Sanogo and Cole make all-Big East First Team, Hawkins all Frosh | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sanogo and Cole make all-Big East First Team, Hawkins all Frosh

Reaction Score
Hawkins? I mean I'm glad he is a Husky ... And will probably fill the shoes of the hype around him one day. But his freshman year was hardley even worth honorable mention... Really has been a big disappointment that we have to wait for his Sophomore leap...

This really is the boneyard in a nutshell, bitching about a UConn player getting honored because you think he didn’t deserve it. Do other fan bases do this stuff?

Reaction Score
This really is the boneyard in a nutshell, bitching about a UConn player getting honored because you think he didn’t deserve it. Do other fan bases do this stuff?
You can’t even pose questions about players’ performances here because you can’t see through your rose colored glasses? It’s completely reasonable to ask why a player who scored 5 points a game playing just 13 minutes is an all league freshman. This is not about whether we root for him or like him ( yes we do). He was expected by most here to be better than what he was projected at season beginning. It didn’t happen and he still landed on the all freshman team. Asking why he deserves it is not bitching. Those are your words.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
He’s a big game player as well. I think he’ll show out in the garden

We love to joke about [x] player going off because they’ve been disrespected in some way but Tyrese can legit do it and I’m here for it.

Reaction Score
Bynum as 6MOTY is horse dump. He's not a 6th man.

He played 76% of Providence's minutes during conference play. 3/4 of their team minutes by a "6th man"? He didn't have a single conference game where he played less than 25 minutes. He played OVER 40 MINUTES in a game... TWICE.

For perspective, 76% of minutes would be 3rd on UConn for minutes... and he's 3rd on Providence as well.

Reaction Score
Bynum as 6MOTY is horse dump. He's not a 6th man.

He played 76% of Providence's minutes during conference play. 3/4 of their team minutes by a "6th man"? He didn't have a single conference game where he played less than 25 minutes. He played OVER 40 MINUTES in a game... TWICE.

For perspective, 76% of minutes would be 3rd on UConn for minutes... and he's 3rd on Providence as well.
He doesn’t start though does he?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Really surprised that Sanogo didn't get most improved.

Consider that he was thought to only be worthy of BE preseason honorable mention... then got awarded BE 1st team.

Also, Sanogo is a finalist for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (center of the year) Award.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's just classic Boneyard to me that we are only school to place two guys on the All-BE First Team, and the reaction of many is to complain that Tyrese got robbed and Hawkins shouldn't have been honored.
You're not wrong, but neither are those offering the complaints and asking the questions...so I'll offer the hot take that those voting consulted the Boneyard for guidance and were swayed by the wild enthusiasm for the obvious pro potential that was seen in Hawkins's instant reveal of graceful lateral quickness, a similarly sweet stroke, and that monster dunk last week...while at the same time taking note that consensus here was late to develop around Martin, with some thinking that he only dominates the weaker competition.

Add to that, a 3-player max for UConn players, especially with 2 placed on the 6-person First Team, and it's easy to see that Hawkins bumped Martin.

We're to blame.

Reaction Score
Really surprised that Sanogo didn't get most improved.

Consider that he was thought to only be worthy of BE preseason honorable mention... then got awarded BE 1st team.

Also, Sanogo is a finalist for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (center of the year) Award.
To be fair, Lewis was also BE 1st team, and he wasn't even an honorable mention pre-season. Came out of nowhere. His scoring average was +9 points from last year (+8 for Sanogo).

I think most years Sanogo would have won, but there just happened to be a better candidate this year.

Reaction Score
You can’t even pose questions about players’ performances here because you can’t see through your rose colored glasses? It’s completely reasonable to ask why a player who scored 5 points a game playing just 13 minutes is an all league freshman. This is not about whether we root for him or like him ( yes we do). He was expected by most here to be better than what he was projected at season beginning. It didn’t happen and he still landed on the all freshman team. Asking why he deserves it is not bitching. Those are your words.

I don't think anyone who has spent more than 5 seconds on this board would think that posing "questions about players' performances" is off limits. It's the majority of the content here.

What I find to be peak UConn fanbase is that it's done in the context of players being recognized for their seasons. Like the Boneyard needs to prove wrong the (smarter, more qualified) people who have elected to honor these kids. But listen, I honestly don't care enough about your take on this to get in some kind of back and forth.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To be fair, Lewis was also BE 1st team, and he wasn't even an honorable mention pre-season. Came out of nowhere. His scoring average was +9 points from last year (+8 for Sanogo).

I think most years Sanogo would have won, but there just happened to be a better candidate this year.
Agree. And Sanogo being honorable mention was nothing more than a poke in the eye to UConn. He should have been on the preseason 1st team. He was, at most, a little better than we expected (mostly on defense). He was doing this stuff late last season.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t start though does he?
It is my opinion that who plays the 1st possession of a game is not the best way to determine who is the "6th man". I understand that people (and apparently voters) can disagree or be ignorant of the stats, but I think that if you play 3/4 of a team's minutes, you are a core player, not a 6th man.

There was not a single game this conference season where Bynum was not in the top 5 minutes played for Providence.

How is that a 6th man?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Agree. And Sanogo being honorable mention was nothing more than a poke in the eye to UConn. He should have been on the preseason 1st team. He was, at most, a little better than we expected (mostly on defense). He was doing this stuff late last season.
Yeah, anybody paying attention late last season expected sanogo to have a massive impact this year.

Reaction Score
It is my opinion that who plays the 1st possession of a game is not the best way to determine who is the "6th man". I understand that people (and apparently voters) can disagree or be ignorant of the stats, but I think that if you play 3/4 of a team's minutes, you are a core player, not a 6th man.

There was not a single game this conference season where Bynum was not in the top 5 minutes played for Providence.

How is that a 6th man?
I agree with you, but, to play devil's advocate, perhaps it is an unambiguous rule (at least in the minds of the voters) that anyone who is not a regular starter for his team is eligible for the 6MOY award. If that assumption is taken for granted, than Bynum is the obvious choice, no?

Reaction Score
Hawkins getting the recognition he is receiving for his season for as few minutes as he played per game. App 13 minutes.. Is an outstanding accomplishment for his freshman year. People who judged him know talent when they see it and his impact on games.

He will continue to reinforce this recognition with his post-season play this year in the tournaments... Count on it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with you, but, to play devil's advocate, perhaps it is an unambiguous rule (at least in the minds of the voters) that anyone who is not a regular starter for his team is eligible for the 6MOY award. If that assumption is taken for granted, than Bynum is the obvious choice, no?
I'm guessing the conference gives the voters free reign to interpret as they wish. If the voters interpret it as doesn't start a majority of games or whatever, then yes, Bynum is definitely the pick. But in my opinion, that interpretation is hella dumb.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom