Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Ryan Dickens Article Critical of UConn Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not how UConn should conduct its business. Totally unacceptable and reflects poorly on the ethical values of the school. This is part and parcel of RE's personality flaw - inability to understand loyalty and commitment. You take the kid and make the best of it.
No, you do not have to take the kid. What you can do is, if this story is true, be more upfront with him about the situation and not lead him on. We only know one side of the story on the timeline though. But Edsall is not at all morally required to honor the verbal commitments to players made by Diaco, especially if those kids are just as able to renege on their verbal commitments.

Reaction Score
Does it make me a bad person that this was my first thought as well?

We want to look "big time", right? What's more big time than telling a borderline recruit that they're not good enough for our program?

That said, I do feel bad for the kid and agree with others that this also reflects badly on Diaco for handing out scholarship offers like they're Halloween candy to kids who nobody else thinks can play at this level.

Yes, but if, as the parents indicate, we misled the kid up until now then I have a problem with it, and the criticism is warranted. I can't make that judgement without knowing how much of their version is embellished.

Reaction Score
Does it make me a bad person that this was my first thought as well?

We want to look "big time", right? What's more big time than telling a borderline recruit that they're not good enough for our program?

That said, I do feel bad for the kid and agree with others that this also reflects badly on Diaco for handing out scholarship offers like they're Halloween candy to kids who nobody else thinks can play at this level.
That's just the thing, this kid doesn't appear borderline. Again, this isn't meant to spite him, but if his best offers are/were Monmouth and URI then it's pretty apparent he isn't a borderline FBS recruit. If JMU and North Dakota State came running after this kid, that'd be borderline territory.

Reaction Score
That's just the thing, this kid doesn't appear borderline. Again, this isn't meant to spite him, but if his best offers are/were Monmouth and URI then it's pretty apparent he isn't a borderline FBS recruit. If JMU and North Dakota State came running after this kid, that'd be borderline territory.
His offers were Cornell, Monmouth, URI, UConn...like you said not even a borderline recruit at LB.

Reaction Score
Folks here want to both ways - want to be considered a major program when it benefits them and wants to be less than that when it doesn't fit the preferred narrative.

This place is a comedy gold mine.

Reaction Score
Yes, but if, as the parents indicate, we misled the kid up until now then I have a problem with it, and the criticism is warranted. I can't make that judgement without knowing how much of their version is embellished.
Maybe Edsall finally got around to watching videos and was horrified. So his job with the Lions hurt our image already. A little.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
"Ruthlessly" pulled away the scholarship. Hyperbole much?

The 'morality' of this hinges on the exact assurance that HCRE gave to the kid on that New Year's phone call. If he did promise him a spot, then Edsall should be rightfully roasted. Since we'll never know what HCRE said, we'll just get roasted in the court of public opinion with no recourse to defend ourselves.

The one thing that does kind of piss me off is how they keep highlighting everything about the kid, except his football skills and whether they merit inclusion on the FBS level. I hate to pile on the kid on what has to be a terrible day for him, but by the same token, it's pretty disingenuous to just sit back and say they screwed him for no reason.

Reaction Score
They were excoriated, especially by commentator Paul Fineman. Fineman went on to say that he would recommend a recruit not to play for Edsall. He definitely has an ax to grind with Edsell.

Finebaum?

Reaction Score
Folks here want to both ways - want to be considered a major program when it benefits them and wants to be less than that when it doesn't fit the preferred narrative.

This place is a comedy gold mine.

It's not "folks here". It's folks on the outside, and perception matters. This will be used against us, and it's right to question whether the fallout was worth it. There are plenty of people out there who think that Randy Edsall is a bit of a . He just gave them more ammunition.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And now the brain-dead are out in full force...

Dozens of people claiming Edsall deserves to be fired for this. "Scumbag of the century" and other garbage. Getting a few threats of violence too. Who knew so many football fans were mentally unbalanced?

Reaction Score
What a complete and utter disaster! Diaco's parting shot at UConn football! I will say this about the issue...the act that it took Edsall some time to hire his DC doesn't help things..like I said earlier it could have been Crocker's call and with no other place for him to play (I don't think they would stack up on 2 long snapper's) it was time to cut ties.

Reaction Score
Gees...

BarstoolUCONN (@UCONNBarstool)
1/17/17, 2:09 PM
Randy Edsalls First Move at UConn-Call A Kid Who Committed 7 Months Ago To Pull His Offer 2 Weeks Before Signing Day barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/rand… pic.twitter.com/8FqQjGvlBe

Reaction Score
What a complete and utter disaster! Diaco's parting shot at UConn football! I will say this about the issue...the act that it took Edsall some time to hire his DC doesn't help things..like I said earlier it could have been Crocker's call and with no other place for him to play (I don't think they would stack up on 2 long snapper's) it was time to cut ties.

So if this happened last Friday instead we had reason to think the story plays out substantially differently? Come on.

This is a non-story. Paul Finebaum of all folks knows it's a non-story. If it happened to break on a day that there is literally nothing else for anyone to talk about, that's just bad luck.

I will say this though -- if I were an AD or head coach, I would go nowhere near coach Brown, if I can't count on him to avoid causing trouble on his way out.

Reaction Score
This is also a 1st for Edsall at UConn. He is walking into a situation where there are kids committed who may not be a fit for his program.

The board should probably tread lightly and not be to hard on the kid and his parents. They are definitely getting the worst end of this at the moment. We will survive a little bad press over this.

I think we have no idea what this is about ... and the newspaper weighed in with that big unknown.

He may have just tipped the process wrong. These are two entirely different stages of the process. Dickens was evaluated by guys no longer near the Shenkman. We do have scholarships ... and he had some accomplishment. With that said, something turned. And no one should be surprised that two total strangers didn't quite connect. It could be a lot of things.

Given what we saw in Edsall ... this is unusual. This could be something far more than looking at tapes.

Reaction Score
I can admit that this is a bad look, but at the same time it must mean that the class is getting full if we have to resort to pulling a scholarship.

This is one of those things that will work out in the end. Dickens might always hate UConn, but at least he will see the field playing in the CAA or the Patriot League. That's still a pretty high level in this sport.

arch

Reaction Score
Reportedly, only days ago HCRE sent a coach to his house to talk to the kid about the upcoming events. Even discounting HCRE's call it seems the player had every justification to believe the University of Connecticut would keep its word. It didn't.

It's hard to understand the use of bad behavior by some young people (reneging on verbals) as an excuse for bad behavior (reneging on scholarship offers) by our state's flagship university.

Reaction Score
So if this happened last Friday instead we had reason to think the story plays out substantially differently? Come on.

This is a non-story. Paul Finebaum of all folks knows it's a non-story. If it happened to break on a day that there is literally nothing else for anyone to talk about, that's just bad luck.

I will say this though -- if I were an AD or head coach, I would go nowhere near coach Brown, if I can't count on him to avoid causing trouble on his way out.
Check your inbox...

Reaction Score
I think we have no idea what this is about ... and the newspaper weighed in with that big unknown.

He may have just tipped the process wrong. These are two entirely different stages of the process. Dickens was evaluated by guys no longer near the Shenkman. We do have scholarships ... and he had some accomplishment. With that said, something turned. And no one should be surprised that two total strangers didn't quite connect. It could be a lot of things.

Given what we saw in Edsall ... this is unusual. This could be something far more than looking at tapes.

If I thought my kid was sitting on a full ride, and the coaches suddenly and unexpectedly changed I would be beating down doors to get a firm yes or no. Anything short of that, I would be calling every other suitor letting them know that he may be back in play.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
And now the brain-dead are out in full force...

Dozens of people claiming Edsall deserves to be fired for this. "Scumbag of the century" and other garbage. Getting a few threats of violence too. Who knew so many football fans were mentally unbalanced?

Have you read any courant aritcle comments lately? This seems to be the same crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom