Miami O- 6th
Miami D- 99th
Zags O- 1st
Zags D- 73rd
Ark O- 55th
Ark D- 17th
Mary’s O- 44th
Mary’s D- 10th

SDSU are polar opposites of Miami and Gonzaga but profile similarly to Ark and St Mary’s, which beat SDSU this season 68-61.

I prefer playing these defensively oriented teams in low scoring games rather than getting into shootouts with elite offenses. All that scoring introduces more variability. If we can hold Miami and Gonzaga to season low point totals in the 50s then we can do the same to SDSU. We are also a “defense-first” team that happens to have an elite O. Similar to 2011, if we play to our identity one more time we should be able to manufacture enough points to win

Actually, more possessions and more shots LOWERS variability (compared to a team’s average stats.

Playing a slow, limited # of possessions game introduces more “small sample size” variability.

Be careful, this is a “Thickly Settled” Nerd zone

Reaction Score
San Diego State: 32-6
KenPom Rating: 14
NET ranking: 14

5-5 vs Q1 ; 6-1 vs Q2

Best Win
  • 3/24/23 71-64 over Alabama
    • Darrion Trammell: 21 points, 3-5 from 3, 2 stls
    • SDSU shot 35.3% from 3, Alabama was 3-27 from 3 (11.1%)

Worst Loss
  • 1/31/23 76-66 to Nevada
    • Three players from Nevada scored 18+
    • Only ⅓ of Nevada’s FGAs from 3, team was 20-33 from 2 and 20-23 from the line
    • Lamont Butler only played 20 minutes and fouled out.
    • Forced Nevada to only 6 finals

OFFENSE: 68th in efficiency
  • 76th in offensive rebounding rate
  • 109th in preventing turnovers
  • 112th in FTA/FGA rate
  • 156th with a 72.4 FT%
  • 164th with a 34.3 3p%, but just 33.8% of their FGAs are from 3 (285th)
  • 172nd in average length of possession (17.6 seconds)
  • 176th in A/FGM (50.5%)
  • 246th with a 48.8 2P%

DEFENSE: 4th in efficiency
  • Elite perimeter D:
    • 3rd in opp. 3P%: 28.1%
    • But their stout interior D forces teams to settle for threes (40.2% FGAs, 90th most)
  • 17th in length of average length of opponent possession (18.5 seconds)
  • 45th in block rate
    • Mensah: 9.8%, 14th in the nation
    • Arop: 4.6%, but not enough attempts to quality
    • LeDee: 2.6%, 475th in the nation
    • Johnson: 2.5%, 495th in the nation
  • 68th in defensive rebounding rate
  • 72nd in forcing ISO (just 46.3% of FGM from assists)
  • 101st in steal rate:
    • Butler: 3.5%, 79th in nation
    • Trammell: 2.8%, 251st in nation
    • Arop: 2.4%,
  • 140th in FTA prevention
    • But 314th in opp. FT% (74.5%)
  • 145th in opp. 2P% (49.3%)

Other metrics:
  • 21st in D1 experience (average 2.96 years)
  • 32nd in bench minutes (37.5%)
    • In comparison, UConn is 221st w/ 29.3%, lower than I expected
  • 39th in minutes continuity (61%)
  • 330th in 2-Foul Participation in first half (7.6%)

While Steve Fisher is a architect of the San Diego State program, Brian Dutcher, the associate head coach under Fisher, has admirably continued the program’s success post-Fisher, leading the Aztecs to four of the first five eligible seasons with Dutcher at the helm and their first Final Four and Championship Final in program history.

Similar to Dayton, arguably the program’s previous best chance to advance in the tournament was in 2020 when the Malachi Flynn led Aztecs went 30-2, but the canceled tournament snuffed out those dreams.

Continuing the tradition of Steve Fisher, for decades San Diego State has lived up their tradition as a hard-nosed, physical defensive squad that grinds their teams to a glacial pace: in fact, nine of their wins this season were with scoring totals in the 60s or less with a 45-43 win over Fresno State the best example of the Aztecs’ preferred style.

Part of what keeps the defensive energy high and sustained is that they have arguably the deepest team in the tournament: their nine rotation pieces average between 16-28 mpg, circumventing the perils of foul trouble, especially in the frontcourt where both power forwards and centers play almost interchangeably.

What has sustained San Diego State’s success is their ever-presence of veteran, reloading teams. Case in point, five of their rotation pieces are fifth-year seniors, four of which played for the Aztecs last season.

After fielding the 167th ranked offense last season and in obvious need of more scoring balance, Dutcher hit the transfer portal last offseason adding guard Darrion Trammell (17.3 ppg in his last season at Seattle) and wing Micah Parrish (12.1 ppg in his last season at Oakland). Of course, in typical San Diego State fashion, both additions also happened to be on all-defensive teams in their respective conferences, further strengthening the team’s defense.

View attachment 86483

When teams face San Diego State for the first time, the focus tends to start with fifth-year power guard Matt Bradley because 1) at 6’4 220, he’s a mismatch nightmare; 2) he is San Diego State’s best individual offense player. Starting each game at the 3, but then also shifting down to the 2 when Micah Parrish is on the bench, Bradley reminds me of one of my favorite recent players, Admiral Scofield, as in he can attack the offense in a variety of ways: through powering his way through the hoop, from deep and where he is most dangerous: as a triple-threat option at the elbow, akin to Miami’s Isaiah Wong, where he can facilitate and find the open man.

Rather than playing with a true on-ball point guard, Bradley shares the distribution duties with his backcourt mates Lamont Butler and Darion Trammell.

The hero from the semifinal matchup against FAU, Butler is arguably one of the best defensive combo guards in the country who on offense, like Arkansas’ Devo Davis, doesn’t wow in one particular aspect but can contribute in a variety of ways.

With no D1 offers out of high school, Trammell reminds me a bit of an undersized version of Gonzaga’s Malachi Smith in that in his former school, Seattle, he was the do-everything, bucket-getting guard but at SDSU has drastically lowered his usage rate and has fit into the team identity. While his counting stats look modest, the shifty combo guard is more than capable in breaking down the defense and creating his own offense. On defense, the pesty Trammell worms his way into his opponents without generating fouls.

While Bradley demands respect on offense, he is one of the few less efficient Aztecs on defense so if he’s on Jackson, I can see Jackson being one of the safer facilitators on offense while Hawkins and Newton will likely draw a combo of Trammell and Butler as their defenders.

The Aztecs’ two bench options in the backcourt are led by Oakland transfer Micah Parrish. An athletic and versatile defender who could guard one through four, Parrish one of San Diego State’s best perimeter scorers along with fifth-year guard Adam Seiko, who is San Diego State’s best perimeter shooter and worst defender.

Considering that Bradley and Seiko are the Aztecs’ two worst defenders, recent lineups show that they almost never share the floor together, an obvious strategic move by Dutcher to maximize defensive efficiency.

As the modern NCAA leans more to four- and five-out teams that focus on shooting, San Diego State’s frontcourt is a bit of a throwback in that none of the four pieces are perimeter threats. In fact, Mensah/Arop/LeDee combined this season for just six three point attempts.

The star of the frontcourt is fifth-year big Nathan Mensah, one of the most versatile defensive weapons in the NCAA. An elite shot-blocker with the strength and athleticism to defend out to the perimeter, Mensah is arguably the heart and soul of the Aztecs: his effort is endless. Unlike other bigs we’ve played against this tournament, Mensah is able to defend hard without getting into foul trouble. In fact, foul trouble is usually not an issue with the Aztecs, in general.

Mensah’s tag team mate is TCU via Ohio State fifth-year transfer Jason LeDee, who is San Diego State’s heaviest and most gifted offensive weapon in the frontcourt who possesses a variety of high and low-post moves and deft footwork. While not as gifted athletically and defensively as Mensah, he is a capable defender.

The power forward tag team features senior Keshad Johnson and fifth-year senior Aguek Arop, both 6’7 225 and both arguably the most athletically gifted and most defensively versatile players on the Aztecs, each with the true ability to defend every position. While Arop’s offense is mostly solely around the rim, Johnson possesses some willingness to stretch the floor, attempting 1.1 3PAs per game.

Simply put, defended by Johnson/Arop, Alex Karaban will be pestered every minute he is on the floor, but he has had plenty of experience this year against gifted defensive power forwards, most recently Iona’s Shema, Saint Mary’s Bowen and Arkansas’ Jordan Walsh.

Playing against defensively stout, grind-you-down teams that make it hard to take good shots make he think that both Calcaterra and Alleyne will be super valuable on Monday both in their ability to prevent turnovers and their shot-taking ability. Both combined for 39 minutes last night and I can see similar minutes Monday.

KenPom’s prediction: UConn wins 69 (nice)-64

It’s coming, the title game is here! This game is going to be a grind, you can’t deny UConn’s recent success against grind you down, molasses style teams: 87-69 over Providence, 71-59 over Villanova, 70-55 over Saint Mary’s…

Overall, I like how UConn has played a variety of teams in this tournament and have won in a variety of ways after scoring just 70 points against Saint Mary’s and 88 points against Arkansas.

Nothing left to do but enjoy the game on Monday.

Thank you for the Boneyard. I love you all.
Happy Nerd GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

Reaction Score
UConn just needs to make them work on both ends, especially when the Huskies are on defense. Don't have any turnovers that lead to easy baskets. Make them earn everything.

Also, I don't think teams realize how much work the Huskies do on the offensive end. There offense can wear a team down the way they are constantly moving away from the ball and setting screens. Also, Sanogo is a different beast if you are seing him for the first time. I remember during the Phil Knight tourney they announcers talking about how hard Sanogo works during practice and the bigs on the other team questioned why they were be pushed so hard in practice. Their coach showed them the tape of Sanogo practicing and saying because he does it the entire practice and the players didn't really believe it until they watched the tape.

Reaction Score
So they're good at wing and corner 3s and in the paint, and defending the entire 3-point line and sort of at the rim, except for the area right in front.

I gotta be honest, that chart on the left does not scream mediocre offensive team, though I suppose this chart is relative to all D-I.
Yeah and for all of D1 they are definitely well above average or even good. They're just not elite. Their rim area is light red/pink. Elite offenses tend to be strongly red in that area. And check their thickest spots. About half of their non-rim thickest spots are blue or dark blue, especially that top of the key 3. Elite offenses will generally only have small blue areas or at least no thick dark blue spots.

Reaction Score
UConn just needs to make them work on both ends, especially when the Huskies are on defense. Don't have any turnovers that lead to easy baskets. Make them earn everything.

Also, I don't think teams realize how much work the Huskies do on the offensive end. There offense can wear a team down the way they are constantly moving away from the ball and setting screens. Also, Sanogo is a different beast if you are seing him for the first time. I remember during the Phil Knight tourney they announcers talking about how hard Sanogo works during practice and the bigs on the other team questioned why they were be pushed so hard in practice. Their coach showed them the tape of Sanogo practicing and saying because he does it the entire practice and the players didn't really believe it until they watched the tape.
It’s good to have Sanogo.

Reaction Score
SDST bigs (4 of them - 2 in the game, 2 as backups) are at the core of the defensive engine. UConn needs to figure ways to slow them down and get them out on the perimeter where they will be less effective.

Reaction Score
SDST bigs (4 of them - 2 in the game, 2 as backups) are at the core of the defensive engine. UConn needs to figure ways to slow them down and get them out on the perimeter where they will be less effective.
Karaban will pull one away and I'll trust Sanogo to go 1 on 1 with any of them. Can only play 5 guys at a time.

Reaction Score
I feel like we are a matchup problem for SD. Especially in the backcourt. How on earth did they manage to beat Alabama? I think Bama was a Shade of themselves after the drama they underwent. Also Bama was overrated. What worries me is their maturity and tenacity. But even then I can't see how they score against us. Anyway who knows what tomorrow will bring. At the moment I'm happy and confident the players and coaches are as prepared as they can be and understand the rarity of the moment. I also bet our equipment staff now has an extra pair of shoes for every player on that team starting now! U believeable.

Reaction Score
I feel like we are a matchup problem for SD. Especially in the backcourt. How on earth did they manage to beat Alabama? I think Bama was a Shade of themselves after the drama they underwent. Also Bama was overrated. What worries me is their maturity and tenacity. But even then I can't see how they score against us. Anyway who knows what tomorrow will bring. At the moment I'm happy and confident the players and coaches are as prepared as they can be and understand the rarity of the moment. I also bet our equipment staff now has an extra pair of shoes for every player on that team starting now! Unbelieveable.

Reaction Score
San Diego State: 32-6
KenPom Rating: 14
NET ranking: 14

5-5 vs Q1 ; 6-1 vs Q2

Best Win
  • 3/24/23 71-64 over Alabama
    • Darrion Trammell: 21 points, 3-5 from 3, 2 stls
    • SDSU shot 35.3% from 3, Alabama was 3-27 from 3 (11.1%)

Worst Loss
  • 1/31/23 76-66 to Nevada
    • Three players from Nevada scored 18+
    • Only ⅓ of Nevada’s FGAs from 3, team was 20-33 from 2 and 20-23 from the line
    • Lamont Butler only played 20 minutes and fouled out.
    • Forced Nevada to only 6 finals

OFFENSE: 68th in efficiency
  • 76th in offensive rebounding rate
  • 109th in preventing turnovers
  • 112th in FTA/FGA rate
  • 156th with a 72.4 FT%
  • 164th with a 34.3 3p%, but just 33.8% of their FGAs are from 3 (285th)
  • 172nd in average length of possession (17.6 seconds)
  • 176th in A/FGM (50.5%)
  • 246th with a 48.8 2P%

DEFENSE: 4th in efficiency
  • Elite perimeter D:
    • 3rd in opp. 3P%: 28.1%
    • But their stout interior D forces teams to settle for threes (40.2% FGAs, 90th most)
  • 17th in length of average length of opponent possession (18.5 seconds)
  • 45th in block rate
    • Mensah: 9.8%, 14th in the nation
    • Arop: 4.6%, but not enough attempts to quality
    • LeDee: 2.6%, 475th in the nation
    • Johnson: 2.5%, 495th in the nation
  • 68th in defensive rebounding rate
  • 72nd in forcing ISO (just 46.3% of FGM from assists)
  • 101st in steal rate:
    • Butler: 3.5%, 79th in nation
    • Trammell: 2.8%, 251st in nation
    • Arop: 2.4%,
  • 140th in FTA prevention
    • But 314th in opp. FT% (74.5%)
  • 145th in opp. 2P% (49.3%)

Other metrics:
  • 21st in D1 experience (average 2.96 years)
  • 32nd in bench minutes (37.5%)
    • In comparison, UConn is 221st w/ 29.3%, lower than I expected
  • 39th in minutes continuity (61%)
  • 330th in 2-Foul Participation in first half (7.6%)

While Steve Fisher is a architect of the San Diego State program, Brian Dutcher, the associate head coach under Fisher, has admirably continued the program’s success post-Fisher, leading the Aztecs to four of the first five eligible seasons with Dutcher at the helm and their first Final Four and Championship Final in program history.

Similar to Dayton, arguably the program’s previous best chance to advance in the tournament was in 2020 when the Malachi Flynn led Aztecs went 30-2, but the canceled tournament snuffed out those dreams.

Continuing the tradition of Steve Fisher, for decades San Diego State has lived up their tradition as a hard-nosed, physical defensive squad that grinds their teams to a glacial pace: in fact, nine of their wins this season were with scoring totals in the 60s or less with a 45-43 win over Fresno State the best example of the Aztecs’ preferred style.

Part of what keeps the defensive energy high and sustained is that they have arguably the deepest team in the tournament: their nine rotation pieces average between 16-28 mpg, circumventing the perils of foul trouble, especially in the frontcourt where both power forwards and centers play almost interchangeably.

What has sustained San Diego State’s success is their ever-presence of veteran, reloading teams. Case in point, five of their rotation pieces are fifth-year seniors, four of which played for the Aztecs last season.

After fielding the 167th ranked offense last season and in obvious need of more scoring balance, Dutcher hit the transfer portal last offseason adding guard Darrion Trammell (17.3 ppg in his last season at Seattle) and wing Micah Parrish (12.1 ppg in his last season at Oakland). Of course, in typical San Diego State fashion, both additions also happened to be on all-defensive teams in their respective conferences, further strengthening the team’s defense.

View attachment 86483

When teams face San Diego State for the first time, the focus tends to start with fifth-year power guard Matt Bradley because 1) at 6’4 220, he’s a mismatch nightmare; 2) he is San Diego State’s best individual offense player. Starting each game at the 3, but then also shifting down to the 2 when Micah Parrish is on the bench, Bradley reminds me of one of my favorite recent players, Admiral Scofield, as in he can attack the offense in a variety of ways: through powering his way through the hoop, from deep and where he is most dangerous: as a triple-threat option at the elbow, akin to Miami’s Isaiah Wong, where he can facilitate and find the open man.

Rather than playing with a true on-ball point guard, Bradley shares the distribution duties with his backcourt mates Lamont Butler and Darion Trammell.

The hero from the semifinal matchup against FAU, Butler is arguably one of the best defensive combo guards in the country who on offense, like Arkansas’ Devo Davis, doesn’t wow in one particular aspect but can contribute in a variety of ways.

With no D1 offers out of high school, Trammell reminds me a bit of an undersized version of Gonzaga’s Malachi Smith in that in his former school, Seattle, he was the do-everything, bucket-getting guard but at SDSU has drastically lowered his usage rate and has fit into the team identity. While his counting stats look modest, the shifty combo guard is more than capable in breaking down the defense and creating his own offense. On defense, the pesty Trammell worms his way into his opponents without generating fouls.

While Bradley demands respect on offense, he is one of the few less efficient Aztecs on defense so if he’s on Jackson, I can see Jackson being one of the safer facilitators on offense while Hawkins and Newton will likely draw a combo of Trammell and Butler as their defenders.

The Aztecs’ two bench options in the backcourt are led by Oakland transfer Micah Parrish. An athletic and versatile defender who could guard one through four, Parrish one of San Diego State’s best perimeter scorers along with fifth-year guard Adam Seiko, who is San Diego State’s best perimeter shooter and worst defender.

Considering that Bradley and Seiko are the Aztecs’ two worst defenders, recent lineups show that they almost never share the floor together, an obvious strategic move by Dutcher to maximize defensive efficiency.

As the modern NCAA leans more to four- and five-out teams that focus on shooting, San Diego State’s frontcourt is a bit of a throwback in that none of the four pieces are perimeter threats. In fact, Mensah/Arop/LeDee combined this season for just six three point attempts.

The star of the frontcourt is fifth-year big Nathan Mensah, one of the most versatile defensive weapons in the NCAA. An elite shot-blocker with the strength and athleticism to defend out to the perimeter, Mensah is arguably the heart and soul of the Aztecs: his effort is endless. Unlike other bigs we’ve played against this tournament, Mensah is able to defend hard without getting into foul trouble. In fact, foul trouble is usually not an issue with the Aztecs, in general.

Mensah’s tag team mate is TCU via Ohio State fifth-year transfer Jason LeDee, who is San Diego State’s heaviest and most gifted offensive weapon in the frontcourt who possesses a variety of high and low-post moves and deft footwork. While not as gifted athletically and defensively as Mensah, he is a capable defender.

The power forward tag team features senior Keshad Johnson and fifth-year senior Aguek Arop, both 6’7 225 and both arguably the most athletically gifted and most defensively versatile players on the Aztecs, each with the true ability to defend every position. While Arop’s offense is mostly solely around the rim, Johnson possesses some willingness to stretch the floor, attempting 1.1 3PAs per game.

Simply put, defended by Johnson/Arop, Alex Karaban will be pestered every minute he is on the floor, but he has had plenty of experience this year against gifted defensive power forwards, most recently Iona’s Shema, Saint Mary’s Bowen and Arkansas’ Jordan Walsh.

Playing against defensively stout, grind-you-down teams that make it hard to take good shots make he think that both Calcaterra and Alleyne will be super valuable on Monday both in their ability to prevent turnovers and their shot-taking ability. Both combined for 39 minutes last night and I can see similar minutes Monday.

KenPom’s prediction: UConn wins 69 (nice)-64

It’s coming, the title game is here! This game is going to be a grind, you can’t deny UConn’s recent success against grind you down, molasses style teams: 87-69 over Providence, 71-59 over Villanova, 70-55 over Saint Mary’s…

Overall, I like how UConn has played a variety of teams in this tournament and have won in a variety of ways after scoring just 70 points against Saint Mary’s and 88 points against Arkansas.

Nothing left to do but enjoy the game on Monday.

Thank you for the Boneyard. I love you all.
SDSU reminds me of a slightly bigger and deeper Villanova but cant score like they do.

Reaction Score
Actually, more possessions and more shots LOWERS variability (compared to a team’s average stats.
Touché. So what did I mean to say? Defensive effort is more consistent than offensive production. As they say “defense travels” so it seems counterintuitive that results are more predictable based on offense than defense.

Id rather rely on our D than our scoring. Likewise I’d rather play a team like SDSU that’s lucky to score 75 than a team like Miami that can put up 95.

So What statistical concept captures the danger of a good offensive team getting hot on a given night even if there’s less variability overall?

Reaction Score
Hey Adrien a huge thank you for a tremendous job game in, game out with these scouting reports. The time to find and include so many details is amazing to me. Your a big part of our success this year I know this.

Last one’s a beauty I had dome questions on the Aztecs they’re pretty much all answered.

Thank you :D

Reaction Score
Come on. There is one reason and one explanation for why it is the way it is - it has ALWAYS been that way. That's it. There is no "data" that suggests Monday night is the right night. I virtually guarantee there is data that says otherwise. But this is how it has always been. The end. The fact that you think "nEtWoRk tV" is all knowing is hilarious. They're dinosaurs
Except it hasn’t. Before they expanded the tourney, and before Monday Night Football was invented, they played the national semis on Thursday night and the Finals on Saturday afternoon.

caw

Reaction Score

Playing a slow, limited # of possessions game introduces more “small sample size” variability.

Be careful, this is a “Thickly Settled” Nerd zone

I disagree with this assessment of the situation.

Sample size is small regardless of pace of a singular basketball game when talking shooting percentages and shot attempts.

Correct me if I am wrong but your talking about shooting percentages, no?

Then you are statistically speaking correct about percentages but that does not change what the poster said, necessarily.

Since we are talking pace and shooting percentages and shot attempts.

A slower paced, poor offensive team may have more variability to percentages game to game throughout the year due to smaller sample size during a game but that is only variability from their average. If their average shooting is 34% from three and a team only takes 10 threes a game (making 3.4 per game on average) then there is a wide variability statistically when looking at the percentages by making one, or two, extra shots. That is true. They go 5 of 10 instead of 3 of 10 and they are shooting twenty percent better against your team. Looks bad but it's only a six point difference.

However, a good offensive team who has a high pace and shoots 40% on the year from three has a lower variability if they are putting up 25 threes a game and making on average 10. Each three attempt is worth a lower percentage to the shooting percentage, especially if you look at the season average as their number of shots will stack much higher over the year.

All that is true, but you have a flaw in your assessment of the situation. A better offense with more shots per game (lower variable to percentage) team is actually more dangerous here. If they shoot 30% from three they only convert 8 threes (making it a whole number for realistic in game shooting), if they shoot 50% from three they convert 13 threes (rounding up as with the 30% for a realistic made number). Same 20% difference but that is now a fifteen point difference instead of a mere six points.

So there is actually more variability to the actual score with the higher paced better offensive team even if the percentages have less variability.

Now the counter would be that team B has less of a likelihood to have a 30% game or a 50% game but that is not really true as 25 shots in a single game is a statistically small sample size those percentages should fall within a 95% confidence interval to the average for the population (didn't do the math out fully but quick mental calculation says it's fine or off by a percentage point or two, which doesn't make a difference in the overall point).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Sample size is small regardless of pace of a singular basketball game when talking shooting percentages and shot attempts.

Then you are statistically speaking correct about percentages but that does not change what the poster said, necessarily.

A slower paced, poor offensive team may have more variability to percentages game to game throughout the year due to smaller sample size during a game but that is only variability from their average. If their average shooting is 34% from three and a team only takes 10 threes a game (making 3.4 per game on average) then there is a wide variability statistically when looking at the percentages by making one, or two, extra shots. That is true. They go 5 of 10 instead of 3 of 10 and they are shooting twenty percent better against your team. Looks bad but it's only a six point difference.

However, a good offensive team who has a high pace and shoots 40% on the year from three has a lower variability if they are putting up 25 threes a game and making on average 10. Each three attempt is worth a lower percentage to the shooting percentage, especially if you look at the season average as their number of shots will stack much higher over the year.

All that is true, but you have a flaw in your assessment of the situation. A better offense with more shots per game (lower variable to percentage) team is actually more dangerous here. If they shoot 30% from three they only convert 8 threes (making it a whole number for realistic in game shooting), if they shoot 50% from three they convert 13 threes (rounding up as with the 30% for a realistic made number). Same 20% difference but that is now a fifteen point difference instead of a mere six points.

So there is actually more variability to the actual score with the higher paced better offensive team even if the percentages have less variability.

Now the counter would be that team B has less of a likelihood to have a 30% game or a 50% game but that is not really true as 25 shots in a single game is a statistically small sample size those percentages should fall within a 95% confidence interval to the average for the population (didn't do the math out fully but quick mental calculation says it's fine or off by a percentage point or two, which doesn't make a difference in the overall point).
Nerd=4.jpg

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

Nerd

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I never wanna disrespect any opponent, because upsets do exist, but I really don’t see how this team outscores us without a dreadful shooting display by our team.

But as always, much doomed.

Reaction Score
I spent a lot of today looking at San Diego State keys to victory. San Diego State is pretty deep and uses 9 players as we do. Their point guard is only 5'10" and they aren't a great rebounding team or very big. I think our length on defense will be key as will getting their center in foil trouble.

Arizona beat them by 17 earlier this year and they also lost to St. Mary's who we handled. I'm sure there are some good tactics to utilize from those games. Also, their starters don't shoot tremendously well from three.

My main takeaways are rebounding (although we won the rebounding battle against Miami, there were stretches where we got outworked and didn't box out - need to tighten that up) and avoiding turnovers. San Diego State is scrappy and we can't give them any freebies. They want a chaotic game.

Reaction Score
Except it hasn’t. Before they expanded the tourney, and before Monday Night Football was invented, they played the national semis on Thursday night and the Finals on Saturday afternoon.
Maybe there's a big bowling competition or figure skating event on Saturday they don't want to mess up. :)

Reaction Score
Like Arkansas, SDSU is not typically built to come from behind (though they just did that against FAU, albeit bc FAU is a super small team). If we break out to a 10-15 point lead it should be enough to cruise to the title. We just need to balance our tendency to get 3 happy with a heavy dose of Sanogo down low and Jackson needs to stay out of foul trouble. Can safely assume Jackson will be guarding Bradley. Only way SDSU has a chance is if we go ice cold from 3 like Alabama and they get a lot of foul shots. Or if we get complacent and have a lot of turnovers. If they start getting some easy baskets at the rim then Clingan comes in and shuts that off.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
KenPom efficiency ranks:
SDSU O- 68th
SDSU D- 4th
Miami O- 6th
Miami D- 99th
Zags O- 1st
Zags D- 73rd
Ark O- 55th
Ark D- 17th
Mary’s O- 44th
Mary’s D- 10th

SDSU are polar opposites of Miami and Gonzaga but profile similarly to Ark and St Mary’s, which beat SDSU this season 68-61.

I prefer playing these defensively oriented teams in low scoring games rather than getting into shootouts with elite offenses. All that scoring introduces more variability. If we can hold Miami and Gonzaga to season low point totals in the 50s then we can do the same to SDSU. We are also a “defense-first” team that happens to have an elite O. Similar to 2011, if we play to our identity one more time we should be able to manufacture enough points to win
I actually feel exactly the opposite for the same reason. More scoring = bigger sample size = less impact of random variation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom