Samson redshirt | The Boneyard

Samson redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered but can Samson still redshirt this year? Was just looking through team stats and somewhat surprised to see he’s only played in 4 games. I know the old rule used to have something to do about WHEN those games were played, but I assume he’ll end up being a redshirt?

Reaction Score
But can he get a medical? He may not want to give up on his career what’s less of his age.

Reaction Score
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered but can Samson still redshirt this year? Was just looking through team stats and somewhat surprised to see he’s only played in 4 games. I know the old rule used to have something to do about WHEN those games were played, but I assume he’ll end up being a redshirt?
He should qualify for a medical redshirt. Think the rules there are the injury has to happen early on in the season and he needs to play in less than 30% of the games, both of which are true for him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whaley took his time and it appears to be paying off. Looking back, I wonder what the Venn diagram intersection is between those who called out Hurley for not running Whaley off when he got there; and those who say Hurley doesn't develop players. Probaly close to a circle.

Reaction Score
Do we know for a fact that he's not playing now because of his medical confdition? I would love for the reporters just ask what's the deal with Johnson?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This young man will never play meaningful minutes at UConn
His decision or not his decision.
Unfortunately, he can't get himself physically able to do so, when he does he can't stay out of foul trouble and most likely he is just snake bitten
It's really sad

Reaction Score
I doubt it. I think Hurley just decided not to put him in the rotation because of already established frontcourt chemistry. It’s not because he isn’t in game shape either. Plenty of players miss a couple months with an injury and are back playing 25-30 minutes after a couple of games. Probably the right call for the team this season but no highly ranked player like Samson will stick around in those circumstances anymore either.
I understand what you are saying, but I am still optimistic that he can contribute something at some point and be part of this team's success. That would be a stepping stone toward being an impact player next season.

Reaction Score
This young man will never play meaningful minutes at UConn
His decision or not his decision.
Unfortunately, he can't get himself physically able to do so, when he does he can't stay out of foul trouble and most likely he is just snake bitten
It's really sad
I hope he sticks around because he can be the full time backup 5 next year and probably play some minutes at the 4 also.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
People must’ve missed the Borges tweet where Hurley said he hopes Johnson is “patient.” He’s clearly just not in the rotation, probably because we can’t afford any mistakes.

Reaction Score
I hope he sticks around because he can be the full time backup 5 next year and probably play some minutes at the 4 also.
He's next in line for significant backup minutes (20-25 mpg), but Clingan and Karaban are also clearly going to be starting over him for the foreseeable future.

Would that satisfy him? Who knows.

Reaction Score
He's next in line for significant backup minutes (20-25 mpg), but Clingan and Karaban are also clearly going to be starting over him for the foreseeable future.

Half the game on a very good team I hope attracts him because I would think he’s better than someone we would be offering backup minutes from the portal.
Is there a world where karaban can play the 3 with him and Clingan for stretches? With so much potential youth on the roster next year could that be a way to go?

Reaction Score
He should qualify for a medical redshirt. Think the rules there are the injury has to happen early on in the season and he needs to play in less than 30% of the games, both of which are true for him.
Yah, just take a red shirt regardless. It won’t hurt him at all (pun intended). He can go pro when he wants.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Eh. One or two of the frosh are going to be eating up some minutes on the front court. I don't think he is next in line for anything. He's in the line but not next in line.

Reaction Score
Whaley took his time and it appears to be paying off. Looking back, I wonder what the Venn diagram intersection is between those who called out Hurley for not running Whaley off when he got there; and those who say Hurley doesn't develop players. Probaly close to a circle.

It did take somewhat of an injury for some to see he could be an impact. And Isaiah took it from there.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure he and DH have had conversations.. Don't see any significant PT opportunities with AK at the 4..Alleyne has provided spot minutes and Jackson has positional flexibility when needed. Providing Samson with maximum flexibility for next season is important at this stage of the season.. Our rotation is beginning to tighten up for BET/Tournament.

Reaction Score
I think we can put to rest any discussion about Johnson taking a redshirt season. I could be wrong but I don't think you can come back from an injury, play, and then still decide to redshirt. Think even if you're under the allowable number of games played you can't play after the injury. Anyone know the exact rules?

Reaction Score
Don’t hate me, but remember Hilton Armstrong? I thought he was never gonna play his first 3 years, but he played his way into getting drafted after his 4th year. He hung around the NBA a few years. Not saying he was a superstar, but he got further than most players in college ball.

Reaction Score
Saw this in the game article from the Register.

The dominant performance allowed UConn to try a few new things. Samson Johnson, the 6-foot-10 sophomore who missed most of the first two months with a foot injury, got into a game for the first time since Feb. 4, checking in with a little under five minutes left in the first half. Johnson wound up playing seven minutes.

"It was good to get him some minutes," Hurley said. "We're trying to hammer into our conversations with him, 'Stay with us, man.' It's hard to miss two months, miss all the buy games, all the non-conference. For us to try to jam you into these Big East games ... you're hoping he stays with us, because the guy's got tremendous talent and has a big future."

Alternate free access:

UConn men's basketball team rolls to dominating win over DePaul in home finale

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Don’t hate me, but remember Hilton Armstrong? I thought he was never gonna play his first 3 years, but he played his way into getting drafted after his 4th year. He hung around the NBA a few years. Not saying he was a superstar, but he got further than most players in college ball.

Ahhh…..he started 22 games as a freshman. Generally got about 10-12 minutes per game, but obviously took off as a senior.

But generally, I agree….there’s a chance for Johnson here if he sticks around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom