2021 Recruiting: - Samson Johnson to UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Samson Johnson to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I think I know what you are trying to say about the results. But, there was a ton of long term grind behind each one of these commitments. It may seem easy, however the coaches have been working each of these guys for quite awhile.
Really? Never would have guessed that.

Reaction Score
Then you have to factor in guys like Drummond and Caron who had absurd rankings because Drummond enrolled early and Caron was a 5th year. Drummond was the #2 recruit after Anthony Davis and Caron was like #5. I remember Donyell's class being #2 in the nation.
Caron was before 247 so couldn't check on that but added Drummond to the 2011 class and they ended up at #11

Reaction Score
I’m 99.99999% sure he meant this as optimism. Basically, DH has accomplished all these things despite the fact that he can’t pitch making the tourney at UConn, etc.
I reread it and did notice the "even though" in the first sentence so that can be interpreted as giving coach credit in spite of obstacles and in spite of not yet achieving the accomplishments of not yet qualifying for the tournament.

But, I do think last year can stand as a recruiting pitch not only for the upward trajectory of the program, but also, because it did show how players were developed like Bouknight and Whaley , and the end of the year , meteoric rise of Vital. Also, Hurley's astute use of Gilbert in the latter part of the year as a facilitator rather than a go to scorer, to minimize his unfruitful drives to the basket and to utilize his best skill sets.

I guess SCARY was used to describe the anticipated results Hurley could achieve with a few more years of winning.

So that's it. I don't mind going over something again and I appreciate the comments.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Caron was before 247 so couldn't check on that but added Drummond to the 2011 class and they ended up at #11
For some reason after the Drummond reclass they dropped him way down in the rankings.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
And the ultimate source of this water that creates these pressures is rain.
In recruiting you need some catchy or motivational sayings to rally the troops and have fun. Chief is a very analytical dude but at some point we need to keep high level given our purpose.
OMG

Reaction Score
It’s ranked 4th now but will probably drop back to the 8-10 range I would guess.
247 gives a lot more weight to bigger classes- a class score of 60.99 would have ranked:

18th in 2020 (we we 23rd w/ 3 high school commits)
20th in 2019 (we were 18th w/ 4 high school commits)
22nd in 2018
16th in 2017

i think quality is more important than quantity though. just based on the numbers (not taking how good bouk turned out to be into account) and assuming we add a grad transfer or transfer this year (which won't impact our class ranking) which class would you rather have? i'll take 2021.

#49 Hawkins
#54 Diggins

#66 Bouknight
#88 Johnson
#92 Akok
#105 Gaffney
#161 Springs

2019 isn't a perfect example with akok's ranking drop but it's just to illustrate a point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Samson Johnson vs New Brunswick

13 PTS
2 REB
AST (1 potential/0 foul)

2 TO
1 STL
2 BLK

5/5 2FG
1/3 3FG
0/1 FT
  • Very comfortable guarding the perimeter at 6’10-6’11--that will be a tremendous asset for the team.
  • Patrick school was way, way, way better than NB, so there wasn’t a lot to see. But it did allow Samson to be more aggressive offensively which was good to see.
  • Sanogo is an absolute vacuum on the boards, but a terrible, terrible shooter. I have to think he’ll be a traditional center for us.
  • Didn’t play the entire second half ****

The Patrick School vs New Brunswick - Live Basketball
  • Nice potential assist and offensive board
  • Corner 3.
  • Dunk
  • Easy block. I wouldn’t expect him to be a terrific weakside shotblock like Akok is, but very few players are. His length is still definitely disruptive.
  • NICE catch and flush. Wow

Reaction Score
2004 class had to be top ten with Rudy Gay & AJ Price, it was small but with 2 top 20 players, it had to be high ranked. I think Antonio Kellogg was also a top 100 kid.

Also, the 2006 Jerome Dyson, Stanley Robinson, Curtis Kelly, Doug Wiggins, Hasheem Thabeet class had to be high ranked.
Then you have to factor in guys like Drummond and Caron who had absurd rankings because Drummond enrolled early and Caron was a 5th year. Drummond was the #2 recruit after Anthony Davis and Caron was like #5. I remember Donyell's class being #2 in the nation.
I remember Caron’s recruiting. He was un ranked bc he was PG but the stories were amazing. He was my favorite recruit and favorite player.

Reaction Score

I don’t recommend watching this one. Johnson was only on the floor maybe 15 minutes, and his team was holding the ball for 5:17 of them.

6 PTS
2 REB
AST (2 potential/foul)

TO
STL
3 BLK

2FG
2/2 3FG
FT
  • Two fouls in the first minute of the first half and sat the rest, then his team held the ball osmt of the 4th... So these stats are basically 1/4 of a game.
  • TPS held the ball for 5:17 of the 4th quarter because Augustine wouldn’t come out and defend. Ridiculous. Can I say… WE NEED A SHOT CLOCK IN HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL any louder?
LIVE: SEAGULL CLASSIC: THE PATRICK SCHOOL v. ST. AUGUSTINE PREP
  • 3 ball. Pretty solid looking release from this angle for a kid new to playing ball
  • Trailing 3. This is a big part of our offense with Polley--would be great if Samson and Hawkins could step into that role

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Please try to be an optimist.

Nothing wrong with projecting success based on highly regarded recruits, and hopefully, future on campus sports. How many other schools have or are allowed to have, recruits on campus now for recruiting?

Though he hasn't yet made the tourney, remember he might have made at least the building block NIT, had last season continued.

Would you have deprecated Jim Calhoun's recruiting improvements in his earlier years?

We will have to see how things wash out. Would you have preferred 2 star recruits to test out hypothetically Hurley's coaching skills in this upcoming season if it does occur?

Everybody is sour grapes about Covid 19. I would have loved to go back to the beach club I had belonged to since I was a kid. I did not think it worth the risk in a potentially highly populated environment especially since I am in a high risk age group.

Enough things to be bitter about. Coach has worked hard in recruiting and in selling himself and the program.

That is all he can do.

We can try to realistically cope with what we feel comfortable doing or not doing.

No lumps of coal just yet, please.

Should’ve done a “yes and” there, Improviser...

Reaction Score

I don’t recommend watching this one. Johnson was only on the floor maybe 15 minutes, and his team was holding the ball for 5:17 of them.

6 PTS
2 REB
0 AST (2 potential/foul)

0 TO
0 STL
3 BLK

0/0 2FG
2/2 3FG
0/0 FT
  • Two fouls in the first minute of the first half and sat the rest, then his team held the ball osmt of the 4th... So these stats are basically 1/4 of a game.
  • TPS held the ball for 5:17 of the 4th quarter because Augustine wouldn’t come out and defend. Ridiculous. Can I say… WE NEED A SHOT CLOCK IN HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL any louder?
  • 3 ball. Pretty solid looking release from this angle for a kid new to playing ball
  • Trailing 3. This is a big part of our offense with Polley--would be great if Samson and Hawkins could step into that role

Reaction Score

Huntington Prep is a VERY good team and TPS was finally at full strength (no Sanogo or Kuminga until this tournament) so this was a good test for Johnson and how he could fit in on a talented UConn team.

Note: He sat the whole 2nd quarter and came back wearing #25 in the 3rd, so be aware of that if you watch.

Had 8 points and 2 rebounds, but could be more because it’s just highlights.
  • I’m watching these games again and watching Johnson this time. But Sanogo is SO poised in the post. Gets great positioning, rebounds well, finishes from every angle with post hands, decent passing the ball. He’s the kind of undersized 5 that has given us fits for years.
  • Johnson played about 18 minutes
Huntington Prep vs. The Patrick School basketball - ESPN broadcast highlights
  • I liked this defense. Sees the open man, makes up for someone’s defense mistake and forces the TO.
  • 3s
  • Little 2 man game with the UConn commits. Johnson gets blocked but Sanogo has a nice clean up

Reaction Score

10 PTS
5 REB
1 AST

2 TO
0 STL
5 BLK
  • Played about 25 mins
  • TPS got creamed. Missing Sanogo for sure
  • Like a lot of young bigs he needs to keep the ball higher and use pump fakes more.
The Patrick School (NJ) vs Sierra Canyon (CA) - Clash of Champions ESPN Broadcast Highlights
  • Nice follow. Really showing off the wingspan
The Patrick School (NJ) vs Sierra Canyon (CA) - Clash of Champions ESPN Broadcast Highlights
  • Good fight for the board against this 7’3 300lb monster. + the assist to Nutter
  • Screen and roll for 2
  • Another screen and roll for 2
  • Makes up for his mistake with this clean block
  • Runs the floor for 2. He is FAST end to end… very much like Akok
  • Obviously the game is out of hand but that is a BIG block
  • Just a hustle play for the dunk. He’s the only kid on his team even trying hard at this point.

Reaction Score

4 PTS
2 REB
AST

1 STL
3 BLK
  • He only played about 15 mins this game. I assume foul trouble, but it’s hard to know since it’s just highlights of the scoring plays.
  • Luhi is exceptionally well coached.
INTENSE NY/NJ tilt! Noah and Jon lead The Patrick School against Andre Curbelo and LuHi!
  • Big block and the save right after. Nice play.
INTENSE NY/NJ tilt! Noah and Jon lead The Patrick School against Andre Curbelo and LuHi!
  • Soft touch and good control even after he mistimed the putpack here
  • Another putback
  • He wound up this block from 4 steps away

Reaction Score

11 PTS
1 REB
AST

1 TO
3 STL
1 BLK
  • He is really bad at playing in a zone. Both times I’ve seen it he doesn’t really get where to rotate… it’s a good thing we’re a man team.
  • The two future UConn commits had 35/54 points for TPS.
The Patrick School (NJ) vs IMG Academy (FL) - HoopHall Classic - ESPN Broadcast Highlights
  • Starts off the game with a nice 3
The Patrick School (NJ) vs IMG Academy (FL) - HoopHall Classic - ESPN Broadcast Highlights
  • Big lob
  • Putback. Reached out there to get it too
  • Dunk
  • 1 of a bunch of steals. His length in the middle of a press could be killer
  • + the follow up a few seconds later

Reaction Score
did you say Toga?

think Jimmer Fredette learned to play basketball there
I spent some time in Togo; never saw Jimmer. It also means his first euro language is French so get ready with the "allez, allez, allez".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the 9 games vs some of the best teams in the country that I watched (5 full games) I've got

9.9 pts
5.0 reb
0.2 ast

1.4 TO
0.8 STL
2.1 BLK

81% 2FG% (5.2 attempts)
57% 3FG% (1.4 attempts)
50% FT (0.8 attempts)

He is very much a super raw pure athlete with tremendous hops and wingspan. Perimeter and help defense is a plus. His lack of experience is evident when it comes to ballhandling and passing and getting to the line... and basically anything on offense except lobs. I hope he can take some more risks trying to score the ball next season. I'd like to see him take at least 4 3s a game and plenty of tough 2s--not just lobs. Extremely high upside--definitely a player you can take a risk on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom