Roughest 2 days for Uconn I can remember | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roughest 2 days for Uconn I can remember

Reaction Score
Single top priority sure. But the cost of college around the country has a much greater impact on interest and application demand.
Great point.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Single top priority sure. But the cost of college around the country has a much greater impact on interest and application demand.

Which is why New England kids are flocking to Big Ten schools. Looked it up the other day and Wisconsin out of state is similar to UConn in state.

Reaction Score
The women lost a regular season game. In most sports this is normal. In men's basketball there hasn't been an undefeated champion since 1976. I've always been of the opinion that an occasional loss makes you appreciate the victories more. In the rare occasion that I tune in to a women's game, I change to something else if UConn is blowing the other team out. The risk of losing makes the games more enjoyable.
I was at the women’s game vs South Carolina in Columbia last year. During the opening hype intro the sc girls are shown dancing with the trophy. Gino has his girls staring at the Jumbotron to take it in. Katie Lou averted her eyes for a second and geno and 2 team mates forced her to pay attention. UConn won by like 35 points. The first qrt was like 28-6

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Not getting into the ACC.
Not getting into the ACC again.
George Mason.
Donyell. Florida game.
Still... Laettner 1990 Elite 8.

That 1990 loss to Duke really hurt. I was in HS at the time and was riding high on Huskymania.

The rest of the 90's, I didn't think UConn would ever win a men's title..... until of course they did.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Which is why New England kids are flocking to Big Ten schools. Looked it up the other day and Wisconsin out of state is similar to UConn in state.

i mean Alabama has a huge massive out of stat population as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
i mean Alabama has a huge massive out of stat population as well.

yeah, my friend's son, graduating from private HS in MA this May (lives in RI), and his list is Auburn, Clemson, NC State and another southern school. Not even looking near here. Others I know have sent kids to Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, Purdue in the last few years.

Reaction Score
No, there's more parity in the women's game. Men's hoops fans have been sneering for years at women's basketball because of the lack of parity and now that it's starting to emerge, fans are saying the UConn team isn't very good.

This is the worst UConn women's team in at least 7 years without a doubt. Coming back down to earth certainly doesn't hurt parity.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m 3 levels below a casual fan but this team is nowhere near the level of their best teams.

You almost by definition can’t have no bench and be a great team.
Baylor play 6 players last night; UConn played 8.

ND and UConn both played 6 when the Huskies beat them by 18 in South Bend.

There is a shallow pool of elite talent in women’s hoops. In tough games, almost all of the top teams go with 6-7 players. Look at the box scores from previous UConn championships; Geno regularly played only 6-7. Fans have been crying about it from r years.

Reaction Score
That 1990 loss to Duke really hurt. I was in HS at the time and was riding high on Huskymania.

The rest of the 90's, I didn't think UConn would ever win a men's title..... until of course they did.

Yep. 1990 just felt like it wouldn't end without a NC. It was all so new. Hurt like hell.

Reaction Score
This women's team isn't very good, really not surprising they lost away to one of the best teams. NCAAW is way down as a whole.
Let's preface that. They're not very good like most of the last 20+ years. But compared to the rest of women's basketball this season they're pretty good. They'll still probably be in the Final Four for the umpteenth time but expectations are a little different for the UConn women.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Baylor play 6 players last night; UConn played 8.

ND and UConn both played 6 when the Huskies beat them by 18 in South Bend.

There is a shallow pool of elite talent in women’s hoops. In tough games, almost all of the top teams go with 6-7 players. Look at the box scores from previous UConn championships; Geno regularly played only 6-7. Fans have been crying about it from r years.
He played 8 out of sheer desperation and lack of size. A horrible matchup for the wormen's team, if they shoot 40% from the floor they probably win. I agree this team lacks a generational superstar.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yep. 1990 just felt like it wouldn't end without a NC. It was all so new. Hurt like hell.

That was anything but a bad day. It was, at that point, the highest heights UConn had ever achieved in basketball. It was joyous, even if momentarily difficult in defeat.

Reaction Score
That was anything but a bad day. It was, at that point, the highest heights UConn had ever achieved in basketball. It was joyous, even if momentarily difficult in defeat.

That loss was a tough one. Hypothetically though, we get past them, we probably get to the final and UNLV would have torn our face off. I don't lose an iota of sleep over 1990.

'06 sticks out obviously - so does '94. In '94 the road was wide open. Wide open.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That loss was a tough one. Hypothetically though, we get past them, we probably get to the final and UNLV would have torn our face off. I don't lose an iota of sleep over 1990.

'06 sticks out obviously - so does '94. In '94 the road was wide open. Wide open.

I just never think failing deep in the tournament is a "bad couple of days". Getting humiliated by Auburn last year, that was bad. The football team getting smashed by a bad ECU team, that was bad. Falling short of greatness is not bad.

Reaction Score
I just never think failing deep in the tournament is a "bad couple of days". Getting humiliated by Auburn last year, that was bad. The football team getting smashed by a bad ECU team, that was bad. Falling short of greatness is not bad.

Lol no - none of those are bad on any level.

People saying this is our worst day in years is indicative I think - of how good things have been around here.

People are def. showing some age here, not to be the crusty old guy haha.

Reaction Score
The women's team really hasn't looked that impressive and the Final Four isnt a lock. This team lost the athleticism of Gabby Williams, and the perimeter defense of Kia Nurse, Meghan Walker will have to step up. Losing Azura Stevens is big too because they have no size and Collier has to play out of position against other teams bigs. Uconn women will really have to earn it this year their like the Patriots this year kind of, very vulnerable but still in it.

Reaction Score
Nothing worse than the day the big east broke up. Terrible

Reaction Score
And they were plenty awful days last year in the middle of winter were uconn was so bad I couldn’t watch them - that could be on the horizon soon though again - like Groundhog Day all over again

Reaction Score
Ah but there was an oblivious joyousness back then. The Field House would be packed and rocking even with under achieving Perno teams. To tell the truth, I miss though days, though obviously I wouldn't trade our natties for them.
I take exception to packed. You could show up 10 minutes in to all games but random big East teams at field house and (on student side) decide whether to sit in first ten rows at half court or 1st or 2nd row under basket. No doubt we were oblivious though.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If I was a prospective college student, I'd take a year off (maybe try to intern or something) and live in the state whose state school I wanted to attend, thereby gaining residency, and apply the following year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He played 8 out of sheer desperation and lack of size. A horrible matchup for the wormen's team, if they shoot 40% from the floor they probably win. I agree this team lacks a generational superstar.

They might have close in CW. But it'll only happen as a Jr/Sr, not as a freshman.

Other generational players we've had have often played with absolute studs their freshman years.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
They might have close in CW. But it'll only happen as a Jr/Sr, not as a freshman.

Other generational players we've had have often played with absolute studs their freshman years.
Yeah, the big 2 this year seem to get overwhelmed on the biggest stages. Both nice players but can be shut down or taken out of the game mentally/emotionally/physically.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Always interesting to read the comments on the women's team from people who don't watch them.
They didn't get beat last night, they got dominated. They had no offense. They scored their usual half-time score for the game (almost)
Geno (Gino) never plays deep except at mop up time. But the last three years they have played 5-6 all year long and in the play-off run. Used to be his 6th woman was the best or close to best player in the team. No more
he played 8 players out of desperation last night. Starters disappeared. Also they were too short and weak with their starters.
i never saw Samuelson and Collier struggle like that. Ever. The two underclassmen disappeared. Only Dangerfield,IMHO,played well until she was exhausted in the 4th and couldn't reach the basket.
Baylor either played the game of their lives, or will be the Champs and the two losses were a fluke.

Reaction Score
Watching the women last night was not much different than the men vs USF. They're an awful rebounding team against a bigger team, they don't score unless Samuelson is making shots and the offense which is "so impressive" all these years to some looks pretty unimpressive against a team who can guard them a little. Hey I'm impressed with Geno but admittedly Walker and the the new NPOY aren't Stewart, Taurasi or Moore so lets see the staff coach a 5-6 person team. Gonna get ugly there when the 2 seniors leave this year I'm afraid. should've won while they could the last 2 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom