OT: - Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Davidson's outside shot and handle under pressure are probably her biggest weaknesses. She works on those she will be a terror. Has 13 points and 6 rebs.

Johnson had 9 points, 3 rebs, 2 assists, 2 steals, and a block.

Strong finished with 7 points (3-7 FG), 9 rebs, 4 assists in 15 minutes.

Reaction Score
Was she more of a forward/post player in the first half? I didn’t watch till the second, but I really didn’t see too much post play. A lot of the times she was running to the 3 point line. And all her shots were 3s.
She was more of a forward than post. Like you, I didn't see her in the post much. She was more on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
The second half of the game was ridiculous with the USA scoring 44 points to Puerto Rico's 2 points.
Yikes! I will have to watch that shortly. I am watching Brazil/Mexico now.

Reaction Score
There's no way if I'm a top prospect would I play in a tournament like this. I just don't see where any benefit outweighs the risk of injury or just basic wear and tear.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Strong is not only physically the best player on the floor but her BB IQ and court vision is so much more advanced that it's not close.
Spot on. While the level of basketball in this game was ugly at times, Sarah impressed me with her court awareness, touch passing and overall understanding of team defense. She also plays the game under control with an easy but effective pace. The kid’s gonna be a good one.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
There's no way if I'm a top prospect would I play in a tournament like this. I just don't see where any benefit outweighs the risk of injury or just basic wear and tear.
These young ladies play because they hope to get FIBA experience so that they may be part of USA Basketball and hopefully down the road be on the National Olympic team.

Reaction Score
These young ladies play because they hope to get FIBA experience so that they may be part of USA Basketball and hopefully down the road be on the National Olympic team.
Is it a requirement?

Reaction Score
I completely share this sentiment. But it’s not one that occurred to many people before the recent spate of injuries. When Paige and Azzi played in high school, it just wasn’t a widely held concern.

Reaction Score
I would go if I were them. Back at that time my age - get a chance to travel to a foreign country - away from home. And probably several players on the team I am friends with. And in practices I'm going head-to-head vs them. And as others point out- if you are member it may help down the road for other opportunities.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Is it a requirement?
It could be a deciding factor if the committee is choosing between two similar players. International ball has slightly different rules and some of the players might be the same.

Reaction Score
Swipe..

If this was a high school game, the coach would be in trouble for "running" up the score. PR was just overmatched in every phase of the game. Mexico will face the same problem.

Reaction Score
Puerto Rico beat Mexico by 5 points yesterday, while Brazil beat Mexico today by 10 points. I would guess that the USA should beat Mexico by at least 65 points tomorrow.
I agree. If USA does not beat Mexico by at least 60 points. We can blame fatigue.

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong
  • Minutes: 14.3 (9th)
  • EFFscore: 18.5 (2nd)
  • Rebounds: 8.5 (2nd)
  • Assists: 2.5 (Tie 3rd)
  • Steals: 2.0 (Tie 1st)
  • Blocks: 1.0 (Tie 6th)
  • Turnovers: 0.5 (Tie 10th)
  • 2 Pt %: 50% (Tie 5th)
  • 3 Pt %: 40% (2nd)
  • FT %: 100% (1st)
  • FGA: 7.0 (8th)
Game 3: USA vs Mexico

Game 2: USA vs Puerto Rico: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Game 1: USA vs Brazil: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Reaction Score
Bricks? Every one was right on the rim and I'll take 43% (3-7) from 3 anytime. Bueckers shot 42% from 3 this past season. Was that a season long slump?
Seems pretty clear she is on some restrictions. Certainly minutes but also she may be being encouraged to avoid physical play as much as possible as well! We all know she tweaked her leg at the end of the season and she may not be fully recovered yet. Regardless, I see nothing to dampen my enthusiasm/expectations for her next four years! She is clearly a stud and I think we can look forward to her demonstrating that for a long time to come! I’m walking on air every time I see her play! What a player! She just seems to always be involved with the ball, her hands are like glue, her shot is beautiful, and she can match up physically with anyone! Everything seems effortless for her. I’ve seen that before in great players where they don’t seem to be putting out any extraordinary effort yet afterwards you realize she completely dominated the game!

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Strong hit a three a few second after coming into the game though you couldn't see it with this inane camera angle they've adopted.

She also has two TO's. One was a foul on the defender but they let all kinds of contact go in this kind of setting, and the other was an unnecessary bounce pass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom