Rumor from the . | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Rumor from the .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
8 pages deep on a bogus CR thread, can someone post the cliff notes?
kVTe5bn.png

8 pages deep on a bogus CR thread, can someone post the cliff notes?

Reaction Score
His interest in realignment is genuine. He's never claimed to be an "insider", he just works the net hard and does his best to make sense of it.

Best of all, the ACC guys hate him.

Another interesting/genuine/responsible "personality" that it didn't know was hanging out here (until the last couple days) is "KyleSLamb".

So, Kyle... What's your take on UConn to B1G (or elsewhere)?

Sorry, I just now saw this post.

As people might know, I've probably been outspoken about UConn as a possible candidate in Big Ten expansion longer than anyone. I don't have any new insight as to the status, but as of a year ago, the Big Ten was keeping an eye on the progress being made in upgrading the research arm. UConn has forged some excellent friendships in academic circles with Virginia, Illinois and Ohio State as well as Michigan. Virginia is key because there are a lot of folks in B1G circles that envision that pair as being 15 & 16 when the Maryland stuff settles. Oh, sure, Virginia will continue to say publicly it's committed to the ACC and in an ideal world, that's true... but it's going to listen when the time is right.

If Ohio State and Michigan both get on board for someone, it carries a lot of clout in the league. I think UConn is a real possibility in the next few years. Right now, the league is just taking its time and making sure Rutgers and Maryland are settled and it wants to see what happens with the exit fee. The Grant of Rights, I maintain, is not the deterrent people think, though the league is probably focused on eastern expansion for now.

Reaction Score
If Ohio State and Michigan both get on board for someone, it carries a lot of clout in the league.

Both have had turnover in leadership, so it would be interesting to know if that plays into it.

Reaction Score
Football would be harmed. The coaches are confident of this. The top high school football talent is declining in the Big Ten region and growing in the ACC southern regions. The big brands of the Big Ten are having to hire coaches that have ties to these southern regions just to keep up. Ohio State hired the Florida Coach. Penn State hired the Vandy Coach. Michigan's does not have these ties, and he's on the block for a firing this season. The others can forget it. UVA would be stupid to leave access to fertile recruiting grounds to go off into the Big Ten.

Baseball would be dramatically harmed, and it's a big deal at UVA. Basketball would not really be affected. The Big Ten has good basketball and access to good talent.

UVA is not interested in the Big Ten though, so this discussion isn't really relevant.

Are you seriously using Ohio State hiring Urban Meyer as an example? You do realize Urban was an Ohio State grad, right? He grew up in Ohio. They hired the "Florida coach" because he was a diehard Ohio State guy who knew Ohio State's tradition.

The whole "Big Ten region is declining" is an utter myth. The only state in the Big Ten region that is losing population is Michigan. The rest of the area is growing. Now, not all areas are growing as fast as other portions of the country, but it's not in decline as the narrative suggests.

I find it ironic that if this recruiting territory enjoyed in the ACC were as strong as you suggest, you'd think the ACC would be better than it has been; except, it hasn't. It's been a major conference doormat for most of the past two decades. Even this year, the Big Ten was unusually weak from top to bottom, it was still arguably better than the ACC -- who was slightly stronger than usual.

The Big Ten continues to be a better football league than the ACC. That's not likely to change any time soon. The revenues support that claim. There's a reason the Big Ten's brand brings in so much money.

Reaction Score
Are you seriously using Ohio State hiring Urban Meyer as an example? You do realize Urban was an Ohio State grad, right? He grew up in Ohio. They hired the "Florida coach" because he was a diehard Ohio State guy who knew Ohio State's tradition.

The whole "Big Ten region is declining" is an utter myth. The only state in the Big Ten region that is losing population is Michigan. The rest of the area is growing. Now, not all areas are growing as fast as other portions of the country, but it's not in decline as the narrative suggests.

I find it ironic that if this recruiting territory enjoyed in the ACC were as strong as you suggest, you'd think the ACC would be better than it has been; except, it hasn't. It's been a major conference doormat for most of the past two decades. Even this year, the Big Ten was unusually weak from top to bottom, it was still arguably better than the ACC -- who was slightly stronger than usual.

The Big Ten continues to be a better football league than the ACC. That's not likely to change any time soon. The revenues support that claim. There's a reason the Big Ten's brand brings in so much money.

If the B1G could grab New York, Philly, Chicago and half of DC, it's game over for everyone else. The ACC would lay claim to Atlanta and half of DC, 100 sq. feet of Boston, while the B12 would have Dallas, and the P12 would have LA and San Francisco.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
There may not be a sports message board on the Internet where it is easier for an outside troll to hijack a thread than it is on this one.

And we can't use words like super-star-dom or mus-t-ard.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And we can't use words like super-star-dom or mus-t-ard.

No.

Because you are children who cannot be trusted to responsibly use condiments and, you know, normal words.

Reaction Score
Atlanta is a pretty big SEC town. Maybe the ACC owns Charlotte and Raligh for sizable markets though
Yep, was just in Atlanta for a week and I would say 95% of the college sportswear down there was Georgia/Alabama/Florida/Auburn

Reaction Score
If the B1G could grab New York, Philly, Chicago and half of DC, it's game over for everyone else. The ACC would lay claim to Atlanta and half of DC, 100 sq. feet of Boston, while the B12 would have Dallas, and the P12 would have LA and San Francisco.

Yep. The Big Ten's network footprint could span nearly 40 percent of the country. Currently, the Big 12 encompasses just over 10 percent, for comparison. While the ACC would have a lot of coverage, it doesn't have nearly the brand power.

Reaction Score
Yep, was just in Atlanta for a week and I would say 95% of the college sportswear down there was Georgia/Alabama/Florida/Auburn

As an Atlanta resident myself, I will echo this. Technically speaking, Atlanta is fairly neutral as it's mostly a transient city. It's a hub for people from all over the country, especially the south. It actually has a huge Ohio State alumni base. That said, I'd say Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn and Ohio State are the schools you most see represented down here. You rarely, if ever, see ACC gear around outside of Tech students and the occasional Carolina Blue. Even with Tech, there's not as strong a pull in the city as you might imagine because like the city, Tech is a transient school with a large out of state enrollment and a lot of grads leave town when they graduate.

Reaction Score

As people might know, I've probably been outspoken about UConn as a possible candidate in Big Ten expansion longer than anyone. I don't have any new insight as to the status, but as of a year ago, the Big Ten was keeping an eye on the progress being made in upgrading the research arm. UConn has forged some excellent friendships in academic circles with Virginia, Illinois and Ohio State as well as Michigan. Virginia is key because there are a lot of folks in B1G circles that envision that pair as being 15 & 16 when the Maryland stuff settles. Oh, sure, Virginia will continue to say publicly it's committed to the ACC and in an ideal world, that's true... but it's going to listen when the time is right.

If Ohio State and Michigan both get on board for someone, it carries a lot of clout in the league. I think UConn is a real possibility in the next few years. Right now, the league is just taking its time and making sure Rutgers and Maryland are settled and it wants to see what happens with the exit fee. The Grant of Rights, I maintain, is not the deterrent people think, though the league is probably focused on eastern expansion for now.

I understand the Big Ten's interest in the University of Virginia. The UVA poster on this board, btstimpy, will tell you that UVA has no interest in the Big Ten and is content to remain in the ACC regardless of the outcome of the Maryland-ACC lawsuit. Based on your following of conference realignment, is there any evidence that UVA actually has an interest in the Big Ten aside from message board speculation? If yes, then why agree to an increased exit fee and GOR for the ACC?

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This started as a good thread, and has morphed into one of the worst in the history of this board.

pj

Reaction Score
I understand the Big Ten's interest in the University of Virginia. The UVA poster on this board, btstimpy, will tell you that UVA has no interest in the Big Ten and is content to remain in the ACC regardless of the outcome of the Maryland-ACC lawsuit. Based on your following of conference realignment, is there any evidence that UVA actually has an interest in the Big Ten aside from message board speculation? If yes, then why agree to an increased exit fee and GOR for the ACC?

I wonder if we'll find that the GoR has a trap door escape eg if ESPN doesn't produce a network, revenue doesn't match other conferences, or something. That came together awfully quickly and looked like it was half-motivated by public relations trying to tamp down speculation that the ACC was on the verge of breaking up. If the purpose was PR, it's not likely the schools would have avoided including escape hatches.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You can't be serious....

I can't come up with a thread that is worse in terms of pure inanity.

We have a bunch of fans of other schools arguing Virginia athletics for the last 3 pages. There have been threads that have devolved into joke threads, but the posters who have put together the last 3 pages are completely serious.

Reaction Score
I can't come up with a thread that is worse in terms of pure inanity.

We have a bunch of fans of other schools arguing Virginia athletics for the last 3 pages. There have been threads that have devolved into joke threads, but the posters who have put together the last 3 pages are completely serious.
From pages 6-9 you own 8 posts yourself! I went back to look...there is a lot of back and forth between regular posters on this board that are loyal UCONN fans, along with some who are fans of other schools. I can think of threads that were useless...this definitely isn't one of them!

Reaction Score

All the proof you need of the strength of the ACC's recruiting territory is borne out during the NFL draft. The ACC has some complicated issues and has flopped many a time on the national stage. But indeed, ACC recruiting grounds are very fertile. (And while B1G recruits from PA and OH are often drafted, too, a great many B1G draftees were recruited out of SEC and/or ACC and/or BigXII territory).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom