Sam Cassell, Jr. graduating and transferring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sam Cassell, Jr. graduating and transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Updated scholarship grid for those interested:
Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 3.35.54 PM.png

Reaction Score
I'd never turn down a transfer but I think we have good depth even if we don't get one. Gilbert, Adams, Purvis at guard. Jackson, Larrier, Hamilton, Diarra, and Facey at forward. Then Brimah and Enoch at center. This is assuming Durham redshirts.
Wrong. We need another guard desperately now. I'm confident we'll land someone who can come in and contribute, though.

Reaction Score
I'd never turn down a transfer but I think we have good depth even if we don't get one. Gilbert, Adams, Purvis at guard. Jackson, Larrier, Hamilton, Diarra, and Facey at forward. Then Brimah and Enoch at center. This is assuming Durham redshirts.
We need another guard, I expect we will fill the scholarships with another guard and a power forward type. Ollie also said in his most recent remarks he expects Durham to play next season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Best of luck Sam in whatever the future brings
I appreciate the fact that you held your head high and was a complete team player.
I am proud, as I am sure your family is, of your UConn degree - above basketball that is something that will help you in life.
While you may not have been satisfied with your basketball playing time at UConn I am sure you forged many friendships and you always seem to be upbeat.
This is a great win/win story for you, your family and UConn.
Thanks Sam

Reaction Score
Starting to greedily look forward to the transfer musical chair game this summer.

Rebounder and back-up point with, at least, excellent ball control skills. Please.
A player like Anthony Collins, who transferred from South Florida to Texas A&M for his post grad year would be great

Reaction Score
They mentioned a few times that he was dealing with shin splints, so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that that was the cause of his struggles. He showed flashes at times in the early seasons, but dealt with injuries. Seems like a good kid, and I wish him luck.

Reaction Score
Damn kid just announces his future after graduation and we immediately move on talking transfers and recruits and actually naming replacements.

Can we take a moment and celebrate the graduation a UConn student athlete who happened to play on our basketball team?!

That cap and gown he will be wearing alone is a reason to celebrate and congratulate him. Kid did not waste his time here regardless of what happened on the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Damn kid just announces his future after graduation and we immediately move on talking transfers and recruits and actually naming replacements.

Can we take a moment on celebrating the graduation a UConn student athlete who happened to play on our basketball team?!

That cap and gown he will be wearing alone is a reason to celebrate and congratulate him. Kid did not waste his time here regardless of what happened on the court.
could not agree more.

Reaction Score
The possibility that could come up is that he's graduating and may choose to start his pro career overseas now rather than bother with grad school.

Oz has said theres still a possibility Purvis leaves. Doesn't quite believe his quote a month ago that the was coming back for his senior year

Reaction Score
Really, really need another ball handler. Adams, Purvis and Gilbert are our only true backcourt guys. We are an injury or foul trouble away from having zero depth back there.

I think a guy like Jackson will be strictly on the wing as a catch-and-shoot guy with Hamilton & Larrier. Brimah, Enoch, Facey, Durham and Diarra inside.

Re: Durham, Ollie said on the radio last week that he expects him to be ready in November.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Sam Jr for graduating
& Best of Luck in the future.
Thanks Art! Now that he is no longer actively on the roster, what's stopping him from reading our responses? If he stops by this is a welcome/appreciative and nice parting response. That was my only point.

To me the solution is for someone should start a new thread about his replacement.

Reaction Score
Really, really need another ball handler. Adams, Purvis and Gilbert are our only true backcourt guys. We are an injury or foul trouble away from having zero depth back there.

I think a guy like Jackson will be strictly on the wing as a catch-and-shoot guy with Hamilton & Larrier. Brimah, Enoch, Facey, Durham and Diarra inside.

Re: Durham, Ollie said on the radio last week that he expects him to be ready in November.
Hamilton has a better handle than Rodney. I expect it to be even tighter next season if he's still here.

Reaction Score
1. Yes, Sam was our 4th guard, but if he was playing because of injuries or foul trouble he wasn't going to be helping us anyway.

2. Denham Brown his Sr. year was playing 15 minutes a game at off guard, and that team was a Top 5 team all year. Hamilton handles and passes the ball as well (at least) as Denham did. If he has to play some at the 2 this year, there is no reason to think he couldn't help us there as much as Sam could anyway.

Good luck to Mr. Cassell in his next endeavors, whatever he decides to do from here.

Reaction Score
The possibility that could come up is that he's graduating and may choose to start his pro career overseas now rather than bother with grad school.

Fair enough, although I don't think it's THAT farfetched to say he could maybe squeak into the 2nd round with an All-Conference level season next year. He still has a lot to work on and it's not like his stock could really take a hit. Low risk, high reward coming back. But if he wants the Euros, by all means he can go get the Euros.

Reaction Score
Hamilton has a better handle than Rodney. I expect it to be even tighter next season if he's still here.

Agreed, it's better by a fair margin, but we aren't going to be playing Hamilton at the 2 next year.

Reaction Score
I know im looking way too far ahead but if we can get Hamidou and MAL next year. We can have Jalen, Gilbert, Hamidou, and MAL Guard position would be the most stack its ever been in UConn History

Reaction Score
A player like Anthony Collins, who transferred from South Florida to Texas A&M for his post grad year would be great

I get the thought but his game never got better, he was a great ball handler and decent defender but in the end, dribble too much and couldn't shoot at all. We need to do better than that even.

Reaction Score
I know im looking way too far ahead but if we can get Hamidou and MAL next year. We can have Jalen, Gilbert, Hamidou, and MAL Guard position would be the most stack its ever been in UConn History

Yes, you are looking way ahead.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Not sure if it has any impact on his decision, but pretty sure they were close. Actually seems like everyone on this team is pretty close to one another, more so than teams in the past.

I think Cassell is DHam's closest friend on the team. So his departure might affect DHam more than Purv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom