Saniya Chong facing greater expectations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong facing greater expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I also think there is to much negativity toward chong and that she did get thrown under the bus after that Stanford game. Nevertheless, I understand the message the coach was sending..."play better defense"

Chong did show that she could score against a top team. It seems her confidence took a bit of a hit after starting and then being replace the very next game. Were there other was to send the ( play better defense) message without pulling her so suddenly? Sure there was.

Some players don't always show their feelings & inward emotions & how sudden change effects them when their
roles are altered so suddenly. Sometimes those bottled up inward hidden emotions effect their game & confidence offensively. Anyone who's played the game as a teenager knows it far to well.

However, I pray she shakes all that has happen and cast that aside and regain that confidence. Because confidence breeds success & goes a long way in accomplishing exactly what the coach is attempting to convey to the player.

I know geno means well and wants the best out of his chong on both sides of the ball. But sometimes the penalties he imposes upon some players (who's nerves are week & can easily be wounded) can damage & bury their confidence.

But there is time. And I hope she gets it back because the team needs her contribution. She was focused offensively in that Stanford game. Time to regain that focus. Hopefully the straight to the point pep talk by geno resurrect her confidence.

Reaction Score
I also think there is to much negativity toward chong and that she did get thrown under the bus after that Stanford game. Nevertheless, I understand the message the coach was sending..."play better defense"

Chong did show that she could score against a top team. It seems her confidence took a bit of a hit after starting and then being replace the very next game. Were there other ways to send the ( play better defense) message without pulling her so suddenly? Sure there was.

Some players don't always show their feelings & inward emotions & how sudden change effects them when their
roles are altered so suddenly. Sometimes those bottled up inward hidden emotions effect their game & confidence offensively. Anyone who's played the game as a teenager knows it far to well.

However, I pray she shakes all that has happen and cast that aside and regain that confidence. Because confidence breeds success & goes a long way in accomplishing exactly what the coach is attempting to convey to the player.

I know geno means well and wants the best out of his players on both sides of the ball. But sometimes the penalties he imposes upon some players (who's nerves are week & can easily be wounded) can damage & bury their confidence.

But there is time. And I hope she gets it back because the team needs her contribution. She was focused offensively in that Stanford game. Time to regain that focus. Hopefully the straight to the point pep talk by geno resurrect her confidence.

Correcting some typo errors....I meant (were there other ways to get the message across) and (I know geno want the best out of his players). Not the best (out his chong)

Reaction Score
I know everybody loves Kia and for a freshman she has been really great, but ... in a few recent games people commented on how the team dropped off when Chong was brought off the bench, and what I saw instead was how the team struggled when Moriah left the floor. Kia has been a great addition to the team, but she is still learning the Uconn system and struggles when Jefferson is not there to lead. I think we are seeing a shift in substitution patterns and minutes as Moriah is getting more minutes and Kia fewer.
And I think Chong defensively has been playing pretty well actually. Uconn's defense is built on channeling offensive players into the help defense and not specifically on keeping them 'in front'. The problem with Chong right now seems to be a total loss in confidence on her shot. The clearest sign being her bricking two free throws - she doesn't shoot many but last year she was at .825 from the charity stripe. Her 3 point percentage is at .310 which is not in Morgan's .200 territory (and they have both shot about the same number) but it has been a while since she has made any.

Right now she reminds me of Kelly Faris all last season. She wasn't getting many minutes and a lot of the time she would only get open for three pointers which she would miss.

Reaction Score
Right now she reminds me of Kelly Faris all last season. She wasn't getting many minutes and a lot of the time she would only get open for three pointers which she would miss.
No disrespect, but if Saniya Chong ever starts reminding me of Kelly Faris I'm gonna hire a band and host a big party for all Boneyarders!

Reaction Score
Saniya looks to me to have very little confidence in her game. And it's another shot to her confidence to not be trusted at all in the second half of the St. Johns game. For the last 12+ minutes of that game Uconn led by no fewer than 14 points. I know I'm in the minority here when I say that I don't think Auriemma gets the confidence thing with certain players. If he doesn't trust the player, even in comfortable situations like Sunday, then hard to imagine that the player will trust herself. Players have to play thru things at times, play and play and play. He may lose her as a player, if he hasn't already.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In yesterday's game Chong was consistently beat off the dribble, was slow to switch on screens, switched off the wrong man on screens, and was slow to close out on the shooter. She is a terrible defensive player and that's what bugs me because defense is all heart and hustle. Just about anybody can be a good defender if they want it bad enough and obviously Chong doesn't want it. Offensively she had 1 good aggressive take that resulted in a foul being called and 2 missed foul shots. The rest of the game her offensive contributions like most of her games recently consisted of her standing around the 3 point line and passing the ball around the perimeter. There is no doubt in my mind that Chong is playing herself deeper and deeper onto the bench. I wouldn't be surprised if Ekmark became the first guard off the bench.

Not true.

Reaction Score
I Geno's comments are true reported, my question, were are her team leaders? Where i Stewie, Tuck KML?........

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not true.
I tend to agree, however Saniya was benched for not being a good defender - meaning she lost her starting spot to Nurse originally because of Saniya's defense. I agree that not everyone can be a good defender, but I do agree that everyone can put the effort in and give 100% and be the best defender they can be. Clearly a player like Stef would struggle stopping Moriah out beyond the arc so that's not my point.

Geno has said Saniya lacks focus. Several people have pointed out Saniya's penchant for dribbling the ball well beyond the arc, waiving her arm, and then picking up her dribble and making a pass that really accomplishes nothing. Then you compare it to Nurse who is constantly making something happen - whether it's driving to the basket and drawing a foul, drawing defenders to her to kick it out, or running a pick and roll so she can get a post player open. Saniya just doesn't seem to do any of that. Add to it her lack of focus and offensive output and she ultimately isn't accomplishing much when out there. I just don't notice her when she plays.

Reaction Score
Not true.

Really? Ask any coach in the country and they will tell you that Heart and Hustle are main components of playing good defense. I can give you countless quotes from HOF coaches stating that very fact.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree, however Saniya was benched for not being a good defender - meaning she lost her starting spot to Nurse originally because of Saniya's defense. I agree that not everyone can be a good defender, but I do agree that everyone can put the effort in and give 100% and be the best defender they can be. Clearly a player like Stef would struggle stopping Moriah out beyond the arc so that's not my point.

Geno has said Saniya lacks focus. Several people have pointed out Saniya's penchant for dribbling the ball well beyond the arc, waiving her arm, and then picking up her dribble and making a pass that really accomplishes nothing. Then you compare it to Nurse who is constantly making something happen - whether it's driving to the basket and drawing a foul, drawing defenders to her to kick it out, or running a pick and roll so she can get a post player open. Saniya just doesn't seem to do any of that. Add to it her lack of focus and offensive output and she ultimately isn't accomplishing much when out there. I just don't notice her when she plays.
Like I said before...her defense wasn't that bad. Their "Help" defense was lacking in that game. The coaching staff apparently hadn't prepared them for that.

Nurse is playing well though. Saniya will just have to adjust to coming off the bench (OK, OK again).

Reaction Score
Really? Ask any coach in the country and they will tell you that Heart and Hustle are main components of playing good defense. I can give you countless quotes from HOF coaches stating that very fact.
I agree. If they really want to be a good defender they can be (as far as their physical limitations will let them). Saniya has quickness and speed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Saniya looks to me to have very little confidence in her game.I know I'm in the minority here when I say that I don't think Auriemma gets the confidence thing with certain players.
No sale. I just happened to watch that SNY All Access this weekend. Geno was effusive with his praise for Chong. Then the games start and she isn't getting it done. Geno's telling her what she needs to do. Do it or move on. "Confidence" is just an excuse.

Reaction Score
No sale. I just happened to watch that SNY All Access this weekend. Geno was effusive with his praise for Chong. Then the games start and she isn't getting it done. Geno's telling her what she needs to do. Do it or move on. "Confidence" is just an excuse.

Geno can be effusive all he wants, but until he gets her off the bench in situations like the second half Sunday, she will continue to question herself. She needed to play in that second half. You can't really think that "Confidence is just an excuse" .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Geno can be effusive all he wants, but until he gets her off the bench in situations like the second half Sunday, she will continue to question herself. She needed to play in that second half. You can't really think that "Confidence is just an excuse" .
She "needed" to play? That's not how it works. She needs to produce if she wants PT.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
She "needed" to play? That's not how it works. She needs to produce if she wants PT.
Well, that sounds like a Catch-22 if I ever heard one. BTW, Saniya had a great assist to Stewart for an easy layup in St. John's game.

Reaction Score
Saniya looks to me to have very little confidence in her game. And it's another shot to her confidence to not be trusted at all in the second half of the St. Johns game. For the last 12+ minutes of that game Uconn led by no fewer than 14 points. I know I'm in the minority here when I say that I don't think Auriemma gets the confidence thing with certain players. If he doesn't trust the player, even in comfortable situations like Sunday, then hard to imagine that the player will trust herself. Players have to play thru things at times, play and play and play. He may lose her as a player, if he hasn't already.

Nice post....Hit the Nail on the head. Thats just my point. Sometimes it isn't wise (to hammer) the player up side the head with yo yo effect. As every player dont respond the same.

I know geno is a smart coach. Though sometimes easily frustrated especially when he expects more from his sophomore players.

But don't shatter the confidence by displaying lack of confidence. As it wouldn't hurt at all exercising patients as it would without. Let them play through it sometime. And after a few games if the point hasn't been absorbed by the player then one knows to do. The same could be said about playing time in general.

If a little patients can be afforded to Stokes's (3) starts before she was pulled due to her lack of offense and some defense it can be afforded to chong as well. Stokes doesn't get rattled easily as we saw from the ND game and on.

Chong was pulled instantly based on lack of defense period. After scoring (20) points?

To keep from shattering her confidence offensively a little patients would not have hurt at all.

Hang in there Chong I am sure you will regain your form with better defensive play as well. The team can use good offense off the bench as well as defense.

Reaction Score
for some players that's exactly how it works. 6 minutes is not enough time for a player to get confidence back. of course, since you don't believe that there is such a thing as a player losing confidence, you wouldn't understand that.

Reaction Score
sawxfan is really Megan Cuhmo from SNY. Chong played excellent D against St Johns, it was Nurse who was getting beat all over the floor on D, she looked like a turnstile.
As for Saniya's game, this kid is playing scared, she has no confidence in her game and I do not think she is the type of kid who can have confidence beaten into her.
Geno stated he has told her he wants her to contribute, for some reason she is not responding, believe me she is not playing up to her potential, not playing her game.
Defensively she still has a few things to work on but offensively if she ever comes alive again with the ball she would make Nurse look like Slo-Mo.
[mod edit]
Someone said she is not Uconn good, please some of you folks need to get over yourselves.

This whole thing reminds me of a saying that reflects on the management style of many in business and in coaching : THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORAL IMPROVES!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

What you say here is true. It does, indeed take heart and hustle to play good defense. However, not everyone is equipped to be a good defender purely as a result of heart and hustle. Defense is not all heart and hustle as you stated. It also takes quickness, anticipation, speed, strength, communication, intelligence, insight, and a fair amount of ability. Let's face it, there are some defenders who are just overmatched against good offensive players. Name a player at any level who is going to stop Diana Taurasi when she has it going with mere heart and hustle? It is not happening.

Reaction Score
What you say here is true. It does, indeed take heart and hustle to play good defense. However, not everyone is equipped to be a good defender purely as a result of heart and hustle. Defense is not all heart and hustle as you stated. It also takes quickness, anticipation, speed, strength, communication, intelligence, insight, and a fair amount of ability. Let's face it, there are some defenders who are just overmatched against good offensive players. Name a player at any level who is going to stop Diana Taurasi when she has it going with mere heart and hustle? It is not happening.

Nice post. And lets not forget skills. in my days of playing BB and FB. My confidence didn't come overnight. All the tools were there. But once I relized that (enough said).

The one thing I took pride in was defense. I just loved taking out the other teams quickest player because I was bless with the speed & quickness to be able to accomplish just that.

The drive has to come from within. But the thing that enabled to play good on both sides of the ball after realizing the skills were there was confidence.

Nevertheless, that confidence had to climb a mountain at times. Because there were times confidence took a beaten by virtue of people telling me what I couldn't do or the coach having no cinfidence in me etc. But thank God for inner competitiveness and faith that refuse to swallow whatever it was they were negatively preaching. (With that said don't misunderstand me....I don't think for one geno is telling chong what she can't do, because he knows what she is capable of doing) And that is the seed he hopes to sow. The methods now thats another thing.

Chong will find that same confidence she had in high school. Give her time. Coach is good tearing down what needs to be destoyed and rebuilding that which would set in motion consistency.

There are too many good player around this kid. As she grow she will get it. Keep the drive within. Pay attention to detail. And continue to get better defensively. Defense builds confidence that causes offense to flow smoothly for some. (I did say for some). Especially those who possesses offensive skills.

Reaction Score
sawxfan is really Megan Cuhmo from SNY. Chong played excellent D against St Johns, it was Nurse who was getting beat all over the floor on D, she looked like a turnstile.
As for Saniya's game, this kid is playing scared, she has no confidence in her game and I do not think she is the type of kid who can have confidence beaten into her.
Geno stated he has told her he wants her to contribute, for some reason she is not responding, believe me she is not playing up to her potential, not playing her game.
Defensively she still has a few things to work on but offensively if she ever comes alive again with the ball she would make Nurse look like Slo-Mo.
If the rest of this season continues like the St Johns game I can only hope that she sees the light and gets the hell out of Storrs and transfers someplace where she can light it up and shine.
Someone said she is not Uconn good, please some of you folks need to get over yourselves.

This whole thing reminds me of a saying that reflects on the management style of many in business and in coaching : THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORAL IMPROVES!!!!!

Now you can all follow with your pompous comments.

What game were you watching?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
for some players that's exactly how it works. 6 minutes is not enough time for a player to get confidence back. of course, since you don't believe that there is such a thing as a player losing confidence, you wouldn't understand that.
It's not a confidence issue, it's a focus issue. A buy-in issue. I heard Geno tonight, something's going on there. Playing time needs to be earned, Geno's treating Chong like a basketball player. Sounds like you would rather he treat her like a girl.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's not a confidence issue, it's a focus issue. A buy-in issue. I heard Geno tonight, something's going on there. Playing time needs to be earned, Geno's treating Chong like a basketball player. Sounds like you would rather he treat her like a girl.

Yep. That's exactly what he said tonight. He also said he's going to get to the bottom of it and get her to the point where she is contributing.

Reaction Score

I agree confidence for a player is huge. I l also believe confidence for a team is huge - develop cohesion/flow etc.

With that said do you think it was a blunder last year by Geno with how he handled Banks and Chong vs. how the team did? Which was more important or were they equally important? Is this different than last year? If you need a bench then you think it means Geno blundered but lucked out last year?

And is it acceptable at all to play your 7th best player 6 minutes for any game (i.e. a coach should never do it?)?

Reaction Score
Geno himself said that "confidence" means a lot to shooters (he was talking about Stewart) in the interview after the game. I think he knows Saniya's confidence is down right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom