren. For what, prep for the next blowout?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Some obvious skills but i couldn’t watch much. Most pick up games are more interesting.

Reaction Score
We can debate what experienced is gained here, but they need a mercy rule. And a running clock. We looking like bullies without trying.

I was on a team that lost 114-23. We realized it was going to be a bloodbath before the game. The other team seemed to really enjoy playing against us. They never looked bored to me. :)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Strong: 8 points (3-7 FG, 2-6 3-PT), 10 rebs, 3 assists, 2 steals in 16 min

Jasmine Davidson flashed her potential #1 ability:

14 points (5-5 FG, 2-2 3-PT), 7 assists, 4 steals, 2 blocks

UConn offeree ZaKiyah Johson has quietly been really good too:

10 points, 2-3 3-PT, 3 assists, 2 blocks

Reaction Score
Sarah with a driving layup.

Heckel would easily win MVP through 3 games.

Davidson buried a three and had an excellent first half.

63-13
I see Kayleigh Heckel as you do: she is getting the MVP " job done". She appears to
be the primary P.G whenever she in on the floor (starters or 'rotation' players). Kayleigh (a
future USC Trojan) plays with good energy.
One Mexican highlight, for me, was a Mexican player going
out of her way to help a USA get up... Nice sportsmanship!
Rest day tomorrow. The schedule "deck" will be reshuffled for
the Quarterfinals on Thursday. I believe that the USA will play
the lowest rated team from the other pool. All times are TBA.
My quess is that the USA will be playing the Dominican
Republic. The Margin of Victory spread plays into this reseeding
process so we won't know until the end of all of today's games. My
guess for the USA in the Semi-finals is Columbia with Maria Moscarella , P.G. 5' 11",
being their leader. Shall we have Boneyarder "pick the score" / MOV contest for
the FINALS on SUNDAY??

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Not saying don't participate. Saying be more selective. This tourney is a dud.
Most of the tournaments are a dud when it comes to USA Basketball. There are a few teams around the world that can give both the USA Women's and Men's teams a run for their money. Be it the under 18 and below FIBA tournaments or even the Olympics. Since 1976 when the Olympics added Women's basketball they have a record of 9 Golds, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze, playing in 11 of the 12 Olympics, skipping the 1980 Olympics because of Russia's invasion of Afghanistan. They have also won 9 of the last 12 World Cups. If players want to be on these teams they need to play FIBA basketball because the rules and play are different from the basketball played in the US, including the basketball itself. When Geno was the Women's coach he held camps throughout the year and if you didn't make an effort to be there, you might just not make the team.

Reaction Score
I have been impressed with Johnson so far; tough physical guard who can knock down the three when she has the time and space. I think her and Somfai would round out the 2025 class well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Starting to wonder if Geno told the US team to cap Strong's minutes. She's played the 4th fewest so far and 2 of the 3 behind her have been the last into games.

He told the press that he was quite happy when they informed him she only played 14 minutes the first game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom