Samuel next season | The Boneyard

Samuel next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he's got that same inner confidence and drive that both Kemba and Bazz had. Our back court is stacked.

Reaction Score
He is my family's scholarship player- great person- very determined.

I was shocked by how rapidly he improved for us during the NCAA.. I knew he had talent but thought it might take a few years for it to surface enough for him to get real PT. Boy was I wrong. Great D! - can really get to the basket- and "strong like bull".

Reaction Score
His ability to get to the hoop AND finish at the hoop was a very welcome surprise. He's already a fan favorite and my favorite.

Reaction Score
What makes you think that?
Bazz said this year he expected TSam to be the "next great UCONN guard". TSam has talked to Kemba for inspiration and has the drive to improve and prove himself on this level. He is a UCONN player through and through- he is not going to let his ranking out of HS determine his future- he is dedicated to making his future bright- if that is not an Ollie kid I do not know what is.

Reaction Score
But have we ever seen him hit a jump shot?

Eh he hit a three or two. Free throw shooting seemed fine too IIRC. Need more time to judge his JS. right now it's probably a C.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
He can already get to the rack at will. If I'm T-Sam, I'm in the gym every day putting up hundreds of shots. Needs to work on that jumper otherwise people will know he can only drive and will play off him and force him to hit the open shot. If that's the case he needs to knock em down and keep the defense honest.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The problem I see with him progressing into a Kemba/Bazz/Boat impact guard type player is just that the back court will be too crowded the next few years...between Purv/Boat/Prince/Turtle/Sam/DHam(taking some of his minutes at the wing)....unless someone leaves early of course.

Reaction Score
But have we ever seen him hit a jump shot?
The problem I see with him progressing into a Kemba/Bazz/Boat impact guard type player is just that the back court will be too crowded the next few years...between Purv/Boat/Prince/Turtle/Sam/DHam(taking some of his minutes at the wing)....unless someone leaves early of course.

lol

Reaction Score

#firstworldproblems

Reaction Score
i think he's going to be a beast. took it strong against Payne & Young in the tourney, showed really nice vision, no fear defender against kilpatrick, and learned pg leadership from Bazz. he's only going to get better. 3 guard sets with a combo of Purvis, Boat, & Hamilton next year, drive & kick.
'16 will be crowded, but we'll figure that out when we get there.

Reaction Score
He really improved his free throw shooting during the season. Hopefully that is a sign that his overall shooting is improving. Won't know until he starts taking some outside shots. As noted he goes to the rim really well. Still needs to tighten his handle. But overall we did see an improvement TS from the beginning of the season to the end. Hopefully he has a great off season.

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
How many jumpers did Taliek Brown make? I can only think of one.

He actually looked like as a sophomore that he might develop into a serviceable shooter - hit a couple threes against Maryland, and a couple in the Arizona win when he scored 24 or so. Then as a junior, he put up a series of bricks from outside and just stopped trying. Didn't take them at all as a senior, but the floor was so well spaced with Ben and Rashad that he didn't have to - he could exploit the wide driving lanes instead and shoot from 15 feet and in.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
He actually looked like as a sophomore that he might develop into a serviceable shooter - hit a couple threes against Maryland, and a couple in the Arizona win when he scored 24 or so. Then as a junior, he put up a series of bricks from outside and just stopped trying. Didn't take them at all as a senior, but the floor was so well spaced with Ben and Rashad that he didn't have to - he could exploit the wide driving lanes instead and shoot from 15 feet and in.
Which didn't stop Billy Packer from saying that he really needed to start hitting some jumpers or else the defense would just play off him and give him no room to drive. The fact that he said this in the national championship game apparently didn't affect his belief in the wisdom of his judgment.

Reaction Score
Samuel has a real herky jerky nyc style game. He is a creative finisher at the cup. Not really sure how other teams will deal with a 3 guard line up next year, lots of explosiveness everywhere and defensive versatility( depending on if purvis takes a leap on that end), having two 6'4 point guards come off the bench year will be great

Reaction Score
He's a tough son of a bitch with an edge. A confident NYC guard, I see him taking us the same places Taliek took us. He ain't scared of recruits or any other guards challenging him for playing time. In 3 years he'll be a stud.

Bazz, Boat and Ollie trusted the ball in his hands at crucial moments of big games, that says a lot for a freshman. Also he made a name for himself in the tournament putting his name on the 'media' books so to speak.

Reaction Score
K I'm just going to give my 2 cents.

TSam has a great ability to finish at the rim, however especially on fast breaks or when he was trying to hard to make something happen in the NCAA'S ocassionaly I could tell he was losing control / lost control of the ball which either resulted in a turnover, or a missed layup. Now that didn't happen many times but I hope he can improve on it over the summer.

Secondly, Although I agree with the killer instinct (that kinda feeling you get where you believe he won't let UConn lose in big games) I don't think he has a jump shot. I know hes only a fresh but in my opinion both bazz and kemba were more athletic and better dribblers then him as freshman, also pretty sure kemba and bazz both had good/decent mid range games (don't quote me on that...). Dribbling will come naturally however with experience and hopefully the decision making will follow suite. I hope he can work on the jump shot over the summer.

I will say, his body control and touch at the rim seems to be amazing. Some of the drives he made I didn't think he had a chance when he was at the top of the key before I watched him drive and lay it in. I believe he can learn quite a bit from Boat and hopefully he learned alot from Bazz.

As a side note: I hope Bazz passed on the kemba head fake when driving the lane to both boat and tsam. Regardless if you get a call when you do it, it makes the refs take notice or think they missed something and get their attention which could lead to a foul call for you.

TLDR: Wall of Text, First two paragraphs said he sometimes loses control of ball because he runs to fast, and he lacks a decent midrange game as far as I know, Last paragraphs.. well read them.

Reaction Score
Bazz said this year he expected TSam to be the "next great UCONN guard". TSam has talked to Kemba for inspiration and has the drive to improve and prove himself on this level. He is a UCONN player through and through- he is not going to let his ranking out of HS determine his future- he is dedicated to making his future bright- if that is not an Ollie kid I do not know what is.

Getting talked up by a teammate and talking to a former great player doesn't make him a great player. I like Samuel, but the expectations that every single young player will develop into an elite superstar are getting tiresome.

Reaction Score
I think only one future elite superstar was being referred to here.

pj

Reaction Score
Getting talked up by a teammate and talking to a former great player doesn't make him a great player. I like Samuel, but the expectations that every single young player will develop into an elite superstar are getting tiresome.

I never get tired of imagining our players becoming superstars. I don't say that they will in public, but in my imagination ...

Reaction Score
Eh he hit a three or two. Free throw shooting seemed fine too IIRC. Need more time to judge his JS. right now it's probably a C.
Actually, he only took one three-pointer and he missed it. He shot well from the field but many of those were layups. He did shoot .706 from the free throw lane and seems to have a lot of confidence. The fact that Ollie used him at big moments speaks volumes about him.

Reaction Score
I think most people have high hopes because he played very solid defense, made multiple high level plays, and made his free throws in the biggest games possible. Not because he is being talked up by a teammate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom