Rumors Again Surfacing - Magic wants Ollie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rumors Again Surfacing - Magic wants Ollie

Reaction Score
Poor baby. Then go someplace where nobody care or knows who the coach is. ECU or someplace

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, your boy Shaka Smart who you were beating the drum for has Texas sitting pretty at 10-19.

That's always the reason why I don't understand the big time Ollie bashers who want him gone - who are you going to replace him with right now?

I don't think he's done a particularly good job the last 3 seasons, but I think he's still the man for the job and that he's only going to get better. That doesn't mean I don't find fault with some things he does or says.

It always comes back to, who the hell do you think we could get to replace him? And while that isn't exactly the most ringing endorsement of a coach, it is very much rooted in the reality of the argument.

Reaction Score
Kind of where i'm at ^^^

My concerns are with the repeat things that are kind of becoming a-symptomatic of Ollie teams.

That being said -

-Probation
-Recruiting without restrictions has been fruitful and the conference hasn't (at least so far) hindered his ability to get top/UConn caliber talent.
-When it looked like we were going to turn the corner, half the roster got injured and some particularly important pieces.
-Our upperclassmen aren't very good. Our freshmen are.... freshmen.

The things I don't like:
-The offense doesn't always seem to fit the talent
-Huge lapses of time where the team just shuts off completely
-Teams that are something south of self-starters

I've def. got another season or two left in me of him continuing to build this thing. I was HOPING next year would be the year we'd make a huge step forward back into the title picture, but that looks like that might be 2-3 years off. The tricky part is the Big East money drying up, conference instability and how many bland seasons the program can take before we start taking huge hits to recruiting and that not happening faster than Ollie can turn the team around. Good or bad, it's the boat we're in and a change isn't going to well, change those circumstances.

Reaction Score
I know you guys will get mad but the fact is that Ollie is at best an average college coach with a pro outlook. After all this time he still doesn't get that it ain't an82 game schedule and you have to win in November as well as March. He is not a sound tactical coach, still doesn't know how to call time outs, make strategic substitutions and he doesn't have the type of sophisticated offense most good teams use. He basically runs an NBA offense from the 2000's. There are coaches who could come in and be far more successful. He might well be a very good NBA guy, but he is not anywhere near a top shelf college coach.

You were against Ollie in 2013.

C

Chief00

Why would it make me giddy?

I'm honestly sick of you using this tactic as a shield on here. Whenever you want to target someone you somehow spin it into how much they want KO gone or how they don't really like the program. You are trying to draw an emotional response based on zero substance. It's like going around and saying "you don't like America, and you don't like America...". You are an absolute joke.

I have never once pushed the idea that Kevin Ollie needs to go. And if you are going to sit here and lie to make that your out then we have a major problem.

Yep - that's what stairs does.

C

Chief00

Jalen Carey, who's probably our No. 1 target in 2018. Also Eric Cobb, the 2017 JuCo big man we offered. I think he's involved with Shittu as well, though that's more Ollie's project.

Who's Glen Miller point recruiter for?

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Problem is we probably don't want to start a thread with something an announcer said on air in passing. KO does read the BY and I'm sure he hates to see threads like this here.
You know he reads it for a fact, so what.. he's a big boy and I'm sure he can take it or he wouldn't be our coach

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'd have no problem if he left. Hire JC for one year as an interim while we find the right replacement.
we all know how you and freescooter feel- its been an ongoing theme

H

huskymagic

That's always the reason why I don't understand the big time Ollie bashers who want him gone - who are you going to replace him with right now?

It always comes back to, who the hell do you think we could get to replace him? And while that isn't exactly the most ringing endorsement of a coach, it is very much rooted in the reality of the argument.

The only guy that has everything you look for and who would be the right fit is Gregg Marshall who could be persuaded to take a job at UCONN with a pay raise from 3 mil to 4 or 5 a year and coaching at a higher profile school but not flashy as that's not his style. Problem is the university already extended Ollie's contract by 5 years and 18 million.

PS: Posters worrying about this thread's impact on Ollie's feelings are hilarious. First of all not to worry as Ollie and NBA head coaching gig have become mutually exclusive. No recruit is worried about this anymore and UCONN itself isn't anymore. Even if he leaves to go anywhere, UCONN basketball will be fine and will find someone who will lead UCONN back to glory. Maybe Rip or Ray might want to take over.

Reaction Score

I just don't understand the glee of people who declare "we can't do any better".

Are these people pleased with the idea that KO -- mediocre as he's been lately -- is the best this program can do? They so readily discard the fact that this used to be a top 10 national program that in principle should have been able to lure high-level, proven coaching talent.

Reaction Score
Was watching Lakers game the other night and I swear I heard announcers mention KO name after they said magic Johnson wants to make some changes and offer strong opinions on what player and coaching changes.

Not sure if anyone else heard that?

Sorry but JC gave him the keys....and he's gonna be driving for a long time....KO has an unmatched quiet integrity that is a perfect match for UCONN nation. When he wins, and he does, and will continue....it feels right.
LA LA Land....good lord!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I just don't understand the glee of people who declare "we can't do any better".

Are these people pleased with the idea that KO -- mediocre as he's been lately -- is the best this program can do? They so readily discard the fact that this used to be a top 10 national program that in principle should have been able to lure high-level, proven coaching talent.

My point being, who do you think would come here and leave us with a better long term outlook than Ollie? Ollie has been decidedly mediocre the past 3 seasons but improvement isn't always linear and I still think he can consistently coach a solid start to finish regular season. Who would you replace him with? Right now all I've seen mentioned is the Wichita State coach and who knows if he'd consider leaving there.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score

Mediocre? Are you high? This team has been destroyed by injuries/health. They played a ton of games with 6-7 scholarship players. He's getting a lot from young players like Vital and Jackson. This yr might be his best as a coach. Any team that loses 2.5 (Adams being injured multiple times this yr) of it's top 3 players will struggle.
Ollie won a national title 3 yrs ago!
We get it, he's not Calhoun. I hate to break it to you, but Calhoun wasn't a HOFer right out of the gate either. It's very hard to fill Calhouns shoes, and Ollie has done a GREAT job. I'm sick of this Ollie hate.

Reaction Score
If Ollie did jump back to the NBA it would not surprise me, though admittedly unlikely, to see JC come back for a year or two until they can find a solid coach.

Reaction Score
One thing about it, this is not UConn football. If Ollie leaves, there will be a long line of accomplished coaches willing to come take over this program.
so you're saying Bob Diaco isn't walking through that door?

Reaction Score
If Ollie leaves we could get a guy who would finish 6th in the AAC tomorrow. But there are solid guys out there who would take and remake this program into a winner again. I like the guy at Dayton. I think the guy at Monmouth will be a good one. I'm sure there will be others. I don't love him but the Quinnipiac guy might be ok. We might steal one of the younger Big East guys since UConn will likely pay better.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If Ollie leaves we could get a guy who would finish 6th in the AAC tomorrow. But there are solid guys out there who would take and remake this program into a winner again. I like the guy at Dayton. I think the guy at Monmouth will be a good one. I'm sure there will be others. I don't love him but the Quinnipiac guy might be ok. We might steal one of the younger Big East guys since UConn will likely pay better.

Archie Miller is the top coaching candidate on the market and will be in the ACC or the B1G next year...

As for your assertion that King Rice or Tom Moore could "remake this program into a winner again," I think that's completely full of crap. Hire one of them if you want a year like this year to become the best-case scenario.

Reaction Score
We would probably end up with Wojo or Crean, I would gauge my eyes out.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
If Ollie did jump back to the NBA it would not surprise me, though admittedly unlikely, to see JC come back for a year or two until they can find a solid coach.
I'd take Brad Stevens from the Celtics in a heart beat

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
JC is about to turn 75 and hasn't coached in almost 5 years. The oldest coach in the league is currently Jim Boeheim at 72. Sorry - Calhoun is not walking back through the door. It's best to think about ideas instead of just spouting things that sound good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom