Roster issues over the next 4 years | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Roster issues over the next 4 years

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Here's my infamous color coded roster. I redid it when Saylor joined the team and vacillated on how to note her status, so here's my quirky attempt: View attachment 64888
Love the chart but your seasons are out of sync - we are currently in the 21-22 season which is what the first column should be labeled and the current Juniors are class of 2023 not 2022, etc as the labels in the second section.

EDIT: Please ignore, seem to have skipped a year: 2020 was such a bummer and 2021 isn't looking all that great so figured I would just get a jump and switch my calendar to 2022 already! Oops! :eek:

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
IT IS AN ISSUE! Do you see the last year listed? We only have five players! If anyone gets injured we won't be able to play any games. How many times are we going to finish a game with three or four players if someone fouls out? A five person roster in D1 basketball is going to be a disaster!
Yeah, but they are pretty good players

Reaction Score
Love the chart but your seasons are out of sync - we are currently in the 21-22 season which is what the first column should be labeled and the current Juniors are class of 2023 not 2022, etc as the labels in the second section.
???? Doesn't the '21-'22 season start this coming fall? Ice Brady is class of '22 and is currently a JR. I believe this is the '20-'21 season or am I missing something?

Reaction Score
I figure one or two of the players are always going to be in Geno's dog house and unfortunately one or two will have some kind of injury so perhaps it will be a bit less of an issue then first thought........

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Your first sentence is not true.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Let's assume that they all use their 5th year of eligibility,

Several issues...these two are interesting.

Season 22-23
16 rostered players. I thought the max was 15.

Season 24-25
10 Seniors leaving after this season.

My post was not intended as negative, rather that an interesting discussion could actually happen. However, we can scrap that thought...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Let's assume that they all use their 5th year of eligibility,

Several issues...these two are interesting.

Season 22-23
16 rostered players. I thought the max was 15.

Season 24-25
10 Seniors leaving after this season.

My post was not intended as negative, rather that an interesting discussion could actually happen. However, we can scrap that thought...
The cap is 15 scholarship players. A team can have as many walk ons as they want.

Reaction Score
My son was a heavily recruited baseball player out of HS. We visited 6 schools that are perennial contenders for a National Championship as well as some others in our State. With only one exception we found coaches will tell you anything to sign with them. Once you get there, those promises are forgotten, with the exception for players such as a Bueckers, Fudd, etc. Recruits are well advised to pay attention not to what the recruiter says, but what they have done in the past.

I do not have any idea what Geno (Chris) tells kids when they are recruited. However, I have observed only 6-8 players get meaningful playing time. With a normal spacing of classes this has worked out OK in that a Gabby Williams sits in 1st year and gradually gets more playing time. However, with this lower class (Fr, So) scenario shaping up, some very good players may languish on the bench all four years. This is why having to sit out a year after transferring is a bad rule for the athletes.

As for me, I would much prefer a larger rotation of players getting real playing time.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
IMO you can thorough out much of what has happened in the past. We are loaded next season and it will take time for the freshman to learn Genos system and they will get play time. IMO Azzi will start. For who I dont know but shes to good and didnt come here to sit and from many reports she shoots better then Paige and with that said think about Paige setting her up with passes. Yeah thats gonna be somethin else. We have a bunch of number 1 HS players on the roster next season Evina was 2 and many of the rest are top 10 and top 20. Theyre gonna play when theyre ready and Geno has to get them ready of the following season when Evina Liv and Christyn graduate and most likely turn pro. I wouldnt worry too much about next season we need to win a NC this season and we need our bigs to play big over the next 4-5 weeks.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My son was a heavily recruited baseball player out of HS. We visited 6 schools that are perennial contenders for a National Championship as well as some others in our State. With only one exception we found coaches will tell you anything to sign with them. Once you get there, those promises are forgotten, with the exception for players such as a Bueckers, Fudd, etc. Recruits are well advised to pay attention not to what the recruiter says, but what they have done in the past.

I do not have any idea what Geno (Chris) tells kids when they are recruited. However, I have observed only 6-8 players get meaningful playing time. With a normal spacing of classes this has worked out OK in that a Gabby Williams sits in 1st year and gradually gets more playing time. However, with this lower class (Fr, So) scenario shaping up, some very good players may languish on the bench all four years. This is why having to sit out a year after transferring is a bad rule for the athletes.

As for me, I would much prefer a larger rotation of players getting real playing time.
This is an article about how Geno recruits. It’s from several years ago but it’s similar to what we’ve heard recruits say for decades now. No promises from Geno.

Reaction Score
Per the article: "Auriemma seldom makes promises to players, at least ones players will admit to, although Williams said he promised her a starting position next year. "But only if I work hard," Williams said. "If I don't work, I'll sit."

The caveat 'if I work hard' gives Geno an easy out. Same as the " she didn't practice well' concept oftentimes mentioned. Is some type of 'forced ranking' used to determine which 8 players worked the hardest this week? Be definition the rest of the players did not work hard enough.

Paige is a unique individual, not only in basketball skills, but personal skills. She has always wanted to go to Uconn, same as Stewie and others. It would not surprise me at all if Paige is an indirect factor in pulling all this elite talent to Uconn at this time.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
IMO you can thorough out much of what has happened in the past. We are loaded next season and it will take time for the freshman to learn Genos system and they will get play time. IMO Azzi will start. For who I dont know but shes to good and didnt come here to sit and from many reports she shoots better then Paige and with that said think about Paige setting her up with passes. Yeah thats gonna be somethin else. We have a bunch of number 1 HS players on the roster next season Evina was 2 and many of the rest are top 10 and top 20. Theyre gonna play when theyre ready and Geno has to get them ready of the following season when Evina Liv and Christyn graduate and most likely turn pro. I wouldnt worry too much about next season we need to win a NC this season and we need our bigs to play big over the next 4-5 weeks.
To be honest, I don't believe any player comes to UConn or any other school to sit. Fudd would not be alone in that. I am pretty sure McClean and Griffin did not come to UConn to sit but someone has to. If Fudd does not meet the coaches expectations early on, she will sit too.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
To be honest, I don't believe any player comes to UConn or any other school to sit. Fudd would not be alone in that. I am pretty sure McClean and Griffin did not come to UConn to sit but someone has to. If Fudd does not meet the coaches expectations early on, she will sit too.
DON'T THINK SOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I remember Shea Ralph writing that Geno´s telling her "You will get as much palying time as you earn in practice" was the clincher for her. Other coaches had promised her all sorts of things, but all she wanted was honest competition.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Some people considered Poffenbarger a great shooter. So far, she is 1 for 9 on 3 pointers, 2 for 13 overall. So, it remains to be seen.
Are you serious (of course you are)? This kid should still be in HS but she chose to leave home mid season, come to Storrs and go into quarantine alone, start college classes remotely, start practicing under the toughest Coaches and probably for these reasons has been put into games to reward her!!! And BYers are going to criticize her performance????
Geno considers her a good shooter...that's good enough for me.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
At least she's not 0 for Maryland, not bad for a high school kid.

casablanca heres looking at you GIF
"We'll always have Storrs."

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
DON'T THINK SOOOOOOOOOOOOO
You evidently don't know Geno. He won't adjust his standards for anyone no matter how good they are. But, we shall see

Reaction Score
As a season progresses, every player develops injuries that they have to play with because of a short bench. As a result, the injuries do not heal or get worse. Playing tired increases the chance of injuries and is not fun, Kelly Ferris once said that having to play 35 minutes is not good; but, players do it because there is no one on the bench to replace them. It must reduce the pleasure in playing the game. II certainly reduces the player's performance. Usually when a player has a subpar performance, we learn later that they were playing injured.

You cannot , as Geno advises "play smart and enjoy the game," when you are exhausted and/or injured.

The year that Bill Walton played for the Celtics, they sometimes used a platoon system for part of the game. Walton and four other veteran players would come in to replace the starters.

Geno did that once when he was pissed off at the lazy play of the starters. In this case, it would be the younger players, who play together in practice. This would give them real game-time experience playing together, which they will do as the starting unit in future years.

So, as the wiseperson once said,
Now what’s the issue again???

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
This is one of those games that the badass was the entire team.

IT IS AN ISSUE! Do you see the last year listed? We only have five players! If anyone gets injured we won't be able to play any games. How many times are we going to finish a game with three or four players if someone fouls out? A five person roster in D1 basketball is going to be a disaster!
Whatever players are left will just have to step up!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Diana Taurasi didn’t start until Svet got hurt

As did Maya Moore eight games in when Kalana Green went down. Moriah Jefferson, Morgan Tuck, and Napheesa Collier didn't start as freshman. Samuelson was the third player tried as the fifth starter her freshman year and won that job by default as the other two (Napheesa and Chong I believe) had not done well as starters and she still averaged under 20 minutes as did all of those listed except Maya. Stewart, the last HS phenom, averaged under 24 minutes and only started 14 of 36 games as a freshman.

Yes, every player would love to play every game, but any player recruited by a powerhouse program knows that game minutes are extremely competitive - Uconn starts freshman infrequently and only when there is not a viable returning player to challenge them. Some recruits look closely at the presumed returning roster of the teams recruiting them and make their choices based primarily on that and the probable minutes available - the smarter ones look at the coaching and style of play and team dynamic and the chance of winning more games than they lose and make different choices.

Moriah Jefferson looked at the Uconn roster and saw an AA quality starting PG (Bria) would be at Uconn for her first two years and still chose Uconn. She obviously made a 'stupid' choice that limited her playing time as a freshman and left Uconn with her four NCs after a stellar career. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom