Rumors Again Surfacing - Magic wants Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rumors Again Surfacing - Magic wants Ollie

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
This is the car wash guy, I wouldn't believe anything he says unless he posts proof.
Oh and screw the car wash source, I told him don't want to hear anymore ...

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
One thing about it, this is not UConn football. If Ollie leaves, there will be a long line of accomplished coaches willing to come take over this program.
Can I get an AMEN?!!!!

Reaction Score
Didn't read much of this.

But if NBA teams are still considering Ollie, they realize the great job he's doing with limited recruiting early on, and huge injury problems.

Same with team USA last summer.

Let's all shut it about how much ollie sucks then, yeah?

Not much you can do with those who know little, they'll always be here. It's sad.

I have no problem with those who expect him to tighten some parts of his coaching as he does need to strengthen some weaknesses. Also maybe he needs to change around some staff, get a high end recruiter (I am NOT talking about a big mans coach, just need better big men)? Who knows, but he's the guy I want here and we need him to stay here to get back on track.

Reaction Score
Walton was a big hire and very promising. Only problem is Magic has a reputation of being a bit thick skulled. Is he going to be a Danny Ainge ex-player turned GM or will he be more in the mold of Isaiah Thomas and the Knicks. I personally think he's more of the latter so canning Walton a year in isn't something I'd put past him.
Magic can think what he wants but he doesn't run the Lakers, Jeanie Buss does, and she is not getting rid of Walton. There is a 0% chance Walton is fired this year.

Reaction Score
Not much you can do with those who know little, they'll always be here. It's sad.

I have no problem with those who expect him to tighten some parts of his coaching as he does need to strengthen some weaknesses. Also maybe he needs to change around some staff, get a high end recruiter (I am NOT talking about a big mans coach, just need better big men)? Who knows, but he's the guy I want here and we need him to stay here to get back on track.

Personally, I'm hoping that Killings can be that other high end recruiter. Let's see how he fairs with Louis King and others for 2018 recruiting. Will need to ask others who else Killings is the point man on. King is all I can recall off the top of my head. @Matrim55 ???

I agree a high end big man could do wonders. It may be, once again, our huge weakness next year. Ollie may have gone with the more skilled, less athletic type with Carlton after his results with amida and facey (at least that's what it seems like).

If we continue to take on top 30 guards from down the east coast, we'll be ok 1-3. Especially if we keep that Florida/Georgia pipeline flush

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Magic can think what he wants but he doesn't run the Lakers, Jeanie Buss does, and she is not getting rid of Walton. There is a 0% chance Walton is fired this year.
Is Magic not the PBO and GM officially?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Personally, I'm hoping that Killings can be that other high end recruiter. Let's see how he fairs with Louis King and others for 2018 recruiting. Will need to ask others who else Killings is the point man on. King is all I can recall off the top of my head. @Matrim55 ???
Jalen Carey, who's probably our No. 1 target in 2018. Also Eric Cobb, the 2017 JuCo big man we offered. I think he's involved with Shittu as well, though that's more Ollie's project.

Reaction Score
Is Magic not the PBO and GM officially?
Yes. Jeanie is still his boss and is not going to let him fire a coach who they love after one year. In 2 years maybe.

Reaction Score
Jalen Carey, who's probably our No. 1 target in 2018. Also Eric Cobb, the 2017 JuCo big man we offered. I think he's involved with Shittu as well, though that's more Ollie's project.

They should all be leaving love notes for Shittu every day.

He seems to be our best shot at a high level big since Abdul Malik abu. Would love to have him, and I'm sure most of uconn country agrees.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah good one fool! I wasn't saying he was going, I said I thought I heard them say it. Nice chat

Sorry, you don't get the benefit of the doubt after you obviously strung everyone along last year.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
They should all be leaving love notes for Shittu every day.

He seems to be our best shot at a high level big since Abdul Malik abu. Would love to have him, and I'm sure most of uconn country agrees.
For clarity: Durham was a higher-rated prospect than Abu even after the injuries. Both finished right around #50 overall. After the first ACL injury – when UConn signed him – Durham was still a top-20, 5-star player, then only dropped to the 40s after the second ACL. Zach Brown was also a true 5-star when we signed him (though obviously that worked out even worse).

Shittu is in a different stratosphere as a true top 10 player. He's also grown recently, measuring out at 6-foot-10 with a 7-foot-1 wingspan. We're going to have to beat Duke & UK for him if we want him, so I hope everybody girds their loins.

Reaction Score
For clarity: Durham was a higher-rated prospect than Abu even after the injuries. Both finished right around #50 overall. After the first ACL injury – when UConn signed him – Durham was still a top-20, 5-star player, then only dropped to the 40s after the second ACL. Zach Brown was also a true 5-star when we signed him (though obviously that worked out even worse).

Shittu is in a different stratosphere as a true top 10 player. He's also grown recently, measuring out at 6-foot-10 with a 7-foot-1 wingspan. We're going to have to beat Duke & UK for him if we want him, so I hope everybody girds their loins.

Yeah, I tend to forget Durham. In reality, he's shown some great hops and moves around the basket when given the chance. He just hasn't been able to finish because of size and some tenativeness with those knees. I was terrified when he came into the game against SMU; I didn't want the kid to get broken!

25-30lbs heavier, with the same athleticism with some solid rehab, and we could have a very, very good player on our hands.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Lol @ even the notion of Luke Walton, the hottest young HC candidate last year with legit NBA experience being replaced by Ollie at his lowest value yet. Move along nothing to see here.

Reaction Score
Worthless threads like this should just be deleted. There are ZERO rumors of Ollie replacing Walton.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I like Ollie, and I think he's going to be successful, but right now I have to believe there are scores of candidates more likely to be chosen before him

The NBA is not a breeding ground for coaching prospects

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Sorry, you don't get the benefit of the doubt after you obviously strung everyone along last year.
Get a life dude, I post what I hear like so many others...I don't give a rats a.... what benefit you or anyone gives...

Reaction Score
Worthless threads like this should just be deleted. There are ZERO rumors of Ollie replacing Walton.
Paging Zags Blog.

But He's (Zags) sure he's leaving this time! Maybe he can hit up Makai for reaction with some negatively slanted questions! :)

Reaction Score
I know you guys will get mad but the fact is that Ollie is at best an average college coach with a pro outlook. After all this time he still doesn't get that it ain't an82 game schedule and you have to win in November as well as March. He is not a sound tactical coach, still doesn't know how to call time outs, make strategic substitutions and he doesn't have the type of sophisticated offense most good teams use. He basically runs an NBA offense from the 2000's. There are coaches who could come in and be far more successful. He might well be a very good NBA guy, but he is not anywhere near a top shelf college coach.

Reaction Score
I know you guys will get mad but the fact is that Ollie is at best an average college coach with a pro outlook. After all this time he still doesn't get that it ain't an82 game schedule and you have to win in November as well as March. He is not a sound tactical coach, still doesn't know how to call time outs, make strategic substitutions and he doesn't have the type of sophisticated offense most good teams use. He basically runs an NBA offense from the 2000's. There are coaches who could come in and be far more successful. He might well be a very good NBA guy, but he is not anywhere near a top shelf college coach.
:rolleyes:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'd have no problem if he left. Hire JC for one year as an interim while we find the right replacement.

Reaction Score
Get a life dude, I post what I hear like so many others...I don't give a rats a.... what benefit you or anyone gives...
Problem is we probably don't want to start a thread with something an announcer said on air in passing. KO does read the BY and I'm sure he hates to see threads like this here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom