Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
If it went down as they claim, want else could they do?
Exactly the question the parents probably asked themselves. Instead, they should have been asking a different question. By going to the media, what good is this doing for their son or their family? Do they feel better about themselves for trashing UCONN? Maybe they get a sympathy scholarship offer from another school... and that's a big maybe. Instead of simply calling schools and letting them know he's decommitted, they go to the media and trash UCONN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So we should keep a kid who barely can get an FCS offer on our roster for 4-5 years with a scholarship because it might garner a day's worth of press if we drop his scholarship while staying far within the bounds of NCAA rules?

We will likely have xtra ships this year. You don't have the renew his ship next year or he transfers. I don't care about the press, I am concerned about the coaches in NJ.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
We will likely have xtra ships this year. You don't have the renew his ship next year or he transfers. I don't care about the press, I am concerned about the coaches in NJ.

And you think somehow they would be unlikely to be even further upset at the kid being processed after a year?

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That would be diabolical if Diaco ordered the Code Red.
Caffery: Coach Diaco, did you order the Code Red?

1288488164212203663.jpg

"You're damn right I did"

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I'll have to watch A Few Good Men again, but are we sure Nicholson didn't order a code "Nantucket Red"?

It's Diaco, he'd probably say "You're Gosh Darn right I....hey, did I ever tell you about making sauce? Building a team is like....."

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It speaks volumes about what Benedict thought of Diaco's recruiting that he didn't make Edsall honor all the accepted offers.
Does anyone else think Benedict had Randy evaluate the incoming class before BD got canned, just to get his thoughts on the state of recruiting?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Here is an excerpt from the article last summer when Dickens committed to UConn. This may shed light on why this was brought to the press and made a bid deal out of--I have bolded the relevant parts:

But the biggest resource that helped Dickens with his collegiate decision was his relationship with Raritan alumnus and New York Giants safety Bennett Jackson, who he now has multiple ties to.

"I'm very close with Bennett Jackson," said Dickens. "He has been kind of a mentor for me throughout the whole process. He actually played for Coach Diaco as well when he was at Notre Dame."

Jackson graduated from Raritan in 2010, before ascending to Notre Dame, where he played until 2013, accumulating 64 tackles, including five for loss, one sack, one forced fumble, two interceptions and three pass breakups as a senior.

He was then drafted by the Giants with the 187th pick in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

"Once I picked up the first offer, everybody wanted me to commit right away," said Dickens. "But Bennett gave me valuable information about coach Diaco and the whole staff, and how honest they all are. And he was just like a very big help to me. And it was great getting information from someone who had already been through it all."

Reaction Score
Matt S. needs to shut it down. Things have been embarrassing on his twitter since BD left

What is with his obsession with the commits? Of all the questions he could've asked during Edsall's presser he asked if he would honor the verbal commits. Very weird.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Minor point in the Randy hatchet jobs going around but every dumb commenter neglects to acknowledge that we only just hired a DC a few days ago. Randy as HC had to be the bearer of bad news but it's ridiculous that people think a brand new DC isn't allowed to make his own recruit evaluations.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Finebaum is amazing that he fluffs Alabama and can say this garbage with a straight face.

Average people like him are going to look at UConn and think much less of them.

These idiots are now talking up his film and pretending that he doesn't have a Rhode Island offer.

Finebaum doubles down bashing Edsall on how he left and saying he didn't deserve a second chance at UConn.

'Just let the guy play'.

Yeah Pawllll. That's how they do it in the SEC.

Edsall is a child per Pawwlll.

Now they are talking about how the rules are unfair to the players... yeah that's Edsall and UConn's fault.

Finebaum wouldn't play for Edsall. Good thing we dont have a scholarship for the nerdy accountant who fluffs Nick Saban open - we couldn't land him.

They are claiming that the schools need to honor verbal committments - my God this has to end so I can preserve some brain cells.

Reaction Score
Finebaum is amazing that he fluffs Alabama and can say this garbage with a straight face.

Average people like him are going to look at UConn and think much less of them.

These idiots are now talking up his film and pretending that he doesn't have a Rhode Island offer.

Finebaum doubles down bashing Edsall on how he left and saying he didn't deserve a second chance at UConn.

'Just let the guy play'.

Yeah Pawllll. That's how they do it in the SEC.

Edsall is a child per Pawwlll.

Now they are talking about how the rules are unfair to the players... yeah that's Edsall and UConn's fault.

Finebaum wouldn't play for Edsall. Good thing we dont have a scholarship for the nerdy accountant who fluffs Nick Saban open - we couldn't land him.

They are claiming that the schools need to honor verbal committments - my God this has to end so I can preserve some brain cells.

People really need to light this mother f'er up on twitter.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What is with his obsession with the commits? Of all the questions he could've asked during Edsall's presser he asked if he would honor the verbal commits. Very weird.

I think it's more that he recognized a need and pursued it. No one was covering recruits really, and he took advantage of that. In order to gain close access as a freelance blogger, he has to be especially conscious of developing a trusting relationship with recruits--that means defending them very vocally. It's smart insofar as a continued relationship with recruits goes, but sometimes hurts his relationship with the fans who actually consume the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom