OT: - Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Sarah Strong and FIBA U 18 Women's Americup 2024 games start Monday

Reaction Score
Sarah looked pretty good out there. I love her shooting stroke. The range. The footwork. Looking forward to the next match up for USA U18 and more of Sarah out there.
Was she more of a forward/post player in the first half? I didn’t watch till the second, but I really didn’t see too much post play. A lot of the times she was running to the 3 point line. And all her shots were 3s.

Reaction Score
Sarah dove on the floor for a loose ball and somehow made an outlet pass from a prone position.
The court awareness and quick decisions are obviously there. I noticed several times after getting a rebound she was quickly looking to get the ball up court, not just a short pass or hand off to a guard. She also has the ability, like Nika, to immediately push the ball ahead herself after getting a rebound.

I can't remember the last time we had a really good outlet passer, it seems to be a lost art, but I used to enjoy on the men's side players like Wes Unseld, Bill Walton, Dave Cowens, and Kevin Love who were all very good at it. Sarah also had a touch pass in that game, where you know where the next pass is going before you even receive the ball. That is a trait that good outlet passers have too. Unseld in particular was looking for a pass as he went up for a rebound, and frequently got rid of it before his feet cam down from the rebound.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just LOVE all these comments from Boneyarders on these games...especially to get a sense
of how Sarah is playing...even if her role and position at UConn may not correspond to her current
team. Keep 'em coming.

Go Sarah! Go USA!

Reaction Score
Gena might say to stay focused on the next game: today vs Puerto Rico, 1-0. But
not being Geno, I am going to "the tale of the tape (measure)", but in this case USA
vs Canada in a comparison of height. For Canada: Yeich 5' 11", Basco 5' 6",
Tumbe 6' 0", Leung 5' 9", Nwaobi 6' 1' (seven rebounds, 5 points), Bassetti 6' 1",
Henderson 5' 11", Sussex and Morgan = both no heights found, zero and two
points respectively. For the USA: a "brace" of towers: Betts 6' 4", Roberson 6'4",
and a quartet at 6' 2, Sarah, Edwards, M. Francis, L. Macy. Then we have Davidson and
Smith at 6'1" and rounding off the "6 foot and over" crew with 6'0" J. Lee. Heckel is 5' 9", Z. Johnson is 5 '11",
and Alivia Mc Gill is 5' 8". So, the tallest players for Canada (2) top off at 6'1". The USA has
six players taller, and two of the same height: 6'1". This should be the final/championship game
as the USA and Canada are in different pools/pods. If height matters .... then .... I just wait to see!
By the way, previously Shea Ralph was reported as one of H.C. Teri Moren's assistants. On the
courtside (and on the FIBA web page) I saw Niele Ivey, N.D., and Jose Ferandez, University of South
Florida. Maybe Coach Ralph was on the selection committee?

Reaction Score
The court awareness and quick decisions are obviously there. I noticed several times after getting a rebound she was quickly looking to get the ball up court, not just a short pass or hand off to a guard. She also has the ability, like Nika, to immediately push the ball ahead herself after getting a rebound.

I can't remember the last time we had a really good outlet passer, it seems to be a lost art, but I used to enjoy on the men's side players like Wes Unseld, Bill Walton, Dave Cowens, and Kevin Love who were all very good at it. Sarah also had a touch pass in that game, where you know where the next pass is going before you even receive the ball. That is a trait that good outlet passers have too. Unseld in particular was looking for a pass as he went up for a rebound, and frequently got rid of it before his feet cam down from the rebound.
Do you mean front court player doing outlet passes? I say that because Nika and Paige are pretty good at outlet passes to get the ball up the court.

Reaction Score
How the coaches are using her is testament to her skill. This team is front court heavy so Sarah having the ability to slide over to the 2 and some wing primarily perimeter work shows her versatility. This reminds me of Azzi when she was on one of these teams coming off an injury and mostly facilitated and played defense because that's what they needed. I remember that team having guards that just could score one on one but not really facilitate or play solid D. This is quintessential UConn players....

Reaction Score
Some additional information: Group A: COLUMBIA, ARGENTINA, CANADA, and DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
GROUP B: MEXICO, USA, BRAZIL, and PUERTO RICO
The USA U18 Roster:
Sienna Betts #2 6' 4" UCLA (2025)
JASMINE "JAZZY" DAVIDSON #3 6'1" Undeclared (2025) =Clackamas H.S. (OR)
Joyce Edwards # 3 6'2" South Carolina, (2024)
Madison Francis #23 6'2" Undeclared (2025) = Lancaster H.S (N.Y.)
Kayliyah Heckel #13 5' 9" USC California, (2024)
Zakiyah Johnson # 7 5 ' 11" Undeclared (2025 = Sacred Heart H.S (KY))
Jordan Lee # 9 6' 0" Texas, (2024)
Leah Macy # 14 6' 2" N.D. (2025)
Alivia McGill # 15 5' 8" Florida, (2024),
Adrianna Roberson # 17 6' 4" Duke (2024)
Kennedy Smith # 6 6' 1" USC, California, (2024)
Sarah Strong 6' 2", #1 UCONN (2024)
Head Coach: Teri Moren Assistant Coaches: Jose Fernandez and Ralph Shea

Reaction Score
Was she more of a forward/post player in the first half? I didn’t watch till the second, but I really didn’t see too much post play. A lot of the times she was running to the 3 point line. And all her shots were 3s.
This actually wasn't rocket science level strategy. Who would waste their best 3 point shooter by playing them in the low post?

Reaction Score
Well when the 3 point shooter misses/bricks four in a row it might be a good idea to put her somewhere where you know she can still make an impact while in a shooting slump.
This actually wasn't rocket science level strategy. Who would waste their best 3 point shooter by playing them in the low post?

Reaction Score
Well when the 3 point shooter misses/bricks four in a row it might be a good idea to put her somewhere where you know she can still make an impact while in a shooting slump.
Bricks? Every one was right on the rim and I'll take 43% (3-7) from 3 anytime. Bueckers shot 42% from 3 this past season. Was that a season long slump?

Reaction Score
She ran only to the perimeter on offensive plays. Barely stayed in the paint besides going for rebounds. Not a single shot attempt from under the basket. Kept putting her at the perimeter despite her ability to make an impact underneath. The whole time she was a 2. Typically, she’s a 3-4 who occasionally stretches out. That’s why she’s out of position. Team USA had a plethora of forwards already though so using her as a 2 isn’t unexpected.

I started watching 2nd Half so maybe she was playing a forward in the first half. But the stats are showing she didn’t get one shot off under the basket.
Sarah’s play:
  • Playmaker, Sweet Shooter, One-Woman Safety, Versatile;
  • Team USA has a wealth of players 6’2 or taller — Edwards and Betts were the key posts for the starters while Sarah and Roberson were the key posts for the subs;
  • Sarah was the key playmaker during her minutes as Heckel was for the starters;
  • Her play during the final 3:14 of 1Q is emblematic of her versatility: defensive rebound to point-forward on the break, deflection, deflection, post-screener for Roberson layup, trailer 3, pass then flash to the wing, block on guard who beat a defender, tip on rebound, rebound, pass to wing 3 (miss), last second 3.
  • Her versatile play continued in 2Q with two attempted drive-and-dish, an inbounds play that resulted in a drive to the basket and 2 FTs, a battle for a loose ball, skying for a rebound, an attempted drive and a post-seal leading to a driving lane for a teammate.
  • In the 2nd half, Brazil decided to clog the paint and Sarah found herself more open from 3 (she went inside and out to nail her last 3); for the half, she played more like a rebounding safety valve 2; she made a deflection, a 3, a steal, a steal to an outlet pass, a block, a rebound, a steal, a deflection, a rebound to an outlet pass leading to a 3.
  • Sarah’s 4Q play includes a deflection, a dive for a loose ball leading to an outlet pass, a block, a deflection, a touch pass leading to a corner 3.
  • Sarah guards posts well without fouling and impacts several plays in many ways that don’t show up in stats.
  • As mentioned above, Sarah played the third less minutes while having the 2nd highest EFFscore.
Game 1: USA vs Brazil: Overview | Boxscore | PlayByPlay | ShotChart | GameStats | Photos | Videos | News |

Sarah Strong: Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |

USA Roster

Reaction Score
sarah struggling a lot offensively (0/4) but has 5 rebounds and 3 AST.

Cut to a few minutes later, she’s 2/6 from the floor, 7 REB, 4 AST. She currently has more assists than Team USA’s PG Kayleigh Heckel.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Strong buried a three to end the first half. She also has an offensive rebound and putback. She's made three terrific passes, one off an offensive board, one out of the midpost, and one in transition. She also made a quality entry post pass to Betts.

She really impacts the game even when not scoring.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Oh, and Heckel is a stud. Really like almost Husky Roberson too.

Think Davidson overhandles the ball a bit, but her ability to make plays is evident.

Leah Macy looks out of place here.

Reaction Score
Oh, and Heckel is a stud. Really like almost Husky Roberson too.

Think Davidson overhandles the ball a bit, but her ability to make plays is evident.

Leah Macy looks out of place here.
Haeckel looks like a young Jack Sheldon. Similar energy.

As for Macy, she looks strong but not imaginative in the way she plays. Kids like Haeckel or Davidson are ready to try any daring thing. But Macy doesn't seem ready for that. Not on this stage. The nice way to put it is she lacks confidence. Niele is right there on the bench, so she should have plenty of opportunity to give her encouragement.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jazzy nails a smooth jumper off a screen to start the 2nd. Also made a nice jump pass to Betts on a two-on-one but Betts missed.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Heckel with a great pass to Davidson on the break for two.

Really like Davidson as a wing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ZaKiyah Johnson hit a three and a tough runner in the 3rd.

Strong with an offensive putback off a nice rebound. She did make a questionable bounce pass on the break when a simple one was the better option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom