Saniya Chong facing greater expectations | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong facing greater expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No disrespect, but if Saniya Chong ever starts reminding me of Kelly Faris I'm gonna hire a band and host a big party for all Boneyarders!
Sorry but I was referring to last season when Faris would get the ball in the three point area and look nervous. Wide open and miss more often than not- like a lot of big time NBA players. They make all these half court and trick shots but when the pressure is there they miss.

You're not confident about your long range shot? Drive and make something happen or get an easier shot/get fouled.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Saniya is thinking to much about her game, her shot and what she is suppose to do and when she doesn't live up to her own expectations she beats herself up. JMO Ive seen it with kids who are stars at one level and struggle at the next level. Did benching her after the Stanford game hurt her confidence. Im sure it did. It would for almost anybody. Saniya is a terrifc scorer and in the Stanford game I saw it in her eyes just like when she was in HS. Its easy to say but she just has to have a scorers mentality. Shes thinking pass the ball and cut here or cut there. All she has to do is think I need to score and do what she did in HS. If she fails she needs to keep doing it until she doesn't fail anymore. Success is failure turned inside out. Ive never seen or met a successful person who hasn't failed first. We as fans need to be patient and let Saniya figure it out.

Reaction Score
I agree confidence for a player is huge. I l also believe confidence for a team is huge - develop cohesion/flow etc.

With that said do you think it was a blunder last year by Geno with how he handled Banks and Chong vs. how the team did? Which was more important or were they equally important? Is this different than last year? If you need a bench then you think it means Geno blundered but lucked out last year?

And is it acceptable at all to play your 7th best player 6 minutes for any game (i.e. a coach should never do it?)?

A very good set of questions. And ones that I must respond to with my own set of questions. Do you think that the team could have been just as successful last season with Chong , Banks, and don't forget Stokes, getting more minutes? And would those extra minutes have brought more progress for them? And would Banks have stayed around if she had gotten more minutes?
I must go ahead and give you my thoughts on those questions. I think that Banks and Chong could have been given some more important minutes last year with no appreciable effect on the team results. And those minutes could very well have been beneficial to them. Brianna Banks worked so very hard after her injury and really played well at times last year, but I think was not rewarded with the minuutes she deserved. And I think that's why she left. Personally , I think that was a blunder by the coaching staff. If any luck was involved in last year's success, it was that the team did not suffer any injuries during the tournament, nor did they lose players due to fouling out. Obviously, those are the situations where you need players coming off the bench who have had some good minutes during the second half of the season, especially against better opponents. I don't think that Banks, Chong, or Stokes, got the minutes the team needed them to have in case catastrophe struck. And I also think that the lack of minutes hurt their progress. I hope that the same thing doesn't happen this year, with Chong, Williams, and Ekmark. For the same reasons, those 3 need to be getting minutes, especially against better teams. And I would get them those minutes even though it might mean closer games, or, perish the thought, losing a game. I don't have a big problem with them possibly losing a regular season game now and then.
It just seems common sense to me for coaches to imagine the possibility of disaster striking, say Moriah or Morgan going down with injury, or Nurse fouling out again. I just have not been able to understand over the last few years why being ready for these things doesn't seem to be a priority for this coaching staff.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It makes no sense to put a bench player like Chong or Banks into a game (whether the game is competitive or not) if she is not going to play the way she was taught in practice and that follows the team's game plan.

I am not talking about physical errors -- missed shots or bad passes. Those are totally forgivable. I'm talking about not playing help defense the way you were coached, not feeding the post when that play is open, or passing up shots that you were coached to take.

If you show in 6 minutes that you are going to make those kinds of mistakes, then you belong back on the bench (apart from garbage time) until you show that you can and will play as you were taught.

Self-confidence is important, but it has to be based on doing the right things, or at least attempting to. If you confidently do the wrong things when you are put in the game, what good is that?

Reaction Score
Not true.
I'm pretty sure Saniya has blocked a few three point attempts the last few games. Not bad for poor defense. I think her problem is confidence.
I do believe her benching after the Stanford game was not fair, but I'd never argue Geno's judgement. He's with the team every day and he knows what's best. However, Morgan and KML were terrible on defense against Stanford. The whole
team was terrible on D, including Stewie and Stokes. So to signal out one to me was unfair. Just my opinion.
Nurse is more of a presence on the court. She plays with more confidence and toughness. I think that's what Geno is trying to get from Chong.

Reaction Score
Saniya looks to me to have very little confidence in her game. And it's another shot to her confidence to not be trusted at all in the second half of the St. Johns game. For the last 12+ minutes of that game Uconn led by no fewer than 14 points. I know I'm in the minority here when I say that I don't think Auriemma gets the confidence thing with certain players. If he doesn't trust the player, even in comfortable situations like Sunday, then hard to imagine that the player will trust herself. Players have to play thru things at times, play and play and play. He may lose her as a player, if he hasn't already.

To me, if Saniya doesn't get better, it will not be because Geno "lost" her. It will be because she will not perform better than Geno's other options. His objective is to win as many games as he can by teaching players to be the best they can be. Most respond very well to his approach but not every player has it in them to break through their personal (mental) barrier. But the best chance for any player to become the best they can is to take personal responsibility for their development. Remember Gabby's comment after the Stanford game? She didn't play a single minute and her family was in attendance yet she took complete responsibility for not being put in the game. Many times the difference in two athletes can be their mental approach. How do they handle errors or misplays or lack of playing time.

As one D! hockey coach said about one of his star players, "he has no conscious", meaning he instantly forgot about a mistake and focused on the next play.

Reaction Score
A very good set of questions. And ones that I must respond to with my own set of questions. Do you think that the team could have been just as successful last season with Chong , Banks, and don't forget Stokes, getting more minutes? And would those extra minutes have brought more progress for them? And would Banks have stayed around if she had gotten more minutes?
I must go ahead and give you my thoughts on those questions. I think that Banks and Chong could have been given some more important minutes last year with no appreciable effect on the team results. And those minutes could very well have been beneficial to them. Brianna Banks worked so very hard after her injury and really played well at times last year, but I think was not rewarded with the minuutes she deserved. And I think that's why she left. Personally , I think that was a blunder by the coaching staff. If any luck was involved in last year's success, it was that the team did not suffer any injuries during the tournament, nor did they lose players due to fouling out. Obviously, those are the situations where you need players coming off the bench who have had some good minutes during the second half of the season, especially against better opponents. I don't think that Banks, Chong, or Stokes, got the minutes the team needed them to have in case catastrophe struck. And I also think that the lack of minutes hurt their progress. I hope that the same thing doesn't happen this year, with Chong, Williams, and Ekmark. For the same reasons, those 3 need to be getting minutes, especially against better teams. And I would get them those minutes even though it might mean closer games, or, perish the thought, losing a game. I don't have a big problem with them possibly losing a regular season game now and then.
It just seems common sense to me for coaches to imagine the possibility of disaster striking, say Moriah or Morgan going down with injury, or Nurse fouling out again. I just have not been able to understand over the last few years why being ready for these things doesn't seem to be a priority for this coaching staff.

This reminds me the a famous quote ' The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Saniya has blocked a few three point attempts the last few games. Not bad for poor defense. I think her problem is confidence.
I do believe her benching after the Stanford game was not fair, but I'd never argue Geno's judgement. He's with the team every day and he knows what's best. However, Morgan and KML were terrible on defense against Stanford. The whole
team was terrible on D, including Stewie and Stokes. So to signal out one to me was unfair. Just my opinion.
Nurse is more of a presence on the court. She plays with more confidence and toughness. I think that's what Geno is trying to get from Chong.
The entire team has stepped up their interior defense since the Stanford game. That stuff will not happen if Stanford is fortunate enough for a rematch in the NCAA's.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Reminds me of something I once heard one Husky parent say to another; "Sue is always thinking two plays ahead. Diana doesn't think at all; she doesn't have to."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saniya seems to still be struggling. I hope she can work her way through it.

Reaction Score
A very good set of questions. And ones that I must respond to with my own set of questions.

Thank you. Don’t take offense to my answers. I enjoy these fun discussions.

Do you think that the team could have been just as successful last season with Chong , Banks, and don't forget Stokes, getting more minutes?

What do you define as “just as successful?” Our definitions might be different.

And would those extra minutes have brought more progress for them?

Yes- but I have an opinion about that. I’ll share later.

And would Banks have stayed around if she had gotten more minutes?

I thought he could have played Banks more last year. Not Chong but Banks – yes. And while I am in no way certain – a little part of me believes Banks was probably disappointed and wanted PT. But I have no certainty or 90% probability etc. I’m just guessing. As for guessing here is what I think some of the greatest players in the world for their age may think- after your comments in bold.

I must go ahead and give you my thoughts on those questionsthe thought, losing a game. I don't have a big problem with them possibly losing a regular season game now and then.

Now I’ll share mine. The top players deserve the minutes they get too. If I were a top 5 wcbb player and you, the coach, don’t have a problem with losing a game because you benched me in order to give those minutes to an inferior bench player not playing as well me and it cost us the game, I’d think underneath my breath you are the biggest phony on the planet. As you have beat down on me for my career the importance of heart, effort and the importance of winning and here you go without the same, heart and effort I put out, and deliberately blow a game that I KNOW I could have helped us win. And I wanted to be out there and help my teammates (haven’t you always said “we’re in this together?”) and you denied me and especially all my teammates that- as you have told me all my career I AM responsible to get my teammates involved. I couldn’t share with my teammates what you have been trying to instill into me since I arrived and that is to always try your best. Yet did you do that coach in this game, coach? I bust my hump harder than the bench players, worked all my life to be among the best players in the world for my age, and you so casually don’t care if we lose this game? You didn’t give me and especially your team your best effort coach. I’ll always remember that.

Well suppose I was Bria Hartley- didn’t play well as a junior. My senior year YOU gave more minutes to Banks and Chong and we lost to Baylor. Now maybe I become a 2nd round pick. So I was a top ten player coming out of High School and one of the biggest games in my senior year – I really wanted to beat Sims- and you didn’t give me more than 25 minutes while I was clearly much better than Chong and Banks? Don’t you care coach that I didn’t give the pro scouts and the fans and most importantly my family as well as myself a chance to show what I can do?

Booton- I know a bench player can say similar things but it’s the superstars that fans want to see and it’s the superstars that win titles. Gradually word would get around that you as a coach are okay with such a great team benching the stars and okay if you lose a game or two despite far superior talent. As time goes on you can say goodbye to the top 5 player from High School (they are competitors among the best players in the world for their age. They won’t look at a coach like this as competitor. ), then the top ten, then the top 20. IMO your coaching style would be on a downward spiral yet the style you are criticizing from Geno keeps getting tremendous recruits.

I had fun with this- thanks. We just have different styles I suppose. I think your style is a bit detrimental to the top tier players while you think mine is awful for the bench. I think giving MoJeff big minutes has done wonders for her overall game. Which in turn helps gets kids like “TheRealDanger” who love MoJeff’s style and maybe sees herself playing super like MoJeff but in her own special way. And I think Stokes has grown tremendously at UCONN despite getting 20 minutes. If we put minutes on a pedestal that you want to do, why aren’t there so many more senior players that have played more minuets better than Stokes?

Reaction Score
She's struggling and looks totally deflated. One of the best NY STATE HS players of all time reduced to rubble by a HALL OF FAME COACH! [mod edit]
Hall of fame coaches should know who their recruiting. His latest attacks wishing that his bench was somewhere else and that you can't teach some of the guards anything points to him wanting her to leave.
What is with the anaylist on SNY... she spends every second Chong is in the game ripping her. Her comment during the Tulsa game basically stating that Chong doesn't fit at UCONN was so unprofessional and mean spirited.
Saniya is a good person that has been through a lot in her young life. I hope this can work out for her!

Last edited by a moderator:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
She's struggling and looks totally deflated. One of the best NY STATE HS players of all time reduced to rubble by a HALL OF FAME COACH!
[mod edit] Hall of fame coaches should know who their recruiting. His latest attacks wishing that his bench was somewhere else and that you can't teach some of the guards anything points to him wanting her to leave.
What is with the anaylist on SNY... she spends every second Chong is in the game ripping her. Her comment during the Tulsa game basically stating that Chong doesn't fit at UCONN was so unprofessional and mean spirited.
Saniya is a good person that has been through a lot in her young life. I hope this can work out for her!
Reduced to rubble? She was a starter at the beginning of the year!! She had every opportunity to shine, but her defense will always hold her back. It's frankly terrible. If she's hitting shots she might be able to compensate, but she hasn't been doing that lately either. Nurse has clearly outplayed her, and the team looks much better with her in the starting lineup. It's a competitive sport, and to get minutes at UConn you have to play defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
She's struggling and looks totally deflated. One of the best NY STATE HS players of all time reduced to rubble by a HALL OF FAME COACH! [mod edit]
Hall of fame coaches should know who their recruiting. His latest attacks wishing that his bench was somewhere else and that you can't teach some of the guards anything points to him wanting her to leave.

I continue to have more than hope for her. You should too.

Hang in there Saniya.

Reaction Score

I am sure Saniya is a good person as well but right now she is not a very good basketball player!!! IMHO Coach Auriemma has given her every chance in the world to succeed. Frankly you referring to him wanting her to leave because of a comment he made is SO OFF BASE from reality that it is laughable!

Reaction Score
Right now the gme is too fast fo her and she has a very diffcult time slowing the game down in her mind. I was right behind the bench last night and Geno asked Shea, "What the hell is she doing"?.........Eric hit the nail on the head in his earlier post.........#1 Get the ball out of her hands at the point and let her do her thing with cuts, screens, and take open 3's
The game needs to slow down in her mind, then she will be able to be herself.........She is an excellent player........

Reaction Score

I appreciate candid comments from analysts since they know the game better than I do. I believe her comments were about Saniya's basketball skills, not her as a person. There are many "good persons" playing D3 basketball for instance. Regarding recruiting skills, I suppose Geno should be able to project exactly what a high school player will develop into and never recruit a player who may turn into a role player for him.

Of course, when he recruits only players who will be starts and then doesn't have enough minutes to go around, he will be criticized for some players transferring because of lack of PT. Oh and if any injuries occur , I sure hope he knew that or else he will be criticized .

A simple question comes to mind when I read quotes like the above... is the player ever responsible for their own development or lack thereof?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Reduced to rubble? LOL! Geno's tried the carrot approach to start by talking her up and starting her early on. That didn't work so he's on to Plan B.

Reaction Score
Reduced to rubble? LOL! Geno's tried the carrot approach to start by talking her up and starting her early on. That didn't work so he's on to Plan B.

Brilliant! It's a shame that some posters can't recognize that Geno might have a strategy that he believes will help one of his players develop but realizing that unlike in the BY, in real life players don't always succeed. Reference all the criticism he has received over the past few seasons for Stokes lack of offensive development... play her more, spend more time with her at practice, don't yank her if she makes a mistake, etc, etc, etc.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I appreciate candid comments from analysts since they know the game better than I do. I believe her comments were about Saniya's basketball skills, not her as a person. There are many "good persons" playing D3 basketball for instance. Regarding recruiting skills, I suppose Geno should be able to project exactly what a high school player will develop into and never recruit a player who may turn into a role player for him.

Of course, when he recruits only players who will be starts and then doesn't have enough minutes to go around, he will be criticized for some players transferring because of lack of PT. Oh and if any injuries occur , I sure hope he knew that or else he will be criticized .

A simple question comes to mind when I read quotes like the above... is the player ever responsible for their own development or lack thereof?

Indeed, there are many excellent athletes that compete at the D III level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom