OT: - Royal Wedding Game Thread | The Boneyard

OT: Royal Wedding Game Thread

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm so happy the wedding is today, so I won't have to see hourly articles about the upcoming royal wedding.

The only good thing about the coverage is the article calling Prince Charles the world's oldest intern. Classic.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ready to go.

About 90 min outside of London and between wedding and FA Cup finals less than zero percent chance of me being near that city today.
IMG_20180519_103855.jpg

Reaction Score

This was good. The attempted horse therapy got me. All in all,not one to follow this stuff, it was truly a nice break from all dredgery we’ve been dealing with in our headlines these last few years. A little fantasy, wonder, love, and decorum was refreshing. It actually maybe me ill to type this but it’s true. Anyway Idris Elba was there and that’s gangster.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
All in all,not one to follow this stuff, it was truly a nice break from all dredgery we’ve been dealing with in our headlines these last few years. A little fantasy, wonder, love, and decorum was refreshing.

This is not at all the take I was expecting here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Watching the highlights on BBC, it's very odd from an American perspective to see a song sung "God Save The Queen".

Coolest part? The Queen doesn't sing it.

The British announcers indicated the sermon by Rev. Curry was much more direct than they are used to at Church of England sermons. I was at a Catholic Church in Norfolk, UK for a Sunday Mass the week of Little Alfie's death. The Catholic Priest's sermon was in line with what I would expect in the states.

And those Rolls Royces, Bentleys and Land Rovers are boss. That RR Phantom IV driving down the crowd line was kickass if you were the driver.

f8869d1eaffed3dd4b7371cab2ce09c5.jpg

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Watching the highlights on BBC, it's very odd from an American perspective to see a song sung "God Save The Queen".

But you know she's digging the "No future" refrain inside her head.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I didn’t even realize that this guy today will likely never be the king. He’s behind like ten people or something like that.

I figured it was odd that he was marrying an American, but I guess they don’t care because he’s like plan Q on the succession bench.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I didn’t even realize that this guy today will likely never be the king. He’s behind like ten people or something like that.

I figured it was odd that he was marrying an American, but I guess they don’t care because he’s like plan Q on the succession bench.

Yeah, he needs the Queen, Charles ,William and all Will and Kate's kids to bite it.

Throne goes through lineage of oldest child.

Harry has a good life. All the built in benefits of royalty without threat of ever being in charge.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

The British announcers indicated the sermon by Rev. Curry was much more direct than they are used to at Church of England sermons. I was at a Catholic Church in Norfolk, UK for a Sunday Mass the week of Little Alfie's death. The Catholic Priest's sermon was in line with what I would expect in the states.

And those Rolls Royces, Bentleys and Land Rovers are boss. That RR Phantom IV driving down the crowd line was kickass if you were the driver.

f8869d1eaffed3dd4b7371cab2ce09c5.jpg

Our presidential inauguration's prayer service actually includes similar songs. It's language that's basically an adaptation from God save the queen--just says God save the state instead. If you look up the liturgy for the service, one of the songs says this repeatedly, and several other songs during the service have a similar theme. Civil religion here, too!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Harry has a good life. All the built in benefits of royalty without threat of ever being in charge.

Yup, it's like being a backup QB making 10mil+ a year to hold a clipboard. All the benies with none of the headaches.

Greatest gig going.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

What happens when Elizabeth carks it and William becomes king. Do they change the words to "King" or just keep singing the same old ditty?

Reaction Score
What happens when Elizabeth carks it and William becomes king. Do they change the words to "King" or just keep singing the same old ditty?

Charles to the chagrin of everyone in the UK is first in line, pretty sure the Queen is doing her best to outlive him, one of the first parents in history trying to achieve this goal.

Yes they substitute King for Queen.

Harry does have a good life and he's a good citizen, twice went on active combat duty to the hell known as Afghanistan.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In charge? What is the queen in charge of?

It's odd for Americans. The royal family is basically in charge of promoting British culture amongst the commonwealth.

Meghan's tiara/headpiece/train or something had official flowers from the 53 countries that still maintain relations with the UK. Some do it better than others. There's about 1/3 of the world's population looks at the monarchy with some level of guidance and authority.

For many of the commonwealth William and Kate and now Harry and Meghan represent the hope they had through Di. The Brits are gaga over a mixed-race American bringing the royal family in to the 21st C.

Reaction Score
Yeah, he needs the Queen, Charles ,William and all Will and Kate's kids to bite it.

Are royalty still “in charge” of anything?

Yup, it's like being a backup QB making 10mil+ a year to hold a clipboard. All the benies with none of the headaches.

Greatest gig going.
Honestly given my above question, I feel like the analogy here would be that he’s more like the guy who makes sure the cotton candy machines are filled with sugar

Or the guy who does the mascot laundry (god save that guy)

Reaction Score
Charles to the chagrin of everyone in the UK is first in line, pretty sure the Queen is doing her best to outlive him, one of the first parents in history trying to achieve this goal.

Yes they substitute King for Queen.

Harry does have a good life and he's a good citizen, twice went on active combat duty to the hell known as Afghanistan.
Ton of respect for Harry’s service, and his work with disabled vets. William too. Both have the humanity of their mother.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Charles is her successor. Then William.

That boob Charles slipped my mind. I expect he does the rest of the Royals' as well.

Reaction Score

Well if there is ever a plane crash it could happen if all things fall into place. It could be part of his master plan.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Rocktheworld, post: 2723661, member: 5037" ]Are royalty still “in charge” of anything?

If being the wealthiest welfare recipient on the planet gets boring, the queen still has a big checkbook to balance every month. Harry is currently #6 in line. After that 'sermon', Rev Curry's next assignment may be in Botswanna.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

He’ll have to outlive his nephew and some dudes who live in the mailroom.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom