Same script | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Same script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There it is!!!! See, I told you...the sanctions. That and conference affiliation. And some lingering effects from not having a practice facility for so long...don't forget that!

Do you think that UConn recruits big men who can't crack the top 250 when they aren't sanctioned? Literally the only reason Brimah is on the roster. Use your head.

Reaction Score
its tough when the bigs arent good screeners, all our below average bigs only feel comfortable attempting infficient post moves, they aren't good passers , screeners or offensive rebounders really. Facey is ok but he doesn't really carve out space and eat the glass. I also agree his rotations have always been bizarre 100%, he yanked like 4 starters after 4 minutes. they'llstruggle to get any rhythm with that approach.

When the ball went into Enoch and Brimah tonight down low, it didn't come out. I know Enoch ignored Vance who was all alone for a 3.

Drive, kick outs, ball movement, some screens wouldn't hurt.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We got 18 points combined from the players that returned from last year. Five returning players. 18 points. Larrier outscored the five returning players by himself.

Ollie has to take some heat for this game, no doubt. But God almighty, 5 returning Huskies come into their own house and only get 18 points against a team like Wagner, and there is more than enough blame to go around...

Reaction Score
Let's break this down. You are saying we have lots of talent. We are also losing to teams like Yale, Wagner and Houston. So....

I know right!? It's almost like we should be beating mostly bad programs!!

Reaction Score
Remember when Brimah was a promising Freshman? I really thought he was going to be a player.

Purvis just looks so Tight and stiff. And Truthfully unathletic.

Our Offense has never had great flow not in either of our last two national championships.

Larrier and Gilbert looked good.

C

Chief00

1) Team isn't ready to play to start the half. Went down 11-4 in the first. Took five minutes to score in the second and gave up a 11-2 run along the way. Love the bizarre mix and match lineups that never, ever work.

2) We still have a couple of seven-footers who can't rebound a basketball or get in the way of someone who can.

3) The offense is still dysfunctional.

Numbers one and three are entirely on the coaching staff - not sure what these guys are doing in practice, but we're into years now where this seems to be an issue.

Number two is on the coaching staff as well; if you can't develop a prospect in the front court, start recruiting ready-made players.
Fair criticisms.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
It's sooooo hard to consistently score points when you don't run an offense. What is our offensive philosophy other than to swing the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock gets to 10 and then let someone freelance?

Reaction Score
And we can't blame Hobbs...

Our coaching staff has developed an uncanny ability to look completely bewildered at the slightest hint of ineffectiveness on the floor - not an inspiring or productive trait. Further, Glen Miller's 1000 yard stare is starting to really bother me.

Reaction Score
I must admit that the old me would have been completely worked up over this loss. The effort was that pathetic. The result was that embarrassing. Sadly, though, I am not surprised by last nights game. Even worse, I am not even upset. Instead, I am numb. Realignment and life as an outsider emptied the remaining passion I had for college sports. Last night was not just an unbelievable loss to a school like Wagner. Last night was foreshadowing of a new norm. UConn was left out of the P5. The discussion of UConn Mens Basketball as a national brand, a "blue blood", or best yet, the college basketball capital of the world, is a thing of the past. Be thankful you were a diehard fan during that run. The magic created during those 25 years should last most of us a lifetime. It was that special. Last night, last year, last whatever, looked nothing like the UConn I was so passionate about.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
KO always has bizarre rotations (at least until February) and has never been a particularly good offensive coach. I almost would probably rather see a more rigid offensive system - I think its hard to just roll the ball out and run bland pNr and motion offenses without NBA players but I do think Jalen and Alterique will thrive as the season progresses in this scheme.

He treats it too much like the NBA. Always has.

Reaction Score
Problem is that when he went away from Brimah, Enoch was a bigger disaster. Gave us nothing more than Brimah with the added bonus of less defense.
I actually thought Enoch played hard. Couldn't get hit looks to fall, but he was running the court, boxing out, and had a nice block. But he took a jumper and it seemed that he was in the doghouse from then on. I would have actually liked to see more of him.

Reaction Score
Same script from KO and staff... Yes, they let the game get perilously close to being out of hand before taking a timeout. Nothing said at half time changed anything. Lack of emotion on the bench just not a good tv shot and doesn't acknowledge that you know your fans are watching. Lack of perimeter defense because you have to hedge off 3pt shooters to defend a 6'6' guy that Brimah is guarding is ridiculous. Then doing nothing about it and allowing it to happen again and again while you have a puzzled look on your face is mind boggling. Not bring in CV earlier in the 2nd half and Jackson who were on the floor in the 1st half when we came back well. . . We've watch RP have to many of these type of games or minutes in games to allow him to stay on the floor. We have other guards who should be pushing him for minutes if he isn't ready to play. Brimah being useless on the offensive end.

Changes need to happen and they need to come from this coach now. Yes the youngins deserve time to grow but these upper classmen should get know leeway.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I have to wonder what in the hell we did this off season. I've seen pick up basketball look better.

Reaction Score
Still don't understand the hype year in and year out with Purvis.. he can't dribble, inconsistent shot, disappears for minutes on end and just seems stagnant (like the rest of our offense) on the court. He plays solid D but a part from that can you guys finally see why he wasn't pre season anything? STINKS

Reaction Score
Still don't understand the hype year in and year out with Purvis.. he can't dribble, inconsistent shot, disappears for minutes on end and just seems stagnant (like the rest of our offense) on the court. He plays solid D but a part from that can you guys finally see why he wasn't pre season anything? STINKS

I think stinks is a bit harsh. He is like others we have had here the past few years - serviceable but overrated.

Reaction Score
In watching the game yesterday what I noticed other than that UConn was not assisting many baskets and seemed to be turning the ball over was the following:
  1. The team didn't make a concerted effort it seemed to get the ball inside to the bigs. I'm not sure why given that we had a size advantage across the front line. I would have been pounding it inside the whole game. We never seem to do that anymore. I understand our bigs aren't great offensive weapons but if we don't ever get them the ball in the paint they will rarely score baskets for us.
  2. The three guard lineup with Alterique in and Larrier at the 4 seems to leave Purvis out in a cold a little bit. While I can see this lineup being explosive when we want to run it seemed to sort of push him out of his normal spots in the half court offense.
  3. If we were trying to run I would have thought we would have pressed and trapped more to try to get some turnovers to push the tempo.
  4. Again the offensive execution was...offensive. Nobody seemed to know what they should be doing.
  5. Larrier plays a little out of control at times but he is a stud.
  6. Gilbert had a really nice floor game and is great driving the basket.
Not a great start to be sure, but I'm not ready to order my NIT tickets just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom