OT: - Roy Williams retires | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Roy Williams retires

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I cant imagine it is much fun coaching Men's college basketball with the one and done and not being able to build the team over multiple years.
I put that on the coaching philosophy--Roy largely recruited players he knew would bounce after a year or 2, he didn't target kids he thought would stick around. You look at the 2 best teams this year, Gonzaga and Baylor, and they're loaded with upperclassmen aside from Suggs, and even Suggs had to basically pitch himself to Mark Few instead of Few aggressively recruiting Suggs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I put that on the coaching philosophy--Roy largely recruited players he knew would bounce after a year or 2, he didn't target kids he thought would stick around. You look at the 2 best teams this year, Gonzaga and Baylor, and they're loaded with upperclassmen aside from Suggs, and even Suggs had to basically pitch himself to Mark Few instead of Few aggressively recruiting Suggs.
You can also look at Villanova Wildcats and there two recent championships and compare them to the KY Wildcats to see that the formula you are suggesting works.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Win or lose the NC, have you heard whether Suggs will stay after this year?

Reaction Score
I'm still on the fence if this is real or not.

Assuming it's real I wonder if they'll stay in the family. After Dean they've had 3 coaches. All in the family. 2 of them didn't work out. I'd look beyond "the family" if I were them.

Reaction Score
Ol' Roy actually younger than K and Boeheim, who will have to physically removed from the office if they don't die in it.
Williams may not have needed to be physically removed from UNC's office, but recently he appeared to struggle simply walking on the sidelines. On the golf course, he can now use the cart even more.

Reaction Score
I dont know if he could coach, but hed definitely be able to recruit.
Narrator: “He can’t.”

you date MJ but when you want to settle down you pick a coach who can teach you the skills to get to the pros

Reaction Score
Matt Doherty is available
He muffed it when he coached there before. 170-180 career coaching record. Why would they hire him?

The names above are better coaches who have maximized their teams' potential. Pitino is always a risky pick. Oats, Stevens, Beard, Donovan, Jay Wright. All winning coaches with a good track record.

Reaction Score
He muffed it when he coached there before. 170-180 career coaching record. Why would they hire him?

The names above are better coaches who have maximized their teams' potential. Pitino is always a risky pick. Oats, Stevens, Beard, Donovan, Jay Wright. All winning coaches with a good track record.
He was kidding.

Reaction Score
If they're smart they'll look outside the "family." Dean Smith wasn't a Carolina guy

Reaction Score

Doesn't like the direction of college basketball? Really? He didn't mind the direction when UNC had an entire department of b.s. classes meant to keep athletes eligible.

What doesnt he like now? New transfer rules? The potential he may have to pay players? I guess I'm not 100% sure what direction he's referring to, but I suspect he was fine with the direction when all the rules seemed to be in his favor.

Anyways, I'm glad he's retiring. Wish a few other 70 yr old millionaire coaches did the same. Give some younger people an opportunity. You all had your shot. How many more opportunities do you need to go out on top.

Retire to some DII program if you want to continue. Work for free.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but Calhoun left under a similar signal with stupid sanctions ...hate Emmert
That certainly played a factor, but I think the bigger factor is that Calhoun was in 70 at the time and that year they found out that they were not going to be in the ACC, but rather the AAC. A man of his couldn't find that immense traveling appealing or good for his health.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If they're smart they'll look outside the "family." Dean Smith wasn't a Carolina guy
it's like Michigan wanting a Michigan guy to coach football. Good luck.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Win or lose the NC, have you heard whether Suggs will stay after this year?
I don't think he's publicly come out and said anything. In one of the NCAA broadcasts the announcers were mentioning how Mark Few doesn't usually take one and dones and Suggs had to sell himself to Mark Few about why he'd be a worthwhile exception or something to that effect. He's expected to be a top 3-4 pick in the draft.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom