Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

file this under things that don't make sense

Reaction Score
And local high school coaches. And every school recruiting against us . . .

It's now made the front page at cnn.com.

Do you really think that any coach worth his weight, hasn't seen this happen many times before? It's not new and it's not 3 days before signing day. It's a non story.

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry‏@MattSchonvisky
On #UConnFootball recruiting-I spoke w/@ryan_Dickens33 yesterday AM & he didn't want this info to be made public-he's not quoted in article

He didn't run to the press & make this a story.

responses to his tweets:
‏@AB670 13m13 minutes ago
@MattSchonvisky Well it happened Matt...his HS coach & his mother were quoted in the article as well. There is 1 side of this story out

Brian A‏@BriUConn
@MattSchonvisky well his parents and coach sure did!

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Twitter has been off the hook with this. Like I said, we will survive the story. This board should keep a low profile and not disparage the kid and his family. They're understandably upset, but this happens in recruiting.

Disagree.

If we are going to get kicked around by idiots for doing what every legitimate program in the country does why should we stand by passively and take it?

We had to damage our athletic department to the tune of 3.4 million to get rid of the worst coach in the country.

This isn't Pop Warner and I'm glad we finally have Dave and a staff that agree.

Reaction Score
At first I was a little sympathetic. Not anymore. The only reason the kid and his family went to the media was to try and slander UCONN. He got his feelings hurt so his mommy and daddy lash out and try to hurt UCONN by going to the New Jersey media. No sympathy left. Next...
If it went down as they claim, want else could they do?

arch

Reaction Score
The "university" does not have a word to keep until the LOI is signed. Until that point it's the verbal word of the coach - the coach who is no longer employed here.
One of us is talking about NCAA legalities (binding commitments).
One of us is talking about institutional integrity (commitment).
I think the coaches word is the institutions word. The institution failed to honor its word. That is sad.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Reaction Score
This kid wouldn't have even seen the field. He should just realize that his best opportunity is elsewhere. He probably would have ended up transferring anyway. Diaco probably fed him and his family some whacko talk that Diaco speaks and the family ate it all up.

Reaction Score
Disagree.

If we are going to get kicked around by idiots for doing what every legitimate program in the country does why should we stand by passively and take it?

We had to damage our athletic department to the tune of 3.4 million to get rid of the worst coach in the country.

This isn't Pop Warner and I'm glad we finally have Dave and a staff that agree.
There is nothing to be gained by "yelling the kid isn't good enough." His offers speak for themselves.

There is a story like this every year. We're 3 weeks from signing day and just got our DC 3 days ago. UCONN did nothing wrong, but I understand why they're pissed. They had the college situation all planned out and are now starting from scratch.

These things go away on their own.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
It makes perfect sense

if he didn't want it out there then presumably its his parents that put it out there. Makes no sense to me why they would try to do that to him if he didn't want it out there

Reaction Score
I love it. We are back. F nj.com. F New Jersey. F Diaco F Finebaum. F Buster Olney. F the NCAA.

F 6 losing seasons led by losers.

Athletic Director Dave. Making UConn Football Great Again.

I AM NOT HERE.

But ... I do believe that somewhere between the HCRE and Jon Wholley visit that we went off the path. It might be tape and evaluation. Most likely we got a very strange vibe.

I would say that you risk the relationship with 10 other Guys when you do this. I do not think this is Randy Edall MO at all in the last 18 years. Just a weird sequence. We have lots of opening in scholarships coming. There is something to this story.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
if he didn't want it out there then presumably its his parents that put it out there. Makes no sense to me why they would try to do that to him if he didn't want it out there

It makes perfect sense that you put it out there and then claim you didn't.

Reaction Score
There is no need to bash the kid, the media however can off they dont care about the kid they feed off negative press to fit their own agenda. No coach is perfect but Edsall did the right thing its time to move on from this.

Reaction Score
On #UConnFootball recruiting-I spoke w/@ryan_Dickens33 yesterday AM & he didn't want this info to be made public-he's not quoted in article

He didn't run to the press & make this a story.

His mother and coach are quoted in the article. I understand why they are upset, but, in the long run, he will be happier. Would he want to go to a school in which his football talents don't fit the scheme and leave after a year or two or would he rather find a better fit now?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
One of us is talking about NCAA legalities (binding commitments).
One of us is talking about institutional integrity (commitment).
I think the coaches word is the institutions word. The institution failed to honor its word. That is sad.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Dear Lord, I wish we had a Downvote function. The "Institution" did not make any promises. A former employee did. Edsall did right to let this kid know 3 weeks before signing day that he wasn't a fit.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I AM NOT HERE.

But ... I do believe that somewhere between the HCRE and Jon Wholley visit that we went off the path. It might be tape and evaluation. Most likely we got a very strange vibe.

I would say that you risk the relationship with 10 other Guys when you do this. I do not think this is Randy Edall MO at all in the last 18 years. Just a weird sequence. We have lots of opening in scholarships coming. There is something to this story.

It must have been when Wholley showed up at Dicken's house and Ryan and his whole family was wearing cranberry-red pants, t-shirts that said "RKG" on them, and they were lighting their holy candles under the mantle that contained a 20 x 30 framed portrait of Bob Diaco. Then when Wholley asked Ryan about potentially serving on the punt return team in year 1, Ryan replied "Punt Return, what is this crazy thing you speak of? Punt Return?"

We may be dealing with Stockholm Syndrom here! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown