Roster issues over the next 4 years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roster issues over the next 4 years

Reaction Score
Some people considered Poffenbarger a great shooter. So far, she is 1 for 9 on 3 pointers, 2 for 13 overall. So, it remains to be seen.
At least she's not 0 for Maryland, not bad for a high school kid.

casablanca heres looking at you GIF

Reaction Score
It is a nice sort of problem to have. It might not be too much of an overstatement to say that UConn will be close to having the two best teams in the US next season. Although it is always shaky to make predictions, especially about the future, it seems likely, bar injury, that next year's starting five for the first game will be ONO, Paige, Edwards, Westbrook (if she stays), Williams and Muhl (if Westbrook leaves). First off the bench will of course be Azzi and Anna, if Anna is OK, and Aubrey. THEN, as deep reserves, we have DeBerry, McClean, Poffenbarger, Caroline and Gabriel. As the season progresses, both the starting lineups and the most called upon reserves may change and probably will. You could easily imagine a team made up of the non-starters (as imagined above) that would not only win the Big East but probably go undefeated in league play and be very competitive at the Dance. We should all have such problems!! Practices next year may well be more competitive than all but a few games.
Actually, I think it would be an overstatement. IMO, UConn's 2nd team next year would have trouble beating most of next year's top 10. They all will have good recruiting classes coming in and SC and Stanford in particular will get freshman groups that are on par with UConn's.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Some people considered Poffenbarger a great shooter. So far, she is 1 for 9 on 3 pointers, 2 for 13 overall. So, it remains to be seen.
It is not fair to use Poffenbarger. She is playing mop up minutes and has taken a small number of shots. Plus she was late coming to the team. It remains to be seen but to be fair she should not be judged until she has had more time with the team. Also, 95% of UConn recruits are diamonds in the rough. (Top 20 recruits) Those are the main kind of players Geno recruits. It is his and the other coaches job to make them into finished, polished gems.

Reaction Score
What else is there to make predictions about if not the future?
And Azzi isn't coming off the bench; she'll start beside Slim for the next (?) several years. There are actually some who consider Fudd the better (shooter) of the two. Scary.
Let’s just say I’m from Missouri on that last point. I hope it’s true, and (I guess) it’s conceivable, but I’m going to have to see it to believe it. Shooters like Paige are unbelievably rare. I’ve been following women’s basketball (specifically UConn) since early 90s and I don’t remember ever seeing anyone shoot better than Paige! Now we’re to believe that we are getting the two best shooters (possibly ever) who just happen to be best friends and who both commit to the same school in consecutive years? Like I said, possible, but I’ll wait til I actually see it for myself. As John Candy said in “Splash” when told that a naked Daryl Hannah had been observed walking out of the sea, “I’m for it, of course” but common sense tells me it’s pretty unlikely. Of course, she doesn’t have to be better than Paige to make a huge impact. We know for sure she’s very good. It’s the “better than Paige” that gives me pause. Let’s say Azzi comes in and shoots 47% from three and 50% overall and averages 17 points, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 4 rebounds. Is anyone going to complain about that? Actually, scratch that! I’m sure some will. Finally, if she really is better, I will be the first to acknowledge and celebrate it!

Reaction Score
It is a nice sort of problem to have. It might not be too much of an overstatement to say that UConn will be close to having the two best teams in the US next season. Although it is always shaky to make predictions, especially about the future, it seems likely, bar injury, that next year's starting five for the first game will be ONO, Paige, Edwards, Westbrook (if she stays), Williams and Muhl (if Westbrook leaves). First off the bench will of course be Azzi and Anna, if Anna is OK, and Aubrey. THEN, as deep reserves, we have DeBerry, McClean, Poffenbarger, Caroline and Gabriel. As the season progresses, both the starting lineups and the most called upon reserves may change and probably will. You could easily imagine a team made up of the non-starters (as imagined above) that would not only win the Big East but probably go undefeated in league play and be very competitive at the Dance. We should all have such problems!! Practices next year may well be more competitive than all but a few games.

ummmmmm..........didn't we have this same discussion last year where many had a certain skinny blonde freshman coming in off the bench? Azzi Fudd starts from day one and will remain a starter as long as she plays the game of basketball.......

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
My Yogi-ism seems to have fallen on deaf ears, to mix a metaphor.

Reaction Score
Let’s just say I’m from Missouri on that last point. I hope it’s true, and (I guess) it’s conceivable, but I’m going to have to see it to believe it. Shooters like Paige are unbelievably rare. I’ve been following women’s basketball (specifically UConn) since early 90s and I don’t remember ever seeing anyone shoot better than Paige! Now we’re to believe that we are getting the two best shooters (possibly ever) who just happen to be best friends and who both commit to the same school in consecutive years? Like I said, possible, but I’ll wait til I actually see it for myself. As John Candy said in “Splash” when told that a naked Daryl Hannah had been observed walking out of the sea, “I’m for it, of course” but common sense tells me it’s pretty unlikely. Of course, she doesn’t have to be better than Paige to make a huge impact. We know for sure she’s very good. It’s the “better than Paige” that gives me pause. Let’s say Azzi comes in and shoots 47% from three and 50% overall and averages 17 points, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 4 rebounds. Is anyone going to complain about that? Actually, scratch that! I’m sure some will. Finally, if she really is better, I will be the first to acknowledge and celebrate it!

I'll be somewhat surprised if Azzi Fudd doesn't prove to be the best shooter in UConn history.... ...........even PB would admit that Azzi's the better shooter while she is the better passer and dancer..............what a great problem to have......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll be somewhat surprised if Azzi Fudd doesn't prove to be the best shooter in UConn history.... ...........even PB would admit that Azzi's the better shooter while she is the better passer and dancer..............what a great problem to have......
I think there may be some dispute over who the best dancer is.......

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Can you explain the difference between TRANSFER SPECULATION and LEAVE EARLY FOR THE PROS SPECULATION. It seems like a very fine line to me.
Not the same thing. Transfers are moves to other schools.

Reaction Score
Back when I was a student there Geno had such a horrible situation that he had to deal with. He had on his team
Sveta, Shea, T A S S, Shuey, Ashley Battle, Diana, Maria.... that is 10 players he had in the rotation regularly. Then there was Morgan Valley, Marci Czel, Christine "Big Rigs" Rigby.... and I feel like I am missing someone. I think Jess Moore was redshirting.... Anyways... If I am not mistaken Geno was able to keep their playing time around 20-25 minutes for the starters, then 10-15 for those off the bench, and then the end of the game minutes for those who he felt should get in the game if they had enough of a lead. How bad would it be to have our starting five play 20-25 minutes instead of 30-35 minutes? As long as the people coming in are realistic about their playing time... this should not be an issue...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a note on the OP - while the number of players is correct, the number of scholarships is off by one as Chassion is a walk-on.

As far as scholarships are concerned, we had this discussion before the season when the NCAA first announced this was going to be a non-official year of eligibility. It is conceivable that some schools will run out of scholarships if some of their players desire to play a fifth year, and the most likely players to do so will be the ones that do not see a professional future as being a serious consideration. The NCAA has not provided any guidance as to adjustments they may allow. If nothing is done, we may see a serious increase in graduate transfers around the country.

As far as minutes are concerned - people seem to have an idea that if you are not playing 35 minutes a game you are going to be unhappy. There may be some players that have that attitude (more on the men's side than the women's) but getting 15 minutes of serious playing time and hours of very serious teaching and coaching time can be very satisfying for properly motivated players. These women aren't stupid and if they can see their own progression as ball players and recognize that people getting 20+ minutes are clearly more deserving then happiness is still possible.

Autumn is a special case - she chose Uconn and being a walk-on over a full scholarship elsewhere. That she is at the end of the bench was a choice she made specifically to be able to practice and learn from Geno and the staff. It is the same choice others have made before her.

Interesting to note - arguably the best Uconn PG ever started her career playing 17 minutes a game as a freshman, Gabby Williams started her career playing 16 and then 18 minutes a game in her first two years (numbers very similar to Griffins to date.) And Asjha Jones, an Olympian, only broke 20 minutes a game as a senior with 24 mpg and she was drafted 4th that year.

Reaction Score
I agree, the second unit could probably win the Big East next year, and if Evina comes back and we have 15 players, the third unit could probably have a winning record in the Big East.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
As to Saylor´s shootin eye, nine shots by a (probably) quite nervous freshman is hardly enough to form a judgement on. May I once again remind y´all that Dead-eye Maria Conlon once missed 31 threes in a row. She has not gone down in Husky History as a bad shooter. (And it was NOT her freshman year, either!)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Not the same thing. Transfers are moves to other schools.
And declaring for the draft early is a move to another team also. Both involve leaving the team they are on. But hey, it's your board, and I have never posted about any individual leaving UConn for any reason. Although in some cases, you must admit, it is the elephant in the room.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And declaring for the draft early is a move to another team also. Both involve leaving the team they are on. But hey, it's your board, and I have never posted about any individual leaving UConn for any reason. Although in some cases, you must admit, it is the elephant in the room.
My understanding is that the elephant is transferring to Alabama......?

Reaction Score
Are you 10 years old

Reaction Score
I believe her key word was “schools”.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Man, are you going to be surprised!

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
Yea I was getting to ask this question: Is it really an issue if it is something most people are looking forward to?

IT IS AN ISSUE! Do you see the last year listed? We only have five players! If anyone gets injured we won't be able to play any games. How many times are we going to finish a game with three or four players if someone fouls out? A five person roster in D1 basketball is going to be a disaster!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom