San Diego State Scouting Report | Page 5 | The Boneyard

San Diego State Scouting Report

Reaction Score
I will be happy that we win but disappointed because we did not play our A game. IMHO SDS is not on same level as UConn, others might disagree but I saw their games and if you are happy with a 4 pts win then more power to you.
Dude if you’d be disappointed while watching us hoist a national championship trophy you’re miserable. I don’t care how we win this game

Reaction Score
Let's remember that SDSU's roster is older, and our 2014 Championship team had good upperclassman leadership led by Shabazz (Sr.), Giffey (Sr.), Boatright (Jr.), DeAndre Daniels (Jr.).

They also beat Creighton, who we lost to earlier this season. I see a well-coached, experienced, sneaky team that will be tough to beat.

Here are my keys to winning:

1. Pound the Paint - Feed Adama and Clingan, let them post up and feast all game
2. Utilize our 3 pt. Shooters - SDSU plays tight mid-range D and rotates 9 players, so we will need everyone (Hawkins, Karaban, Alleyne, Diarra) to step up and make it rain from 3
3. Minimize Turnovers - We're up against a tough defensive squad, and we've been turnover prone lately against the press. Need crisp, decisive passing
4. Rebound Shots - offensive possessions are always a premium in defensive games, let's be scrappy and outhustle them on the offensive boards for second chance points

If we do the above, play scrappy and tough, and have an attitude to do whatever it takes to win, then I'm liking our chances at hoisting #5. Let's Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I hear what you are saying but if we are up when the game ends, whether it is by one point or twenty, I'll be extremely happy. Somewhere down the road we can nitpick about whether we did or did not play our best but the goal is a W.

If the refs let them turn this game into a rock fight (the only way SDSU has a chance) the final score could well end up being something like 53-48. I would prefer a smooth flowing game of skill and athleticism as a) it is a more enjoyable brand of basketball and b) we win by double digits in that type of game. If we're stuck with a rock fight and still win, the trophy will be every bit as nice.
You are absolutely right. I am just being stupid having my kids (UConn graduates) and their friends in Houston right now. Did not know how they got tickets and air fares at the last minutes but they did.

Reaction Score
Great write up! I kept thinking in this tournament someone would eventually solve the UConn riddle. Each game after Iona I though maybe this is the loss coming. St Mary's, Arkansans, Gonzaga, and Miami with all their different play styles and matchup problems I figured one of them would figure it out.
For this one, I'm worried about a slow, agonizing pace where SDSU tries to limit possessions and be super efficient offensivley. I think UConn is good enough to play that way too but I don't think they like too.
They're like a more athletic version of St. Mary's, no?

Given that we've already faced a variety of styles, I'm not sure SDSU will be radically new, maybe in magnitude, but not in style.

Reaction Score
I will be happy that we win but disappointed because we did not play our A game. IMHO SDS is not on same level as UConn, others might disagree but I saw their games and if you are happy with a 4 pts win then more power to you.
Play To Win New York Jets GIF

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
I'll just be waiting for us to start playing what I call beautiful basketball chaos, usually triggered by an insane feed by Andre for a Hawk laser or a bunny for Mr. Sanogo. When that happens, it doesn't matter who we're playing. They're gonna be toast, no jam.

They can play whatever game they want. We're not just winning games. We're outgunning, outrunning and outfunning really good teams, destroying egos, and making grown men cry. Dutcher will be looking like he just swallowed a turd sandwich whole, just like Larranaga and Few did in those second halfs.

I've got more concerns about my 530 alarm tomorrow than our guys beating SDSU.
!

caw

Reaction Score
Watching SDSUs offense is like scrapping your eyes.

They basically run a ton of pick and roll action up top. They have some variety but it’s pretty white bread. They do run two bugs at times and use the bigs to screen the help defender so the driver has a free lane to the rim.

They also double post and end up with a lot of 5-7 footers. I expect them to be further out against UConn.

Let me tell what you should never do, watch the full SMC/SDSU game. They should burn all tape. It’s horrid to watch, but two things of note, SMC did a solid job of moving the defense by passing the ball. And their small guard is a bulldog on defense, but like most small guards, he reaches a ton. The number of fouls he should have had in that game was double digits, in the first half.

Zona/SDSU was slightly better to watch. Sons killed them down low which opened the three.

Reaction Score
I typed up a whole stat nugget post last night but it disappeared (I was falling asleep while typing it so maybe I didn't actually post it, whoops, newborn dad-life).

Main takeaways:
  • Jaedon LeDee is actually their best player by RAPM, but he comes off the bench. Great rebounder, great at the rim. Bouncy athletic at his size. Reminds me a bit of Obi Toppin in the way he moves. Gotta force him into the midrange shots (hooks and foul line jumpers) and keep him off the boards. Former top 100 recruit now in his 5th year.
  • Nathan Mensah is similarly good on the boards, and one of the best shotblockers we've faced all year (around the same level as Cisse and Castleton).
  • Matt Bradley is their highest usage guy, but loves the midrange and off the dribble/triple threat 3s, which lowers his efficiency.
  • Lamont Butler isn't a great shooter from anywhere (unless there's 0.2 left apparently), but is on the level of Diarra/Jackson on the defensive end as a guard by D-RAPM.
  • Darrion Trammell has shot worse every year of his college career. He's quick, but if we can get him to get shots up, especially with our length, it should work out for us.
  • Aguek Arop rates out as their 2nd best player by RAPM because he's their best defensive player (and best player by BPR). He's a top 15 or so defensive player in the country by D-RAPM (#11 by D-BPR).
  • Micah Parrish is boring statistically. Not strong or weak in many areas.
  • Keshad Johnson has a similar game to LeDee but not quite as good. And kinda looks like him on the court (not face as much as everything else).
  • Adam Seiko is a good shooter, but doesn't do much else. 80% of his shots from 3 and almost all catch and shoot.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I typed up a whole stat nugget post last night but it disappeared (I was falling asleep while typing it so maybe I didn't actually post it, whoops, newborn dad-life).

Main takeaways:
  • Jaedon LeDee is actually their best player by RAPM, but he comes off the bench. Great rebounder, great at the rim. Bouncy athletic at his size. Reminds me a bit of Obi Toppin in the way he moves. Gotta force him into the midrange shots (hooks and foul line jumpers) and keep him off the boards. Former top 100 recruit now in his 5th year.
  • Nathan Mensah is similarly good on the boards, and one of the best shotblockers we've faced all year (around the same level as Cisse and Castleton).
  • Matt Bradley is their highest usage guy, but loves the midrange and off the dribble/triple threat 3s, which lowers his efficiency.
  • Lamont Butler isn't a great shooter from anywhere (unless there's 0.2 left apparently), but is on the level of Diarra/Jackson on the defensive end as a guard by D-RAPM.
  • Darrion Trammell has shot worse every year of his college career. He's quick, but if we can get him to get shots up, especially with our length, it should work out for us.
  • Aguek Arop rates out as their 2nd best player by RAPM because he's their best defensive player (and best player by BPR). He's a top 15 or so defensive player in the country by D-RAPM (#11 by D-BPR).
  • Micah Parrish is boring statistically. Not strong or weak in many areas.
  • Keshad Johnson has a similar game to LeDee but not quite as good. And kinda looks like him on the court (not face as much as everything else).
  • Adam Seiko is a good shooter, but doesn't do much else. 80% of his shots from 3 and almost all catch and shoot.
200w.gif

Reaction Score
Let's remember that SDSU's roster is older, and our 2014 Championship team had good upperclassman leadership led by Shabazz (Sr.), Giffey (Sr.), Boatright (Jr.), DeAndre Daniels (Jr.).

They also beat Creighton, who we lost to earlier this season. I see a well-coached, experienced, sneaky team that will be tough to beat.

Here are my keys to winning:

1. Pound the Paint - Feed Adama and Clingan, let them post up and feast all game
2. Utilize our 3 pt. Shooters - SDSU plays tight mid-range D and rotates 9 players, so we will need everyone (Hawkins, Karaban, Alleyne, Diarra) to step up and make it rain from 3
3. Minimize Turnovers - We're up against a tough defensive squad, and we've been turnover prone lately against the press. Need crisp, decisive passing
4. Rebound Shots - offensive possessions are always a premium in defensive games, let's be scrappy and outhustle them on the offensive boards for second chance points

If we do the above, play scrappy and tough, and have an attitude to do whatever it takes to win, then I'm liking our chances at hoisting #5. Let's Go Huskies!
Last thing I want is Diarra raining 3's. Don't even want him raining 2's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom