Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I could understand the emotional heat of the moment part of the kid, his parents and coaches but its a cut throat business, Edsall has to do what he has to do. The situation could have been handled better but it also could have been worse. This stuff happens all the time, in High School, College and the NFL, the kid and his parents and coaches will have to get over it. The media can go F themselves. Edsall isn't here to win people over he's here to win, he has a lot of work to do lets get it done.

Reaction Score
So if this happened last Friday instead we had reason to think the story plays out substantially differently? Come on.

This is a non-story. Paul Finebaum of all folks knows it's a non-story. If it happened to break on a day that there is literally nothing else for anyone to talk about, that's just bad luck.

I will say this though -- if I were an AD or head coach, I would go nowhere near coach Brown, if I can't count on him to avoid causing trouble on his way out.

We ain't Alabama or Auburn.

We are talking about a kid who could go to Cornell. WHO KNOWS what the story is ... and we know that this is not that typical of Edsall.

Reaction Score
Reportedly, only days ago HCRE sent a coach to his house to talk to the kid about the upcoming events. Even discounting HCRE's call it seems the player had every justification to believe the University of Connecticut would keep its word. It didn't.

It's hard to understand the use of bad behavior by some young people (reneging on verbals) as an excuse for bad behavior (reneging on scholarship offers) by our state's flagship university.
The thing is, reneging on verbal offers is part of the process as laid out by the NCAA. If the NCAA allowed teams to offer scholarships and sign letters of intent right away, this example does not occur. For what it's worth, this kind of thing happens ALL THE TIME in college hockey. Players reneg on verbal commitments to go play in Canada or at another school with very high frequency.

Reaction Score
Reportedly, only days ago HCRE sent a coach to his house to talk to the kid about the upcoming events. Even discounting HCRE's call it seems the player had every justification to believe the University of Connecticut would keep its word. It didn't.

It's hard to understand the use of bad behavior by some young people (reneging on verbals) as an excuse for bad behavior (reneging on scholarship offers) by our state's flagship university.

Look -- I said that my preference would have been to make Edsall honor the commitments of those who already verballed.

BUT the facts are that NCAA rules are that no commitments can be binding -- by ether side -- until signing day. And that you have no clue what Wholley said to him at his house. For all you know, Wholly was telling him wat he could and asking him to be patient. And the kid misinterpreted that as "I'm still fine."

It's fine to wish the school honored the verbal, but to pretend this is a big deal when it's what the NCAA rules want -- that no one be committed prior to February or their senior year -- is over the top.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
You know what, this is BS. Screw this kid and his whiny ass HS coach for turning this into some big sob story. If the media wants to make a story out of this, go bash Harbaugh or find any of the kids from the South who come from families of no means that get screwed over by this process. There was a damned coaching change and scheme change. This is so emblamatic of why Trump was so able to just tell America that the media is all biased liars.

Reaction Score
We ain't Alabama or Auburn.

We are talking about a kid who could go to Cornell. WHO KNOWS what the story is ... and we know that this is not that typical of Edsall.

I have said that. Not for a moment do I believe Edsall flat out lied to the kid. It's not his way and he had no reason to -- the kid had no other offers anyway. All Edsall had to do was say "we're looking at the recuriting situation and I need a week or two to tell you where I stand."

Reaction Score
You know what, this is BS. Screw this kid and his whiny ass HS coach for turning this into some big sob story. If the media wants to make a story out of this, go bash Harbaugh or find any of the kids from the South who come from families of no means that get screwed over by this process. There was a damned coaching change and scheme change. This is so emblamatic of why Trump was so able to just tell America that the media is all biased liars.

You may get bashed for this post, but you're not wrong.

Reaction Score
Look -- I said that my preference would have been to make Edsall honor the commitments of those who already verballed.

BUT the facts are that NCAA rules are that no commitments can be binding -- by ether side -- until signing day. And that you have no clue what Wholley said to him at his house. For all you know, Wholly was telling him wat he could and asking him to be patient. And the kid misinterpreted that as "I'm still fine."

It's fine to wish the school honored the verbal, but to pretend this is a big deal when it's what the NCAA rules want -- that no one be committed prior to February or their senior year -- is over the top.

It could be that Wholley or whoever was just making the rounds. They may have been reconsidering at that moment. Transitions are transitions. Being in a state of flux they probably should have not visited.

I'd be livid if it were me. But it's done now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It is about time this program stopped being such a joke.

These same people in the media mock our program when it's getting it's teeth kicked in by Tulane now have a problem when our staff finally has the nutz to go out and recruit football players instead of wrestling captains and Eagle Scouts

Good.

I had a problem the last 6 years watching losers hand out FBS/AAC offers to Patriot League players after getting their teeth kicked in by schools like Temple. Temple! Pathetic!

I know it's going to take some time for the results but I'd leave for the Holy Cross game now and camp in the parking lot until game day if I didn't have a family.

Reaction Score
I love it. We are back. F nj.com. F New Jersey. F Diaco F Finebaum. F Buster Olney. F the NCAA.

F 6 losing seasons led by losers.

Athletic Director Dave. Making UConn Football Great Again.

Patriotic Husky.jpg

arch

Reaction Score

OK. It's not a big deal when our university fails to keep its word.
OK. I'm "over the top" for wishing our state university would keep its word.
OK. Wholly traveled to NJ to tell the young man that he couldn't tell him anything.
I get it, no integrity, no biggie.

Reaction Score
It could be that Wholley or whoever was just making the rounds. They may have been reconsidering at that moment. Transitions are transitions. Being in a state of flux they probably should have not visited.

I'd be livid if it were me. But it's done now.
He has a right to be upset about it, but he also has to understand the circumstances and the NCAA rules regarding the situation. The school's verbal commitment of a scholarship is NOT binding, nor is his verbal commitment to the school. If his story of what Randy & staff said to him is 100% true it's a case of the staff could've handled the situation more appropriately, but are completely within their right to revoke the scholarship.

Reaction Score
It is about time this program stopped being such a joke.

These same people in the media mock our program when it's getting it's teeth kicked in by Tulane now have a problem when our staff finally has the nutz to go out and recruit football players instead of wrestling captains and Eagle Scouts

Good.

I had a problem the last 6 years watching losers hand out FBS/AAC offers to Patriot League players after getting their teeth kicked in by schools like Temple. Temple! Pathetic!

I know it's going to take some time for the results but I'd leave for Holy Cross now and camp in the parking lot until game day if I didn't have a family.

Tell your family the NCAA rules are that neither side can make a binding commitment until signing day, so you're moving on.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The most pathetic part of this...Rutgers and Penn State fans are now tweeting Chris Ash and James Franklin begging them to offer him a scholarship.

Not to pull a Chief, but these "casual" fans are so utterly clueless.

Reaction Score
OK. Wholly traveled to NJ to tell the young man that he couldn't tell him anything.
The "university" does not have a word to keep until the LOI is signed. Until that point it's the verbal word of the coach - the coach who is no longer employed here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

BOB DIACO IS NOT OUR STATE UNIVERSITY.

You can follow 'integrity' Bob to Nebraska and watch him help ruin that program next.

Reaction Score

No -- it's not over the top to wish the university kept it's word. You seem to keep ignoring that I agree with you on this. But it's over the top that you keep repeating your point without mentioning that what Edsall did was within both the letter AND THE SPIRIT of NCAA rules and is absolutely consistent with how FBS football works where most new coaches are not forced by their schools to honor verbals given to the former coach.

Not to mention, it's just assinine to take one side's word for how discussions evolved when the other side is prohibited by rule from discussing them. You want to draw conclusions from one side's story -- go ahead. But don't pretend that's fair or rational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom