Samson redshirt | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Samson redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The kid runs the floor like a gazelle. A lot of physical tools to work with.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Funny how honest Hurley is that they are worried he’s gonna leave after the year if he doesn’t get the minutes.
That stood out to me too. Hope I'm wrong but that makes me feel he's already gone.

Reaction Score
Don’t hate me, but remember Hilton Armstrong? I thought he was never gonna play his first 3 years, but he played his way into getting drafted after his 4th year. He hung around the NBA a few years. Not saying he was a superstar, but he got further than most players in college ball.
It's always possible he develops with a bigger role next year, but it is certainly the case that he's not going to contribute this year, despite people expecting him to be some kind of savior in January.

Reaction Score
The kid runs the floor like a gazelle. A lot of physical tools to work with.
The problem is he -- like Akok, Majok, and Deng before him -- is exactly the sort of player who becomes wildly overrated based on their "tools".

Athleticism, running the floor, ability to block shots, some dribbling and shooting ability for their size (but probably not good enough in a vacuum). The problem is that sort of skill set rarely translates to a 5-on-5 setting where you need a well defined role and not merely a collection of skills. Karaban is basically the opposite: in 5-on-5, his contributions are much bigger than the sum of his parts.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
There’s a big time scholarship crunch with all of the scholarships given out to players we can’t rely on for anything next year at this point.

Springs, AR, Hasson, Johnson, and a big freshman class… it’s too much and this team is desperately going to need shooters with Jackson, Clingan, Castle, Ball, and Diarra playing real minutes.

But in this era these things sort of have a way of figuring themselves out

Reaction Score
Ahhh…..he started 22 games as a freshman. Generally got about 10-12 minutes per game, but obviously took off as a senior.

But generally, I agree….there’s a chance for Johnson here if he sticks around.
Yeah he's definitely got a chance because the physical tools are there, but if we're being honest it's probably not a great one. Hilton Armstrong is creeping up on 20 years ago, and the reason he's still the go-to example on the board for this type of situation is it just doesn't happen all that often.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
It's always possible he develops with a bigger role next year, but it is certainly the case that he's not going to contribute this year, despite people expecting him to be some kind of savior in January.
He got into the Depaul game and within one minute committed a foul... that doesn't inspire confidence.

Reaction Score
it seems like there is an accepted collective consciousness among players who aren't getting PT (especially talented freshmen) that it's not only easy to transfer with impunity, but encouraged. I think there is no remorse for leaving a program. That emotion has phased out like the gesture of automatically standing when a female gets up from a table.

Reaction Score
I think we can put to rest any discussion about Johnson taking a redshirt season. I could be wrong but I don't think you can come back from an injury, play, and then still decide to redshirt. Think even if you're under the allowable number of games played you can't play after the injury. Anyone know the exact rules?
Would love to know the answer. Tough spot and who knows what SJ is thinking.

Reaction Score
I think we can put to rest any discussion about Johnson taking a redshirt season. I could be wrong but I don't think you can come back from an injury, play, and then still decide to redshirt. Think even if you're under the allowable number of games played you can't play after the injury. Anyone know the exact rules?
I will answer my own question.

According to the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Compliance, Scott Young, “the NCAA has two requirements for a medical redshirt; the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season. You must provide documentation of the injury, and it must be considered season-ending.”

So since Johnson's injury was not season-ending, he can't get a medical redshirt.

Reaction Score
He’s just overeager. He was like the Energizer bunny there trying to block a shot.
That's exactly what I said about the first game this season before he got hurt in the game. Tough to play defense jumping around like he's on a pogo stick.

Reaction Score
Maybe nobody remembers how foul-prone AJax was as a freshman. Samson has played in 18 college games. If he sticks around and can earn more minutes he will likely foul much less as he adjusts.

Reaction Score
I will answer my own question.

According to the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Compliance, Scott Young, “the NCAA has two requirements for a medical redshirt; the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season. You must provide documentation of the injury, and it must be considered season-ending.”

So since Johnson's injury was not season-ending, he can't get a medical redshirt.
That's more than two requirements, Scott.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern for Samson is that he ends up getting leapfrogged by Youssouf Singare. Singare isn't really that highly rated but a lot of the things you hear about him are exactly what you want from a guy like that. He gets up and down the court well, he's an effective shot blocker, and has fared pretty well during his games in OTE. Offensively, he's not capable of much but rim running, but I don't think he'll get punished as much defensively as Samson has. It's hard to say though, playing D1 caliber bigs every night is a different animal.

I think some of the previous posters are right that Samson has always been a guy who has been surrounded by the word "potential." He has a lot of tools athletically, and because he hadn't been playing the game for that long, it seemed like he was picking up some of the skill aspects of the game quickly. Unfortunately, he hasn't really looked capable of putting all of it together yet. But, like with any UConn player, I will remain hopeful for as long as he's with the program

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People must’ve missed the Borges tweet where Hurley said he hopes Johnson is “patient.” He’s clearly just not in the rotation, probably because we can’t afford any mistakes.
Like Springs' patience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24