Samson Johnson why not? | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really don't understand, I mean I get it him and diggins are freshmen but why not give them a shot and I don't mean for 4 or 5 mins give the 15 to 20 in 1 or 2 games and see what you have. I mean dh has claimed what a bright future Samson has for sure so why not it's not like things are perfect right now and we could use a spark. Plus for diggins why not it's not like Gaffney is a star. Anyway just my thoughts.

Reaction Score
Well, Samson finally got some minutes, against the best team in the BE over the las few years. Minutes that he wasn't very prepared for because he's had almost no PT. Despite this, I thought he did pretty well, was active, and didn't look intimidated.

Reaction Score
He had a rough time, bobbled the ball a little and got beat bad on D once when he fouled because he jumped on a ball fake. But he did recover and play his man better the next opportunity, so he learned immediately. So I certainly get taking him out when he did, sit him discuss what happened. But why not throw him back in? I mean of course he was nervous he never plays and he’s at Nova versus the best BE team.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
when we was in we actually held up well. The game didn’t get out of hand. But with foul trouble and injuries this is why when you play bad teams during the season the bench needs more than three minutes.

Reaction Score
Please watch his first 4 possessions or so on Defense...Tuesday will be a better game for him.

Reaction Score
when we was in we actually held up well. The game didn’t get out of hand. But with foul trouble and injuries this is why when you play bad teams during the season the bench needs more than three minutes.
Agree. Ive been saying It’s like the chicken and egg scenario. Samson/Rahsool have not been playing because they are not ready, but when they see the court, they have a tough time adjusting because they have seen such limited in game minutes.

Reaction Score
Agree. Ive been saying It’s like the chicken and egg scenario. Samson/Rahsool have not been playing because they are not ready, but when they see the court, they have a tough time adjusting because they have seen such limited in game minutes.

Let Johnson and Diggins play big minutes. We aren't going to win any big games anyway. We couldn't even beat Villanova yesterday with their starting backcourt out once Gillespie injured his ankle.

I wanted to believe Hurley was the guy to return UConn to greatness. I now realize that was wishful thinking.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I wanted to believe Hurley was the guy to return UConn to greatness. I now realize that was wishful thinking.
C'mon man, it's a fair question whether he can get us back to the top of the mountain, but I think he has made enough progress that the jury is still out on that score.

I can be as skeptical and critical as they come, but I remain hopeful that he becomes better at his job, which should be the expectation.

Reaction Score
Johnson was non-existent on the offensive end and didn't really contribute on the defensive end. We have too many passengers as it is.

I have watched his high school tape. He is a great player. He should probably get a few minutes to accustom him to the college game. But he hasn't earned them.

Reaction Score
C'mon man, it's a fair question whether he can get us back to the top of the mountain, but I think he has made enough progress that the jury is still out on that score.

I can be as skeptical and critical as they come, but I remain hopeful that he becomes better at his job, which should be the expectation.
You can say the jury is still out. I see a stubborn, overly emotional coach who gets outcoached regularly.

Let me put it another way. Jay Wright wins yesterday with his squad. He would have also won with ours.

Reaction Score
This Post may be a little off the mark but since I live in the Bucks County area of Pa I was so excited to see Rahsool Diggins had signed with UConn. I know Diggins was real good at scoring and distributing the ball while at Archbishop Wood. What was exciting to me was his ability to get to the basket, along with a solid mid range jumper, and his knack of penetrating into the paint and finding open teammates.......what we need so badly. He is a good ball handler and comes from playing a hard nose Philadelphia style defense. I know he has only played very limited minutes but we need him to get minutes to learn the system. Maybe if we have a more rested Cole at the end of a close game our odds of winning would go up. Coach Hurley needs to take a chance and find out how good our team can be and with a potential point guard like Diggins we may all be pleasantly surprised.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You can say the jury is still out. I see a stubborn, overly emotional coach who gets outcoached regularly.

Let me put it another way. Jay Wright wins yesterday with his squad. He would have also won with ours.
I don't disagree; I just think he can improve. Or at least I hope he can.

Reaction Score

Comparing Hurley to Wright is almost as bad as comparing Hurley to Calhoun.

Stop it.

Reaction Score
Comparing Hurley to Wright is almost as bad as comparing Hurley to Calhoun.

Stop it.

Sorry if using a current, real world example burst your bubble. Jay Wright owned Hurley yesterday. Hurley is a solid program coach, suspect game day coach, and usually winds up on the wrong side of close games. Sorry if you can't handle reality.

Reaction Score
I'm very close to "why not" for almost any idea. My opinion of the team was not great before the last 2 games. Obviously last week didn't help.

Give it another week. If we have the similar results as last week, then pretty much everyone will be on board with major minutes increases for all the freshman. Start prepping for next year.

It appears to be working for Creighton. I assume they are going to be a preseason favorite next year.

Reaction Score
Sorry if using a current, real world example burst your bubble. Jay Wright owned Hurley yesterday.
Yes he did, the point is that Jay Wright is currently the best coach in all of college basketball. I'd be ecstatic if Hurley becomes half of Jay Wright because that's a championship winning coach

Reaction Score
Sorry if using a current, real world example burst your bubble. Jay Wright owned Hurley yesterday. Hurley is a solid program coach, suspect game day coach, and usually winds up on the wrong side of close games. Sorry if you can't handle reality.
Wright is in his 60s. He didn’t get to where he is overnight.

I am becoming more and more critical of Hurley, especially his defensive schemes. But to compare him to Wright in his prime is unfair.

Reaction Score
Please watch his first 4 possessions or so on Defense...Tuesday will be a better game for him.
He also caused a turnover on offense because he was in the wrong position and looked lost. Between that and getting beat on defense he didn't look like he should have been in this game. But you can definitely make the argument that he should have played more earlier in the season in many of the blowouts and then he would have been more ready for positive contributions later in the season.

Reaction Score
Wright is in his 60s. He didn’t get to where he is overnight.

I am becoming more and more critical of Hurley, especially his defensive schemes. But to compare him to Wright in his prime is unfair.
Exactly, they both spent 8 years at their previous stops (Hofstra for Jay, Wagner/URI for Dan) before getting their Big East job. Jay is in year 21 at Villanova and Dan is in year 4 at UConn, it's an apples and oranges comparison.

Reaction Score
He had a rough time, bobbled the ball a little and got beat bad on D once when he fouled because he jumped on a ball fake. But he did recover and play his man better the next opportunity, so he learned immediately. So I certainly get taking him out when he did, sit him discuss what happened. But why not throw him back in? I mean of course he was nervous he never plays and he’s at Nova versus the best BE team.
And in front if the largest crowd he’s ever been in front of. I felt badly for him. Hurley didn’t do him any favors.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
@HooperScooper - I think Johnson was improving though even in those limited minutes, the mistakes unfortunately are to be expected with his basically zero playtime previously. I’d like to find him a few minutes a game, maybe early, so he can start gelling.

Reaction Score
I kno we get talked about this ad nauseum but I still don’t understand it. Hurley had a chance to play Diggins and Johnson in that little stretch against the cupcakes in December and refused to - I will still never understand why —as much as Gaffney is struggling now- chance of diggins playing at this point is slim. To me though I see it as a nothing to lose situation , in fact there’s numerous positives to giving diggins a chance:
1) maybe lights a spark under gaffney
2) maybe diggins shows us a little something in games(we never see him so don’t know)
3) risk diggins transferring by blatantly not playing him
4) he gets game time experience for next year or in case we need him this year due to injury—
I still don’t get how he doesn’t see a few mins. I mean how bad can the Philly city player of the year be? Can’t be worse than what we have now. Also, as a side note, why does it seem like every team in the country from Vermont to Lehigh to Creighton to nova has a guy who can put the ball in the bucket but us? Mystifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom