Roster issues over the next 4 years | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Roster issues over the next 4 years

Reaction Score
Whatever players are left will just have to step up!

Kidding aside. Look at the five players. Even with no additions, that's a pretty nice starting five.
impressed wow wow GIF by Veep HBO

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Just look at this season with all the players we have on the roster. Suddenly Anna is out (saw her at the end of the last game in a boot and "sleeve" on her leg limping - hope she comes back this year, but it seems doubtful). Given her injuries, it's possible she may not be 100% effective next year.

Paige keeps tweaking her ankle, and missed 1 game this season. Nika was in and out for the first few months with injuries. Evina is dealing with chronic knee issues. A roster of 10 scholarship players has been as low as 8. You just never know how injuries will affect a team.

People keep asking "how is Geno going to keep everyone happy"? I have 2 answers for that. First, that's not his job. It really isn't. His job is to recruit, develop players, and win. Every single kid coming in knows exactly how good their teammates are, and how hard it will be to earn a starting spot and playing time.

The kids who practice the best and who produce in games will play the most. Period. Take Nika for example. She's a PG. She verbaled after Paige did, who is the best player in the country. Nika knew how good Paige was projected to be, and her attitude was (paraphrasing) "I'm a very competitive person and I look forward to being her teammate and competing with her for PT".

Which leads me to my 2nd point. UCONN is not for everyone. No matter how much kids talk to former players, read their comments, know how HARD it is at UCONN, the reality is still different from what they expected. Some will thrive, some won't.

It's possible (maybe even likely) Evina will leave after this season for the WNBA, like Morgan Tuck did. It's probable that Geno has told the core players that minutes will be less next season in non-competitive games. And you never know how injuries or sicknesses will affect the team. Remember when UCONN lost Sveta AND Shea in the same season? Everything will work out, and how blessed are we to have "too much talent" as our biggest issue!!

Worry about what you can control. The rest will take care of itself! UCONN has always been, and always will be, TEAM first.
Great stuff @EricLA. Even used the verb "affect" and not the noun "effect." Terrific.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great stuff @EricLA. Even used the verb "affect" and not the noun "effect." Terrific.
One of my pet peeves. One of many - English is not easy - and I am by no means an expert, but I see those errors, and malaprops, all over the place, not just on the BY!!!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
As did Maya Moore eight games in when Kalana Green went down. Moriah Jefferson, Morgan Tuck, and Napheesa Collier didn't start as freshman. Samuelson was the third player tried as the fifth starter her freshman year and won that job by default as the other two (Napheesa and Chong I believe) had not done well as starters and she still averaged under 20 minutes as did all of those listed except Maya. Stewart, the last HS phenom, averaged under 24 minutes and only started 14 of 36 games as a freshman.
Think it was Napheesa and Gabby.

Reaction Score
It is a nice sort of problem to have. It might not be too much of an overstatement to say that UConn will be close to having the two best teams in the US next season. Although it is always shaky to make predictions, especially about the future, it seems likely, bar injury, that next year's starting five for the first game will be ONO, Paige, Edwards, Westbrook (if she stays), Williams and Muhl (if Westbrook leaves). First off the bench will of course be Azzi and Anna, if Anna is OK, and Aubrey. THEN, as deep reserves, we have DeBerry, McClean, Poffenbarger, Caroline and Gabriel. As the season progresses, both the starting lineups and the most called upon reserves may change and probably will. You could easily imagine a team made up of the non-starters (as imagined above) that would not only win the Big East but probably go undefeated in league play and be very competitive at the Dance. We should all have such problems!! Practices next year may well be more competitive than all but a few games.
I am thinking ONO, Edwards, Bueckers, Fudd, and Muhl: Speed & accuracy and plenty of bench strength to not allow any other team within 20 points of them next year....

Reaction Score
I am thinking ONO, Edwards, Bueckers, Fudd, and Muhl: Speed & accuracy and plenty of bench strength to not allow any other team within 20 points of them next year....
That’s a good lineup but a very unlikely one imo. It is far more likely to be Christyn instead of Muhl. Muhl would relieve Paige as PG. No way Geno sits his senior shooting guard for a sophomore who can’t score.

Reaction Score
That’s a good lineup but a very unlikely one imo. It is far more likely to be Christyn instead of Muhl. Muhl would relieve Paige as PG. No way Geno sits his senior shooting guard for a sophomore who can’t score.
I would not be so sure Auriemma and company are going to put Bueckers back to the traditional PG role next year. Just my opinion, but I highly doubt it. As for starting there is no doubt Williams in my mind will start but it is totally irrelevant as far as I am concerned. Like her or not, Muhl is going to see plenty of minutes.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What else is there to make predictions about if not the future?
And Azzi isn't coming off the bench; she'll start beside Slim for the next (?) several years. There are actually some who consider Fudd the better (shooter) of the two. Scary.
Doubters watch this: Azzi Fudd workout highlights with Chris Brickley - YouTube
one of the 'some' is Paige. I believe it is universally accepted that Azzi is the better shooter and it's really not close. I have shared this comment before that while doing a joint interview they were asked with the game on the line what is your go to move; Azzi, "Probably my midrange jumper." Paige, "Pass to Azzi".

Reaction Score
I can see this thread having "legs" and continue for the next 4 years. :eek:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
one of the 'some' is Paige. I believe it is universally accepted that Azzi is the better shooter and it's really not close. I have shared this comment before that while doing a joint interview they were asked with the game on the line what is your go to move; Azzi, "Probably my midrange jumper." Paige, "Pass to Azzi".
Saw the video of Paige and Azzi having a 3 pt competition. They took 25 shots from 5 different angles. Paige made 20 of the 25, Azzi made 21. Paige complained that Azzi did not feed her very well in a couple situations, and I think Azzi called her a loser as they walked out of the gym. This is going to be fun next year guys, the friendly competition between the two will only make them even better. Can't wait!

Reaction Score
I like the lineup with Nika in it, but like you suspect Geno would prefer Christyn to Nika. If Evina comes back there are four players who have been regular starters at Uconn that are vulnerable and could wind up on the bench, Anna (who's starting days are likely behind her), Evina, Christyn and Nika.

The most likely thing IMO is that two of those four sit if Evina returns, and two of three sit if she doesn't. The reason I say two is based on two assumptions. First that Aaliyah becomes a starter at the 4 and small/ball becomes an option off the bench but is not in the starting lineup. That takes players like Evina and Anna and throws them into the wing/guard competition.

The second assumption is that Azzi starts somewhere, and she drops another to the bench. If Azzi started with Nika and Paige, obviously Evina, Christyn and Anna don't. If Paige starts at PG with Christyn and Azzi, Nika, Evina, and Anna are on the bench. Even if Evina departs, a very good player gets demoted. Carolyn and Saylor would also be competing with those players for minutes.

Upfront if Aaliyah starts with Live, Aubrey and Amari should have very defined roles. Because of Amari, a three big rotation won't be necessary. We now presumably have a legitimate C backup, and even if Amari wasn't immediately ready, there is also the chance Piath might be. If either is ready for the backup C role, Aailyah can start with Aubrey being her principle backup, and Mir as the third option there.

Are there many players that could play other positions? Yes, but unless the presumed players are unavailable there would be little reason to do so, except as a situational substitution. Whether you compete for playing time with bigs or wings the competition is extensive either way.

Reaction Score
Having an over abundance of talent is much preferred over not having enough. The day to day lineup will work it's way out. Can you imagine what a UConn practice will look like, it will be a top 10 matchup each and every day.

Reaction Score
Do you realize that the definition of universally is "by everyone; in all cases"? And it's really not close? You can pump the brakes on that until Fudd shoots over 60% as a freshman. That's what it would take to be really not close. If Fudd shoots over 50% against college defenses I'll accept that she's in Bueckers' neighborhood as a shooter.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Do you realize that the definition of universally is "by everyone; in all cases"? And it's really not close? You can pump the brakes on that until Fudd shoots over 60% as a freshman. That's what it would take to be really not close. If Fudd shoots over 50% against college defenses I'll accept that she's in Bueckers' neighborhood as a shooter.
No so fast my friend. The two have been in multiple 3 point contests won by Azzi. Azzi also almost beat Steph Curry at his camp. I forget the pro who made the comment that Azzi's jump shot is in the same class with Steph and Klay. And Paige says Azzi is a better shooter. So while you are right in noting there is a bit of hyperbole in my comment, your standard of shooting 60% against college defenses does not infringe on the accuracy of my comment

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No so fast my friend. The two have been in multiple 3 point contests won by Azzi. Azzi also almost beat Steph Curry at his camp. I forget the pro who made the comment that Azzi's jump shot is in the same class with Steph and Klay. And Paige says Azzi is a better shooter. So while you are right in noting there is a bit of hyperbole in my comment, your standard of shooting 60% against college defenses does not infringe on the accuracy of my comment

That video isn’t too bad, but No. 161 sort of rattled in, and No. 170 also made a little bit of contact with the rim on the way down, so her jumper seems a little bit erratic. But maybe college coaching will help.

(hoping the humor in my comment is obvious, but I’ll put a parenthetical disclaimer down here to be safe).

Reaction Score

That's all wonderful. But I'm talking about shooting in games. With defenders coming at her and closing out, when missing can effect the score. Big difference, practice shooting and games are two very different things. Bueckers has done it at over 50% against college defenses. If Fudd can do that, I'll acknowledge her as being as good a shooter as PB. Wouldn't 60% be required to be better than a kid shooting in the mid 50s though? And deferring to her friend is predictable, Auriemma has to tell her not to do it on the floor with her current teammates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom