Samuel next season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Samuel next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOL took 3 years for people to get Boatwright down, looks like it's gonna take another 3 to get Samuels down.

It took almost 3 years for Ryan to get "Boatwright" down……if you like him that much spell his name right.

He's been a real nice player for a while, but his best basketball BY FAR came during the tourney…..it's like a switch went off and I hope it stays on, he was great! before then if you thought he was anything but perplexing at times and a bit inconsistent you were wrong!

Reaction Score
I think a switch was definitely flipped. He said himself he found his role, excelled in it, and I can only hope/imagine KO will capitalize and build on it this season. A three PG lineup of Senior Boat, 21 year old Purvis and confident and experienced TSam might end up being deadlier than Bazz/Boat/TSam this season, if we can make up for the three point shooting we will miss with Bazz gone.

Reaction Score
But have we ever seen him hit a jump shot?

Reminds me alot of an old NC PG we had named Taliek Brown. He couldn't shoot either (except that one time) but he could run an offense and play D. Most of all, he played hard.

Samuel's game has a similar feeling in my eyes. And with the weapons around him he won't need to shoot.

Reaction Score
Samuel could be our poor man's version of Victor Oladipo. Same everything except with the still developing J. I believe that if Sam continues to develop at his present rate, he could be a is round 2016 or 17 draftee. He has to try very hard at games and practice to earn huge game minutes. His teammates at his position are very good. He has to assert himself.

Reaction Score
I think a switch was definitely flipped. He said himself he found his role, excelled in it, and I can only hope/imagine KO will capitalize and build on it this season. A three PG lineup of Senior Boat, 21 year old Purvis and confident and experienced TSam might end up being deadlier than Bazz/Boat/TSam this season, if we can make up for the three point shooting we will miss with Bazz gone.
Remains to be seen if Purvis can be effective at PG; it isn't a simple transition. Sam Jr. could emerge as an outstanding PG who can score. It is going to be interesting to see how KO pieces together the team next year. It is likely that we will have some surprises both positive and negative. Nolan and Brimah getting a little better, Omar getting his confidence back and Facey developing could end up being more important.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
TSam won't have double hip surgery.
Fair enough. For what it is worth, I am hopeful that Omar gets back to form this year. I think he just needed time. My heart goes out to him. It was a rough year. Still, at least publically, he kept his head up. I have a ton of respect for him.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm going to judge Samuel based on how he played in the tourney against a Top 10 team when our star was on the bench for 12 minutes. Nevermind the way he just took it to 'em in the Final game. The guy is a player.

Reaction Score
Reminds me alot of an old NC PG we had named Taliek Brown. He couldn't shoot either (except that one time) but he could run an offense and play D. Most of all, he played hard.

Samuel's game has a similar feeling in my eyes. And with the weapons around him he won't need to shoot.
The difference on offense is Samuel can finish and make his FTs.

Reaction Score
The difference on offense is Samuel can finish and make his FTs.

That is very true. Taliek was a bit shaky at the line. But I think that comparison is a bit more fair then the Shabazz or Boat nonsense.

Reaction Score
I like Samuel. Alot. Thrilled he'll be here for 4 years and has the makings of a leader. He's unselfish and plays harder than most you'll find. But he's not an elite talent. No offense. Yes, he had his moments in the tournament but he was GREATLY aided by the defense's focus on Shabazz or Boat, or both. A weaker defender on him for the same reason. A lesser scouting report for the same reason. And fresher legs at all times because he wasn't logging 35-40 minutes a night.

He's going to do good things but let's reel in the hype a bit.

Reaction Score
In 270 minutes he made zero three pointers.

He only attempted one.

Reaction Score
In 270 minutes he made zero three pointers.

He only attempted one.

Does he need to make 3s to help us win games? He's a PG, how many assists? How many TOs? He's proven he can be effective. If anything I like that stat because he only took 1. Let's me know he understands his own game. You can teach a player to shoot. The fact that he is a good free throw shooter is evidence he's not hopeless. Leave it on him and the coaching staff. Imagine if he develops an outside shot. It's not unheard-of.

Reaction Score
He is more Kevin Ollie and Talik Brown then any one else and not even close to Bazz even when Bazz was a freshman. I see alot of Ollie in him, loves to push the ball and run every chance he gets, attacks the rim, and plays hard defense, those were Ollie trademarks. Ollie and him both even dribbled high. He needs to work on his handle against pressure and develop at least a short jumper.

Reaction Score
He is more Kevin Ollie and Talik Brown then any one else and not even close to Bazz even when Bazz was a freshman. I see alot of Ollie in him, loves to push the ball and run every chance he gets, attacks the rim, and plays hard defense, those were Ollie trademarks. Ollie and him both even dribbled high. He needs to work on his handle against pressure and develop at least a short jumper.

I'll take Kevin Ollie again.

Reaction Score
I like the Tate George comp the best. He's big and physical like George was, and he's a very good on-ball defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom