The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Double Click on the UCONN_Years.gif to expand:

Attachments

• UCONN_Years.gif
    UCONN_Years.gif
    51.2 KB · Views: 859
Reaction Score
The only person who would have a need to be concerned about it doesn't seem to be. Looks like Auriemma will keep bringing in talent and let it sort itself out. I'd do the same. Only thing worse than having too much talent is not having enough. And it looks like he's not interested in the latter.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Seems like the BY complained about a lack of depth for years. Now we’re complaining about too many players. If I was Geno, which problem would I rather have? Let me think about that.....?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Seems like the BY complained about a lack of depth for years. Now we’re complaining about too many players. If I was Geno, which problem would I rather have? Let me think about that.....?
One of my points was if the roster is too large, without adequate playing time, there may be a diamond in the rough that we won't know about until it is too late.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The idea of early departures in WBB comes with a caveat. You can only leave early for the W if you turn 22 during your draft year for American players and 20 for international players. The age limit of 22 restricts just about all US born players until after their jr season in college and many until after their snr season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of my points was if the roster is too large, without adequate playing time, there may be a diamond in the rough that we won't know about until it is too late.
I’m pretty confident that if there is any coach in the country who can both identify and develop a “Diamond in the rough” it’s Geno. Another way to look at this is to think about the UConn players who have left over the past 10 years. Outside of EDD, who left before the 1st Fall Semester, can you name one player who turned out to be a true gem after leaving UConn?

Reaction Score
The idea of early departures in WBB comes with a caveat. You can only leave early for the W if you turn 22 during your draft year for American players and 20 for international players. The age limit of 22 restricts just about all US born players until after their jr season in college and many until after their snr season.
Yes I know there are few that can make that leap, but for very good teams with pro prospects and an occasional one eligible to do so, I suspect that the number making that move, may still exceed the number that take a fifth year. I don't really expect many in either category.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Players come, players go, whether you have a large or small roster.

Injuries happen, whether you have a large or small roster.

Form comes and goes, whether you have a large or small roster.

I'd prefer a large roster to deal with "these issues" than a small one. I imagine Geno would too.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes I know there are few that can make that leap, but for very good teams with pro prospects and an occasional one eligible to do so, I suspect that the number making that move, may still exceed the number that take a fifth year. I don't really expect many in either category.
Who’s talking about 5th year players? My point is that the vast majority of WBB players will put in 4 years, earn their degrees and then consider their options.

Reaction Score
The 5th year won't have an immediate impact at UConn since UConn has no seniors. But how will it impact recruiting? And while colleges will honor the four year scholarship there is no guarantee - or requirement - to any of these "5th year" players that they will be offered another year at their current school.

I suspect that any player wishing to take advantage of the 5th year will do it thru the graduate portal. Excepting HS players like Saylor of course, but those have been very few. It will be interesting to see the activity in the portal for graduating seniors over the next 2 - 3 years.

P.S. GRIFFBIIFF20 comments notwithstanding. I was very careful to avoid any mention of transfer. I am not in anyway suggesting or advocating a transfer for anyone. In fact everything I wrote is predicated that all players WILL COMPLETE a full four years of eligibility! And my comments with respect to 5th year players refer to the entire universe of players not any particular college.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I’m pretty confident that if there is any coach in the country who can both identify and develop a “Diamond in the rough” it’s Geno. Another way to look at this is to think about the UConn players who have left over the past 10 years. Outside of EDD, who left before the 1st Fall Semester, can you name one player who turned out to be a true gem after leaving UConn?
I'm afraid to reply, LOL

Reaction Score
Things have a way of working out. The minutes issue won't be as drastic if Westbrook goes pro, but if she returns, many minutes open up in 2022-2023. CW, ONO, and EW will all likely move to the WNBA by that time.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It is a nice sort of problem to have. It might not be too much of an overstatement to say that UConn will be close to having the two best teams in the US next season. Although it is always shaky to make predictions, especially about the future, it seems likely, bar injury, that next year's starting five for the first game will be ONO, Paige, Edwards, Westbrook (if she stays), Williams and Muhl (if Westbrook leaves). First off the bench will of course be Azzi and Anna, if Anna is OK, and Aubrey. THEN, as deep reserves, we have DeBerry, McClean, Poffenbarger, Caroline and Gabriel. As the season progresses, both the starting lineups and the most called upon reserves may change and probably will. You could easily imagine a team made up of the non-starters (as imagined above) that would not only win the Big East but probably go undefeated in league play and be very competitive at the Dance. We should all have such problems!! Practices next year may well be more competitive than all but a few games.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just look at this season with all the players we have on the roster. Suddenly Anna is out (saw her at the end of the last game in a boot and "sleeve" on her leg limping - hope she comes back this year, but it seems doubtful). Given her injuries, it's possible she may not be 100% effective next year.

Paige keeps tweaking her ankle, and missed 1 game this season. Nika was in and out for the first few months with injuries. Evina is dealing with chronic knee issues. A roster of 10 scholarship players has been as low as 8. You just never know how injuries will affect a team.

People keep asking "how is Geno going to keep everyone happy"? I have 2 answers for that. First, that's not his job. It really isn't. His job is to recruit, develop players, and win. Every single kid coming in knows exactly how good their teammates are, and how hard it will be to earn a starting spot and playing time.

The kids who practice the best and who produce in games will play the most. Period. Take Nika for example. She's a PG. She verbaled after Paige did, who is the best player in the country. Nika knew how good Paige was projected to be, and her attitude was (paraphrasing) "I'm a very competitive person and I look forward to being her teammate and competing with her for PT".

Which leads me to my 2nd point. UCONN is not for everyone. No matter how much kids talk to former players, read their comments, know how HARD it is at UCONN, the reality is still different from what they expected. Some will thrive, some won't.

It's possible (maybe even likely) Evina will leave after this season for the WNBA, like Morgan Tuck did. It's probable that Geno has told the core players that minutes will be less next season in non-competitive games. And you never know how injuries or sicknesses will affect the team. Remember when UCONN lost Sveta AND Shea in the same season? Everything will work out, and how blessed are we to have "too much talent" as our biggest issue!!

Worry about what you can control. The rest will take care of itself! UCONN has always been, and always will be, TEAM first.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is a nice sort of problem to have. It might not be too much of an overstatement to say that UConn will be close to having the two best teams in the US next season. Although it is always shaky to make predictions, especially about the future, it seems likely, bar injury, that next year's starting five for the first game will be ONO, Paige, Edwards, Westbrook (if she stays), Williams and Muhl (if Westbrook leaves). First off the bench will of course be Azzi and Anna, if Anna is OK, and Aubrey. THEN, as deep reserves, we have DeBerry, McClean, Poffenbarger, Caroline and Gabriel. As the season progresses, both the starting lineups and the most called upon reserves may change and probably will. You could easily imagine a team made up of the non-starters (as imagined above) that would not only win the Big East but probably go undefeated in league play and be very competitive at the Dance. We should all have such problems!! Practices next year may well be more competitive than all but a few games.
always shaky to make predictions, especially about the future
What else is there to make predictions about if not the future?
And Azzi isn't coming off the bench; she'll start beside Slim for the next (?) several years. There are actually some who consider Fudd the better (shooter) of the two. Scary.
Doubters watch this: Azzi Fudd workout highlights with Chris Brickley - YouTube

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
What else is there to make predictions about if not the future?
And Azzi isn't coming off the bench; she'll start beside Slim for the next (?) several years. There are actually some who consider Fudd the better (shooter) of the two. Scary.
Some people considered Poffenbarger a great shooter. So far, she is 1 for 9 on 3 pointers, 2 for 13 overall. So, it remains to be seen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom